• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread The Third: Casting Dreams in The Castle of Miyamoto

BurntPork

Banned
No they didn't.. it really hasn't taken you long to start you're usual bullshit again has it Burntpork.

Or I misread lol

Hey, wait. RE6 isn't available for anything at this time, is it? OMG that tricky wording!

I think for the sake of avoiding the usual disappointment we should just assume that nintendo will have no significant third party support. They have too much to get right

I'm assuming worse support than Wii.

Stop with the Kojima "joke" BS. One of the main reasons NeoGAF is so much better than IGN or GameFAQs boards is because of the rules against misleading people. This thread moves quickly, people *are* going to think that's real about some other developer saying that, and they'll include it in other conversations (and clutter the conversations in here too). I don't want this board turning into GameFAQs.

Taker666

I'd like RE6 on Wii U..but would there really be much point on releasing it a month or so after the other versions? I'd probably release it as a "special edition"/"ultimate edition" 6 months later.

As much as it may pain some people.... I could see a new "Chronicles" game being the priority. Nintendo will want a title to show off the Wii U Zapper...and an RE game where you're aiming all around you shooting zombies would certainly be an obvious choice.

D_prOdigy

The weight of all this must be coming to a head.

I can sense we're on the edge of the veil of silence being lifted.

I have a good feeling about this week/month/quarter/year/generation.

HylianTom

Banned
And so, the first Wii-U meme was born.

Yep! It'll have to be incorporated into the OP somehow. :)

I also like the "but.. it's Nintendo" and ""because Reggie farted that one time" memes.

Color me skeptical of any decent third-party support. It why any crash won't have me crying into my beer.

frostbyte

I'm assuming worse support than Wii.

That's a pessimistic outlook. What was announced at E3 2011 was already more third party support than the Wii ever had.

I don't think it's too wrong to say that Wii U will have at least a tiny bit better third party support than Wii.

Yep! It'll have to be incorporated into the OP somehow. :)

I also like the "but.. it's Nintendo" and ""because Reggie farted that one time" memes.

Color me skeptical of any decent third-party support. It why any crash won't have me crying into my beer.

I think the ""because Reggie farted that one time" is only used in this thread though :p

btw, have I missed any substantial info or tidbits from Ideaman over the past few weeks I've been gone?

BurntPork

Banned
That's a pessimistic outlook. What was announced at E3 2011 was already more third party support than the Wii ever had.

I don't think it's too wrong to say that Wii U will have at least a tiny bit better third party support than Wii.

So if I assume worse, I won't be disappointed, now will I?

And do I get a hype train ticket or not!?!

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Much of what was announced last E3 was late ports. Arkham City will be a year old when it lands on Wii U. On the other hand, Wii actually had some decent third party exclusives.
That said, Wii U will probably have at least slightly better third party support, especially from Japan.

If I remember right, I think the Wii game news was locked down just as tight - we didn't know anything about what was coming until the E3 before launch. Nintendo is skilled at shutting up developers on-the record

I did stuff over a few weeks that I didn't even know I was doing.

zbl5J.png

Are you okay now?

Serious question. I am genuinely concerned for your well being.

Plus I'm wondering how BurntPorky you are going to be :p.

I still don't know what HAM means. :(

Nor did I until I googled it.

I believe it means 'hard as a melon farmer'.

You may wish to replace the last two words with another, that makes more sense in context though.

frostbyte

So if I assume worse, I won't be disappointed, now will I?

And do I get a hype train ticket or not!?!

You're free to believe that. I just think you're being slightly too skeptical. Having stronger 3rd support than the Wii isn't a particularly hard target.

Ask Nibel for the hype train ticket if he's still around. I've been away from this thread for a while.

Much of what was announced last E3 was late ports. Arkham City will be a year old when it lands on Wii U. On the other hand, Wii actually had some decent third party exclusives.
That said, Wii U will probably have at least slightly better third party support, especially from Japan.

Do you still remember ShockingAlberto's hints and tales of about certain developers thinking about adopting the Wii U? I'd say Japanese third party support will be a bit stronger than the Wii at the very least.

and I'd expect at least major western 3rd party multiplat games like Call of Duty and Assassin's Creed to be on the Wii U. and ACIII's already announced.

HylianTom

Banned
If I remember right, I think the Wii game news was locked down just as tight - we didn't know anything about what was coming until the E3 before launch. Nintendo is skilled at shutting up developers on-the record

At this point, we knew about quite a few more titles. Rayman, Red Steel, Brothers in Arms 3, Tony Hawk: Downhill Jam, etc etc.

Either the NDA is stricter this time, or third parties aren't hiding their distaste any more. We shall see.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
I think it's fair to say that the only titles available for the Wii U at launch will be Arkham City, Darksiders 2, Assassin's Creed 3, Aliens: Colonial Marines, Ninja Gaiden 3: Dragon Sword, and the big new Nintendo core IP, Waluigi's Mansion.

frostbyte

Still, I'll assume the worst.

Miyamoto will not support Wii U.

Nintendo not supporting the Wii U is gonna be a pickle, I bet.

I think it's fair to say that the only titles available for the Wii U at launch will be Arkham City, Darksiders 2, Assassin's Creed 3, Aliens: Colonial Marines, Ninja Gaiden 3: Dragon Sword, and the big new Nintendo core IP, Waluigi's Mansion.

Pikmin 3 and Lego City Stories aren't launch anymore?

E3 will be fun this year for me. I can't wait for the lid to be blown off. My free and clear Best Buy card is being saved for the WiiU Splosion at the end of the year. :D

Taker666

Has anyone seen this clip of a guy who made something like Wii U zapper (with a screen)to play FPS's?

I know there's something similar for the iPhone but this makes the "move your screen to shoot" stuff they were doing with Killer Freaks from Outer Space look far more appealing.

It's worth a look-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6GJy19nWgQ

At this point, we knew about quite a few more titles. Rayman, Red Steel, Brothers in Arms 3, Tony Hawk: Downhill Jam, etc etc.

Either the NDA is stricter this time, or third parties aren't hiding their distaste any more. We shall see.

Exactly. We got shit titles and shit third party support. Why is everyone here so optimistic?

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Wow, Rich, I'd count that as downright lying to your twitter followers.

C'mon...

It's IGN. The Nintendo side has a history of saying what they want from Nintendo's consoles (outlandish stuff) so they can write a negative article when they inevitably don't deliver. All last year, they kept insisting that the 3DS was flawed. And then when the Vita was released, they practically kept pleading with the 3DS owners to buy one.

The difference in tone between the "doomed" 3DS launch and the "successful" Vita launch was remarkable.

It's just a software library for audio.

I understand that.

GCADPCM is Nintendo's proprietary sample format. And yes, decompression is done on the fly by the DSP. If the hardware decompression didn't work (or isn't used) for whatever reason, the additional load would be quite significant - memory consumption and bandwidth goes up several hundred percent, and the CPU wastes cycles doing something the DSP was supposed to do.

Cool but I'm asking if this sample format got carried over to the WiiU just for backwards compatibility OR it can/will be actively used.

Wouldn't an upgraded audio interface (WiiU's DSP) "require" an upgraded sample format to take advantage of it's upgraded capabilities? (5.1 support, etc)

Waluigi's Orphanage was actually announced as a launch window title. Creepy.

Also I liked Arkham City enough that I might double dip and buy it for the WiiU. Especially if they package it with the dlc...which would be awesome.

FoneBone

None of those games (save Red Steel) were announced until just before E3 '06.

EDIT: Actually, Brothers in Arms wasn't announced until '07.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Nintendo not supporting the Wii U is gonna be a pickle, I bet.

Pikmin 3 and Lego City Stories aren't launch anymore?
No, Nintendo expect that Waluigi's Mansion will be enough.

A lot of those games weren't announced until late April, just weeks before E3. Nintendo just gave Ubisoft the exclusive early NDA lift for Red Steel.
Still, I'll assume the worst.

Miyamoto will not support Wii U.
The controller was just too unique for him.

Hiltz

Lost Planet 3 looks pretty cool, but I'd be concerned given shitty developer Spark Unlimited's involved on the project. Capcom better know what its doing or else this franchise may as well go away if it continues to fail to impress.

I'm pretty confident that we'll see several of these games ported to Wii U. Besides, hasn't every RE game been ported/remade/HD collection with the exception of RE 5 ? 360 and PS3 are even getting an HD Umbrella Chronicles + Darkside edition and those games originally came out in 2007 and 2009. We may have to wait 6 months to a year, but Re 6 will probably be coming to Wii U. I just don't want to see Capcom waste its time bringing RE 5 over as well.

HylianTom

Banned
Exactly. We got shit titles and shit third party support. Why is everyone here so optimistic?

I don't get it, the optimism.

My hope is that we get:
- one Resident Evil 4/Beyond Good & Evil-level game per generation; and,
- one No More Heroes/Madworld-level game per year

That's about my best, realistic hope for support. Otherwise, it's a Nintendo-playing machine for me. And if Nintendo is ramping-up its production like I think they are, I'm quote fine with that.

Wasn't there some Alien: Colonial Marines footage that was stated to be for Wii U in some UE3 reel back at GDC? I remember people saying that it was probably 360/PS3 footage though.

Hopefully, Nintendo's NDAs are the reason for this blackout.

Yeah. It was never confirmed if that was actual Wii U footage though.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
New idea for the nintendo Wii U rename.

Turn Wii U upside down and it becomes....

n !!M

The nintendo !!Machine

Lego City Stories is one I'm very much looking forward to. I'll probably grab several of the lauch titles this go around. I'm secretly hoping for a Trauma Center sequel where the tablet is used to show the body you are working on...that would be rad.

frostbyte

Lego City Stories is one I'm very much looking forward to. I'll probably grab several of the lauch titles this go around. I'm secretly hoping for a Trauma Center sequel where the tablet is used to show the body you are working on...that would be rad.

I'm not sure if Atlus is in any position to make niche games not called Shin Megami Tensei/Persona anymore after being absorbed into Index Holdings. Although Etrian Odyssey 4 was announced really, so I dunno.

I hope they do make a Trauma Center/Team sequel though.

It's IGN. The Nintendo side has a history of saying what they want from Nintendo's consoles (outlandish stuff) so they can write a negative article when they inevitably don't deliver. All last year, they kept insisting that the 3DS was flawed. And then when the Vita was released, they practically kept pleading with the 3DS owners to buy one.

The difference in tone between the "doomed" 3DS launch and the "successful" Vita launch was remarkable.

Look how successful they were ;)

A successful Vita launch is selling 1/4th of what 3DS sold in its "doomed" launch. Or what is the exchange rate by now? ;)

As long as the 1st and 2nd party games deliver on E3, im happy! Anything extra is just a nice and welcomed bonus!

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not sure if Atlus is in any position to make niche games not called Shin Megami Tensei/Persona anymore after being absorbed into Index Holdings. Although Etrian Odyssey 4 was announced really, so I dunno.

I hope they do make a Trauma Center/Team sequel though.
Trauma Team bombed, so I'd say it's done, sadly.
These 2 months have moved me from the "First day buyer" field to the "Wait until a price drop" one.
I don't think anyone will be in a good position to make decisions like that for another 2 months.

D_prOdigy

Lost Planet 3 looks pretty cool, but I'd be concerned given shitty developer Spark Unlimited's involved on the project. Capcom better know what its doing or else this franchise may as well go away if it continues to fail to impress.

Spark's Twitter replied to a tweet a few days ago that asked them if they had dev kits with something like "that would fall under NDA so we can't comment". They also said a Wii U port would be entirely up to the publisher so I imagine it could go either way.

They also literally said that the system "is on par with current gen systems", which I find difficult to believe was tweeted with no intention of getting a reaction.

Top Bottom