• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U System Update Details

Status
Not open for further replies.

javac

this happened to me once i deleted netflix and the shared data file, re downloaded it, and problem solved, give that a try and see if it works for you

Thank you, I will see when I get hope and give it a try! BTW, is the netflix application on the Wii U good? Thanks

Damian.

Banned
Despite not having an account system, Nintendo looks to be the only console maker that will let you transfer your current (Wii/PS3/360) games to your next-gen system. So, I think you should be a little nicer toward them on this topic.

Not going to give them a pass until they see that forcing you to repurchase the same game multiple times is ludicrous. The Wii->WiiU VC charges of $1.00-$1.50 per game is straight up corporate greed.

Lothars

Despite not having an account system, Nintendo looks to be the only console maker that will let you transfer your current (Wii/PS3/360) games to your next-gen system. So, I think you should be a little nicer toward them on this topic.
It's still not acceptable when ever other company has an account system and until they have an account system for downloads than they need to be called out constantly for it.

Parallacs

Well, since no one else wants to make the thread about this...

In yesterday's Nintendo Direct, it was announced the following improvements and features will be added to Wii U following the system update next week:

• Loading times will be improved when switching between software or when returning to the Wii U menu.
  • The ability to copy and move data between USB drives will be added.
  • The Wii U will automatically install new software that you have downloaded in the background while playing a game.
  • Software updates will automatically be downloaded (even without starting the software).
  • You can immediately access Wii Mode while the Wii U is starting up if you hold the B button.
  • The Wii U will continue downloading and installing software even if the system is turned off.
  • The Wii U Virtual Console will be added the day after the update.

I am so excited for this. It takes a lot longer than it should to sit down on a couch and start a Wii game. Maybe I'll start Last Story or restart Skyward Sword.

Not going to give them a pass until they see that forcing you to repurchase the same game multiple times is ludicrous. The Wii->WiiU VC charges of $1.00-$1.50 per game is straight up corporate greed.

nobody is forcing you to pay it and the games still play if you dont

• The Wii U will automatically install new software that you have downloaded in the background while playing a game.
  • Software updates will automatically be downloaded (even without starting the software).
  • The Wii U will continue downloading and installing software even if the system is turned off.

Impossible that they would give away such incredibly advanced capabilities for free, especially on such an inferior last gen system. Inconceivable. In fact I refuse to accept such charity without paying a monthly fee.

Akira_83

Banned

ugh your annoying

when you bought those VC games years ago you knew what you were getting. Nintendo did as well. It was what, like 5-10 bucks for most games? i spend that on coffee and a bagel in the morning or for lunch

Where they supposed to know they were gonna launch another system with new features like a touchscreen, etc and make gaurantees that they would work on them?

no , nintendo is obligated to let you play those VC games on your Wii, not your WiiU. And you can still play all those VC games on the Wii... want offscreen play and save states and miiverse integration? then be grateful you only have to pay a buck or two and its yours

they could totally have charged EVERYONE full price for the games again and it would be ok

your post reeks of entitlement and i cant stand it

Akira_83

Banned
If you buy a PS1 classic you play it on PS3 PSP PSV. No need to rebuy the same classics on every platform like Nintendo's consumer shitting policy.

They didnt change or add anything to PS1 classics (as far as features go) for the PS3 or Vita from the PSP though

how can you compare?

Meelow

Banned
Impossible that they would give away such incredibly advanced capabilities for free, especially on such an inferior last gen system. Inconceivable. In fact I refuse to accept such charity without paying a monthly fee.

Lol, for a second I thought you were being serious.

But yeah, this is good news.

Fonz72

I really don't see how paying a nominal fee for extra functionality is wrong. The games still work in their orginal forms without any payment at all. You pay $1-1.5 for NEW features not the games.

flattie

Why is it? They have added features to those games which were previously unavailable. If you don't want to pay the negligible upgrade fee then in a few days you can hold 'b' to boot straight into Wii mode and play your games for no extra cost. On your new system. Which has been made to play all your old games. So you don't have to buy them again.

Damian.

Banned
your post reeks of entitlement and i cant stand it

My post reeks of fairness, and not getting screwed by a greedy company that will gladly watch the sheep pay for the same games again and again year after year.

I will give you the benefit of being right about the small charge for extra features, that was semi-decent of them to do that.

But, after this cycle if they don't give us a unified account system across their devices, then it will be 100% proven that Nintendo gives no fucks about anything but their bottom line. It's gross that some are so blinded that they can't see what is directly in front of their face.

Akira_83

Banned
My post reeks of fairness, and not getting screwed by a greedy company that will gladly watch the sheep pay for the same games again and again year after year.

I will give you the benefit of being right about the small charge for extra features, that was semi-decent of them to do that.

