• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii update 3.4 is out.

Dunlop

These updates are never anything to look forward to.

They blew my mind when they added the clock last year, there is no way they will ever be able to top that......

Tenbatsu

Is this posted?

System Menu 3.4
As of November 17, 2008, Nintendo is sending notices to the Wii Message Board announcing the availability of Wii Menu 3.4. The announcement lists these changes:
- USB keyboard support in Mii Channel
- Enhanced parental controls
- Twilight Hack version 0.1beta1 cannot be copied to the console.

Two other changes have been noted:
- Improved SD card read/write speed
- Improved disc reading
- Update appears to include IOS50 (used by menu) and IOS254 (a copy of IOS9, to block PatchMii).

What is affected
Affected/Workaround
Twilight Hack 0.1beta1 and below /None (yet)
PatchMii/None (yet, but should be easy)

Not affected
The Homebrew Channel (only if already installed)

http://wiibrew.org/wiki/System_Menu_3.4

Xavien

I can confirm HBC is unaffected, but the fact that they can auto-update at any time without telling me is scary.

Proven

Kulock said:
Microsoft: "Get ready for a new Xbox experience, with a completely rethought interface, tons of new features, and even more to come soon!"
Nintendo: "We're going to scrub your console of every last bit of homebrew. Oh, and the Mii Channel can use keyboards now or something."

Very contrasting approaches. Granted, Microsoft's not had to worry about homebrew in the same way, but they do have to worry about rampant piracy.

You said it. WiiConnect24 goes off. Tatsunoko lives on.

Unless 3.4 is on the damn Tatsunoko disc.

You forget, they already dealt with unauthorized modifications with the Gears 2 banhammers.

Haunted

viewtiful_dru said:
Has any 3rd party Wii game contained a System Update? (just wondering, since I thought only 1st party games did)
Yeah, several. I know that Blast Works has the 3.3 update. There are others.

Considering its release date, it's not unlikely at all that TvC will have 3.4 on the disc.

Might be a dumb thing to ask, but my HBC is still beta 8 and it hasn't prompted me to update: the new GeckoOS is beta 9. Is there any way to manually get it to search for updates?

Already at 3.4, Nintendo is packing on features at an alarming rate. Since my Wii hasn't been turned on in half a year, I'm in for a real treat when I upgrade.

nli10

RagnarokX said:
Nintendo plays by their own rules.

Automatic, mandatory updates as you sleep would be the first thing I'd add into a new gen console to make it piracy resistant. Wouldn't be piracy proof, but it'd keep the freeloaders off the online service.

I'd add a legitimate homebrew service too though, and tools similar to RPG maker to buy and use with the system.

Haunted

Dragona Akehi said:
Might be a dumb thing to ask, but my HBC is still beta 8 and it hasn't prompted me to update: the new GeckoOS is beta 9. Is there any way to manually get it to search for updates?
Do you mean an update for the HBC or an update for the GeckoOS?

Because if it's the latter, you should be able to see and download the newest version in the homebrew browser.

If it's the former, I'd like to know that as well, as I'm still on HBC 0.8 and didn't even know there's a 0.9 out. Although the HBC did update on its own from 0.7 to 0.8 iirc.

I updated, then i ran the homebrew channel and it said there was an updated version of the hbc. so i downloaded that and installed it, then tried to go into the homebrew browser from the hbc, and it said it was not a supported app.

lame.

guy above, that's because your file tpe for HBB are now wrong.... problem with HBC ver9

Zelda OOT transferred to my shitty 1GB card in 38seconds

SDHC 4GB card wouldn't work.

Scrubking

Tenbatsu said:
Is this posted?

System Menu 3.4
As of November 17, 2008, Nintendo is sending notices to the Wii Message Board announcing the availability of Wii Menu 3.4. The announcement lists these changes:
- USB keyboard support in Mii Channel
- Enhanced parental controls
- Twilight Hack version 0.1beta1 cannot be copied to the console.

Two other changes have been noted:
- Improved SD card read/write speed
- Improved disc reading
- Update appears to include IOS50 (used by menu) and IOS254 (a copy of IOS9, to block PatchMii).

What is affected
Affected/Workaround
Twilight Hack 0.1beta1 and below /None (yet)
PatchMii/None (yet, but should be easy)

Not affected
The Homebrew Channel (only if already installed)

http://wiibrew.org/wiki/System_Menu_3.4

I updated last night and my SD transfer times are down by 79%

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Meh, the only time I'll care for SD speed is when the Wii could play game channels in it or read save data. =/

Oh god, I just hope TvC doesn't have 3.4 update!

dannie

JodyAnthony said:
I updated, then i ran the homebrew channel and it said there was an updated version of the hbc. so i downloaded that and installed it, then tried to go into the homebrew browser from the hbc, and it said it was not a supported app.

lame.
HBC beta9 use "boot.dol" file not boot.elf~~that fix the problem

Scrubking

You don't need the new update to improve SD transfer speed. Use the Panasonic formatter instead. If you've ever done a SD format with Windows you'll always see decreased speeds with flash media. http://panasonic.jp/support/global/c...formatter.html

I tried that and tested it multiple times and there was no improvement. Besides even if you do use that and get it to work for you you are not going to see the type of improvement that you do with the firmware update. Why save a couple of seconds when you can save minutes.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Ookami-kun said:
you can bet your ipod shuffle it does.

Proven

JoshuaJSlone said:
By agreeing to new terms of service, you give them that permission.

Also worth reminding that the new terms of service is in the 3.4 update. Your Wii will not automatically update until you download it.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Nuclear Muffin said:
Yeah but it wasn't on our one until just now.

Not true. The tickets redemption/download was added in the stand-alone Wii Shop update that hit a few weeks ago. The one that partially borked some homebrew. I used the homebrew-installer to install that Wii Shop update without the borking shit. I've had that tickets redemption functionality since then.

Hell, I got Animal Crossing last night and used GeckoOS to launch the game without running the mandatory update on the disc, and I was STILL able to redeem my Wii Speak ticket and download the placeholder channel.

Hours before 3.4x even hit the update servers.

Ookami-kun said:
Meh, the only time I'll care for SD speed is when the Wii could play game channels in it or read save data. =/

I'm guessing that these speed increases are part of the buildup for the Spring update that Iwata was talking about.

later

DayShallCome said:
I'm guessing that these speed increases are part of the buildup for the Spring update that Iwata was talking about.

Joy, meanwhile the HB guys have SDHC working at top speeds. Stupidly slow nintendo.

This should be named wii update 0.003a

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
later said:
Joy, meanwhile the HB guys have SDHC working at top speeds. Stupidly slow nintendo.

This should be named wii update 0.003a
Well to be fair the HB guys don't have to pay licensing fees, sign licensing agreements etc. If SDHC was free I'm sure we would already have it.

markatisu

poppabk said:
Well to be fair the HB guys don't have to pay licensing fees, sign licensing agreements etc. If SDHC was free I'm sure we would already have it.

It also does not give Nintendo any financial benefits, you know whenever they announce official SDHC card support we will see new SDHC Wii branded memory cards

Linkhero1

Dragona Akehi said:
Here's how you manually update the Homebrew Channel, from within the HBC.

1) Download the latest HBC from here: DOWNLOAD
2) Create a folder and call it "Update"
3) Move the HBC's boot.dol into that folder
4) Place that folder in the app folder on your SD card
5) Then just run it from the HBC you have now and it should update

Economan

I really wish the Wii didn't have to obnoxiously flash blue every time there is freaking update. It's as if Nintendo thinks I care there's an update when I'm trying to get to bed.

Leonsito

Economan said:
I really wish the Wii didn't have to obnoxiously flash blue every time there is freaking update. It's as if Nintendo thinks I care there's an update when I'm trying to get to bed.

You can desactivate that ...

poppabk

markatisu said:
It also does not give Nintendo any financial benefits, you know whenever they announce official SDHC card support we will see new SDHC Wii branded memory cards
With WiiWare taking off and the VC still going, it might actually benefit Nintendo to increase storage. I'm a casual but I still had to clean out my fridge recently (including removing the excellent (for nintendo) marketing tool that is the nintendo channel) so I could download Alien Crush while still leaving room for GH downloads.

later

Leonsito said:
I had to do the same a year ago, Nintendo normally sends the messages
for the updates at nightime in Europe, I was tired of awake at 4am :lol

You would think they would have the sense to not show the light in the middle of the night (when the wii is on standby)..

Hopefully they will include this feature in wii update 6.8

later

I must say, in some weird way, the way they handle the updates and the wii shop channel for example, has lead to me having just a little less respect for nintendo..

(I'm a programmer) I thought they had crazy ass jedi master programmers there but if you look at what little they do to improve the interface of the wii shop channel, etc.. it's pathetic.

An intern at E.A. could do a better job.

markatisu

poppabk said:
With WiiWare taking off and the VC still going, it might actually benefit Nintendo to increase storage. I'm a casual but I still had to clean out my fridge recently (including removing the excellent (for nintendo) marketing tool that is the nintendo channel) so I could download Alien Crush while still leaving room for GH downloads.

Yeah but it will benefit them more when they release the "big" update that also changes (I assume) how we utilize the sd card.

Remember they are supposed to be changing it so everything is done in the background, so why do it now when they have not rolled out the big update.

That way they can market both WiiWare and the VC alongside the new SDHC cards instead of just doing one or the other

Now watch the big update comes and we still dont have "official" SDHC access :lol

Linkhero1 said:
Here's how you manually update the Homebrew Channel, from within the HBC.

1) Download the latest HBC from here: DOWNLOAD
2) Create a folder and call it "Update"
3) Move the HBC's boot.dol into that folder
4) Place that folder in the app folder on your SD card
5) Then just run it from the HBC you have now and it should update

Thank you, you're a lifesaver!

Now I just have to wait until the Wiibrew gang patch the Wiishop channel so I can go buy stuff and not be forced to update...

Boerseun

Banned
later said:
I must say, in some weird way, the way they handle the updates and the wii shop channel for example, has lead to me having just a little less respect for nintendo..

(I'm a programmer) I thought they had crazy ass jedi master programmers there but if you look at what little they do to improve the interface of the wii shop channel, etc.. it's pathetic.

Sounds like SOMEONE needs an ego check.

Apenheul

later said:

78267-large.jpg

(I'm an expert)

dyls

later said:

I don't think the problem lies with the programmers at all. I'm sure there are tons of great ideas and working prototypes laying on the cutting room floor. They just haven't been released because, I think, unless Nintendo can find an easy way to get an update out to a very large percentage of the base, they simply won't do it. MS and Sony seem to lean towards giving the most hardcore gamers what they want, and allowing others to join in as they please. Nintendo, on the other hand, seems to plan for the most casual, least tech-savvy consumer and then force core gamers to deal with harsh limitations. The problem is, Nintendo's way is both much cheaper and more successful thus far.

I will say that I was expecting far more new channels in the first two years than what we've gotten. They made it sound like they would be coming out regularly, but we haven't gotten shit since the Nintendo Channel (incidentally, the only really useful channel). Animal Crossing not getting its own channel is just ridiculous. Talk about a game made for that kind of thing.

Nintendo is like the anti-Google. The updated iPhone app with voice searching and a bunch of other shit is still only version 0.3.142.951, meanwhile Nintendo's on 3.4 while having added pretty much nothing of any real value.

poppabk

dyls said:
I will say that I was expecting far more new channels in the first two years than what we've gotten. They made it sound like they would be coming out regularly, but we haven't gotten shit since the Nintendo Channel (incidentally, the only really useful channel).
Come to think of it where is the update that fixes the Weather channel so that I can find out what the weather currently is rather than 8 hours ago.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Actually, I'd argue that the integration of keyboard support was a pretty huge addition.
Though, I suppose I'd have to admit that it should have been there to begin with!

Still, that's at least one big perk added in a firmware update.

Somnid

Nintendo uses a very XP mentality of not changing anything unless it's broken and starting with a simple solution. It's actually a really smart way to go about things. However unlike XP they do not have a quick turn around time for updates which causes NeoGaf to bitch about this and that while it gets addressed.

Top Bottom