• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii will cost less than 25,000 yen / $250

I'm starting to wonder though

http://money.cnn.com/2006/05/24/commentary/game_over/column_gaming/index.htm?source=yahoo_quote

Nintendo might have hinted at some of that additional functionality at its press conference. Towards the end of the event, Miyamoto, Nintendo president Satoru Iwata, Reggie File-Aime (Nintendo's public face in North America) and a contest winner demonstrated a Wii game on stage.

The game was Wii Tennis - but instead of using generic character models, the onscreen faces in this match were caricatures of Miyamoto, Iwata and Fils-Aime (the contest winner did not have a personalized character). At the time, it seemed like a visual in-joke for conference attendees, but Miyamoto said the Wii might be able to create those personalized visages for players and their family members.

He declined to go into specifics, but added "we have some different ideas about how to take advantage of that functionality – and we will be sharing that type of functionality with third parties."

Miyamoto seems to be hinting at something more there (why would third parties have to know about additional functionality?).

Maybe you'll be able to import images from an SD Card though.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
soundwave05 said:
I'm starting to wonder though

http://money.cnn.com/2006/05/24/commentary/game_over/column_gaming/index.htm?source=yahoo_quote

Nintendo might have hinted at some of that additional functionality at its press conference. Towards the end of the event, Miyamoto, Nintendo president Satoru Iwata, Reggie File-Aime (Nintendo's public face in North America) and a contest winner demonstrated a Wii game on stage.

The game was Wii Tennis - but instead of using generic character models, the onscreen faces in this match were caricatures of Miyamoto, Iwata and Fils-Aime (the contest winner did not have a personalized character). At the time, it seemed like a visual in-joke for conference attendees, but Miyamoto said the Wii might be able to create those personalized visages for players and their family members.

He declined to go into specifics, but added "we have some different ideas about how to take advantage of that functionality – and we will be sharing that type of functionality with third parties."

Miyamoto seems to be hinting at something more there (why would third parties have to know about additional functionality?).

Maybe you'll be able to import images from an SD Card though.

Nintendo has wanted personalization in games since the face modeling idea in Perfect Dark. I hope it actually happens this time.

Azazela

Banned
Say whatever you want but 200+ is way too much for a Wii, cause it's nearly as expensive as the 360 tard pack.

Gamecube cost $200 back in 2001, and now this selling for 200+ is ridiculous. All the features such as Wi-Fi, and 512 flash memory is nice. But a penny over $200 and you might as well cough up the money for a 360.

Hell if it cost $250, I would rather go out and buy 2 premium PS3s.

jarosh

Azazela said:
Say whatever you want but 200+ is way too much for a Wii, cause it's nearly as expensive as the 360 tard pack.

Gamecube cost $200 back in 2001, and now this selling for 200+ is ridiculous. All the features such as Wi-Fi, and 512 flash memory is nice. But a penny over $200 and you might as well cough up the money for a 360.

this post doesn't make sense

Azazela said:

How about shut up.

Azazela

Banned
citrus lump said:
WHAT.

Hey, the Wii is $250-that makes me so mad I'm gonna go spend $1200 on two PS3s.

Wii is the worst value you can get out of a console, only thing is that it's "relatively cheap" compared to PS3 and 360.

But it's a freaking current gen system with a different pheripheral. Might as well cough up for a 360 if you don't own any of the "next-gen" systems. And for all the talk of Wii being a "low ress 360/PS3" pre-E3 has died down. Hell it can't even surpass XBox games from what we've seen.

Plus the lastest poll were the majority of GAF going single console this gen... with a Wii, ridiculous.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Azazela said:
Wii is the worst value you can get out of a console, only thing is that it's "relatively cheap" compared to PS3 and 360.

But it's a freaking current gen system with a different pheripheral. Might as well cough up for a 360 if you don't own any of the "next-gen" systems. And for all the talk of Wii being a "low ress 360/PS3" pre-E3 has died down. Hell it can't even surpass XBox games from what we've seen.

Plus the lastest poll were the majority of GAF going single console this gen... with a Wii, ridiculous.
Don't unfunny trolls get banned at some point?

F#A#Oo

Banned
Azazela said:

Hmm...who are you to be saying what is ridiculous?...Shouldn't you be playing WoW? hop to it son...

Azazela

Banned
Magicpaint said:
How about shut up.

How about no.

And if your comeback is "Don't buy one then", then you are right. I'm not buying a Wii till it becomes a good deal for the money you pay.

And if my post annoys you so much, don't respond. It's not like what I say will change your opinion about the console. Am I rite?

Azazela said:

Hungry for worms ?

Azazela said:

Whatever.

This still doesn't explain your "I'd rather buy two premium PS3s" remark. Buying two of something (and spending 6x the amount of a Wii) just to prove you dislike the pricing of a similar product is silly.

"I don't like the price on this Ford focus, I'm gonna go buy 2 BMWs instead."

Azazela said:
How about no.

And if your comeback is "Don't buy one then", then you are right. I'm not buying a Wii till it becomes a good deal for the money you pay.

And if my post annoys you so much, don't respond. It's not like what I say will change your opinion about the console. Am I rite?

I was telling to you shut up for you own good. You're not making sense and you're pretty much trolling.

Azazela

Banned
Matlock said:
:lol

I'd like to know your opnion on the DS.

I
heart.gif
the DS

Actually I don't, I think it's horrible. But I don't want to go into that and get crucified by GAF
domodance.gif

Taker666

Worth mentioning that 25,000 yen was the launch price of the Gamecube in Japan.

So the Wii should be $199 in the US if they follow the same pricing structure as the Gamecube.

Matlock

Banned
Azazela said:
I
heart.gif
the DS

Actually I don't, I think it's horrible. But I don't want to go into that and get crucified by GAF
domodance.gif

but for $130 you could buy a real console in the ps2! seriously, at that price you might as well buy two psps

Azazela said:
I
heart.gif
the DS

domodance.gif

The short bus is here to take you to school little boy. Don't hit your ass on the way out.

Azazela

Banned
Matlock said:
but for $130 you could buy a real console in the ps2! seriously, at that price you might as well buy two psps

It's 150 euros is Europe, and I don't think handhelds are worth the money.
AmazedDizzy.gif

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Azazela said:

Nintendo would likely make a nice profit on it though, there's value in that.

Azazela said:

Going by your logic, why buy a 360(the real version that is at $400)? It's nearly as expensive as a PS3 tard pack? Why buy a PS3? It's nearly as expensive as a real pledged Blu-ray player. Why buy any gaming console? Let's just cough down the $700 to $800 and get a Blu-ray player. After all, it's not as nearly expensive as anything else in gaming :lol

But back to reality....Why in the hell would somebody buy 2 premium PS3s? A real gaming hardcore player would get all 3 consoles and several games to go with each for that price. I know what you're here for tho. You're here to convince everyone to get out of buying gaming consoles. And buying a Blu-ray player since it's not nearly as expensive :lol

It's all good:D

Azazela

Banned
Gahiggidy said:
Nintendo would likely make a nice profit on it though, there's value in that.

I disagree, but then again you've been arguing about Nintendo's profit for years now haven't you?

Seriously I stated my opinion and it's causing a shitstorm
upsidedown.gif

I would rather buy 5000 premium Playstation 3's than a Nintendo Wii and a Nintendo DS.

The maths:

Playstation 3 empires in my house: $3,210,000 w/ tax

BUT! I must divides that by the number of Polygons that Sony doesn't lie abouts that Pesetres can output: 4,000,000,000*5000.

Costs of my Playstation3s empire per poly: .000001605 dollars per poly

Cost of Nintendo Wii and Nintendo DS: $330-$380

But! I must multiplies that by the number of non-games I am forced to play: Wii360.

Cost of my Nintendo dictatorships per non-game: $118,800 per non-game

.000001605 dollars per poly VS $118,800 per non-game

bushhome.jpg

I think the choice is clear...

Azazela

Banned
Error2k4 said:
Azazela is crazy, clearly WoW has gotten the best of him.

Well for me money is not the problem. I don't want to get a PS3 at this time not because I can't afford it, but becuase I think it's a ridicuolous price for a game machine.

Noting what you get with the Wii I don't think it's good value for the money... People can disagree or agree. But saying I'm somehow "wrong" just doesn't cut it, because Nintendo from the looks of it is the only company that is not losing money on their console. If that doesn't lower the amount of "value" you get from a console for YOU, then fine.

