• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread The Third: Casting Dreams in The Castle of Miyamoto

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Any chance that Nintendo will redesign the Wii U controller so it becomes a bit smaller/sleeker?

We are planning to showcase the final format and discuss the details at E3 2012, which will be held in Los Angeles in the United States in June this year.
Source: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/120127/04.html

I'd say a modest redesign is likely, the Wii remote underwent many changes during its development process. Though the controller was at E3 last year described by many journalists etc. as comfortable and lightsome, so the shown design could also stay.

Off topic: Is that Gabe in your avatar?

Azure J

He's also referencing the IGN rumors about the Wii U. Funny how some IGN rumors are thrown under the bus while others are accepted with open arms.

I'm not even trying to start anything, but that IGN rumor really tells us nothing so far. If that was what being sourced as reference for the system's CPU, nothing in the article was stated regarding as much. If it's the source behind the rumor then, I'm all ears.

WillyFive

ZBJTf.gif

You'll learn. You will all have to be forced to do it, but you will learn.

TunaLover

Any chance that Nintendo will redesign the Wii U controller so it becomes a bit smaller/sleeker?

If it's already comfortable I doubt they will make more changes, you can bet they tested the thing back and forth to make it as ergonomic as possible. Aesthetics comes second with Nintendo (not saying it's ugly actually).

What is the source of that hilarious "GameCube basement/bunker" picture (it's been posted at least twice in this thread), did somebody actually do that or is it a photoshop?

I feel the same.

If Nintendo doesn't release a GC controller compatible with the Wii U, I'm getting a custom made GC classic controller.

ZBJTf.gif

I've been playing Brawl with my Wii Classic Controller from day one and love it that way. But that may be partly due to the fact it was the first Smash game I played avidly.

Instro

I'd suspect any design changes would be to improve functionality more so than aesthetics. From what I've read and have seen of the controller, its already pretty ergonomically sound, so there might not be a whole lot they can or will change about the looks.

ASTROID2

If someone bought some office space then hired a couple of randoms then someone makes a cheap 2 second flash game for the iphone app store. Next you contact nintendo for dev kit. It would be completely official.

Anth0ny

I've been playing Brawl with my Wii Classic Controller from day one and love it that way. But that may be partly due to the fact it was the first Smash game I played avidly.

I've been playing Smash with a Gamecube controller consistently for over 10 years now. Starting playing competitively in 2008, and I've had to replace them twice due to wear and tear.

I tried playing it with the Classic Controller a couple of times. I don't like the placement of the analog stick (Dualshock style). Too used to gripping my controller N64/GC/360 style.

nordique

So someone in the PS4 thread is stating that the Wii U's CPU isn't dual threaded (thus 3 cores/threads). I'm thinking that's a pretty weird thing for the system to be designed with. What say you speculation GAF?

Personally, I refuse to believe one thing without considering the other. Has there been anything stated so far that suggests this is the truth or that the processor is in fact 2 way SMT? (Dual threaded for those not up on the terminology.)

I'm pretty sure it was confirmed, that least in the dev kits, by a confident source that the CPU is 3 core, 2 SMT

So whoever is claiming that likely doesn't have the correct information. Or maybe we don't have the right information.

dun dun dunnn

I'm pretty sure it was confirmed, that least in the dev kits, by a confident source that the CPU is 3 core, 2 SMT

So whoever is claiming that likely doesn't have the correct information. Or maybe we don't have the right information.

dun dun dunnn

The rumours have been flying by so furiously that at this point I am starting to suspect that Iwata isn't sure what's going into the thing!

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
He's also referencing the IGN rumors about the Wii U. Funny how some IGN rumors are thrown under the bus while others are accepted with open arms.

What IGN rumors? Have I missed something?

hatchx

Banned
I've been playing Smash with a Gamecube controller consistently for over 10 years now. Starting playing competitively in 2008, and I've had to replace them twice due to wear and tear.

I tried playing it with the Classic Controller a couple of times. I don't like the placement of the analog stick (Dualshock style). Too used to gripping my controller N64/GC/360 style.

For me, the biggest factor is the button layout. I like the big 'A' button, smaller 'B' button with 'X' and 'Y' sitting above in a bean shape.

What a great goddamn button layout.

What IGN rumors? Have I missed something?

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/01/24/xbox-720-will-be-six-times-as-powerful-as-current-gen

"In real terms, the Xbox 720's raw graphics processing power is expected to be six times that of the Xbox 360 and will yield 20-percent greater performance than Nintendo's forthcoming console, the Wii U."

Probably that one.

For me, the biggest factor is the button layout. I like the big 'A' button, smaller 'B' button with 'X' and 'Y' sitting above in a bean shape.

What a great goddamn button layout.

Since moving on to other systems, I've been increasingly annoyed at how much harder it is to remember which button is which when I'm not directly looking at the controller and have to (A) mash some button for a terrible QTE, or (B) learn the control setup of a new game.

Azure J

dun dun dunnn

I thought as much.

Top Bottom