• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U UK Sales Rose Almost 125% Last Week

they've been running blanket ads on some kids channels for lego city

That's not really a full blooded campaign though - few parents are going to rush out and drop £250 for a console plus game - more a relatively inexpensive way of promoting a new release that appeals to that market.

Later this year, they need to dust off the cringe worthy celebs when Mario Kart + the official price cut hits and run them on ITV, etc.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Found this on another board, are these legit numbers for prior week?

wiiu.PNG

better than 1-3k suggested, but still bad, if true. Would put it roughly around 15k?

Smells like something from banned site.

That site is known for pulling numbers out of it's owner ass ;)

Altrough since they adjust to data from more credible sources like financial reports it can be used as not bad agregator of past data for hardware.

not sure, the board I got it from doesnt mention the source. Though comments says Chartz, which means BS numbers, but Im not sure how they deduced this comes from chartz...but does seem likely.

they deduced it because it looks exactly the same as the stuff on bollockschartz website

Didn't the console had like an over 100 pounds price drop in there? 125% is not really encouraging then, even less considering how low the numberes were.

majik13

Didn't the console had like an over 100 pounds price drop in there? 125% is not really encouraging then, even less considering how low the numberes were.

140 plus zombiu, but that was unofficially on friday, and officially this monday, so perhaps not much of an effect to this percentage.

its had a £100 drop + a free game, but in one shop only, a shop that is currently bankrupt and has already closed half its branches so its not as easy as it could be to get hold of at that price

I picked one up last weekend from HMV.

£199 for Wii U Premium + Nintendoland + Zombie U

It was close enough to the magic £200 impulse buy point for me and I'll get enough mileage out of the system at that price on the Nintendo titles alone during it's lifespan.

Figured it would take a while for the Premium system to get down to £130 so it seemed like good enough value.

The sales figures aren't great and there's still the Nintendo drought to contend with but at that price I can't really grumble as I don't get much free time for games these days.

This was at one retailer having a "going out of business" sale.

HMV did not take a loss on this sale.

It's no coincidence that Nintendo had this big meeting with UK retailers then a week later a sale appears with the Wii U premium at a very attractive price point.

I picked one up last weekend from HMV.

£199 for Wii U Premium + Nintendoland + Zombie U

It was close enough to the magic £200 impulse buy point for me and I'll get enough mileage out of the system at that price on the Nintendo titles alone during it's lifespan.

Figured it would take a while for the Premium system to get down to £130 so it seemed like good enough value.

The sales figures aren't great and there's still the Nintendo drought to contend with but at that price I can't really grumble as I don't get much free time for games these days.

theres certainly some unknown dates for key games but hopefully the drought is over with at least some games coming regularly now

It's no coincidence that Nintendo had this big meeting with UK retailers then a week later a sale appears with the Wii U premium at a very attractive price point.

Do you think they might be testing this price to make it more permanent, or was it a one off to help the administrator shift inventory?

jeffers

except the statement said they'd meet and show plans in the next few weeks.
“We’ll be speaking to our retailers directly over the next few weeks to take them through our plans for building Wii U momentum over the course of 2013,” said a Nintendo spokesperson. “We have a strong and broad line-up of software launching this year and we look forward to updating – and exciting – our partners over the coming weeks.”

as anecdotal as this is, and im pretty sure the guy wasnt on the same thread as me, HMV staff guy said he knew they were selling it at a loss (unclear if he meant he knew nintendo were, or hmv). also think you'd have similar moves elsewhere as well.

Do you think they might be testing this price to make it more permanent, or was it a one off to help the administrator shift inventory?

Nintendo have been testing price points since launch given the tepid response to the current ones.

An administrator wouldn't take a loss like this (£100 per unit based on current trade prices), it would go against everything they stand for. They are there to salvage a businesses, not drive it further into the red.

i thought the 'big meeting' hadn't happened yet?

I was under the impression they had already started having them.

Nintendo have been testing price points since launch given the tepid response to the current ones.

An administrator wouldn't take a loss like this (£100 per unit based on current trade prices), it would go against everything they stand for. They are there to salvage a businesses, not drive it further into the red.

I was under the impression they had already started having them.

perhaps they are, i only briefly read the reports/thread thought it said it'd be in a couple of weeks time

jeffers

unsure how credit works in retail, but having stock in warehouses isnt worth anything if you cant shift it, so theres logic for selling something for a loss just to liquidate stock and get any return out of it you can (which helps the administator by having a bit more revenue/cash in hand to play with)

unsure how credit works in retail, but having stock in warehouses isnt worth anything if you cant shift it, so theres logic for selling something for a loss just to liquidate stock and get any return out of it you can (which helps the administator by having a bit more revenue/cash in hand to play with)

as far as i'm aware most of hmv's more recently acquired stock (so i'd assume that includes all wii u stuff) doesnt actually belong to them

edit -
The administrator is said to have a deal in place with Hilco, so the inventory value is worth more to the creditors.

or i could be completely wrong

They would do it if they thought it was their best chance of recouping the cost, practically everything is one sale at HMV right now.

The Wii U stock obviously hadn't been selling well and they might just be looking to liquidate what Wii U stock they have before other shops try to.

The administrator is said to have a deal in place with Hilco, so the inventory value is worth more to the creditors.

as far as i'm aware most of hmv's more recently acquired stock (so i'd assume that includes all wii u stuff) doesnt actually belong to them

Indeed. Their Nintendo and Sony stock is on appro from what I have read.

Top Bottom