Sure you can argue the Wii is all about new experiences. Then again I DON'T agree, with that. I believe Zelda and MP3 would benefit more from the 360/PS3 hardware upgrade than they ever could from the Wiimote.

And people are defending nintendo's decision, because it's finicially viable for THEM. Nintendo simply cannot go head to head against MS and Sony, and if this works for you fine. It doesn't work for me, and calling my opinion "wrong" because as of lately GAF is one Wii circle jerkfest. And people with Donkeykong and Zelda avatars, don't really account for "unbaised" opinions, and I don't see how my opinion is worse than theirs.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Azazela said:
It's 150 euros is Europe, and I don't think handhelds are worth the money.

You'll be able to pick up a NDS on Ebay for nothing when the Lite hits.

And if you dont think Mario Kart online is worth £60 (along with the rest of the DS catalogue) then you should probably find a cheaper hobby.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
$149 doesn't really market htat muhc better than $199 anyways.

BTW, didn't the original Xbox retail for 2400 YEN in JPN?

Adagio

Azazela said:
And people are defending nintendo's decision, because it's finicially viable for THEM. Nintendo simply cannot go head to head against MS and Sony[.]
Did you ever consider that maybe they just don't want to?

Azazela

Banned
xhadoukenx said:
You'll be able to pick up a NDS on Ebay for nothing when the Lite hits.

And if you dont think Mario Kart online is worth £60 (along with the rest of the DS catalogue) then you should probably find a cheaper hobby.

I'm going to prioritize my PC, PS3/360 this gen. Call me jaded, graphics whore or what not, but I don't feel like paying money for a portable N64, I just don't like handheld in general.

And we are discussing the Wii at this point.

Crisis

Banned
Matlock said:

I heard that if you have a girlfriend, you could get a PSP for free.

I think the best thing to do with the Wii is this:

$250 and get:
System
2 wiimotes
1 nunchuck
Wii Sports

This would bolster their claim that everyone should play together, and give people a great introduction to the controller in Wii Sports.

I mean really, how much can they expect to sell Wii Sports on the open market? This seems like a win-win for NIntendo and consumer.

Azazela

Banned
Adagio said:
Did you ever consider that maybe they just don't want to?

Did people consider that some people don't like that approach, and aren't really hyped over a GCN with an alternative control scheme. I mean if your not sold on the Wiimote, then your intrest in the Wii is not big.

I like Zelda and Metriod. I'm no Nintendo fan, but I would rather see this on next-gen hardware.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Well for me money is not the problem. I don't want to get a PS3 at this time not because I can't afford it, but becuase I think it's a ridicuolous price for a game machine.
ughhh you said you rather get two PS3 than one Wii.

Noting what you get with the Wii I don't think it's good value for the money... People can disagree or agree. But saying I'm somehow "wrong" just doesn't cut it, because Nintendo from the looks of it is the only company that is not losing money on their console. If that doesn't lower the amount of "value" you get from a console for YOU, then fine.

Sure you can argue the Wii is all about new experiences. Then again I DON'T agree, with that. I believe Zelda and MP3 would benefit more from the 360/PS3 hardware upgrade than they ever could from the Wiimote.
this subjective, in my personal opinion I believe game benefit greatly if they control well. graphics may wow you at first, but after that the game relies just on gameplay alone.

Mario64 has godawful graphics now, but the game is still a bliss to play same as OOT. I've never been a graphic whore some of my favorites games doesn't have great graphics I play games to have fun not to start noticing how many polys a wall or model is made of I dont give a shit about that.

then again I still play with my NES and Genesis just fine without any problems.

btw good graphics is always good and I agree with that, but I don't let graphics cloud my judgement as to whether I buy a game or not.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Azazela said:
I'm going to prioritize my PC, PS3/360 this gen. Call me jaded, graphics whore or what not, but I don't feel like paying money for a portable N64, I just don't like handheld in general.

And we are discussing the Wii at this point.

PC and Nintendo go together better than any other combination, they are pretty much the polar opposites of gaming, something even more significant with the Wii.

Usually theres graphically a grace period for consoles, where they eclipse anything comtempory on the PC, with games like Crysis and FEAR im not seeing that happening this gen round.

That said, my PC right now is losing out to my DS.

Top Bottom