• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii3: Apocalypse Redux

BooJoh

ImNotLikeThem said:
a flock of wiise
a flock of geese not in flight is called a gaggle of geese, so it may in fact be a waggle of wiise ;)

I would personally think the plural is just Wii... but if you want to be safe just say Wii systems :)

Pimpbaa

Taichu said:
I belive you purchase Virtual Console games for "Nintendo Points" or "Wii Points" or something like that instead of directly money. Like, an NES game may cost 500 points as opposed to 5.00 dollars. Presumably, you can buy points with money, or earn points by registering your games.

I'd say they will have point cards for sale too. Cards you buy with a code you enter to get you so many points. Similar to buying time cards for a mmorpg (and can't you buy xbox live points like this?)

RSP said:
wow, this thread is pretty much ready for the archives it seems.
This thread didn't end up as awesome as I was hoping for. The Wii controller revelation thread was so much more awesome. Then again, it had more trolling and annoying "nintendo iz da d0omz0red" posts.

kaizoku said:
I heard it can.

guys i was wondering....why on earth is the memory not expandable? I dont WANT to buy a 4GB SD card. A HD would have made sense considering the things Nintendo are offering.

Say for example Animal Crossing - wouldnt it be great if you could just more or less save your town on the HD? That way you dont need to have the disc inserted when people want to visit your town while you sleep. Or are we supposed to put it on some kind of "bark" mode, and insert disc - open town gates before we go to standby mode? That almost defeats the "accessible" motif.

Also things like Brain Training or Big Brain Academy - wouldn't they be infinitely better as DOWNLOADS? They're small basic games, played in short spurts on a daily basis. If you have to walk over to your Wii and keep changing discs for little games like this - well the wonderful channels interface is suddenly ....less wonderful.

Just turning on your Wii and having these options built in would be a huge improvement - brain training games, even wii sports.

btw I think we have a lot more in store regarding wii channels - see how the shopping channel isnt called the VC channel? they probably plan to sell us other things.

which brings me back to my original point. why no option for better storage! will SD cards even serve the functions I mentioned above? i.e. purchase and download brain training from shopping channel and load onto your 2GB SD card?

IIRC you don't need to have a disc in for WiiConnect24, you just need a save game on your SD card or flash memory while your Wii is on standby.

Rahul

qualityofwhatwedo.jpg

SanjuroTsubaki said:
I'm a huge Nintendo supporter, but the "gamers" at my work that call the Wii the "fag system" is still overwhealming.
10% market share?

Avutta1978 said:
I mean the price will change by lunch as did with the gamecube.
I can't speak for Europe, but the GCN price didn't change in the US once it was announced.

MrSardonic said:
and wtf...no more black wii at launch?
Black Wii was never an official launch color any more than gold and pink were for GameCube.

bachikarn said:
He has a point. I remember Craig-IGN said that DSL was originally coming out for $150 but they slashed it to $129 like a month before. I don't think they will, but it isn't uncharacteristic of Nintendo.

BELIEVE
But they didn't announce a $150 price for DSL. They quite famously dropped the announced price of N64 before launch, but is there a major example in the following decade?

miketrav87 said:
Anybody know if the Wii will be able to access the net using the Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Connector that the DS uses?
I can't think of a reason it wouldn't.

kaizoku said:
Say for example Animal Crossing - wouldnt it be great if you could just more or less save your town on the HD? That way you dont need to have the disc inserted when people want to visit your town while you sleep. Or are we supposed to put it on some kind of "bark" mode, and insert disc - open town gates before we go to standby mode? That almost defeats the "accessible" motif.
Err... in that case, just save the town to the internal memory or a card you leave plugged in, where it will be just as accessible at all times as it would be on a hard drive. An Animal Crossing save is not exactly a multi-gig affair.

ANyone else not digging how each VC game you D/L creates its own channel? I wish there was a sub menu with your VC games. It's going to get way to cluttered otherwise.

E-phonk

Banned
krypt0nian said:
ANyone else not digging how each VC game you D/L creates its own channel? I wish there was a sub menu with your VC games. It's going to get way to cluttered otherwise.
There is a way to manage your VC channels (ie, have each game as a seperate channel, group by console etc)

Tumalu

krypt0nian said:
Yeah, I've kind of been hoping that there's some way to categorize and subcategorize the channels. I don't want to be flipping through pages of VC games to find what I want within a few years.

Ford Prefect

GAAAAAAAAY
Mr. TV Goggles said:
So I'll be able to access my e-mail from my Wii?
The mail icon is for Wii-based messages, but... you can download Opera web-browser for the Wii if this is the first you've heard about it :lol

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
SanjuroTsubaki said:
I'm a huge Nintendo supporter, but the "gamers" at my work that call the Wii the "fag system" is still overwhealming.

:lol :lol :lol

what kind of ****ing retards do you work with?

Maximilian

DIYMF Alumni
I just went through this thread and watched many of the videos since I had school during the week and I am just floored. I was already onboard for day 1 purchase but I am totally amped now and cannot wait to get this party started.

Some thoughts:

I do think $60 for the controllers is a bit excessive but I feel it's a more justifiable price than the wireless 360 controllers for the same price.

I don't think $250 with Wii Sports is too bad, as it's a game I really wanted. It is a bit more than I wanted to pay but oh well.

OMG Zelda looks so fantastic.

I can live with MP3 being delayed as there's already more than enough games coming at launch I want.

I'm a little disappointed about DVD playback being dropped. I certainly don't need another DVD player, but it'd be nice to have one in the Wii so I can just take one unit on the go with me.

Interface is fantastic, waaaaaay more than I was expecting and even after I read about it earlier in the week, seeing what it's all about is very exciting!

Looks like there's a LOT of developer support in the pipeline.

Sorry to come late with this!

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
kaizoku said:
I heard it can.

guys i was wondering....why on earth is the memory not expandable? I dont WANT to buy a 4GB SD card. A HD would have made sense considering the things Nintendo are offering.

honestly I bet it has a lot to do with Nintendo thinking that an extra hard drive attached goes against the design philosophy of the console. I really think that they would think something like that.

Anyway, at least SD cards are dirt cheap. *shrug*

Maximilian

DIYMF Alumni
I have an idea what that Marble Madness type game is. If I remember correctly, a few years back at E3 2002, Nintendo demoed a game called Roll-o-Rama where you moved balls around by using the GBA to tilt it and control the ball. It never materialized. Maybe this is that project realized Wii style? Or has the game been named as something else and I missed it?

Amir0x

Banned
Maximilian said:
I have an idea what that Marble Madness type game is. If I remember correctly, a few years back at E3 2002, Nintendo demoed a game called Roll-o-Rama where you moved balls around by using the GBA to tilt it and control the ball. It never materialized. Maybe this is that project realized Wii style? Or has the game been named as something else and I missed it?

wait the Wii marble game is from Nintendo?

HaliKali

CorwinB said:
ENL4RGE YUOR WII 4 FREE ! CHE4P PH4grfhRMA FOR A BIG WII ! :lol

:lol It's funny 'cause it's true...
Do we know if the message system is part of the internet channel or is something by its own?

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Amir0x said:
wait the Wii marble game is from Nintendo?
No, Hudson. But Nintendo seems to be working with Hudson on their titles for launch. I mean, Wing Island also looks and supposedly plays just like the airplane demo Nintendo had at E3.

Amir0x

Banned
jj984jj said:
No, Hudson. But Nintendo seems to be working with Hudson on their titles for launch. I mean, Wing Island also looks and supposedly plays just like the airplane demo Nintendo had at E3.

ah. well, it looks neat the marble game

Top Bottom