• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation thread IV: Photoshop rumors and image memes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
No Prime from Retro confirmed:[

Or you are taking a cheapshot at the series. If that's the case, remember folks, he likes Steel Diver!!!!!!!!

I liked Steel Diver until it was released. And despised Miyamoto when I read it was his fault for halting the director.

But you aren't really expecting a Metroid Prime 4 are you? Just looking at the hirings alone, I would suggest you expect Prime quality towards a new type of game that has broader appeal to western masses. Most probably a new FPS. A new bioshock/systemshock/perfect dark/ etc of this era.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
Seriously, when you take a look at websites dedicated to the industry, you can only be shocked by the amount of people leaving even big & reputable studios, to jump to the Indie trend.

I'm not even sure now if it's a good move to apply to these companies rather than searching a fun & healthy little indie team to work with. But the difference of resources is always worrying me, the history shows that deep titles with polished background, writing, complex graphics and intricate gameplay, originates more from the first than the latter.

Further during the lifespan of the Wii U, we could really expect a shift in the ratio between classic retail games with large means and more intimate digital distributed ones. I'm picturing rather well a 2015 gamer buying 2 or 3 Nintendo software, then completing its library-for-the-year with 15 downloads, 12 of them being indie "small" games, and 3 more rich but only available through the future eShop.

(obviously, i over-use quoting marks because it's more complicated that "indie = small downloadable games" "big studios = big budget retail one")

Wii U Speculation Thread V: because Cryogenics is expensive.

EDIT: For those who lack the funds and resources to be frozen in time.

Or I like Wii Speculation Thread V: Iwata:
(laughs)

But you aren't really expecting a Metroid Prime 4 are you?

Not really, I was 50/50 on that being Retro's game.

I'd be as cool if not cooler with them doing a sequel to Donkey Kong Country Returns or a new IP along the lines you mentioned.

The former seems unlikely(a shame) but the latter would be exciting.....though risky.

BD1

Banned
Nintendo has money to spare and wants partner with 3rd parties, and if a big 3rd party needs money right now, it'd be THQ. I could see Nintendo producing a game with one of THQs prominent studios, possibly with the option to buy the studio. Similar to the deals they have with KoeiTecmo or the Monolith situation.

Makes a lot of sense. With Retro, a resurrected NST, close partnership with studios like Monster/Next Level games, rekindled relationship with Silicon Knights (?) and then buying another established studio from THQ, Nintendo would have a pretty strong western roster of developers. Iwata might finally find the mega western hit he's been craving.

But which THQ studio would they want?

Makes a lot of sense. With Retro, a resurrected NST, close partnership with studios like Monster/Next Level games, rekindled relationship with Silicon Knights (?) and then buying another established studio from THQ, Nintendo would have a pretty strong western roster of developers. Iwata might finally find the mega western hit he's been craving.

Relic. Oh please Relic.

All of them have some real value. THQ Montreal is probably the most interesting one because it's lead by Patrice Désilets (the creator of Assassin's Creed). But you also have Vigil (Darksiders), Volition (Saints Row) and Relic (Warhammer and Company of Heroes).

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

I don't think Nintendo will ever 'buy' a studio again. Or engage in long term second party contractual work like Rare and Silicon Knights. They've been burned too many times.

Most likely, if they're working closely with Western studios and publishers, it will be on a per-game basis. EG: Silicon Knights making Eternal Darkness Wii U, and some exclusive stuff or content from THQ. But no massive buyouts.

wsippel

Banned
I don't think Nintendo will ever 'buy' a studio again. Or engage in long term second party contractual work like Rare and Silicon Knights. They've been burned too many times.

Most likely, if they're working closely with Western studios and publishers, it will be on a per-game basis. EG: Silicon Knights making Eternal Darkness Wii U, and some exclusive stuff or content from THQ. But no massive buyouts.
I wouldn't say they won't ever buy a studio again, but they'd probably do one or two games with them first to see if their philosophies are compatible. The last company they acquired was MobiClip - obviously not a game developer, but a development house nevertheless. And they didn't close shop, so it wasn't just to transfer technology and patents over. Per game contracts are a lot more likely, though.

wiiu_reldate6nu1n.jpg

From here. (a BNP Paribas report)

Do they know something we -or I if I'm late to the news again- don't? (though I doubt it if they "think" competitors won't launch anything in 2012)

I thought the "slogan" was "In Time For Year-End Holiday Season".

Or maybe just an error.

HylianTom

Banned
I wouldn't say they won't ever buy a studio again, but they'd probably do one or two games with them first to see if their philosophies are compatible. The last company they acquired was MobiClip - obviously not a game developer, but a development house nevertheless. And they didn't close shop, so it wasn't just to transfer technology and patents over. Per game contracts are a lot more likely, though.
True. We've seen them poaching talent over the past year, plucking notable developers from various studios to bring into the fold within Nintendo's own development houses. I'll bet that they continue this habit along with special projects coordinated with outside parties. Seems to be working pretty well.

Wii U Speculation Thread V: Doom and Gloom until June

Wii U Speculation Thread V: Rumored needles in theoretical haystacks.

Wii U Speculation Thread V: Eagerly anticipati
ng inevitable disappointment.

Wii U Speculation Thread V: This time for real, guys.

BD1

Banned
wiiu_reldate6nu1n.jpg

From here. (a BNP Paribas report)

Do they know something we don't? (though I doubt it if they "think" competitors won't launch anything in 2012)

Or maybe just an error.

I think there is some lost in translation here, since nothing has been officially confirmed other than it will launch before the end of 2012. I think it's a safe bet that it will be November though.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

Pretty much. If Nintendo buys a studio, it will be the end point of several successful projects. They're unlikely to forge long term second partner agreements, instead work on a project-by-project basis for partnerships.

It's more economic, less risky, opens more doors, and they still get what they want in the end. And, if it goes smoothly over and over, they can look towards putting down big dollars for the whole package.

Or maybe just an error.

I'm banking on the 2012 holiday seasons. Seems like the most reasonable release period. Full reveal at E3 2012, a few months worth of hard marketing, and a holiday launch.

I think there is some lost in translation here, since nothing has been officially confirmed other than it will launch before the end of 2012. I think it's a safe bet that it will be November though.

I'm banking on the 2012 holiday seasons. Seems like the most reasonable release period. Full reveal at E3 2012, a few months worth of hard marketing, and a holiday launch.

Was hoping for a miracle damn it ;p

PogiJones

Banned

I didn't know this. When did they get burned from buying western developers? I could use a history lesson.

GCX

Nintendo won't buy any studios they don't have a long and working history with. And even then they probably won't do it.

I mean even HAL is technically a 3rd party studio even though the president of Nintendo is a former HAL employee.

Nibel

Speculation Thread 5: The insider is in another castle

Nah, that one with "Final Dawn" was perfect, I'm still smiling :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom