• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread of Brains Beware: Wii U Re-Unveiling At E3 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pikmin isn't big enough is it? I know it's something that GAF wants and something that sold well (I think the first did a mil right?), but it's not really a system mover...

royalan

I'm going to go with my gut and say Nintendo will actually lead the charge with a new IP for maximum splash.

It'll get gamers who've written Nintendo off as the Mario/Zelda/Metroid machine a reason to give the Wii U a second look, and it's not like Nintendo fans would say no to Ninty introducing a fresh new IP.

I actually see them doing this.

Hiltz

Nintendo could very well surprise us or it could slack off again like it did with the launch titles for Wii, DS, and 3DS. Pikmin 3 would be a significant improvement even though it would not likely be a system seller.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I think the safe bet is a new Mario at launch, either a NSMB sequel or 3D style. Nintendo still has to be freaked out at the 3DS launch, and will want to launch a major hitter right away. I'm betting on NSMB Wii U.

I also think Pikmin 3 will be at or near launch, along with maybe F-Zero or Star Fox as an attempt to show off the graphical capabilities of the system.

BurntPork

Banned
I'm going to go with my gut and say Nintendo will actually lead the charge with a new IP for maximum splash.

It'll get gamers who've written Nintendo off as the Mario/Zelda/Metroid machine a reason to give the Wii U a second look, and it's not like Nintendo fans would say no to Ninty introducing a fresh new IP.

I actually see them doing this.
I don't think they'll launch with a new IP, but they'll announce one at E3.

It's gotta be an EAD Tokyo game.

There's no other reason for them to brag about how few people/how little time Mario 3D Land took when Nintendo's usual hype M.O. is "THIS BASICALLY KILLED US AND WE POURED ALL OF OUR RESOURCES EVER IN TO THIS."

AntMurda

It's gotta be an EAD Tokyo game.

There's no other reason for them to brag about how few people/how little time Mario 3D Land took when Nintendo's usual hype M.O. is "THIS BASICALLY KILLED US AND WE POURED ALL OF OUR RESOURCES EVER IN TO THIS."

A lot of people did end up working on Mario 3D Land. They finished it in a year and a half which was great.

But New Super Mario Bros. Mii is definitely the Wii U showcase title for launch. Thats from EAD Kyoto.

A lot of people did end up working on Mario 3D Land. They finished it in a year and a half which was great.

But New Super Mario Bros. Mii is definitely the Wii U showcase title for launch. Thats from EAD Kyoto

I did not see anything to prove it would be a Showcase but I think they need it to move hardware because those games sell a ton

Maybe when we see new levels the graphics will look more complex

I see it as a needed Day 1 launch title

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I did not see anything to prove it would be a Showcase but I think they need it to move hardware because those games sell a ton

Maybe when we see new levels the graphics will look more complex

I see it as a needed Day 1 launch title

Right. I don't think it will show off the system, but it won't need to. That's why I think they'll have a secondary IP as their graphical show case.

EAD game sounds about right for launch, I think it's most likely. I don't know about showcase though....might showcase the streaming but not so much the console power or anything.

But New Super Mario Bros. Mii is definitely the Wii U showcase title for launch. Thats from EAD Kyoto.

Except for the part where they specifically said it was not a game in development, I guess.

we have never ever seen what Pikmin 3 looks like on Wii right?

Now its WiiU maybe it can be the graphical showcase, but Pikmin is all garden leaves and trees, rocks and water? So what can we compare it to? Uncharted 3 maybe?

Akai

At the same time it's hard to predict exactly what New Super Mario Brothers U will look like the next time it's shown. What we saw at E3 was merely a tech demo made more than a year before Wii U launch (and who knows how long before a 2D Mario actually hits Wii U, considering it's not guaranteed to be a launch title)...

Hiltz

Right. Nintendo's never shown any footage or screens of Pikmin 3 on the Wii. During E3 2010, Miyamoto stated that Pikmin 3 could have been shown off, but felt that there were too many big announcements already. The reason the game was moved over to Wii U was to benefit from the HD graphics and the capabilities of the controller.

Except for the part where they specifically said it was not a game in development, I guess.
Eh? I thought they just said they weren't going to announce any games in development, not that anything they showed was specifically not in development. Just like with the Wii, they made it clear that all those sports games were just tech demos, not necessarily things that would ever make it into a game. And then the system shipped with Wii Sports that had most of those "tech demo's" in it, and they did an Iwata Asks which showed that Wii Sports was in development as a real game before they showed the tech demos off.

Eh? I thought they just said they weren't going to announce any games in development, not that anything they showed was specifically not in development. Just like with the Wii, they made it clear that all those sports games were just tech demos, not necessarily things that would ever make it into a game. And then the system shipped with Wii Sports that had most of those "tech demo's" in it, and they did an Iwata Asks which showed that Wii Sports was in development as a real game before they showed the tech demos off.

The exact words were

"Just to be clear, nothing shown on the floor is a game currently in development, but they show a small glimpse in to the potential of the Wii U."

we have never ever seen what Pikmin 3 looks like on Wii right?

We haven't, BUT I'd say we will in an Iwata Laughs, as we saw the canned Kirby games in the Returns to Dream Land one.

And I highly doubt Nintendo isn't going to release NSMBMii, that's just a goldmine at launch waiting to happen, we'll finally at least have a launch Mario again.

when people say Mario 64 sequel do they mean return to the Castle concept with paintings as levels?

That's a minor mechanic that while interesting, is rather inconsequential.

I'm really referring to large, open worlds; a hub that is expansive and all-encompassing (and interesting), and a setting that takes place within the "traditional" aspects of the Mushroom Kingdom.

BurntPork

Banned

I'm really referring to large, open worlds; a hub that is expansive and all-encompassing (and interesting), and a setting that takes place within the "traditional" aspects of the Mushroom Kingdom.
It's not gonna happen. Nintendo's goal is combining 2D and 3D Mario now. Hope you liked 3D Land.

LeleSocho

Banned
when people say Mario 64 sequel do they mean return to the Castle concept with paintings as levels?

plus huge levels without any kind of mini planets
oh and the painting thing was awesome for us Italians because we are calling levels (other than levels(livelli)) "quadri" which actually means paintings

so what you want is a huge hub of say Mushroom Kingdom Castle + good size Kingdom Town with gates to enter levels in many places. So a hub that encourages deeper exploration and levels that are about twice as big as a regular Mario 64 level

?

Personally wonder what it would be like if Mario was running in a place like Xenoblade's open field with platforming all around

Mario JRPG + Platform = Profit?

I dunno but I think they do need to try huge open world platforming again

It's not gonna happen. Nintendo's goal is combining 2D and 3D Mario now. Hope you liked 3D Land.

Why would that be their goal, though? SMG 1 & 2 and NSMBW co-exist as separate entities.

I see 3D Land as just wanting to incorporate aspects of the 3D Marios into the NSMB framework. And of course, the 3D elements of gameplay make for fantastic showcases of the 3DS' stereoscopic effects.

so what you want is a huge hub of say Mushroom Kingdom Castle + good size Kingdom Town with gates to enter levels in many places. So a hub that encourages deeper exploration and levels that are about twice as big as a regular Mario 64 level

?

Personally wonder what it would be like if Mario was running in a place like Xenoblade's open field with platforming all around

Mario JRPG + Platform = Profit?

I dunno but I think they do need to try huge open world platforming again

I would be fine with SM64 sized levels/hub--I hadn't given much thought to anything beyond that scope. In fact, it may be detrimental to go much beyond that size. But I'm also not a huge RPG fan, so that may have something to do with it ;)

Still, yes...they do need to go back to open worlds. PLEASE, NINTENDO.

Actually, I loved Sunshine. I just missed some of the diversity of themes in the level settings. Although, they were pretty diverse working within the confines of Isle Delfino, when you think about it.

I also wished for MORE levels. There were less than half of SM64 :\ The hub was pretty great, though.

And the FLUDD-less levels were actually my least favorite aspect of the game!

royalan

So basically what you want is Mario Sunshine II: Fludd's Revenge but set in the Mushroom Kingdom. I'd be down with that.

I LOVED Mario Sunshine and I'm not fucking afraid to admit it.

maeda

I don't think anyone would mind a Mario with a dozen of open levels designed at the level of Bianco Hills. The fact that Bianco Hills so favorably compares to the best levels across the entire series is quite remarkable, considering how open it is. Bianco Hills is truly an ultimate Mario playground. There is so much to do there! Traversing the ropes high above the lake, while being blinded by the beautiful sun and water is an exhilarating experience.

SomeDude

Banned
Super Mario Bros wii and the upcoming mii feel conservative and safe compared to games like donkey kong country returns and rayman origins.

If they do launch with a Mario game, it won't be the Super Mario Mii we saw at E3.
It'll be a much more different game from that.
And they'll probably launch with more "core" type games, because that'll be who's buying it at launch.
They'll want to foster a healthy userbase for third party games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom