• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U System Update Details

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dunkelgrau

I don't really have a problem with it either. Doesn't mean it cant get faster though!
True.
But the shitstorm was annoying. I never would have noticed a problem when those people of the internet would not have been.

(I really should improve my english-skills.)

Right, we know that Nintendo thought there was enough of a base to steadily sell 5m consoles between November and April. The decision to not give it the massive marketing push associated with a new console will have been made some time ago, and these system updates are comprehensive enough to suggest they've been in the pipeline for some time.

Seems to me that it was a 'soft' launch in several ways, something I've suspected for a while. The huge misjudgement was the amount of consoles that would effectively "sell themselves", and while I think the rest is effectively as planned, the question now is whether the strategy has misfired horribly enough to taint perception of the system irredeemably. We know from the 360 and, to a lesser extent, the 3DS that (deservedly) awful press can be overcome, but there are no guarantees.

The general confusion and lack of awareness of just what the Wii U is might work in Nintendo's favour here. I cannot deny that I've been very happy with the console, but I do think I'm effectively a beta tester. I didn't like it when MS did it, so I can't give Nintendo a pass; I just hope their beta program lasts less than 2-3 years.

Robin64

Don't know why the U never got folders, when that was a pretty big deal for 3DS. I don't want all my Virtual Console games taking up pages of the home screen when they could all be in one place, or a few folders for each console.

I hope they fix some of the overscan issues. I like that some games have overscan options in their menus. But, there are many issues with the Wara Wara plaza and NSMBU.

Roo

What about the people with no internet in their house?

They are screwed with firmware 1.0?

To be honest, that's not Nintendo's problem anymore.
People should know by now that a videogame console needs a constant internet conection to enjoy some of its features (in this case, system updates)

It's like if you were asking if people who bought a brand new smarthphone today were screwed with android 4.0 and Google decides to release android 5.0 the next day.

So yeah, in short they're screwed

Hasney

To be honest, that's not Nintendo's problem anymore.
People should know by now that a videogame console needs a constant internet conection to enjoy some of its features (in this case, system updates)

It's like if you were asking if people who bought a brand new smarthphone today where screwed with android 4.0 and Google decides to release android 5.0 the next day.

So yeah, in short they're screwed

I assume it will be on-disc for some games in the future too, preventing any compatibility issues.

We are getting a free game for beta testing this thing up til this update, right?
You can buy Yoshi for $0.30...its practically free and it'll never be that cheap again.

Yes, I still think of the 30 FCVC promotion as being a reward for buying the system early

D-e-f-

Banned
You can buy Yoshi for $0.30...its practically free and it'll never be that cheap again.

Yes, I still think of the 30 FCVC promotion as being a reward for buying the system early

I already feel bad for getting Super Metroid for a measly 30 cents next month.

Somnid

It essentially is, I think they purposely avoided the same sort of "ambassador" branding but the idea is mostly the same.

F#A#Oo

Banned
I hope Nintendo plans on releasing GCN game's.

There wasn't an awful lot of game's but certainly enough for Nintendo to potentially release 20/30 excellent/good game's from that era.

NotLiquid

There wasn't an awful lot of game's but certainly enough for Nintendo to potentially release 20/30 excellent/good game's from that era.

Controller inputs is going to hamper that from happening anytime soon. At best, expect remakes/New Play Control style games.

D-e-f-

Banned

While it's incredibly irritating that you're using apostrophe+s for simple-ass plurals, I don't see why eventual GCN release shouldn't be possible. Since there's basically a Wii inside the thing, it should be able to run GCN code pretty easily from my pov.

Controller inputs is going to hamper that from happening anytime soon. At best, expect remakes/New Play Control style games.

Controller inputs? How? The GamePad should be set up with all the control inputs - barring analogue triggers - for GCN games, and I'm sure button remapping can be implemented. Emulation should be a non-issue given the hardware setup of the Wii U, and it would be a fantastic way to bulk out the library of the system during quiet periods.

D-e-f-

Banned
Controller inputs? How? The GamePad should be set up with all the control inputs - barring analogue triggers - for GCN games, and I'm sure button remapping can be implemented. Emulation should be a non-issue given the hardware setup of the Wii U, and it would be a fantastic way to bulk out the library of the system during quiet periods.

