• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread of Brains Beware: Wii U Re-Unveiling At E3 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Especially in the internet age when the jig would be up from people taking photos of the consoles in transit. Not even Apple really bothers with this anymore even though they have their own stores.
And good luck not getting leaks, ie. from French third parties.

DCKing

I never finished Prime, but I did play bits of it. There's the chance they can...and add more shaders and effects to boot. But then again it looks like most 3DS games look far less complex than Wii games, but with better shaders, masking that fact. Could be because the games are early. :(
The 3DS has amazing potential. In theory, it can push (slightly) less polygons, but more textures and shaders than the Wii. It even does tesselation, though no games use it (so it might not work well). That potential gets almost halved because it has to do many things twice while rendering 3D. Still, it has amazing potential, and Metroid Prime could look fantastic and work really well with the 3D screen. I'm not sure whether I'd prefer a Metroid Prime 3DS or Metroid Prime U.

The 3DS' hardware is pretty nice, and I do think it reflects the hardware design the Wii U will take. Pick a small box and small power consumption, and squeeze all the power out of it you can get.

Log4Girlz

The 3DS has amazing potential. In theory, it can push (slightly) less polygons, but more textures and shaders than the Wii. It even does tesselation, though no games use it (so it might not work well). That potential gets almost halved because it has to do many things twice while rendering 3D. Still, it has amazing potential, and Metroid Prime could look fantastic and work really well with the 3D screen. I'm not sure whether I'd prefer a Metroid Prime 3DS or Metroid Prime U.

The 3DS' hardware is pretty nice, and I do think it reflects the hardware design the Wii U will take. Pick a small box and small power consumption, and squeeze all the power out of it you can get.

Metroid Prime is the one game for Wii U that I WOULDN'T want the hud to disappear to the second screen lol. They handled that so brilliantly.

watershed

Banned
AR scanning...

At other times, a map/objective log would be handy.

Scanning in Metroid using the 2nd screen would be pretty cool but at the moment the wii u can't do AR unless you hold the controller backwards and use a tv as the viewfinder which would be incredibly awkward.

BurntPork

Banned
Why is everyone assuming that a launch immediately after the reveal would be a bad thing? Apple do it all the time, and last I checked they're doing all right these days.

2006:

Apple gets away with selling laptops for twice as much as everyone else, so PS3 costing $600 shouldn't matter!

Log4Girlz

Can somebody photoshop this picture to show Combat Visor action on the TV and Scan/Thermal Visor on the Upad?

Don't have photoshop, but this pic remindedme about how bad I would love a follow up to Link's Cross Bow training. Am I the only one? :( Jesus, being on rails...can't imagine TEH GRAPHIX

Credit to Metroid Killer for the mock ups.
MWLAo.jpg

60PJ1.jpg

DCKing

Thanks for posting those, but I'd love to to see the Wii U Zapper and a first-person mockup. Those two things are important for the idea I got. Done using MP3 screenshots will be just fine. I wish I was any good at Photoshop myself.

My idea is to use the Wiimote + Nunchuck for the controls in the game, but use the tablet screen mounted onto the zapper for scanning/thermal visor/morph ball mode.

Scanning in Metroid using the 2nd screen would be pretty cool but at the moment the wii u can't do AR unless you hold the controller backwards and use a tv as the viewfinder which would be incredibly awkward.

Ah, kinda meant motion controls, sorry. The front facing camera is a limitation for that reason.

I don't think the Wiimote will go away, but it likely will be de-emphasized to show the consumer why they need to purchase the new shiny console.

I really think with how Sin and Punishment, Mario Galaxy 2, and FPS games are using the remote, the pointer functionality is just beginning to be explored. I'd hate to see what is essentially a giant DS screen be emphasized over the remote. The new controller has really killed a lot of hype for the new Nintendo console for me.

If what Log4Girlz says is true, then I don't see them using 28nm. I really don't see them targeting something that will be more expensive early on, especially if they're not doing it for power.

bg, when you say that you'd assume the use of the process for cooling instead of power, aren't you again assuming a powerful chip that would be too hot if not on a small process? All these assumptions make me think that's you are very much considering what you'd like to have as opposed to what the company needs for a successful console. You should be speculating on what produces the best bang for the buck and then limit the absolute (as opposed to relative) amount of that buck to something that will fit in a reasonable price range. Considering all that, does 28nm make sense?

I guess that depends on if I consider that target to be powerful in the first place. I don't know how many people would consider 640 ALUs to be powerful, but considering what's available I don't think "powerful" is the label I would use. And that's what I've been expecting it to be around. And as I've already told you, that's what I've been doing. And yes a 32nm or 28nm GPU makes a lot of sense in that regard.

ASIS

I don't think the Wiimote will go away, but it likely will be de-emphasized to show the consumer why they need to purchase the new shiny console.

I really think with how Sin and Punishment, Mario Galaxy 2, and FPS games are using the remote, the pointer functionality is just beginning to be explored. I'd hate to see what is essentially a giant DS screen be emphasized over the remote. The new controller has really killed a lot of hype for the new Nintendo console for me.

THANK YOU! I was very excited to see a Wiimote 2. A generation ahead of the original. I still hope they come up with something like that one day.

But on the bright side, the second screen is MUH easier for devs to use. It's alll optional and if they want completely traditional controls then they can do that as well. This controller will be better for multiplats but... Wiimote :'(.

TunaLover

I like the idea that some gaffer gave about Zelda, different timelines run parallel while you play, one screen showing what happened in past, the other shows what´s happening right now.

Xun

THANK YOU! I was very excited to see a Wiimote 2. A generation ahead of the original. I still hope they come up with something like that one day.

But on the bright side, the second screen is MUH easier for devs to use. It's alll optional and if they want completely traditional controls then they can do that as well. This controller will be better for multiplats but... Wiimote :'(.
A rebranded Wiimote will most likely happen, so who knows?

Indyana

[Nintex];33594478 said:
Oh and lets be honest here, Nintendo has given Sony and Microsoft 12 months to bolt a touchscreen on a controller in response to Wii U.
The minute EA or Ubisoft got a dev kit, Sony and Microsoft knew it.

LeleSocho

Banned
2) Smaller console = more consoles can fit in the same shelf space = happy retailers.

That was true some time ago... have you seen the last wii boxes and the 3ds ones? they are huge with a lot of wasted space... they should learn from Apple (and the others who copied them)

Donnie

Yes, at $349 it would not have been feasible. But I'm willing to bet everything in the system was available in 2006. Nothing shocking about the GPU, CPU, RAM. Nothing that wasn't out then. And if they dropped the tablet controller, they may have released something very similar though at a slightly higher price point than $349 (well, blu-ray would have driven the price up more, but hey blu-ray doesn't affect raw performance of the chipset). Performance would be like an Xbox 360 on steroids.

How much?, seriously lets bet..

PS3 came out in 2006 with significantly lower specs than WiiU will have and it cost $600-700, yet you're betting that WiiU could have been made in 2006 for slightly more than $349, seriously give me free money! :D

I mean in 2006 the best PC GPU's were 320 SPU R600 based GPU's, and that was a highend PC GPU.

HylianTom

Banned
I like the idea that some gaffer gave about Zelda, different timelines run parallel while you play, one screen showing what happened in past, the other shows what´s happening right now.

If Link were to have a fairy companion, I'd love to be able to control her via the tablet. She could scout ahead in dungeons, go through cracks and small holes in walls to access other areas, communicate with other characters, etc.

I guess that depends on if I consider that target to be powerful in the first place. I don't know how many people would consider 640 ALUs to be powerful, but considering what's available I don't think "powerful" is the label I would use. And that's what I've been expecting it to be around. And as I've already told you, that's what I've been doing. And yes a 32nm or 28nm GPU makes a lot of sense in that regard.
I consider it powerful... for a videogame console.

More than enough power to pull off a game I've had in my head for years. So that makes it powerful. To be perfectly honest the GCN was enough power to pull off the game in me noggin. But times a change.

Donnie

They are using a high tech approach to get '06 numbers on the cheap. This is where the advanced technology is coming in. It won't even be half as powerful as the competitors. PROVE ME WRONG NINTENDO.

See you say you aren't trolling but this post is bizarre. :D

Seriously, I believe you aren't trying to troll. But the fact is saying that WiiU's performance would have been possible in 2006 for $349 (even without the controller and even assuming your 50% more powerful assumption is correct) is just wrong, totally wrong. PS3 was a hot console that cost $650-$700 to make, now add 50%..

Also WiiU won't only be 50% more powerful, not a chance.

wsippel

Banned
Wwise supports WiiU as of six days ago. Does anybody care? Thought not. Still, first officially confirmed and actually available WiiU middleware as far as I know.

PetrCobra

Sounds amazing. It's ideas like this that make me believe the Wii U is going to be huge.

I consider it powerful... for a videogame console.

More than enough power to pull off a game I've had in my head for years. So that makes it powerful. To be perfectly honest the GCN was enough power to pull off the game in me noggin. But times a change.

I agree when looking at it from that angle. I was coming from the angle of what I expect the other consoles to be.

Wwise supports WiiU as of six days ago. Does anybody care? Thought not. Still, first officially confirmed and actually available WiiU middleware as far as I know.

AWES...I don't care.

I already don't like using dual analogs for FPSes, but this image just reminds me how much I HATE the layout of the U Pad. Having the stick circle pad directly above the buttons just seems horribly uncomfortable. Either move the circle pad below and to the left of the buttons like everyone else, or move the button cluster over to the left some.

wsippel

Banned
AWES...I don't care.
:(

Well, at least I stumbled across parts of the 3DS SDK along the way, and it seems Nintendo didn't strip the GPU down - geometry shaders and gaseous object rendering are still there as far as I can tell. Wrong system, but better than nothing...

EloquentM

aka Mannny
I already don't like using dual analogs for FPSes, but this image just reminds me how much I HATE the layout of the U Pad. Having the stick circle pad directly above the buttons just seems horribly uncomfortable. Either move the circle pad below and to the left of the buttons like everyone else, or move the button cluster over to the left some.

I'm not really worried about the U pad. Nintendo is pretty adept at making comfortable controllers.

Well, at least I stumbled across parts of the 3DS SDK along the way, and it seems Nintendo didn't strip the GPU down - geometry shaders and gaseous object rendering are still there as far as I can tell. Wrong system, but better than nothing...

Yeah, one of the devs said that fog/gas was hardcoded into the 3DS GPU a while ago.

Haha. I only said that because of your post. But that is interesting to know if it makes devs lives a little easier.

AzaK

I really do hope the final unit is smaller than the E3 variant. I know I keep going on about it, but that model was too big. I like my small systems.
I really don't want smaller, I want more power, and if it means they need to make it bigger, make it bigger. I have no problem having my original PS3 Phat. Even if they trimmed it to PS3 slim size minus the internal power brick it'd be big enough for more grunt.

Wow, Nintendo disappoints everyone again :p
If they're going 28nm purely for size/cooling then yeah colour me disappointed.

Metroid Prime is the one game for Wii U that I WOULDN'T want the hud to disappear to the second screen lol. They handled that so brilliantly.
I agree. The HUD is what gives you the sense of claustrophobia.

That's good to know. Thanks for the info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom