• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread The Third: Casting Dreams in The Castle of Miyamoto

guek

Banned
You know, some people accuse Nintendo of being a franchise whoring company, but if you talk to any Nintendo fan, they want remakes or sequels to everything they do.

damn straight we do.

it's easy to bet on a sure thing though. I can say I want a new IP from nintendo and mean it but I have no idea what a new IP from them that isn't casual oriented would even really look like.

Log4Girlz

damn straight we do.

it's easy to bet on a sure thing though. I can say I want a new IP from nintendo and mean it but I have no idea what a new IP from them that isn't casual oriented would even really look like.

That isn't casual oriented? Who knows :O

HylianTom

Banned
Nintendo has tons of amazing and unique IPs which are worth of a sequel - that's the difference.

Not to mention the older IPs that have been sleeping, dormant, often forgotten.

There's an entire Nintendo Universe of characters, genres, worlds.. it's a big part of what makes the company seem so incredibly wealthy - and durable.

Log4Girlz

There's an entire Nintendo Universe of characters, genres, worlds.. it's a big part of what makes the company seem so incredibly wealthy - and durable.

They have a touch unmatched by anyone. They really are the Disney of the videogame world, and when I say Disney, I mean the company of old.

Christine

I'd like to see a D+D style game where the UPad user is the dungeon master who can dynamically (within reason) trigger events, scripts, story lines, etc

Model it on HeroQuest. The essential element this game concept needs in order to work is pre-made dungeon content; user-generated content absolutely cannot be the focus. It needs a lengthy and robust campaign mode, balanced for several modes of play: 1P Hero, 1P DM vs AI party, Asymmetric DM vs party, MP Hero. Bias the mechanics towards success for the heroes, but give the DM enough monsters and traps to be a serious threat to the party. Give the DM XP awards for good play and let him spend it to upgrade monsters.

frostbyte

So guys, any new news or just speculation as usual?

I want to see more Nintendo IPs revived. Kid Icarus is a start but I want something less conventional...like Nazo no Murasame Jo or STARTROPICS! (AceBandage has embedded this firmly in my mind and I'll be disappointed when Retro's game isn't this :p)

I hope SEGA gives Wii U all of its backing. SEGA has such amazing IPs, they could do the Wii U wonders, absolute wonders. I guess I'm thinking of the SEGA of the 80s and 90s.... Sigh.

I hope SEGA gives Wii U all of its backing. SEGA has such amazing IPs, they could do the Wii U wonders, absolute wonders.

PSO2 on Wii U. DO EET SEGA.

It would be a pretty amazing thing if this happened and it was cross platform like PS2/PC on PSU...Wii U, PC and Vita all on one server. It'd be glorious.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Yeah, blu would be a much better person to ask. I don't really get the Flipper architecture. I simply assumed that each pixel pipeline ended in a ROP, and that those ROPs were part of the TEV unit (jumping to conclusions by looking at performance metrics). Now that I look at the die, that's probably not how it worked.
Ok, Flipper time.

Flipper's TEV is a part of Flipper's 'classic' pixel pipeline, which, as wsippel noted, used to end with a ROP unit (and thus, 4 pipelines = 4 ROPs), but nowadays this rule is no more, i.e. the logical unit referred to as ROP is not 1:1 matched versus 'pipelines', mainly because 'pipelines' are lost as such. Some modern architectures don't even have dedicated ROP logic per se, e.g. NV's since G80 (IIRC) where the shader units have read access to the fb (technically, to an fb cache), so the ROP functionality is done via shader ops. Back to TEV, though. TEV is a very sophisticated 'texture combiner' unit - a unit that takes inputs from multiple textures (and interpolants from the rasterizer) and does blending operations between those, in a cascaded (sometimes looped-back) manner. TEV was tex combiner's 'swan song' - the 'missing link' between texture combiners and the early pixel shader hw (which pretty much was tex combiners on steroids) - the differences between TEV's blending stages and PS1.1-1.4 op slots are really not that big. Actually, in some aspects TEV can do more than those early PS units, i.e. TEV's 16 stages, every other of which can do a dependent texture read (aka EMBM read), versus PS 1.4's 8 + 8 (via loop-back) op stages, but only 6 tex addr registers.

So, the difference between a TMU and a TEV is that, well, they are orthogonal units. A modern-day TMU does:

(1) tex addressing computations, i.e. strq->uv0..n (not necessarily though - some architectures use shader ops for that)
(2) tex filtering (using the tex caches as raw input)

so the output from a TMU is a filtered texture sample, ready to be fed to the shader code. OTOH, TEV pretty much does the equivalent of shader code - for (1) and (2) Flipper has its dedicated logic (i.e. TF and TC blocks). So in essence, TEV is not a TMU - TEV is more akin to a shader unit. As whether TEV can do 4 pixels at a time, or there are 4x TEVs - it's really semantics.

So I guess you see now why adding a TEV to a modern shader architecture does not make much sense. For a current (read: unified shader architecture) GPU to successfully emulate Flipper, fat dependent texture read limits and fat low-latency texture caches are needed, not TEVs. IOW, adding Flipper's 1MB of tex cache and Flipper's TF and/or TC logic would contribute more to Flipper emulation than TEV.

That isn't casual oriented? Who knows :O

I'm not even sure I will know what to do with myself the day Nintendo drops a gem of Mario galaxy quality again and it doesn't have a pre-existing IP attached to it. Seriously, what will this place turn into if Nintendo throws up a gameplay trailer at e3 that is seriously outrageous on Mario/Zelda/Metroid levels, beautiful, innovative while justifying the controller...and no one knows who the character on the screen is? He/she/it would look striking, have a name that really hits you, and be aimed largely at the core gamer. I mean, they would end their e3 conference with this particular title...that's how good it would be. Not mario, not zelda, not metroid, not pikmin, not Wii ___, but this unknown game that just blew our pants off.

I just couldn't take it.

AniHawk

pso2 on next gen systems is possible, if vita is any indication (and the supposed release date).

i don't know if dqx will scare away or invite other mmorpgs in to the scene.

Terrell

So guys, any new news or just speculation as usual?

More speculating. I saw another (or more refined) vision of the future, DCharlie got a tad up in arms about it, fun ensued as usual with my predictions of the future.

Some TEV talk (as you see continued above)

A bunch of people re-posting old links.

Not much else.

EDIT: OH! But Capcom is confirmed to be demoing WiiU action game, according to E3 show data. And we mused about E3 2006 again.

Nibel

Well, if they release PSO2 on the Wii U.. that would be really nice. Especially if they add 4-player splitscreen like in the GCN PSO version.

Oddduck

Nintendo needs to reboot Mach Rider! This could be a great franchise to appeal to older gamers.

Vs._Mach_Rider.png

251848-rr_mr_05_large.jpg

And the cool thing is FZero is a spiritual successor to Mach Rider in many ways.

frostbyte

More speculating. I saw another (or more refined) vision of the future, DCharlie got a tad up in arms about it, fun ensued as usual with my predictions of the future.

Some TEV talk (as you see continued above)

A bunch of people re-posting old links.

Not much else.

EDIT: OH! But Capcom is confirmed to be demoing WiiU action game, according to E3 show data. And we mused about E3 2006 again.

Do you use a magic ball or is this all in your head? :p

The Capcom thing is interesting, although predictable. Still glad to see it. and it's gotta be RE6 right?

All hail E3 2006! And by golly, E3 2012 will trump it. *starts dreaming*

Terrell

Do you use a magic ball or is this all in your head? :p

The Capcom thing is interesting, although predictable. Still glad to see it. and it's gotta be RE6 right?

All hail E3 2006! And by golly, E3 2012 will trump it. *starts dreaming*

All in my head. Occurred to me today when I was making Vampire Savior ringtones for my iPhone to herald the incoming Darkstalkers 4.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
News:

Warren Spector told Geoff that Epic Mickey: Power of Two is coming to "Next-Gen Systems".

That basically confirms Power of Two is coming to Wii-U in my book.

BTW, I was holding down on Facebook-GAF when everything went down. Whenever GAF goes down again, everybody should flock there. It was actually pretty fun.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
News:

Warren Spector told Geoff that Epic Mickey: Power of Two is coming to "Next-Gen Systems".

That basically confirms Power of Two is coming to Wii-U in my book.

BTW, I was holding down on Facebook-GAF when everything went down. Whenever GAF goes down again, everybody should flock there. It was actually pretty fun.
Here's the related news item: http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_GAMES_EPIC_MICKEY_2?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

I didn't see that Geoff deal, but this is what Warren said to AP:

I love the co-op and next-gen stuff, but for me, when a character breaks into song, which they do on a regular basis in this game, it's magic.

Though the news item talks about releasing the game for "not just Nintendo Wii but also the high-definition PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360", so next generation consoles are probably not excluded.

And I personally spent time in the Steam chat room for the NeoGAF group during the downtime. Quite nice discussions there, albeit some not so family friendly.

Nibel

Guys, there isn't much time left to fill those 10 pages like we always do on a daily basis, so give your best please and enjoy the ride

So, Epic Mickey 2 is coming to Wii U, 3DS, 360 and PS3?

HylianTom

Banned
Rösti;36227782 said:
Here's the related news item: http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_GAMES_EPIC_MICKEY_2?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

I didn't see that Geoff deal, but this is what Warren said to AP:

Though the news item talks about releasing the game for "not just Nintendo Wii but also the high-definition PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360", so next generation consoles are probably not excluded.

And I personally spent time in the Steam chat room for the NeoGAF group during the downtime. Quite nice discussions there, albeit some not so family friendly.

I keep forgetting about Steam! This would've been a good test run for if/when things go down here during E3.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Rösti;36227782 said:

I didn't see that Geoff deal, this is what Warren said to AP:

Though the news item talks about releasing the game for "not just Nintendo Wii but also the high-definition PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360".

Well Geoff tweeted that it is "on Next-Gen too!" But I guess you could read into that meaning Xbox 360/PS3, but surely he is actually talking about NEXT-GEN (as in the new consoles coming out like Wii-U, Durango, PS4). I just can't see Wii-U not getting a version of this during the holiday season.

Terrell said:
I see the Japanese development community banking on WiiU in full force, with the exception being those who are only able to sell primarily to the West (see: Hideo Kojima)
Metal Gear Solid is pretty big in Japan. The only things that have been reliably bigger in the last generation on non-Nintendo platforms are Monster Hunter and Final Fantasy.
AniHawk said:
i don't know if dqx will scare away or invite other mmorpgs in to the scene.
Is the scare-away factor ever a big deal genre-wide? Single-player RPGs don't avoid the Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest platform. MMOs haven't avoided the World of Warcraft platform. FPSs don't avoid the Halo platform.

Hiltz

I'm not excited about Epic Mickey 2. Spector hyped the original title well , but it just wasn't fun.Even if they had more time to polish the game, the gameplay would still be boring.

Top Bottom