• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii will cost less than 25,000 yen / $250

shuri

Banned
I won't even consider a wii unless it comes with two controllers or at least a game. 200$+ for a bare console would be a giant FU.

Jokeropia

Azazela said:
How very creative, it's more like damage control than actual proccess of debating.
Damage control requires that something (usually the credibility of a company) has been damaged. This is not the case. If you want to discuss seriously, answer Trurl's question:
Trurl said:
How can a guy that spends 70-80 hours a week playing WoW be so caught up on graphics.

Amir0x

Banned
Pellham said:
This isn't true of the ultra rare titles that appear on ebay once every year. Virtual Console will eliminate the need for us bona fide collectors to waste time and money looking for titles. Of course there is free emulation, but that just doesn't feel the same as a licensed download.

iTunes for retro video games FTW!

I guess, if you think most of the rare games will be Nintendo's priority for virtual console :p

Anyway I'll definitely get a Wii at $249, although it'd be disappointing without two controllers.

Ristamar

:Motorbass said:
I think they'll sell the Classic Controller seperately...

I think Nintendo already mentioned they won't bundle the classic controller with the system since not everyone will make use of the virtual console.

Sometimes I wonder if anyone on this board is serious: $250 for a Wii is SO OVERPRICED, but 360 is JUUUUUST RIGHT! If you subscribe to this, either you're a Drinky Jr. wannabe troll or you live in a fantasy world (like WOW, for example) or you're just an ass.

A) The value of the Wii's chipset is speculation at this point.

B) The value of Wii's chipset is irrelevent when differentiating the Wii from the GC or XBox

C) Wii's visuals are clearly more capable than XBox, anyway

D) Wii being sold at a profit is a "rip-off" only in the context of MS and Sony selling at a loss, and even then it's quite a stretch.

E) Chipset isn't the only aspect of a console that offers value.

F) Wii will offer distinct advantages (standard, built-in storage, WiFI, more flexible controller, etc.) over it's closest competitor in terms of price, the 360 core pack.

G) All of the above points are moot because, in the real world, $200 is less than $400 is less than $600, and real people judge value according to how much it costs them and what experience they get in return. If Wii is just as much fun at a cheaper price in a smaller, more aesthetically pleasing package, it's a better value regardless of what kind of tech is packed inside.

Amir0x said:
I guess, if you think most of the rare games will be Nintendo's priority for virtual console :p

Honestly, I don't see why not: it's like printing free money. 3rd parties, are of course, another question.

Amir0x

Banned
Dragona Akehi said:
Honestly, I don't see why not: it's like printing free money. 3rd parties, are of course, another question.

I'm guessing 'cause 'printing money' is relative to how many people actually actively seek rare games... especially if they're just gonna cost the same as any other game. I expect all of Nintendo's made games to be there, but the vast majority of those aren't exactly rare.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Matlock said:
trolling is one thing, but trolling and gloating about it on another forum is lame

http://www.systemwars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28357
oh Azazela...

frustration_00.jpg

though i should say i look forward to further entertainment value at your expense.

Nutter

anotherworld said:
250 is still expensive for a shitty console...i want my refund...NO HD, NO 5.1
So you want a refund of something you havent bought yet or ever will? Brilliant.

Oh and Azazela getting owned on 2 forums for the price of one post. PRICELESS!

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
anotherworld said:
250 is still expensive for a shitty console...i want my refund...NO HD, NO 5.1
you can pack up and go home if you like. we've already gone through this. your services are not required here.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
ghostlyjoe said:
Sometimes I wonder if anyone on this board is serious: $250 for a Wii is SO OVERPRICED, but 360 is JUUUUUST RIGHT! If you subscribe to this, either you're a Drinky Jr. wannabe troll or you live in a fantasy world (like WOW, for example) or you're just an ass.

A) The value of the Wii's chipset is speculation at this point.

B) The value of Wii's chipset is irrelevent when differentiating the Wii from the GC or XBox

C) Wii's visuals are clearly more capable than XBox, anyway

D) Wii being sold at a profit is a "rip-off" only in the context of MS and Sony selling at a loss, and even then it's quite a stretch.

E) Chipset isn't the only aspect of a console that offers value.

F) Wii will offer distinct advantages (standard, built-in storage, WiFI, more flexible controller, etc.) over it's closest competitor in terms of price, the 360 core pack.

G) All of the above points are moot because, in the real world, $200 is less than $400 is less than $600, and real people judge value according to how much it costs them and what experience they get in return. If Wii is just as much fun at a cheaper price in a smaller, more aesthetically pleasing package, it's a better value regardless of what kind of tech is packed inside.

If you honestly, truly can't see the difference in value between a $299 Xbox 360 and a $249 Wii, then Nintendo is probably not concerned about pricing out of your "will buy" range anyway.

I don't think it's a rip-off and I'm gonna buy one too, but considering Nintendo will probably be in the black and Microsoft is giving you a really nice piece of technology with which they take a substantial loss...come on. Nintendo could do better.

Unless the Wii mote is really expensive to produce. That remains to be seen.

Don't you guys know?

All the hip game companies overprice their products nowadays!

Losers.

You just don't get it.

Nobody wants to online game with a bunch of tards who don't wanna pay out the nose for their hobby.

See ya on the flip side, ya jive turkeys!

Y2Kevbug11 said:
If you honestly, truly can't see the difference in value between a $299 Xbox 360 and a $249 Wii, then Nintendo is probably not concerned about pricing out of your "will buy" range anyway.

You're starting from the assumption that the 360 is "oh so much better" than the Wii for only $50 more (and that's cheaper than it costs to manufacture!!!) It seems like a "no duh" situation to you.

But for many, the Wii has a value independent of visual horespower. If it's more fun -- or just as fun for less -- then it wins. That's where I'm coming from.

Edit: You've updated your post. I find your argument somewhat naive: MS is selling at a loss, why can't Nintendo? I shouldn't really have to explain why, as even a rudimentary examination of the companies involved and their individual market strategies yields an obvious answer.

SuperPac

Hassle-free backward compatibility with GameCube (including memory cards -- something neither PS3 nor 360 have with their predecessors), built-in Wifi, less-expensive games, virtual console, Zelda at launch, new Mario soon after, standard removable memory options...this would be worth a $250 price to me, especially if it came with two Wiimotes and a game (Wii Sports/Wii Duck Hunt). If not, $199 would be more in line, but $250 isn't *terrible*.

BuddyC

Azazela said:
Say whatever you want but 200+ is way too much for a Wii, cause it's nearly as expensive as the 360 tard pack.

Gamecube cost $200 back in 2001, and now this selling for 200+ is ridiculous. All the features such as Wi-Fi, and 512 flash memory is nice. But a penny over $200 and you might as well cough up the money for a 360.

Hell if it cost $250, I would rather go out and buy 2 premium PS3s.
Matlock said:
trolling is one thing, but trolling and gloating about it on another forum is lame

http://www.systemwars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28357
Proof that Azazela's trolling was both intentional and less-than-honorable in nature?

...and banned.

Quartet

149$ + Super Mario Galaly+ all other new game at 29$. It's not worth risking an under permorming console on the market if it's not to taget a larger audiance. That said i think a second wiimote will cost close to 50$.

Not to mention that all those game could be sell again in a handheld based on the same hardware not too far in future.

Product placement, advertisement and old game renting make the possibilily of money from a big installed base of console is better than a high price. nintendo know what it is now to not being in the red but also not making monney from a console, not making money but having renting renenue is better. And if they don't sell it cheap they will not make money at all.

When asked about the life time of the GC at launch everybody dismissed their answer of 10 years, it's now a lot clearer. Of course the CPU and GPU are a tad better now, but the console itself probably cost even less to build than the original GC.

Taker666

Mark Gonzales said:
Umm. What would justify it being more than $250 better yet even $200

Well a PS2 is $150 with a memory card.

Microsoft have confirmed that wi-fi costs $100

so $150 for Ps2 with memory card + $100 for wifi = $250

There's your justification . :D

Count Chocula said:
Am I missing something or is Wii just a shrunken Gamecube with a gyro controller?
GameCube 1.5 + RAM, weird wireless controller, wifi, flash storage, etc.

I wouldn't pay more than $149 for it.
So if it launches at $200, wait 6 months for it to reach that price. Like N64 and GameCube.

Terrell said:
6 million by March... for reference point, that's approximately one-third of GameCube's LTD sales being shipped for Wii in approximately 4-5 months. Very bullish of them, wouldn't you say?
Only slightly. It's been pointed out that by GameCube's first March they'd shipped 3.8 million, and that launch was only Japan and North America.

