• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii update 3.4 is out.

Linkhero1

viciouskillersquirrel said:
BootMii better be installable if you downloaded the 3.3.X update.
Good thing you don't have to install it :p

It loads before the Wii System Menu loads, so everything is in your control before the Wii even boots up >:-D

Whoa. I was just online with my wii checking out the latest DS demos. Checked my homebrew after seeing this thread.

Everything appears to be working, but now I'm paranoid to do anything online for fear of Nintendo stealth bombing it lol

In the long run it may just be easier to import a Wii from Japan now that I know you can just plug in and play them in the US. Of course, I'm really too poor to do that lol.

Bizzyb said:
I'm still using ver. 3.2

and just took off Wiiconnect. Dammit I'm going to play Capcom vs Tatsunoko one way or the other.

Lmao, they will probably put a stealth update in it. Right when you first boot it up and are creating a save file....BAM!!!

WiiBrick

Haunted

abstract alien said:
Lmao, they will probably put a stealth update in it. Right when you first boot it up and are creating a save file....BAM!!!

WiiBrick
:eek:

LinkHero1 said:
Shit, Good thing I saw this thread before going on my Wii. Disconnected everything, deleted all my internet connections.
Oh yeah? Well, I just unplugged the Wii and then cut my internet cable in two so Nintendo couldn't update.

Posting this from my cellphone.

I downloaded the update, and the only changes I experienced were that it turned stand-by on (it had been off) and changed the light setting from bright to dim. Why do they have go and screw with our stuff?

Linkhero1 said:
Good thing you don't have to install it :p

It loads before the Wii System Menu loads, so everything is in your control before the Wii even boots up >:-D
Theoretically. We've yet to see anything that will suggest that BootMii will live up to the hype.

Still, I was hoping it wouldn't come to this. A PSP-style CFW model for the Wii where Nintendo and the homebrew hackers are in a constant arms race isn't something that gets me excited.

Linkhero1

Haunted said:
Oh yeah? Well, I just unplugged the Wii and then cut my internet cable in two so Nintendo couldn't update.

Posting this from my cellphone.
psh. I tossed my Wii into a dumpster and set the dumpster on fire. I'm posting this from a bums laptop :p

You hear that NINTENDO?! A bums laptop

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Theoretically. We've yet to see anything that will suggest that BootMii will live up to the hype.

Still, I was hoping it wouldn't come to this. A PSP-style CFW model for the Wii where Nintendo and the homebrew hackers are in a constant arms race isn't something that gets me excited.
Likewise, but if it turns out to be our only option to play imports than so be it. I have to get my fix of Naruto Ex and TvC :D

Haunted

DefectiveReject said:
i updated and my Region free still works :)

CHICKENS!
ok4r4w.jpg

Linkhero1 said:
psh. I tossed my Wii into a dumpster and set the dumpster on fire. I'm posting this from a bums laptop :p

You hear that NINTENDO?! A bums laptop
:lol :lol You win.

If Nintendo really wanted to be dicks they could have stuff put on the Capcom vs. disc that disables homebrew on US consoles.

I don't know if that's possible, but it would piss a bunch of people off. lol

MoogPaul

so let's review todays console updates:

wii update: bad, evil, malicious.
xbox update: early, awesome, boner.

take the good with the bad I guess :-(

HUELEN10

DefectiveReject said:
i updated and my Region free still works :)

CHICKENS!
You do know that if you are lying,m you will probably be banned right? I ask you to provide vids, please. I ask with all humbleness.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Do we know if Animal Crossing: City Folk contains this update? Because if that's the case then I sure as hell am not buying the game.

Regulus Tera said:
Do we know if Animal Crossing: City Folk contains this update? Because if that's the case then I sure as hell am not buying the game.

I think it does. Normally, I'm all over new Nintendo releases but now I'm afraid of them. :lol

I've updated mine and the stuff i have works. But then again i have nothing illegal on my Wii (WAD's e.t.c.)
i cannot vouch fr your Wii and the effect an update will have you.
GO to GBA Temp, people on there have updated too and it has left HBC on there.
I did have WiiKey for playing import games, then i had a Freeloader. Both of those are rendered dead by previous updates, GeckoOS is the only thing that keeps me from throwing my Wii at the wall. And with Animal Crossing City Folk running on my Wii now i had no choice but to update if i was gonna be visitng people online an all!

Gabyskra

Banned
DefectiveReject said:
I've updated mine and the stuff i have works. But then again i have nothing illegal on my Wii (WAD's e.t.c.)
i cannot vouch fr your Wii and the effect an update will have you.
GO to GBA Temp, people on there have updated too and it has left HBC on there.
I did have WiiKey for playing import games, then i had a Freeloader. Both of those are rendered dead by previous updates, GeckoOS is the only thing that keeps me from throwing my Wii at the wall. And with Animal Crossing City Folk running on my Wii now i had no choice but to update if i was gonna be visitng people online an all!

Right, only you accepted the possibility that they remove it at any time.

Gabyskra said:
Right, only you accepted the possibility that they remove it at any time.

It sucks that they'd go after homebrew and import stuff. I can see why they'd try to snuff out the emulators, but a lot of us just wanna play the games they won't release in certain territories.

Why is that so wrong?

Andrex said:
Probably never, need to keep the shop channel's size down after all.
It's not like there's some default browser it uses; it's a completely separate application from the Internet Channel. One would think a custom solution could be the smaller, since it would only have what's necessary.
Regulus Tera said:
It contains some update, but I don't know which one. You can get around it by doing something like running the homebrew GeckoOS and launching from there.
comedy bomb said:
It sucks that they'd go after homebrew and import stuff. I can see why they'd try to snuff out the emulators, but a lot of us just wanna play the games they won't release in certain territories.

Why is that so wrong?
Computers in general aren't very smart. It can't tell whether you're using homebrew to play pirated copies of all their games or to host a webserver for your local orphanage. So the only solution to stop you from doing the bad thing is to stop you from doing anything unintended.

wsippel

Banned
JoshuaJSlone said:
Computers in general aren't very smart. It can't tell whether you're using homebrew to play pirated copies of all their games or to host a webserver for your local orphanage. So the only solution to stop you from doing the bad thing is to stop you from doing anything unintended.
As far as I know, the homebrew stuff that enables you to play pirated retail games uses a custom IOS, something most "legal" homebrew doesn't need. So it's at least partially possible to specifically identify dubious homebrew.

wsippel said:
As far as I know, the homebrew stuff that enables you to play pirated retail games uses a custom IOS, something most "legal" homebrew doesn't need. So it's at least partially possible to specifically identify dubious homebrew.
So the HBC doesn't require a custom IOS? I'm not down on the details of how this stuff works.

Linkhero1

I've been lurking other forums and some claim (not sure if this is true, DONT KILL ME!...yet) once you install 3.4U from that point on the Wii will auto-update.

HUELEN10

Linkhero1 said:
I've been lurking other forums and some claim (not sure if this is true, DONT KILL ME!...yet) once you install 3.4U from that point on the Wii will auto-update.
I have heard this too. That one "imageboard"'s game section has a "thread" on this as well.

Good god, I spent hours and hours trying to get the Homebrew Channel working yesterday... and now that I finally got it installed, Nintendo block the thing? All I want to do is play Zack and Wiki in English (as opposed to Japanese).

1) Wii24 Turn Off
2) Delete all internet connection information in case they're sneaky
3) Play English version of Zack and Wiki
4) Break even

Proven

Since the TOS was changed more than likely you have to download the new update before auto-updates start happening. You still haven't agreed to it at all.

That said, now we'll finally get that auto-update while you're away/asleep that people were complaining about not being there for years now.

That's not good. My import playing days may be over before they even start. I really enjoy doing various things with my Wii, and I hate being handicapped from doing so.

If only there was an announcement that Disaster and Capcom vs Tatsunoko were being localized. While I'm dreaming, throw in a Fatal Frame 4 one too. :lol :lol

Linkhero1

ToS - Updates and Upgrades update:

We may without notifying you, download updates, patches, upgrades and similar software to your Wii Console and may disable unauthorized or illegal software placed on your Wii Console to ensure that your Wii Console is operating properly and efficiently, comply with applicable laws, assist law enforcement, protect us and our customers, or prevent the use and distribution of software obtained through improper channels.

No TY Nintendo.

Edit: As long as they don't block me from playing Region Free, I don't mind actually.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
From "that board":

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1136932/wii_34_update.html?cat=19

>Japanese Wii owners received updates this morning
>The new Shop Channel allows players to download demos of Nintendo's virtual games. Players can now try new Wii games before the games are actually released.
>Nintendo also changed the controller usage screen. It is now separate from the purchase screen. The user will have to answer a prompt to confirm that they have the necessary accessories before purchasing the game. This feature may aggravate some gamers, but it is designed to help the younger buyers and their parents when they are trying to select a new game.
>Wii also added more features to the Mii Channel. Players now have more accessories to choose from in order to customize their Miis. The updated accessories include shirts, shoes, and hats. A player can upload his own apparel images from an SD card. Included in the Wii 3.4 update are more hairstyles, types of faces, eyes, and other features.
>Other seemingly less popular updates include the Wii Photo Channel. Players can choose the order in which music tracks are played when viewing a slideshow. Users can also create folders in order to manage their photo gallery.
>The new 3.4 update added a Music Channel that allows the player to listen to music tracks from saved games. Through the Media Channel, players can listen to their MP3s without having to watch the slideshow.
>Wii also added communication enhancements. A player can communicate vocally while playing Wi-Fi Connection Network compatible games. Wii players can now see which of their friends are online through their consoles.

Is this true?

tribal24

Banned
ok so what do i do does the wii automatically update? i brought my wii just to play tatsunoko vs capcom. do i turn wii connect off?

kottila

If Nintendo really wanted to get people to download the update, they should at least give us some new appealing features with it. Put a positive spin on the updates.

wsippel

Banned
kottila said:
If Nintendo really wanted to get people to download the update, they should at least give us some new appealing features with it. Put a positive spin on the updates.
SD card transfer speeds are supposedly much improved. Not all that interesting for most users right now, but an important foundation for the spring update.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
If there aren't any definitive (multiple) confirmations on this within a few hours from now I'll take the plunge and see what happens.

I have the Homebrew Channel installed with has GCBooter and Gekko (and that DVD player software but I don't care about that and neither should you!)

Linkhero1 said:
ToS - Updates and Upgrades update:

No TY Nintendo.

Edit: As long as they don't block me from playing Region Free, I don't mind actually.
However after they blocked Freeloader, that's best through Gecko OS, running through Homebrew Channel, that this will remove.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Milabrega said:
Gotta love Nintendo updates. Instead of Adding functionality they seem to remove some.

Right, because Sony hasn't made ANY attempts whatsoever to remove potential loopholes for piracy from their systems. Nope.

SovanJedi said:
Right, because Sony hasn't made ANY attempts whatsoever to remove potential loopholes for piracy from their systems. Nope.
At least Sony add new things when removing loopholes too.

And surely you understand not being tied to just the Europe region is the best for Nintendo fans :p

NeOak

I'm glad i downgraded mine from 3.3 to 3.2 before they patched all the IOSs.

Now, to install HBC and GeckoOS in a 3.1U since that friend is gonna buy TvC.

JonathanEx said:
At least Sony add new things when removing loopholes too.

coughremovedFireWirecough

I actually used that D:

Top Bottom