• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread The Third: Casting Dreams in The Castle of Miyamoto

I don't know anything about it, but it very well could not come to Wii U at launch.

Out of curiosity, is there a single currently announced multiplatform HD game not mentioned at last E3 that you think actually will come to Wii U?

I trust you on the stuff that you actually have sources on, but when it comes to titles like this and RE6 - where the absence of a Wii U version seems highly unlikely given Nintendo's relationships with the companies involved - I think pessimism has got the better of you.

Out of curiosity, is there a single currently announced multiplatform HD game not mentioned at last E3 that you think actually will come to Wii U?

I trust you on the stuff that you actually have sources on, but when it comes to titles like this and RE6 - where the absence of a Wii U version seems highly unlikely given Nintendo's relationships with the companies involved - I think pessimism has got the better of you.

Until announced, I don't believe anything will necessarily make it to Wii U. Devkits were only recently finalized so a lot of developers may just be going "Well, not worth the effort when we're already in crunch time" and publishers are unlikely to disagree.

That said, I merely said Epic Mickey has a chance of not making launch. Depending on when they got Wii U devkits, and whether the porting time/cost is justified, etc. It's not just a guaranteed "Well, it's coming to other systems, so it will be out for Wii U at the same time!" It's not that simple.

Until announced, I don't believe anything will necessarily make it to Wii U. Devkits were only recently finalized so a lot of developers may just be going "Well, not worth the effort when we're already in crunch time" and publishers are unlikely to disagree.

That said, I merely said Epic Mickey has a chance of not making launch. Depending on when they got Wii U devkits, and whether the porting time/cost is justified, etc. It's not just a guaranteed "Well, it's coming to other systems, so it will be out for Wii U at the same time!" It's not that simple.

Well, shortly after launch is certainly much more plausible, IMO, than not coming to Wii U at all in those two cases.

It's evident at this point that there will be some daylight between Wii U's actual multiplatform lineup and full parity with PS3/360; absent a few more specific denials to the contrary (GTAV confirmed to not be coming, etc.) I'm just not convinced that there'll be as much daylight as you're inclined to believe. We'll see.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
What we have that is relevant in the calendar in March:

• Issue 74 of Nintendo Gamer - Featuring an exclusive look at Assassin's Creed III for Wii U; goes on sale this Friday
  • E3 Floor Plans - Waiting for The ESA to update lists and also publish the actual floor plans, we know from that list I posted recently Capcom has something for Wii U
  • Record Date for Year-End Dividends for the 72nd Fiscal Year - The end of the 72nd fiscal year could mean Nintendo allows developers/publishers to talk to investors about upcoming projects
I also sent an inquiry to Steven Eisenstadt, manager/representative of IBM's Systems and Technology Group, about the eDRAM and the processor in Wii U to see if he could provide more/new information. I doubt he will share anything new, but you've gotta keep trying.

HylianTom

Banned
So.. I wanted to ask: of the known/suspected launch titles, what are you all buying?

After a post last night that prompted me to examine my collection, I realized: of the Wii and GameCube launch games I bought, I only really ended-up spending quality time with a small percentage of them. Others, I played a few times and then they sat in storage. And still for others, I only took out during parties or when nieces/nephews visited.

Even looking at what I played, it doesn't make sense to go crazy again. I played Trauma Center for one morning, Rayman for an hour or two, and then it was all Twilight Pricess for the rest of the week.

This time around, I might be a bit tighter with my launch budget.
- Pikmin 3
- Assassin's Creed (if 1 & 2 come to Wii U. I simply can't jump in the middle.)
- New Super Mario Bros U
- (some other third-party title)

Thoughts? I can't be the only one grappling with this time/money issue.

Jaruru

GAF is back... I thought it was the Nintendo bomb or something like that
but nothing on other sites. and now, nothing from GAF threads either :(

jacksrb

Thank goodness GAF is back! Lunch at my desk was terrible.

--

I think there are about 5 3rd party titles that will have the most influence on how the Wii U starts off (in relation to public opinion), although the first party stuff will, as always, drive the boat.

Ass Creed 3 - huge franchise that is confirmed to be on the Wii U
Madden - surely we will get this too
Call of Duty - surely we will get this with a smooth framerate and maybe a resolution bump. As fun as the Treyarch ports are on Wii, the graphics and missing killstreaks make them the stepchildren versions. *if the NiN communities are implemented here, that would make for an awesome experience to get away from some of the riff raff
Bioshock Infinite - The dominant 'Most anticipated title' across the industry needs to be on Wii U, I think from a core gamer cred standpoint
Overstrike - Assuming that the game is good, having one of the few new IPs land on your shiny new Nintendo box is a big deal

frostbyte

Thank goodness GAF is back! Lunch at my desk was terrible.

--

I think there are about 5 3rd party titles that will have the most influence on how the Wii U starts off (in relation to public opinion), although the first party stuff will, as always, drive the boat.

Ass Creed 3 - huge franchise that is confirmed to be on the Wii U
Madden - surely we will get this too
Call of Duty - surely we will get this with a smooth framerate and maybe a resolution bump. As fun as the Treyarch ports are on Wii, the graphics and missing killstreaks make them the stepchildren versions. *if the NiN communities are implemented here, that would make for an awesome experience to get away from some of the riff raff
Bioshock Infinite - The dominant 'Most anticipated title' across the industry needs to be on Wii U, I think from a core gamer cred standpoint
Overstrike - Assuming that the game is good, having one of the few new IPs land on your shiny new Nintendo box is a big deal

Ken Levine is all talk and no show on the Wii U. Don't expect Bioshock Infinite unless Nintendo sends truckloads of money to just one developer, which I doubt.

"Just to be clear, there are no plans," said Levine. "I'm not saying it can't happen, but we have no plans to do any games for that platform."

dacuk

I hope SEGA gives Wii U all of its backing. SEGA has such amazing IPs, they could do the Wii U wonders, absolute wonders. I guess I'm thinking of the SEGA of the 80s and 90s.... Sigh.

Let any of the EAD teams of Nintendo do a proper, platforming Mario and Sonic game.

lol I said this a long time ago, before any reel of developers was shown, that those things are ALWAYS bullshit. When it comes to Nintendo they are quadruple bullshit.

KrawlMan

And it continues.

Why feature him in a video all about praising the Wii U if he's not gonna do shit for it?

Because it's a big name praising the Wii U. Sure, it means more to actually have him support it with games, but words are better than nothing.

HylianTom

Banned
Yup. If I ever hear language like that, I automatically begin to think, "Bullshit."

And when I think "bullshit," I hear Bea Arthur's voice in a truly iconic movie scene: www.youtube.com/watch?v=tl4VD8uvgec

591-8603.gif

After so much empty praise with the Wii, I say spare us your bullshit words, developers. Let's see some titles on the shelf.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Model it on HeroQuest. The essential element this game concept needs in order to work is pre-made dungeon content; user-generated content absolutely cannot be the focus. It needs a lengthy and robust campaign mode, balanced for several modes of play: 1P Hero, 1P DM vs AI party, Asymmetric DM vs party, MP Hero. Bias the mechanics towards success for the heroes, but give the DM enough monsters and traps to be a serious threat to the party. Give the DM XP awards for good play and let him spend it to upgrade monsters.

In theory: awesome. In reality: I'd never have 4 people around willing to play it with me. Just do this on PC internet dammit.

jacksrb

Ken Levine is all talk and no show on the Wii U. Don't expect Bioshock Infinite unless Nintendo sends truckloads of money to just one developer, which I doubt.

"Just to be clear, there are no plans," said Levine. "I'm not saying it can't happen, but we have no plans to do any games for that platform."

No disagreement here.

I feel like the chances we see it on Wii U are ~ 15% in the launch window. A game of the year edition next spring is more likely to me. But the Wii U is a unique position to have the best launch lineup ever with beautiful and full featured titles from the current generation, and this would go a long way towards sealing that.

Hiltz

Let any of the EAD teams of Nintendo do a proper, platforming Mario and Sonic game.

Probably never going to happen. Sonic and Mario games are polar opposites. Quite frankly, it's one of the dream projects fans want but don't know how it make it work... because it probably can't.

HylianTom

Banned
Probably never going to happen. Sonic and Mario games are polar opposites. Quite frankly, it's one of the dream projects fans want but don't know how it make it work... because it probably can't.

Maybe Mario could don a hedgehog suit that gives him the ability to spin, spindash, and run very fast?

Meanwhile, Sonic could use Mario's powerups to grow big, throw fireballs, etc?

The levels could alternate, one Mario-in-SonicLand level, one Sonic-in-MarioLand level, and so on. Each character's set of levels would tell a different side of the story.

There ya go. That's my proposal. As long as Sega doesn't try to do too much or get too cutesy with it, it's a pretty simple proposal. With good level design, it could work.

andthebeatgoeson

News:

Warren Spector told Geoff that Epic Mickey: Power of Two is coming to "Next-Gen Systems".

That basically confirms Power of Two is coming to Wii-U in my book.

BTW, I was holding down on Facebook-GAF when everything went down. Whenever GAF goes down again, everybody should flock there. It was actually pretty fun.

FB gaf? Link?

Thanks blu.

bg, why do you peg Microsoft as most likely to exit the console space?

A few reasons.

1. Sony did more to help MS than MS themselves did IMO. Sony launched a 500-600 dollar console. Which became a big deterrent to those that were looking for a powerful console. This led to the "Wii60" movement and sent early gen sales towards MS. Despite this, the PS3 is not far behind 360 even with the 360's one year head start.

2. They have no chance in Japan. This means they are dependent on two major markets that can easily be "won over" by Nintendo and/or Sony on top of those two owning Japan.

3. They had to convert to catering to non-gamers to get to where they are now. Nintendo learned first hand that this group will both not convert to becoming gaming enthusiasts and are fickle. If there is any group that can be labeled as being about "old and busted" and "new hotness" it's this group. Any company that wants this group to buy in will have to do enough to justify for this group to make the purchase and stick with their product instead of moving to whatever thing is new.

So when looking at these things I can see this being a make or break gen for them coming up. As I mentioned I believe MS is in the best position to cater to both non-gamers and gaming enthusiasts, but if both Sony and Nintendo do well enough with those two groups it can seriously impact MS going forward and if they have a third gen of billions in operating losses, I can honestly see them wondering if a fourth gen is worth it.

Maybe Mario could don a hedgehog suit that gives him the ability to spin, spindash, and run very fast?

Meanwhile, Sonic could use Mario's powerups to grow big, throw fireballs, etc?

The levels could alternate, one Mario-in-SonicLand level, one Sonic-in-MarioLand level, and so on. Each character's set of levels would tell a different side of the story.

There ya go. That's my proposal. As long as Sega doesn't try to do too much or get too cutesy with it, it's a pretty simple proposal. With good level design, it could work.

Anything is possible. As long as the time and effort are in it. :)

DCharlie

Banned
But Capcom is confirmed to be demoing WiiU action game

i'm already importing popcorn for this one.

1. Sony did more to help MS than MS themselves did IMO. Sony launched a 500-600 dollar console. Which became a big deterrent to those that were looking for a powerful console. This led to the "Wii60" movement and sent early gen sales towards MS. Despite this, the PS3 is not far behind 360 even with the 360's one year head start.

2. They have no chance in Japan. This means they are dependent on two major markets that can easily be "won over" by Nintendo and/or Sony on top of those two owning Japan.

3. They had to convert to catering to non-gamers to get to where they are now. Nintendo learned first hand that this group will both not convert to becoming gaming enthusiast and are fickle. If there is any group that can be labeled as being about "old and busted" and "new hotness" it's this group. Any company that wants this group to buy in will have to do enough to justify for this group to make the purchase and stick with their product instead of moving to whatever thing is new.

So when looking at these things I can see this being a make or break gen for them coming up. As I mentioned I believe MS is in the best position to cater to both non-gamers and gaming enthusiasts, but if both Sony and Nintendo do well enough with those two groups it can seriously impact MS going forward and if they have a third gen of billions in operating losses, I can honestly see them wondering if a fourth gen is worth it.

So - wait - Nintendo are going to win over two major markets "easily" and assuming that would be the hardcore market - and they're going to do that how?

I've a massive spoiler for people here : MS are going to be in the video game space for as long as it takes. They can wrack up billions of losses again, and again and again because ultimately this endevour is about making sure Sony/Nintendo/Apple don't suddenly completely own your living room.

So - wait - Nintendo are going to win over two major markets "easily" and assuming that would be the hardcore market - and they're going to do that how?

I've a massive spoiler for people here : MS are going to be in the video game space for as long as it takes. They can wrack up billions of losses again, and again and again because ultimately this endevour is about making sure Sony/Nintendo/Apple don't suddenly completely own your living room.

Don't change the context of what I said. "Are" and "can" are two different things and I included Sony in that.

And when it comes to the living room, guess which of those two groups I mentioned are the most likely candidate to get that for MS? It's not the gaming enthusiast (I prefer that term over hardcore).

I also think MS is most likely to exit the gaming industry (not saying they WILL exit, just saying most likely of the 3), but for slightly different reasons. Well similar reasons plus one more, and that one more is that gaming isn't ingrained in the company's culture. I think they're just using gaming as a way to reach something broader. A stepping stone if you will. I think the second they reach that "broader" segment they'll drop gaming (as we know it, not including apps and stuff) like a bad habit, or the second it begins not doing as well as they had hoped, I could see them squashing it for something else as well.

I just don't think gaming is that important to them, whereas for Nintendo it's everything, and for Sony it's just about the only thing not sucking lol.

Exactly.

I'm sure someone at Microsoft is already speccing up 'Xbox4' for around the year ~2020. The next console always goes into some level of 'development' before the market-ready console launches. You can bet Microsoft won't stop with Xbox3, even if it comes in last place, and that's doubtful.

So the 360 is going to end up being the second most profitable video game home console of all time and you think Microsoft is going to abandon the business?

The out of control snowball rolling down the hill that is this thread just keeps getting bigger and more out of control by the day.

Deguello

Bunch o stuff.

I say that you have cogent points, but I think Sony's a more likely candidate, simply based on economics and talent drain. Sony's gaming department has been bleeding money for almost an entire decade and unless they turn that around they simply won't be able to field competitive products or hire competent talent.

TriGen

So the 360 is going to end up being the second most profitable video game home console of all time and you think Microsoft is going to abandon the business?

I don't expect Microsoft to exit ( I don't think any of the big 3 will, for a long while at least) but I didn't know the 360 was the second most profitable ever. I thought the PS2 and Wii were tops.

I don't see this, personally. Neither Nintendo nor third parties have given me any reason to be excited so far. Or am I missing something here?

Ummm, that's because they haven't shown any games.

Plus, the 3DS launch wasn't so hot and the Wii U initial unveiling was lackluster and confusing to many.

They're bringing the goods in June.

How many????

I don't know.

DCharlie

Banned
I also think MS is most likely to exit the gaming industry (not saying they WILL exit, just saying most likely of the 3), but for slightly different reasons. Well similar reasons plus one more, and that one more is that gaming isn't ingrained in the company's culture. I think they're just using gaming as a way to reach something broader. A stepping stone if you will. I think the second they reach that "broader" segment they'll drop gaming (as we know it, not including apps and stuff) like a bad habit, or the second it begins not doing as well as they had hoped, I could see them squashing it for something else as well.

I just don't think gaming is that important to them, whereas for Nintendo it's everything, and for Sony it's just about the only thing not sucking lol.

why they got into the gaming side of things is fully documented and out there (in at least one book) - the motivation has -gone up- for them to stay in rather than fold. It's a long term commitment for MS and it's one they'll happily burn money on. Whilst it might be still true that they are "most likely" to leave i'd put money on Sony selling off the gaming arm before MS leaves personally.

Don't change the context of what I said. "Are" and "can" are two different things and I included Sony in that.

well, let me ask the same question again then:

Nintendo/Sony can win over two major markets "easily" and assuming that would be the hardcore market - and they're going to do that how?

I was more interested how they can do this "easily" if we're going to be picky about words ;)

Deguello

I don't expect Microsoft to exit ( I don't think any of the big 3 will, for a long while at least) but I didn't know the 360 was the second most profitable ever. I thought the PS2 and Wii were tops.

I find his claim highly suspect as well. I'd like to see it clarified and quantified.

TriGen

Ummm, that's because they haven't shown any games.

Plus, the 3DS launch wasn't so hot and the Wii U initial unveiling was lackluster and confusing to many.

They're bringing the goods in June.

How many????

I don't know.

Exactly, there isn't anything to get excited for when you don't know what games are coming to it, the only reason people like me are excited is because I'm imagining what might be available. Everyone has to wait till June to know if their faith or lack thereof is justified.

Top Bottom