But, after this cycle if they don't give us a unified account system across their devices, then it will be 100% proven that Nintendo gives no fucks about anything but their bottom line. It's gross that some are so blinded that they can't see what is directly in front of their face.

but what if next gen their next system has some new kind of features and they want to offer an improved version of their VC games once again.. are they not entitled to earning money for putting more work into the vc again?

you can play all your Wii VC games on the wiiu so no reason to suspect you wont be able to play your WiiU vc games on your Wii-whatever comes next

JoeM86

Actually, it's not.

They have to recreate the emulator for each game to make it work on the architecture. They're also adding various features including complete control customisation and off-tv play which doesn't exist on the current Wii Virtual Console.

You can still play your Wii Virtual Console games on your Wii U, even easier now we can go directly into Wii mode.

Here, they're just trying to make up for money they've spent in development. Contrary to what people keep seeming to believe, they are a business.

Damian.

Banned
Actually, it's not.

They have to recreate the emulator for each game to make it work on the architecture. They're also adding various features including complete control customisation and off-tv play which doesn't exist on the current Wii Virtual Console.

You can still play your Wii Virtual Console games on your Wii U, even easier now we can go directly into Wii mode.

Here, they're just trying to make up for money they've spent in development. Contrary to what people keep seeming to believe, they are a business.

Se we will forever be screwed and we will be buying Mario 64 for the 5th time 20 years from now? Will the 5th times charge be justified because they allow you to select different resolutions? How can they justify the 6th time? They seem to be building off similar architecture with each new system, it's not some huge undertaking to give us a rom dump with an emulator. If they cared about the consumer they would take it upon themselves to make their own emulation plan and give us a unified account system and allow us to build collections instead of herp derping each console cycle with mismatched collections spanning several systems.

JoeM86

Se we will forever be screwed and we will be buying Mario 64 for the 5th time 20 years from now?

No. We're paying for the upgraded software that runs the game. It's only a small amount and is not necessary to play the game on the console

Deadstar

I really hope the load times are cut down to 5 seconds max. I never click on anything because of the 20-30 second load times. It's ridiculous.

Hadn't turned on the Wii U since the last thirty-cent VC game and was still taken aback by just how fucking slow the interface is. I mean, this thing is still slower than any consumer device I can remember since, maybe, the old CD-based systems with their single-speed drives. Ninty really needs to step it up fast. And the lack of user-defined behaviors for downloads annoys when I have to wait on the super slow D/L speed of a thirty-something megabyte file to finish and then ask me if I want to install. Clunky as fuck.

JoeM86

Hadn't turned on the Wii U since the last thirty-cent VC game and was still taken aback by just how fucking slow the interface is. I mean, this thing is still slower than any consumer device I can remember since, maybe, the old CD-based systems with their single-speed drives. Ninty really needs to step it up fast. And the lack of user-defined behaviors for downloads annoys when I have to wait on the super slow D/L speed of a thirty-something megabyte file to finish and then ask me if I want to install. Clunky as fuck.

Odd. Other than download/install speed, it runs faster than my 360.

They have also said games will automatically install now

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Will the 5th times charge be justified because they allow you to select different resolutions?
Like a HD remake? Didn't other companies charge you full price for something like that and you are complaining about 1 buck. At least focus your efforts on the 3DS charging full price for NES roms you already own on the Wii with no way to transfer your old Wii VC on to it.

By your argument you have received a free copy of every game you bought on previous system. Take a photo of your Super Mario 64 cartridge and get a free download code!

Dunlop

Maybe the update will let me configure TVii, I gave up after the 3rd freeze that forced me to hard reboot the system

I like how Nintendo lets you play your VC games without buying them again and everyone ignores it.
It's nice, but it would have been nicer to not have to boot into the Wii environment to play them. Shortcut channels should automatically do this when playing older software trapped in that older OS.
Odd. Other than download/install speed, it runs faster than my 360.

They have also said games will automatically install now

I've tried everything to improve the speed, and it's still terrible randomly while my other consoles, even the slow-ass PSN, are faster on a regular basis. Nice to see some addressing of the weaknesses of the interface, though Ninty is under the gun in a serious way.

The Friend List should either be removed or integrated into Miiverse. I shouldn't have to access a separate app just to see which friends of mine are online.

Damian.

Banned
Like a HD remake? Didn't other companies charge you full price for something like that and you are complaining about 1 buck. At least focus your efforts on the 3DS charging full price for NES roms you already own on the Wii with no way to transfer your old Wii VC on to it.

By your argument you have received a free copy of every game you bought on previous system. Take a photo of your Super Mario 64 cartridge and get a free download code!

Not an HD remake, a resolution switcher. Something similar to the "PS Smoothing" option that Sony has for PS1 games.

Don't stoop to ridiculous levels by bringing a cartridge snapshot into it. Don't need dumb analogies clogging up threads. Once you purchase a game digitally, it should be in your collection and there should be one singular official ROM collection offered by Nintendo so we can build libraries and spend more money instead of sparingly spending here and there across multiple systems for multiple years.

Nintendo may not realize it, but if they took my advice they would make more money and keep more fans happy in the long run and maybe keep their console business afloat in the wake of personal PCs and small computing devices taking over and killing the console business model. If they don't adapt they will kill themselves with old ideologies and greedy tactics.

I really don't see how paying a nominal fee for extra functionality is wrong. The games still work in their orginal forms without any payment at all. You pay $1-1.5 for NEW features not the games.
Its more the per game part I object to myself. I understand there are costs of adding this support which should be recouped but how many times? After a certain amount its rather routine of most the groundwork done. The same goes for the emulators the things run on btw (yes theres coded per game basis but what that means is they can add features without breaking existing games, in other words the same sloppy effort zsnes and snes9x are lambasted for).

A good will gesture would have been $1 up to $10 then the rest is free. It would make people with large collections feel less exploited.

Plus the fact its only games they'll release, when they'll release so no Irem games or DKC...btw, I also wonder what happens to those next hardware.

Fonz72

Not an HD remake, a resolution switcher. Something similar to the "PS Smoothing" option that Sony has for PS1 games.

Don't stoop to ridiculous levels by bringing a cartridge snapshot into it. Don't need dumb analogies clogging up threads. Once you purchase a game digitally, it should be in your collection and there should be one singular official ROM collection offered by Nintendo so we can build libraries and spend more money instead of sparingly spending here and there across multiple systems for multiple years.

Nintendo may not realize it, but if they took my advice they would make more money and keep more fans happy in the long run and maybe keep their console business afloat in the wake of personal PCs and small computing devices taking over and killing the console business model. If they don't adapt they will kill themselves with old ideologies and greedy tactics.

You should write them a strongly worded letter! Use ALL CAPS so they know your serious!

I do agree that it would be optimal to have a "Nintendo collection" a la Steam. I really dislike the disconnect between 3DS, Wii and Wii U. I have faith that big N will continue to make improvements. They have made monumental strides since 3DS came out.

Frodo

I really would like an update to fix the thing that keeps spinning the disc even when you are not playing the game. It's my biggest annoyance with the Wii U. Don't know how that went overlooked.

But good to have the loading times reduced, and downloading and installing the game with the system off is a big one too! Now give me that revamped account system, Nintendo! :D

flattie

Its more the per game part I object to myself. I understand there are costs of adding this support which should be recouped but how many times? After a certain amount its rather routine of most the groundwork done. The same goes for the emulators the things run on btw (yes theres coded per game basis but what that means is they can add features without breaking existing games, in other words the same sloppy effort zsnes and snes9x are lambasted for).

A good will gesture would have been $1 up to $10 then the rest is free. It would make people with large collections feel less exploited.

Plus the fact its only games they'll release, when they'll release so no Irem games or DKC...btw, I also wonder what happens to those next hardware.

Maybe another answer would be a subscription model? Pay a monthly Netflix style fee for unlimited access to the Virtual Console on all systems.

I kind of already see the legacy stuff as a service anyhow. I don't see why Nintendo shouldn't capitalise their assets if people continue to support it, and personally don't mind paying small fees for my favourite classics every 5-10 years or so.

TAS

In regards to the overscan issue, you should be able to fix it in the settings menu. I have an (older) Panasonic LCD and under Advanced Settings, there is an option for HD size 1 and 2. Up until recently, it was always set to HD Size 1 by default. For the longest time I was under the impression that the overscan issue was only for the Wii U, but in actuality it was affecting everything including my PS3 and my PC. Since switching to HD Size 2 everything is perfect.

Actually you buy it once and then pay a small fee for some updates.

Or you could stop buying Mario 64 so much.

I bought Super Mario 64 once and never bought it again because the first one still works perfectly fine. Am I weird? I feel like I'm cheating Nintendo 4 copies of the game.

OryoN

I really don't see how paying a nominal fee for extra functionality is wrong. The games still work in their orginal forms without any payment at all.You pay $1-1.5 for NEW features not the games.

Which is why I don't get what all the noise is about. If they don't care for the extra features, then don't pay for them! But don't "cry outrage" because Nintendo didn't add new features to your old games for free.

Except it isn't an HD remake? It's save states and gamepad play. While it's nice they're only charging $1 or so, it's dumb to even bring up the HD remake in your argument.

We should riot the Miiverse until Nintendo stops royally screwing us over with the separate account system. Tired of of old businessmen having meetings on how to siphon the max amount of money from their userbase. Be fair, and it will work out for you in the end, Nintendo.

This.

I want to get Kirby for $0.30. I have to go buy a $20 card for my Wii U instead of using the $0.44 tied to my 3DS account. So ridiculous.

serplux

This.

I want to get Kirby for $0.30. I have to go buy a $20 card for my Wii U instead of using the $0.44 tied to my 3DS account. So ridiculous.

You don't have a credit card? :p

It is stupid that the 3DS and Wii U accounts aren't integrated, since so much is shared between the two eShops. That needs to be rectified.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Except it isn't an HD remake? It's save states and gamepad play. While it's nice they're only charging $1 or so, it's dumb to even bring up the HD remake in your argument.
He was the one who brought up resolution so I wanted clarification what he meant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom