• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii will cost less than 25,000 yen / $250

_leech_ said:
Anything above $150 is a ripoff unless they include 2 or more controllers. And a game.
Count Chocula said:
Am I missing something or is Wii just a shrunken Gamecube with a gyro controller?
I wouldn't pay more than $149 for it.

Azazela said:
Say whatever you want but 200+ is way too much for a Wii, cause it's nearly as expensive as the 360 tard pack.

Gamecube cost $200 back in 2001, and now this selling for 200+ is ridiculous. All the features such as Wi-Fi, and 512 flash memory is nice. But a penny over $200 and you might as well cough up the money for a 360.

Hell if it cost $250, I would rather go out and buy 2 premium PS3s.
lol at the emocrabs in this thread

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
xhadoukenx said:
Usually theres graphically a grace period for consoles, where they eclipse anything comtempory on the PC, with games like Crysis and FEAR im not seeing that happening this gen round.
heh, funny that isn't it?

industry will need to be careful of bumping their head on that invisible ceiling :)

Azazela

Banned
Error2k4 said:
ughhh you said you rather get two PS3 than one Wii.

I was obviously exaggerating, but my point on value still stands. And I truly believe that capable hardware is the natural progression. If Nintendo made a budget next-gen system that was 1/2 power of the 360 or something, and used the Wiimote then no problem. But a GCN + Wiimote doesn't appeal to ME.

Error2k4 said:
this subjective, in my personal opinion I believe game benefit greatly if they control well. graphics may wow you at first, but after that the game relies just on gameplay alone.

Mario64 has godawful graphics now, but the game is still a bliss to play same as OOT. I've never been a graphic whore some of my favorites games doesn't have great graphics I play games to have fun not to start noticing how many polys a wall or model is made of I dont give a shit about that.

I once again disagree. After Lost Planet I thought "WOW this is how some bugs/bosses should look like in MP3"

Plus with games like Shadow of Collosus and Halo 2 developers hit a brick wall in advancing gameplay because of hardware limitations. Halo 2's major develoment fuck up, was that it was developed around 128 meg systems.

Gears Of War would never be the game it is on the 360, no matter how many "gimmicks" you add to it on the Wii. So I believe that hardware gives developers more possibilities in terms of scale of a level, AI, physics, immersion, and what not.

As long as we have a LOADING screen, we have some sort of hardware limitation. That is my perspective on things.

F#A#Oo

Banned
Azazela said:
I like Zelda and Metriod. I'm no Nintendo fan, but I would rather see this on next-gen hardware.

I see now...

So you think by not buying Nintendo products you are helping to bring the whole...Nintendo DOOMED scenario...

AMIRITE...:D

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Azazela said:
If Nintendo made a budget next-gen system that was 1/2 power of the 360 or something, and used the Wiimote then no problem. But a GCN + Wiimote doesn't appeal to ME.
:lol

this guy is GOLD

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
obviously my point of view is different from yours so I'm going to bother anymore.

Azazela

Banned
Scrow said:

this guy is GOLD

Orly?

Because natural hardware progression with each new console generation is everything that's wrong with this industry.
indifflaugh.gif

Scrow said:

this guy is GOLD

I'm pretty sure that Azazela is a Sony marketing person out to change opinion away from a $250 price point because that's where Sony thinks the price will fall. :p What he/she/beast says makes absolutely no sense but keeps trying to hammer back to $50 differences in Wii prices.

Azazela

Banned
TheKingsCrown said:
I'm pretty sure that Azazela is a Sony marketing person out to change opinion away from a $250 price point because that's where Sony thinks the price will fall. :p What he/she/beast says makes absolutely no sense but keeps trying to hammer back to $50 differences in Wii prices.

It's the reason why I can play 70+ hours of WOW per week. Sony pays my bills :lol

Adagio

Why do people fail to realize that the Wii is more powerful than the Xbox...

It's not a GCN+.

It's a Nintendo Xbox+.

Azazela

Banned
Adagio said:
Why do people fail to realize that the Wii is more powerful than the Xbox...

It's not a GCN+.

It's a Nintendo Xbox+.

Because Wii has yet to show us a game that can match Splinter Cell or Riddick on the XBox.

Plus it's kinda laughable to argue if Wii is stronger or weaker than the XBox. It's still terribly underpowered, and essentially is a last gen system.

Azazela said:
Say whatever you want but 200+ is way too much for a Wii, cause it's nearly as expensive as the 360 tard pack.

Gamecube cost $200 back in 2001, and now this selling for 200+ is ridiculous. All the features such as Wi-Fi, and 512 flash memory is nice. But a penny over $200 and you might as well cough up the money for a 360.

retardkeyboard9if.gif

Azazela said:
Because Wii has yet to show us a game that can match Splinter Cell or Riddick on the XBox.

Plus it's kinda laughable to argue if Wii is stronger or weaker than the XBox. It's still terribly underpowered, and essentially is a last gen system.

The GC had games that could match Riddick and Splinter Cell. pfffft.

dasein

Azazela said:

First off, who's Hell?

Second, think about it for a second: why would you buy 2 of the same consoles?

Pellham

Banned
Amir0x said:
and also you won't have to rebuy any games you already own
and also every single game on those systems will be available for you to aquire on day one, as opposed to that never ever going to be the case for "Virtual Console" due to various issues such as licensing.

This isn't true of the ultra rare titles that appear on ebay once every year. Virtual Console will eliminate the need for us bona fide collectors to waste time and money looking for titles. Of course there is free emulation, but that just doesn't feel the same as a licensed download.

iTunes for retro video games FTW!

madara

Yeah it really needs be no more then 199.99. I'm sure big N is aware of this if they truely are aim at new folks as well. The software is not as far along as alot thought and 3rd parties offers don't seem to be strong out the gate. They need to move as many units as fast as possible for many reasons.

Y'know what, better tech doesn't necassarily equal better games. Just as with the Revolution controller: even though it's probably the best control device designed for FPSs ever in potential -- you might not see one that eclipses a solid PC one, like Half-Life 2 or Call of Duty 2 for example. It's all in the software, and if you don't feel comfortable with paying around $200 - $250 -- because, yeah, that WILL be the price -- for a system that plays Nintendo software, then you probably never will. I mean, basically, it comes down to the software, and that's what will decide it to be honest. And frankly, I think it's too early to comment on the quality of each systems respective lineups (apart from the 360) at this stage, as E3 demos aren't completely indicative of what you'll be seeing down the line... Halo 2, Resident Evil 4 and many other games have received massive overhauls after a showing at E3, and let's not forget how Miyamoto upends the tea table...

ronito

I'm definetly not in the "OMG itz not 150 LOLZ!!" but I do think that $250 for just the system is more than I'm willing to pay day one for the tech. If I have extra money laying about then sure, but otherwise I was holding out for 199.99.

atomsk

Party Pooper
a causal friend of mine, who i hear from every few weeks, is insistent he has an "in" at nintendo, and that the Wii will be 150.

of coarse i laugh at him. but he claims he knew about the Wii name and Snake in Smash Bros before they were announced. perhaps he was dropped on his head too much as a child, but if it ends up being true, then maybe he's not making things up.

Axord

Azazela said:
As long as we have a LOADING screen, we have some sort of hardware limitation. That is my perspective on things.
Wait, so you're saying Nintendo should go back to using cartridges?

P90

ronito said:
but I do think that $250 for just the system is more than I'm willing to pay day one for the tech.

That is a valid point considering graphics power, but the tech is in the controller. But if Iwata wants to make it so everyone can afford it then under $200 is a must. Perhaps Nintendo will be willing to take a loss on hardware off the bat this time to potentially increase marketshare.

P90

Azazela said:

Does drohne now use capitals?

Axord said:
Wait, so you're saying Nintendo should go back to using cartridges?
The vast, huge majority of Nintendo 1st party games have already done away with loading screens, even expansive adventure games like Prime and Wind Waker. It's one area in which Nintendo is technologically miles ahead of Sony or MS.

Jokeropia

Why are people still equaling Wii with GC + Wiimote? I'd thought no one could be that ignorant anymore.

Anyway, I'd pay $500 for the Wii, because that's how much I want it. I don't care how much it costs to produce, the only thing that matters is how much it appeals to me. That said, I'd be disappointed if it cost more than $250.

Trurl

Banned
Azazela said:

How can a guy that spends 70-80 hours a week playing WoW be so caught up on graphics.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Battersea Power Station said:
The vast, huge majority of Nintendo 1st party games have already done away with loading screens, even expansive adventure games like Prime and Wind Waker. It's one area in which Nintendo is technologically miles ahead of Sony or MS.
each time you walk up to a door you've already activated (by shooting) and the door doesn't instantly open and you can hear the GC making noises, you're waiting at a loading screen. pretty cool huh?

Trurl said:
How can a guy that spends 70-80 hours a week playing WoW be so caught up on graphics.
i'd really like an answer to this.

Azazazazala, do you think a Lexus is worth much more than a Toyota? Or a Infinity over a Nissan? No, there's not too much difference in the technology and materials within them. But people pay more for Lexi and Infinities regardless.

Prices of luxury items, AND VIDEO GAMES ARE CERTAINLY LUXURY ITEMS, don't reflect the worth of the materials within them. Jewelry is a perfect example of this.

The price is solely based on how much people want said items.

Your whole argument on GameCube + Wiimote is retarded. If people want a Wii much more than a GameCube, of course the price is going to be higher.

Cosmozone

dock UK said:
Two controllers as standard please! I don't care whether it's $200 or $250 on launch - let's face it, it'll get cheaper over time. However, two controllers as standard offers much more for game designers! I want to be able to rely on two wands when designing shit.
100% agree. :)
I don't see the chances as too high, though. :(

F#A#Oo

Banned
Screenboy said:
I'd like it to be below 200 quid here in England.

I think that's pretty certain mate...it will be under £200...:)

If it's $200 in the US then the UK will get it for from £129 (GCN launch price) up to anything like £150...if they really want to screw the UK that is.

LAMBO

I think the wii would be fine at $250. It's pretty good for all the n64 and GC games i missed, and if they let you download and play DS and GBA games i would pay even more. The only way Nintendo can screw this up for me is if the downloadable games cost too much.

Azazela

Banned
Since I'm such a celebrity in this thread I love how nobody aside from Error2k4 actually discussed things with me.

Everybody else is just throwing out personal insults or a bunch of people with Nintendo avatars just quote what I post and add a ":lol"

How very creative, it's more like damage control than actual proccess of debating. I mean did you people expect everybody to agree on a gaming forum?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Personally I think Nintendo needs to be $200 to offer price protection against Microsoft.

I know Peter Moore loves Wii and loves all the Nintendo fans and everyone is invited to Redmond for a party, but if Microsoft were to drop the price of each model 360 $100 dollars this holiday season, you'd have a $249 Wii (assuming it comes in at that) vs. a $199 360. And that would not be good.

Obviously the Wii would have no problem moving at that price because it's new, but the 360 would take off and probably garner momentum that would last it for a long time. If Nintendo comes in cheaper, then in the event of an MS price drop this year or next, they can still claim to have innovative experiences better than anything Microsoft has.

It'll be a hard sell if they are MORE expensive.

Endgegner

Azazela said:
Since I'm such a celebrity in this thread I love how nobody aside from Error2k4 actually discussed things with me.

Everybody else is just throwing out personal insults or a bunch of people with Nintendo avatars just quote what I post and add a ":lol"

How very creative, it's more like damage control than actual proccess of debating. I mean did you people expect everybody to agree on a gaming forum?

You expect a serious discussion after you say you would rather buy two ps3's at 1200 than a wii at 250$?

Taker666

F#A#Oo said:
I think that's pretty certain mate...it will be under £200...:)

If it's $200 in the US then the UK will get it for from £129 (GCN launch price) up to anything like £150...if they really want to screw the UK that is.

I'd say £149 is more likely for the UK.

It gives them more scope for price cuts...
..plus I doubt they would want to launch for less than the PSP retails for as UK consumers would assume it was inferior.

jarosh

Azazela said:

bringing up the 'avatar argument' twice in the same thread isn't very creative either

mug

$249.99 covers a large amount that includes built-in WiFi, 512MB, maayyybe component?

The higher price also means that they could bundle in a 2nd controller.

Azazela said:

SantaC

sigh, these price speculation threads is going to dominate this forum until august-september, and knowing Nintendo they will probably reveal it as late as TGS :(

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Azazela said:

damage control? we're mocking you.

there are a few posts, namely Trurl's and BPS's that you've conveniently ignored btw. so don't lecture about the quality of "discussion".

Top Bottom