AniHawk said:
$130 for a N64 handheld and $150 for Gamecube Turbo? At least give 'em a little space.
In 2003 you could get an SNES handheld and GameCube Non-Turbo for the same $99.

Adagio said:
I still don't understand why one would refer to the Wii as a GCN Turbo/1.5/etc....

Is the system not more powerful than an Xbox?
Yes, but its key internal components literally seem to be GameCube's chips going 50% faster with more RAM. It's the best comparison.

Azazela said:
But saying I'm somehow "wrong" just doesn't cut it, because Nintendo from the looks of it is the only company that is not losing money on their console. If that doesn't lower the amount of "value" you get from a console for YOU, then fine.
That's the kind of thinking that made the $200 GCN seem like a ripoff compared to a $300 PS2.

Burnst said:
When did the Gamecube reach 6 million in sales?
At the end of March 2002 they'd reported 3.8 million shipped worldwide. By the end of September 2002 it was 6.68 million.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
ghostlyjoe said:
You're starting from the assumption that the 360 is "oh so much better" than the Wii for only $50 more (and that's cheaper than it costs to manufacture!!!) It seems like a "no duh" situation to you.

But for many, the Wii has a value independent of visual horespower. If it's more fun -- or just as fun for less -- then it wins. That's where I'm coming from.

Edit: You've updated your post. I find your argument somewhat naive: MS is selling at a loss, why can't Nintendo? I shouldn't really have to explain why, as even a rudimentary examination of the companies involved and their individual market strategies yields an obvious answer.

Why are you even discussing corporate strategies? Do you work for the corporation? I want what I find to be valuable as a consumer. I don't really care what Nintendo's financial strategy is and neither should you.

And technologically, the 360 is miles beyond the Wii and I cannot believe you are even posing that as some topic of debate. I have no idea what the Wii costs to manufacture, but being that Nintendo is not selling it at a loss (and they never really have sold their hardware for losses), I'm gonna guess it costs less than $200. You said that, not me.

Yes, wii has value independent of its graphical horsepower, but that value is derived from things other than the technical components inside the console that actually contribute to the price of the console. Maybe the Wii is the most fun, most awesome console ever-- those things shouldn't factor into the price. The value of the console with the components indicated (are you not reading the Wii Dolby thread a few threads down) in the machine is where I find my problem. I'm going to wager a bet that the components inside the controller actually cost less than the 360's processor (R&D costs considered for both), but you're going to retort that I'm only assuming a perceived value. Well, thanks for that.

The Wii will have plenty of value for most of you and that's fine. I don't see how you can justify that price against a 360, though-- if you compare what you are getting. The Wii would be more of a value at $200 than $249, especially if it is a bare bones console.

f@luS

More than a member.
If wii is 250$ its too much

I mean , in my head , i can more pay 500$ for ps3 , than 250$ for wii , ps3 looks much more twice the price , from a technologie standpoint

Quartet said:
Not to mention that all those game could be sell again in a handheld based on the same hardware not too far in future.
Graphically, maybe, but past GBA and GCN they've really split off handhelds and home consoles in a different way. The wiimote can't totally replicate a stylus, and replicating the wiimote + nunchuk capabilities on a handheld would also be difficult. The closest a handheld can come would be like a PS3 controller with a screen on it. Any movement of the controller will also move the screen, making things like racket swings or aiming a cursor very very different.

Mrbob

Quartet said:
149$ + Super Mario Galaly+ all other new game at 29$. It's not worth risking an under permorming console on the market if it's not to taget a larger audiance. That said i think a second wiimote will cost close to 50$.

This isn't going to happen though. Nintendo has already gone on record that their Rev games won't be more than 50 dollars. Iwata has said the hardware shouldn't be that much more expensive than their previous hardware (Which points at a $199.99 or $249.99 pricepoint). 3rd parties may even charge $59.99, which would be a mistake. o_O

I personally think $199.99, much less $249.99, is pushing the limits of what Nintendo is offering in what could be perceived as a 5 year old repackaged system with a new controller. I don't own a GC, so this helps cushion the blow, and makes the pricepoint more acceptable. I want Super Paper Mario and Twilight Princess anyway. Why waste 100 bucks on a GC when for about 100-150 more I can get a system that can play all GC games besides Rev games.

Y2Kevbug11 said:
Why are you even discussing corporate strategies? Do you work for the corporation? I want what I find to be valuable as a consumer. I don't really care what Nintendo's financial strategy is and neither should you.

And technologically, the 360 is miles beyond the Wii and I cannot believe you are even posing that as some topic of debate. I have no idea what the Wii costs to manufacture, but being that Nintendo is not selling it at a loss (and they never really have sold their hardware for losses), I'm gonna guess it costs less than $200. You said that, not me.

Yes, wii has value independent of its graphical horsepower, but that value is derived from things other than the technical components inside the console that actually contribute to the price of the console. Maybe the Wii is the most fun, most awesome console ever-- those things shouldn't factor into the price. The value of the console with the components indicated (are you not reading the Wii Dolby thread a few threads down) in the machine is where I find my problem. I'm going to wager a bet that the components inside the controller actually cost less than the 360's processor (R&D costs considered for both), but you're going to retort that I'm only assuming a perceived value. Well, thanks for that.

The Wii will have plenty of value for most of you and that's fine. I don't see how you can justify that price against a 360, though-- if you compare what you are getting. The Wii would be more of a value at $200 than $249, especially if it is a bare bones console.

Bold 1: You tied the console's value to how much loss the company takes on its manufacture. Like you point out above, from a consumer standpoint, it's meaningless. $250 is less than $300, thus the Wii is cheaper, meaning the differentiator here is entertainment value. Thus, if Wii is more fun, it's a better value. Corporate strategy is irrelevent. But since you felt compelled to use MS loss-leading as an argument for the console's value, I felt compelled to point out that MS isn't altruistic but is just looking for profit through a different strategy than it's smaller, more focused competitor.

Bold 2: I bought an ice cream cone this afternoon. It cost the vendor less than 25 cents to make. I paid $1.50 for it. I enjoyed it immensely. DId I get ripped off? Should the ice cream vendor have mortgaged his home to offer me the same cone for $0.50 less? Should this vendor just fold up when Dairy Queen moves into town, even if this store offers great-tasting ice cream for less and is more profitable but has fewer topping options? Is this getting convoluted? Are you seeing my point?

Mrbob said:
This isn't going to happen though. Nintendo has already gone on record that their Rev games won't be more than 50 dollars. Iwata has said the hardware shouldn't be that much more expensive than their previous hardware (Which points at a $199.99 or $249.99 pricepoint). 3rd parties may even charge $59.99, which would be a mistake. o_O

I personally think $199.99, much less $249.99, is pushing the limits of what Nintendo is offering in what could be perceived as a 5 year old repackaged system with a new controller. I don't own a GC, so this helps cushion the blow, and makes the pricepoint more acceptable. I want Super Paper Mario and Twilight Princess anyway. Why waste 100 bucks on a GC when for about 100-150 more I can get a system that can play all GC games besides Rev games.

Alright ... I bought an ice cream cone this afternoon ... nevermind. You guys are never going to understand. Are benchmarks all you see when you look at a console? Why do even play games?

frogg609

i'd buy it at 250 or 200. Either way the games look (and i think a lot of people forget about this part) fun. i don't care how pretty it is. i can live without 5.1 i want fun games, games that will make me think. games that will give me new experiences.

i could care less how many polys and triangles the PS3 grpahics card can crunch. The price point is to high for shit most people could care less about, and the games for the most part have left me wanting.

i'll be with Nintendo on day 1. Something, in over 15 years of gaming, i have never done.

Mrbob

This thread is jumping the gun in a couple issues:

1) We don't know the real Revolution pricepoint yet, or what that package includes

2) We don't know what the 360 will cost in November

The two sku strategy basically allows MS to attack two fronts at once if they choose to do so. The core pack can go for the cheap ass gamers who don't care about the extras of the premium pack (Nintendo's market), and if they price it competitively it could work out great. Then the premium package would be going after Sony's market, add in a HD DVD add on which costs less than the $499.99 PS3 package and MS may have just outsmarted both Nintendo and Sony in this upcoming race.

Alright ... I bought an ice cream cone this afternoon ... nevermind. You guys are never going to understand. Are benchmarks all you see when you look at a console? Why do even play games?

Err, didn't I say I would be getting one for Super Paper Mario and Twilight Princess. And I don't buy ice cream cones. I get Blizzard's.

Top Bottom