• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread of Brains Beware: Wii U Re-Unveiling At E3 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bear

The controller is NOT going to be less than $50, MSRP on /360 controllers is fricken 59.99! Think about that.

I'm pretty sure he means the contribution to the console price. As far as we know the Wii U controller won't be sold at retail at all, but controllers (and peripherals in general) pretty much always have high profit margins.

Log4Girlz

I have this nagging feeling that Sony's machine will have at least 3 GB of ram...no I'm not kidding. I'm expecting 4. No I'm not high. lol

All I really care about spec-wise is the memory and flash memory and Nintendo's own policies regarding how much space dev's can use/demand. They lost one of the greatest games this gen (Super Meat Boy) due to those policies and choices. Other than that I could care less about the specs, I just want great games.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Wii U Cpu is based in Power PC arquitecture, not more not less. Arquitecture is the important word here.
Technically, there hasn't been a PowerPC ISA since 2006, when the PowerPC ISA ver 2.02 was merged with 'Book E' extensions to produce the Power ISA ver 2.03. Currently Power ISA is at ver 2.06 rev B.

But the Power ISA is just that - an ISA - an instruction set architecture. Implementations can vary from single-issue, in-order to massively super-scalar, OOE, and those'd all be 'power ISA'. While there have been programming-model tweaks and twists differentiating POWER* from PPC over the generations, this is not the gist of the argument we're having here. The argument, from my POV, is what design the new chip was based upon, as people seldom design such things from scratch. My position is that, WiiU's CPU design will not be based on anything that was released under a PowerPC product name, but it will be derived from a chip known as POWER7, with added extra 'traits' from the Gekko design (which was a PowerPC product, in essence).

* I hate arbitrary capitalization, but I'll have to start using them in this thread, since the whole discussion rotates around that.

AniHawk

And I will repeat (third time I think) that this time, Sony for example won't have Cell or Blu-ray costs-i+d that were the main problem in the costs of ps3 and its crazy design.

Make a powerful machine (in theory) will be easier if you cut this costs now.

But we will see.

why would sony cut blu ray from the machine? or do you mean comparatively high costs?

guek

Banned
It is soon to judge this to be honest. It is difficult to calculate the performance of any of this machines right now and more difficult to compare them.

But I think nintendo will be behind again, but I don't know the size of the step.

That's the big question, isn't it? :p

lherre

Accurate
why would sony cut blu ray from the machine? or do you mean comparatively high costs?

Log4Girlz has already answer it. I mean that put "now" a blu-ray unit in ps4 is very cheap, not the same in ps3 launch where blu-ray was new tech with a very high costs to manufacture.

Log4Girlz

The PS3 was such a fiasco. Expensive blue laser diodes which had a massive, unexpected shortage early on. Massive R&D with Cell. A shitty contract with Nvidia. No I don't know how shitty, maybe not as bad as what MS had to deal with during the original Xbox, but I do know that there's a reason everyone's going AMD next gen with their GPU's. Internal harddrives standard. Ports everywhere. All that for a system which released a year later than the Xbox 360 and had nothing to show for it. It did not produce significantly better graphics.

Kutaragi was sacked for a reason. I hope with Sony's next console they really spend every penny frugally so that the lion's share of the BOM goes towards what really matter...the holy trinity...CPU GPU RAM.

Jackano

The PS3 was such a fiasco. Expensive blue laser diodes which had a massive, unexpected shortage early on. Massive R&D with Cell. A shitty contract with Nvidia. No I don't know how shitty, maybe not as bad as what MS had to deal with during the original Xbox, but I do know that there's a reason everyone's going AMD next gen with their GPU's. Internal harddrives standard. Ports everywhere. All that for a system which released a year later than the Xbox 360 and had nothing to show for it. It did not produce significantly better graphics.

Kutaragi was sacked for a reason. I hope with Sony's next console they really spend every penny frugally so that the lion's share of the BOM goes towards what really matter...the holy trinity...CPU GPU RAM.

That was an interesting post, until this part where I laughted.

All this talk about IBM chip nomenclature is just making me think
CoTir.jpg

blu

What is the reason for that chance being negligble?
GCN appeared too late in the console design cycle, and I sincerely doubt nintendo would willingly pull a Xenos. All IMHO, of course.

DCKing

GCN appeared too late in the console design cycle, and I sincerely doubt nintendo would willingly pull a Xenos. All IMHO, of course.
Okay. But then again, Nintendo did pull a Xenos with the GCN though. Flipper was in many ways a forerunner of the Radeon 9xxx series much like Xenos was the forerunner of the HD2xxx series if I remember correctly.

If the Wii GPU has started design in 2009 I guess it's definitely possible that it got to the drawing board at the same time as the GCN shader architecture. The Wii U (as well as the PS4 and 720) may in fact have been the reason to develop the GCN architecture. It also explains why the devkits may still be using an old chip - it takes time to have NEC produce the new GCN chips at 28nm (like bgassassin proposed).

Yamauchi

Banned
It seems that some people are putting a lot of stock into Nintendo 'learning their lesson' from the 3DS launch. I remember similar talk prior to the launch of the Gamecube--that there wouldn't be a dearth of software as there had been on the N64--only for Nintendo to launch it with Luigi's Mansion as the star app. Personally, I'm not all that optimistic.

From the news today we know the next Xbox won't be out until 2013, and the same almost certainly holds true for the PS3. Nintendo could, in my opinion, totally blow their headstart by releasing inferior hardware combined with a poor selection of games. We know the former point to be a disappointing fact, so I am hoping Nintendo will pull it together on the software front.

DCKing said:
Okay. But then again, Nintendo did pull a Xenos with the GCN though. Flipper was in many ways a forerunner of the Radeon 9xxx series much like Xenos was the forerunner of the HD2xxx series if I remember correctly.
I don't know how much they share and I doubt it was the plan from the getgo, but yeah, ArtX was purchased during the GameCube design process and went on to make the R300 which released within a year of GameCube.

blu

Depends what you mean by the 9xxx series - that line contained both r2xx and r3xx chips, and those two are a generational leap apart (and a rather big one, at that). Feature-wise, flipper is much closer to the r2xx, despite r3xx being the next ArtX design.

I expect Nintendo to fuck up. Well, we all do, no ?

I don't expect it to be too big this time around, but I do expect it to happen with the USB ports. If anyone from Nintendo is lurking around, please find a way to influence those with control over that to add one USB 3.0 port for external harddrive use. That's all we're asking. And with optional installs, I'm sure devs would appreciate it as well. :)

The controller is NOT going to be less than $50, MSRP on PS3/360 controllers is fricken 59.99! Think about that.

It's already been said a couple times, but I'm talking in wholesale terms. I said awhile back that it would probably retail for at least $99 when considering all cost factors.

He gave us a big hint at the amount of RAM at least.

He did. Which confirmed my belief that we're looking at 1.5GB. And unless there is a density change around the corner, I expect the other two console to be at 2GB. I said earlier that the gap between the consoles would be determined by Wii U's GPU, but I meant to include the memory as well. The chances are very slim, but I do see one scenario where the gap can be negligible. But that's a "perfect scenario" for Wii U.

StevieP

Banned
I don't expect it to be too big this time around, but I do expect it to happen with the USB ports. If anyone from Nintendo is lurking around, please find a way to influence those with control over that to add one USB 3.0 port for external harddrive use. That's all we're asking. And with optional installs, I'm sure devs would appreciate it as well. :)

As you have probably already figured, USB3 won't happen. I'll be happy if there are more than 2 USB 2.0 ports.

He did. Which confirmed my belief that we're looking at 1.5GB. And unless there is a density change around the corner, I expect the other two console to be at 2GB. I said earlier that the gap between the consoles would be determined by Wii U's GPU, but I meant to include the memory as well. The chances are very slim, but I do see one scenario where the gap can be negligible. But that's a "perfect scenario" for Wii U.

I think you're being too optimistic here. The original IBM press release mentions "energy saving", which would completely disclude it from a stock Power7 chip. That much is obvious. One that is customized to hell and back to reduce its footprint? Maybe. But then 1.5GB of memory? I'd put money on 1GB being in the main pool. There may be some side pool with 88mb or 128mb or something, of a different kind of memory than the main pool, but I'd still place my bets closer to 1GB than 1.5 or 2.

sfried

And are we still talking about the Wii U or are we done and just call it "doomed, etc."?

I still want to see what Wii U will utilize as architecture for playing modern (Wii U) games and playing old (Wii) games. If they can't stand by their legacy TEV, will they use a tessalator like what people here are saying?

sfried

They'll either hard code TEV onto their GPU or their just stick a Hollywood in it.
More likely the former considering the cost and space. That said, if Dolphin does emulate Wii/GC games and effects without much of a problem (although I've heard it has taken some fixes per game), I wouldn't be surprised if they use the GPU to just entirely emulate TEV texture layers.

DCKing

I expect the other two console to be at 2GB.
I really don't think that's going to happen. If the consoles release in 2013, they'll have 4 GB. Your phone will have 4 GB in 2013, too.

Also, how would 1.5 GB work in a console? 192-bit bus and more complex chips? Seperate buses? Differentiated memory like the PS3? I thought we were pretty sure the large pool was unified? Why use 6x 4 Gbit chips to fill up the motherboard when you can use 4x 8 Gbit chips as well, which is cheaper in the long run? I don't see how 1.5 GB makes sense.

More likely the former considering the cost and space. That said, if Dolphin does emulate Wii/GC games and effects without much of a problem (although I've heard it has taken some fixes per game), I wouldn't be surprised if they use the GPU to just entirely emulate TEV texture layers.

Ehhh, Dolphin really doesn't work all that well.
It's far from perfect, and some games will not run at all.
The only way to do a Dolphin like emulation would be to code a specific emulator for every single game.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Still refuse to believe it exists. 3 FUCKING E3s. Bunch of cock teases.

We'll get a trailer this year, I'm sure. Trust me, it's going to be the flagship title for the Wii U's launch. (First party wise.)

And it's totally going on my Bingo Card this year.

Gaborn

We'll get a trailer this year, I'm sure. Trust me, it's going to be the flagship title for the Wii U's launch. (First party wise.)

Right along with Mother 3.
God I'm so bitter

blu

Not disagreeing with the above, just a small remark: Dolphin et al is a bad example of the BC one can expect from nintendo's next console. Dolphin can afford to produce fps all over the place; WiiU cannot. Dolphin can require arbitrary high-specs to mend that; WiiU cannot. Dolphin can afford breakage in the odd game; WiiU cannot. Unless nintendo pulled a ps2-classics-on-PSN (which is more of a VC than a BC, and worse than xb360's scanty BC), you can expect that when nintendo say BC, they mean clock-perfect BC. So the question is not what can merely emulate a TEV (pretty much everything found on the shelves these days can), the question is: what can emulate TEV not lagging a single clock? And I believe an integral part of the answer to that is in the rumored hefty edram bin.

[Nintex]

I doubt it'll ever be released at this point, it'll probably end up like Super Mario 128 with the ideas put into other games. With that said I have a feeling we might see something like a Pikmin-like game starring Mii's because a game based on having many characters on the screen makes sense to do with Mii's. In that case they can also dumb it down.. I mean streamline it for a larger audience. Kinda like how Wave Race and Pilotwings showed up in Wii Sports Resort.

Donnie

I really don't think that's going to happen. If the consoles release in 2013, they'll have 4 GB. Your phone will have 4 GB in 2013, too.

Also, how would 1.5 GB work in a console? 192-bit bus and more complex chips? Seperate buses? Differentiated memory like the PS3? I thought we were pretty sure the large pool was unified? Why use 6x 4 Gbit chips to fill up the motherboard when you can use 4x 8 Gbit chips as well, which is cheaper in the long run? I don't see how 1.5 GB makes sense.

The absolute top of the range £500+ phones might have 4GB of shit slow RAM in 2013, but it won't be RAM comparable to the kind of thing used in a console at the time.

One of the next gen consoles may have 4GB, but that's the absolute top end and it wouldn't surprise me if they all had less than that.

BY2K

Membero Americo
[Nintex];33521380 said:
I doubt it'll ever be released at this point, it'll probably end up like Super Mario 128 with the ideas put into other games. With that said I have a feeling we might see something like a Pikmin-like game starring Mii's because a game based on having many characters on the screen makes sense to do with Mii's. In that case they can also dumb it down.. I mean streamline it for a larger audience. Kinda like how Wave Race and Pilotwings showed up in Wii Sports Resort.

Shun the nonbeliever!

But really, I think Pikmin 3 will happen, and it's happening in 2012.

Nooo!
Brain_Stew got his account taken by his brother and he's trying to suicide it.
;_;

Huh? Where? This I gotta see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom