• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread The Third: Casting Dreams in The Castle of Miyamoto

At this stage, I think the only positive explanation for the complete absence of news on third-party ports, exclusives etc. is that Nintendo are locking everything down and/or that third-parties aren't keen on potentially impacting sales of games that will release first on 360/PS3/PC.

Any other explanation is pretty grim news for Nintendo.

Again, if Nintendo fails to capture third party support, it's up to them to dramatically expand internal development in new directions. They should be confident in their ability to turn a profit on video games. For Nintendo at least, daring investment in software over hardware is more sensible anyways.

Red UFO

Expecting minimal third party support, hoping that it's all just NDA's and publishers not wanting to hurt the success of titles on other platforms.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
At this stage, I think the only positive explanation for the complete absence of news on third-party ports, exclusives etc. is that Nintendo are locking everything down and/or that third-parties aren't keen on potentially impacting sales of games that will release first on 360/PS3/PC.

As the makers of Aliens: Colonial Marines said:

"We have given it a lot of attention. I think it will not be too long [before] Nintendo opens up their kimono a little bit more about that platform and where it is going, and we will be there right with them talking about how Aliens is using it."

That suggests they're forbidden from revealing any more.

Source: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...al-marines-on-wii-u-has-so-much-more-to-offer

ozfunghi

So the RE6 release date has been moved up from November 20th to October 2nd.
WiiU is rumored to launch November 18th.
Capcom says "Unfortunately, RE6 will not be available at this time on the Wii U"

sooo...

BurntPork

Banned
You guys act like Wiiu support is dead. Why would Capcom announce a wiiu game this early, when they can save it for E3? Let's not forget action- wiiu title was listed on E3 website.

If that were the case, they would have said something like, "We have no plans to announce a Wii U version at this time." They didn't even leave the option open, though. They just said that there's no version in development.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
The director expanded on why they're not bothering with a Wii U version.

"Wii U is kind of a special case," said the Resident Evil 6 director. "The way the player interacts with the device is very different than any other device out there. So if I were to make a game for the Wii U, it would have to be a unique game."

Even then, the MT Framework engine is still compatible with the Wii U, says Sasaki. The issue isn't with the game's engine, but rather what seems to be Sasaki's desire to create a unique title centered on the Wii U's capabilities. That's good to know, because the last thing we need is a wacky Wii U port of what could be a great game on other consoles. If Sasaki wants to tinker around with the upcoming Nintendo console's hardware to deliver an intriguing and unique game, that's a much better idea than a port.

Really frustrating to already be seeing this kind of thinking from third parties.

To 3rd party Big N are the competition so any relationship with them is strange
I'd agree with this assessment if most 3rd party software was actually in competition with Nintendo's. Nintendo don't do Call of Duty's or Assassin's Creed, they do Karts, Plumbers, and Parties. That was never a cogent argument on 3rd party developers parts.

Time and again we've seen markets built on hardware that didn't exist before. Until Goldeneye there wasn't a large FPS market on consoles at all. And with Halo MS pulled it in their direction.

You make markets on a console by making quality software fitting the needs of that market.
Wii U clearly needs more shaders.
GIGABOBS!

Log4Girlz

Really frustrating to already be seeing this kind of thinking from third parties.

That's a bull excuse though. If its not appearing on the Wii U, its not because the "controller is unique".

royalan

If this is the case, then what we're witnessing is the most widespread, iron-clad NDA in the history of the gaming industry...

As the makers of Aliens: Colonial Marines said:

"We have given it a lot of attention. I think it will not be too long [before] Nintendo opens up their kimono a little bit more about that platform and where it is going, and we will be there right with them talking about how Aliens is using it."

That suggests they're forbidden from revealing any more.

Source: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...al-marines-on-wii-u-has-so-much-more-to-offer

Dem Ninjas... Must be some scary dudes...

EDIT: We need an "Iwata opens his kimono" GIF for E3!

You guys act like Wiiu support is dead. Why would Capcom announce a wiiu game this early, when they can save it for E3? Let's not forget action- wiiu title was listed on E3 website.

Wii U was already dead.

It needs to be able to render the introductory logo at least.

Crap. I'm drawing a blank on where that came from.

I heard they cheated with RE4 on Gamecube, maybe they can cheat again.

There will be lots of cheating in Wii U's future.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
If this is the case, then what we're witnessing is the most widespread, iron-clad NDA in the history of the gaming industry...

I think Nintendo were annoyed by the tablet rumours last year, forcing them to reveal the Wii U way before it was ready. As a result, they've gone into LOCKDOWN.

FoneBone

Uh, you really think there's another explanation for the complete lack of any post-E3 Wii U announcements beyond DQX and AC3 - not even shovelware? Not even the most vehement Nintendo-haters would seriously say that they're not embargoing announcements. And that doesn't mean I'm exactly expecting a mind-blowing third-party showing at E3.

frostbyte

Ooh, BurntPork is back!

Just came in for a peek after getting burned by the Capcom Captivate thread.

Rich from IGN is a douche. Some Nintendo related news=No RE6 on Wii U.

NateDrake

Odd nothing from Captivate was Nintendo related. Rich from IGN said Nintendo fans would hear some interesting stuff once the embargo lifted.

RedSwirl

It's like they HAVE to figure out some way to utilize the touch screen, or every other major feature of the system. We always get this - even with the PS3's SIXAXIS at the beginning developers tried to use the motion control for the sake of motion controls before actually making good games.

On top of that, I can already think of a good way for them to use the touch screen - the inventory system. At the very least they could bring over the same touch screen functionality they had in Revelations.

Uh, you really think there's another explanation for the complete lack of any post-E3 Wii U announcements beyond DQX and AC3 - not even shovelware? Not even the most vehement Nintendo-haters would seriously say that they're not embargoing announcements. And that doesn't mean I'm exactly expecting a mind-blowing third-party showing at E3.

FWIW, I come down on the side of "Nintendo embargo/third-party reluctance to eat into sales" hypothesis. I just think that if that isn't the explanation (no matter how unlikely that seems) then any other explanation can only be bad news.

NateDrake

It's like they HAVE to figure out some way to utilize the touch screen, or every other major feature of the system. We always get this - even with the PS3's SIXAXIS at the beginning developers tried to use the motion control for the sake of motion controls before actually making good games.

On top of that, I can already think of a good way for them to use the touch screen - the inventory system. At the very least they could bring over the same touch screen functionality they had in Revelations.

It isn't a real quote. It's the recycled quote from Kojima from weeks ago. It's a joke.....

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Note: this is actually a quote from Kojima last month with the names changed.
"Wii U is kind of a special case," said the Super Mario creator. "The way the player interacts with the device is very different than any other device out there. So if I were to make a game for the Wii U, it would have to be a unique game."

Even then, the Super Mario Universe engine is still compatible with the Wii U, says Miyamoto. The issue isn't with the game's engine, but rather what seems to be Miyamoto's desire to create a unique title centered on the Wii U's capabilities. That's good to know, because the last thing we need is a wacky Wii U port of what could be a great game on other consoles. If Miyamoto wants to tinker around with the upcoming Nintendo console's hardware to deliver an intriguing and unique game, that's a much better idea than a port.

ozfunghi

Hahahaha... haha.. ha

*punches krev*

seriously, how some of you think THIS is funny or humorous is beyond me.

--------

RichIGN: "The way the RE 6/Wii U statement is worded... I'd almost bet money on E3. I'd hope I could bet money on E3. =)"

This is what i'm thinking. The old RE6 release date + WiiU launch date rumor + Capcom comment ...

I think Nintendo were annoyed by the tablet rumours last year, forcing them to reveal the Wii U way before it was ready. As a result, they've gone into LOCKDOWN.

The rumors didn't force them to reveal anything - the very first one, published by Game Informer just under a year ago, stated that it would be shown at E3.

That said, there are indications that Nintendo was already rethinking their reveal/release timetable prior to E3, hence the seemingly last-minute decision to keep actual games off the show floor.

Hoo-doo

Banned
"Wii U is kind of a special case," said the Super Mario creator. "The way the player interacts with the device is very different than any other device out there. So if I were to make a game for the Wii U, it would have to be a unique game."

Even then, the Super Mario Universe engine is still compatible with the Wii U, says Miyamoto. The issue isn't with the game's engine, but rather what seems to be Miyamoto's desire to create a unique title centered on the Wii U's capabilities. That's good to know, because the last thing we need is a wacky Wii U port of what could be a great game on other consoles. If Miyamoto wants to tinker around with the upcoming Nintendo console's hardware to deliver an intriguing and unique game, that's a much better idea than a port.

And so, the first Wii-U meme was born.

Honestly it's a none issue right now. Darksiders 2 trailer came out a couple months or so ago and it didn't have a Wii U logo either. And we know for sure that's coming on Wii U. For better or worse Nintendo has some strict NDAs in place.

BurntPork is back ? He survived the ban ?

http://i.imgur.com/L5gfn.gif[IMG]

Don't get yourself banned that easily again.[/QUOTE]

It seems to be easier for some than others. And that's not a personal indictment of Burnt, but you go to the wrong thread with an already agitated mod and piss them off more and bannedness happens.

Post how you usually do, but always remember "Somebody pissed in someones cornflakes today."

frostbyte

Honestly it's a none issue right now. Darksiders 2 trailer came out a couple months or so ago and it didn't have a Wii U logo either. And we know for sure that's coming on Wii U. For better or worse Nintendo has some strict NDAs in place.

Wasn't there some Alien: Colonial Marines footage that was stated to be for Wii U in some UE3 reel back at GDC? I remember people saying that it was probably 360/PS3 footage though.

Hopefully, Nintendo's NDAs are the reason for this blackout.

Donnie

If that were the case, they would have said something like, "We have no plans to announce a Wii U version at this time." They didn't even leave the option open, though. They just said that there's no version in development.

No they didn't. It really hasn't taken you long to start your usual bullshit again has it Burntpork..

I think for the sake of avoiding the usual disappointment we should just assume that nintendo will have no significant third party support. They have too much to get right

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
I think for the sake of avoiding the usual disappointment we should just assume that nintendo will have no significant third party support. They have too much to get right
It's always better to assume the worst. Whenever I see rampant optimism in here I just shake my head.

Top Bottom