The analog triggers are the only problem there. Though I think aside from losing the option to regulate the pressure intensity, no actual gameplay functions should be impacted for most games.

How many games actually made use of them that is at least somewhat critical to gameplay?

Super Mario Sunshine and?

Does Sunshine use them in a way that makes it necessary, for example, for you to push them only halfway down and then stay there? 'Cause otherwise tapping would do the job of regulating this stuff.

It's definitely not perfect but I can't think of any GCN game in my collection that needs the analog triggers.

NotLiquid

It'd be kind of awkward to remap the analog triggers since as far as I recall the analog *click* is a separate input - one which first-party games like Sunshine actually used to their advantage. Melee players might be missing out on the shield sensitivity.

It could be done I suppose but the solutions I see would probably make the control schemes awkward. Assuming this is a problem for Nintendo in their quick ports.

cacildo

I may be the only one, but i really dont think loading times are that long.

In fact when i first got the system last sunday, the "HUGE UPDATE" took like five minutes (but i was making it at 3:00am)

(other updates and downloads - all made during the day - took some heavy time, ill admit)

But aside from this, my main grip with the system is the gamepad disconnecting without any reason. It happens like two, three times every play session, but it is kind of annoying and scary (if it gets worst)

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
The analog triggers are the only problem there. Though I think aside from losing the option to regulate the pressure intensity, no actual gameplay functions should be impacted for most games.

How many games actually made use of them that is at least somewhat critical to gameplay?

Super Mario Sunshine and?

Does Sunshine use them in a way that makes it necessary, for example, for you to push them only halfway down and then stay there? 'Cause otherwise tapping would do the job of regulating this stuff.

It's definitely not perfect but I can't think of any GCN game in my collection that needs the analog triggers.

Smash Bros, Luigi's Mansion, F-Zero, Wave Race, pretty much all first party Nintendo titles use the analog triggers.

AzaK

The "will download/install while powered off" thing is gibberish, since obviously it can't be OFF. So there is the implication of some sort of standby mode there. But what will the actual implementation be? Will it go to standby when you turn it off only when it's downloading/installing something, then go to full-off when the install is done? Is it ALWAYS going to be in standby mode? If so, can it receive notifications, or Wii Chat requests, and light up the GamePad circle?

I mean I am sure it can't do those last things, since they weren't announced. But SOME sort of standby mode being implicit here gives me hope that the Summer update will implement more functionality and flesh it out into a fully-fledged standby mode. (Also make Wii Chat a system-level piece of software like the shop and Miiverse, so it's not completely useless.) BOY I CAN HOPE.
I hope for always on for notifications and that chat needs to be fast to fire up and notify friends when you're calling. It's useless at present.

D-e-f-

Banned
Smash Bros, Luigi's Mansion, F-Zero, Wave Race, pretty much all first party Nintendo titles use the analog triggers.

I don't own Luigi's Mansion and Sold Smash Bros but what is it in those games that makes analog input absolutely necessary, especially in Smash?

I'll have to pop in F-Zero GX and Wave Race:BS myself after lunch to check but what are they doing that makes analog ABSOLUTELY (!) necessary? I specifically asked for games that don't just "use" it but use it in a way that cannot possibly be achieved by tapping in a similar way or even be neglected.

F-Zero has the left/right slide on the shoulder buttons, it worked on the SNES and N64 with digital triggers, why not in GX? I forgot what Wave Race is doing but I don't recall anything new that required analog input without exception.

Similarly, I don't remember anything from Paper Mario or Eternal Darkness or Wind Waker or Four Swords Adventures or Pikmin or Chibi Robo or Mario Kart using them.

Don't get me wrong, it sucks that the GamePad and Pro Controller don't have analog triggers and I would be delighted to have them but I don't see why they would be absolutely critical for GCN games to work. (And they could always just sell a GameCube U controller, which I would gladly buy, by the way)

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Hopefully, it also fixes the overscan problem on HDTVs too.
Won't happen since the whole idea is that the image on both screens match.

And the underscan problem in Wii mode, along with absence of RGB Full Range.
No idea if they will even bother much with Wii mode from here on out. Would be nice if they did fix this problem so one doesn't have to change their TV settings when switching.

Forkball

Sounds great but they can still do a lot of improvements. The downloading changes are great since sometimes I get terrible download speeds for Wii U.

pa22word

...still no full range hdmi support?

Fucking hell. If it's not here by the next update then I'm probably going to dump the system. I'm tired of my games looking like shit because nintendo can't be bothered to join the 21st century.

That's really a problem with your TV, not the Wii U...

I'll agree to an extent, but it's a very common problem with an awful lot of TVs. More importantly, it's a known problem - Sony and Microsoft both have certification rules that forbid developers putting interface elements outside of the safe area (or if they do, they have to have a setup option to allow users to adjust it for their screen).

Won't happen since the whole idea is that the image on both screens match.

What does that even mean?

Damian.

Banned
...still no full range hdmi support?

Fucking hell. If it's not here by the next update then I'm probably going to dump the system. I'm tired of my games looking like shit because nintendo can't be bothered to join the 21st century.

Do we know if the system is capable of it at least so we can hold out hope? Currently I am hindering my PC IQ on my TV by using limited range just to support the Wii U from looking washed out.

Revven

I don't own Luigi's Mansion and Sold Smash Bros but what is it in those games that makes analog input absolutely necessary, especially in Smash?

For Smash, it's how you lightshield (the bigger shield), powershield (reflect projectiles), etc. It's very important for competitive play (less so for casual play). It also makes it so air dodging doesn't activate on a half press of the shoulder buttons, for example.

It's why the lightshield is completely absent in Brawl, because the Wiimote, Wiimote + Nunchuk, and CC don't have analogue triggers/input. Otherwise, had they not offered those other control options, it would have had lightshielding and powershielding. And while some form of powershielding is in Brawl, it's only for physical attacks; which allows you to act immediately out of your shield (it happens frequently partially because of the fact that there's no analogue input to differentiate it from just regularly shielding).

FyreWulff

Background downloading and installing of updates is what I was expecting WiiConnect24 to do on the Wii when they announced it back then, so that's nice. And hopefully that encourages devs to not be afraid to push updates if users have a good chance of never seeing the update dialogue.

Pyrrhus

The underscan is annoying as hell in VC and Wii modes. Also, the low-res, bilinear filter they put on all the games in VC just looks awful. Blurs the games and dulls the color. The whites look gray. Why does Nintendo care so little for image quality and proper presentation when they charge premium prices for their back catalog?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
What does that even mean?
Take NSMBU, the game displays the same image on both screens. The GamePad doesn't have overscan so it displays the full image no problem.

At best you can hope for a game by game solution where you can move the hud around, but no system can universally calculate how people want their huds to look.

Your tv doesn't have a full pixel mode?

I don't know. Regardless, I shouldn't have to go through all these settings to get it to fit the screen correctly. I should just be able to switch to the HDMI setting on my TV and that's it, just like I do for 360 and PS3.

That's really a problem with your TV, not the Wii U...

I've hooked it up to a three HDTVs, including one that I just bought this past November, and it still overscans.

beje

Banned
I don't know. Regardless, I shouldn't have to go through all these settings to get it to fit the screen correctly. I should just be able to switch to the HDMI setting on my TV and that's it, just like I do for 360 and PS3.

I've hooked it up to a three HDTVs, including one that I just bought this past November, and it still overscans.

Use the "change ratio" button in your remote (the one that switches between 4:3, 16:9, zoom, etc...) as it's likely one of them activates the "Just Scan" or "1:1 pixel" mode like it does on my TV.

Somnid

The underscan is annoying as hell in VC and Wii modes. Also, the low-res, bilinear filter they put on all the games in VC just looks awful. Blurs the games and dulls the color. The whites look gray. Why does Nintendo care so little for image quality and proper presentation when they charge premium prices for their back catalog?

Only a few TG16 games have filtering. Your entire post is actually about how much your TV sucks.

Mileena

Banned

Really shitty if true. Ambassadors got 20 games, this is 3 games @ one a month so far.

Damian.

Banned

What TV models have you hooked it up to? Unless the TV is fairly old or a CRT/DLP HDTV, this shouldn't be an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom