• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WiiU "Latte" GPU Die Photo - GPU Feature Set And Power Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.
MK8 tracks just seem to be far to detailed to me. Rendering everything at 60fps, just has me trippin. Maybe if current gen had a kart racer that is comparable, I wouldn't be trippin.

Yeah, as much as people would like closure, what's been proposed here doesn't completely explain what we're seeing in some of these games. Though Shin'en said it well. The system is very powerful, and works together perfectly. The latter part being most important if we're talking about a machine who's raw modern components make it only 2 times or so more powerful on paper than PS360.

krizzx

I have yet to see anything that's significantly better than the HD twins at E3. I know Wii U is more capable but just barely.

Bayonetta 2, Smash and Mario Kart 8 looked beyond anything I've seen on the PS3/360 technically. I doubt you would consider anything released on the console graphically superior even if the devs themselves claimed it was, though(which they have many times)

Nothing can convince a person who wears tinted glasses.

ozfunghi

Bayonetta 2, Smash and Mario Kart 8 looked beyond anything I've seen on the PS3/360 technically. I doubt you would consider anything released on the console graphically superior even if the devs themselves claimed it was, though(which they have many times)

That goes both ways ofcourse. Personally, i haven't seen anything really impressive in Smash Bros other than resolution and framerate. Other than that, it doesn't look leagues better than Brawl IMO.

X is the game that could have people fooled which "next-gen" platform it's being made for.

We are listening, explain the technical aspects that are beyond what the PS3/Xbox360 generation was capable of.

krizzx

No. I'd assume the SU block is what handles the tri/clock in Flipper. And it wasn't till Cayman that ATi/AMD GPUs handled 2 tri/clock.
True, though Flipper wasn't developed by ATI. It was made by ArtX.
Things other than resolution would definitely have to be cut back. Even if the idea I mentioned were true, Latte still could not handle the same amount of geometry as the GPUs in PS4 or Latte. And if it's not true, then that would just mean even more cutting back. Then there also the much lower amount of ALUs, and API differences. Watch Dogs will be the best indicator of what type of differences we'd see.

Even at Wii U's best that wouldn't happen. Xbone still has the same CPU, an available memory amount closer to PS4, and architecturally the same GPU as PS4.

The former.

Just as I've said for Retro's game, Project Cars and many others, do not look for it to in any way tell what the Wii U can do. Don't expect the Wii U version to even outperform the 360 version of Watchdogs, because it is more than likely going to be a port of it. Exepct to see another Batman: Arkham City, RE: Revelations comparison. The Wii U version will have a few enhancements if any at all and a ton of glitches and frame rate hiccups like every other bad port on the console.

I doubt Ubisoft is going to drop the money, time and effort needed to make all 6 versions of watch dogs look as good as possible. There will likely be two versions made, the 360 and PC/PS4/XboxOne version. The other consoles will get a ports of those 2. I expect the Wii U and PS3 to get inferior ports fo the 360 version and the PS4/XboxOne to get inferior ports of the PC version.

That goes both ways ofcourse. Personally, i haven't seen anything really impressive in Smash Bros other than resolution and framerate. Other than that, it doesn't look leagues better than Brawl IMO.

X is the game that could have people fooled which "next-gen" platform it's being made for.
What goes both ways?

Ah, yes. How could I forget X. Though as I said, nothing can ever convince them. They were anti-Nintendo from the start on all fronts and made up their mind before they ever saw a picture. The fact that they focused solely on something as insignificant as less detailed background buildings from a singe game sequence that stay on the screen for all of 3 seconds do to you zooming past them while ignoring "everything" else makes that clear.

Me and the people in this thread who didn't come here with a predefined agenda are viewing this obejctively. No matter what any version looks or plays like, I'm going to get it for the PC because my PC is better than any console. Also, I'm using logical and rational comparisons. I've not seen any rabbid Wii U supporters in here. Only detractors who aim to derail progress in any positive direction. If there were then there would be three sides in this thread.

For example, take Bayonetta 1 compared to Bayonetta 2. We have the same level of effort and developement style being using in both situations. Bringing in a completely different game and from a competely different dev made in a completely different way like the people trying to defend the last gen console are doign will tell you nothing. It will make an argument that will go nowhere. There is no need for that in this situation since we have two built from the ground up games for 2 system from the same dev using the same amount of effort to compare. To try to bring in anything else is a fallacy. Just compare Bayonetta 1 on the 360 to what we have for Bayonetta 2 to gauge capability. I'm not compaing A1 to R-Alpha. I'm comparing A1 to A2.

Until the devs of Halo, God of War, Uncharted or any other game they want to pull out of their hat for comparison makes an exlcusive game from the ground up for the Wii U, then arguing using their games is mute.

Log4Girlz

Clueless would infer they didn't know what they were doing. They are far from clueless the choices they are making have perfectly rational business sense. They are just at a point where the system isn't doing well so they in order to stabilize sales they have to release the games that sell in incredibly high volumes the "system sellers".

Guess what kind of games those are.

So "panic Nintendo" is definitely not the best Nintendo.

They are clueless about what should be done to maximize their business. Hence Wii U sales.

Those are down ports, they are not the lead platforms. Watch Dogs was initially revealed a next gen title. When they first showed the concept at e3 last year, it was running on a high end PC.

The PS360 version was the latest to get developed, the Wii U/PS4/One version was already in development than.

Pretty vast though the art styles contribute quite a lot

wsippel

Banned
Gonna be some butt hurt when people realise that the Smash shots are bullshots.
The. Game. Will. Not. Look. Like. These. Shots.
Nintendo doesn't do bullshots. If anything, the final game will probably look quite a bit better, as it is usually the case when Nintendo releases early shots and footage.

That much is true... Nintendo seems to have a tendency to release shots that look worse than the actual game. I don't know how they do it, but they find a way.

Honestly, both All-Stars Battle Royale and Smash look pretty mediocre. I wouldn't be surprised if the latter will look better in the final version. Certerainly not bullshots, just downscaled from it's native 1080p resoultion to 720p, thus the relatively good image quality.

Hermii

You guys are going off-topic with the DK/Retro wining.

I partially agree, but the Next-gen version is getting made by a different team than the current-gen. If the scope was somehow narrowed by including the current-gen games, in theory that would have givin the next-gen team some leeway to boost the visuals more.

Watch Dogs was originally shown on a high-end PC, so perhaps things had to be toned down to get good performance on the next-gen dev kits. Now that they have better tools and more experience, they can now bring the visuals back up with The Division.

Wont Watch Dogs probably utilize the Wii U hardware better than 360 ports because it is developed for modern architectures?

Wont Watch Dogs probably utilize the Wii U hardware better than 360 ports because it is developed for modern architectures?

I actually think that Watch_Dogs could let us know a lot about where Wii U stands in comparison to last gen and this gen.

...That is, if there's a significant amount of effort put into the ports. Though to be fair, I imagine that they'd just let PS360 and Wii U look the same so as to save the effort and let PS4X1 look the same, leaving us in exactly the same place.

ahm998

I actually think that Watch_Dogs could let us know a lot about where Wii U stands in comparison to last gen and this gen.

...That is, if there's a significant amount of effort put into the ports. Though to be fair, I imagine that they'd just let PS360 and Wii U look the same so as to save the effort and let PS4X1 look the same, leaving us in exactly the same place.

I think splinter cell & Bayonetta 2,The wonderful 101 enough for me.

From my view I think wii U greater 2-4 times than ps360.

Bayonetta 1
http://paulfordsound.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/bayonetta.jpg

Bayonetta 2
http://image.gamespotcdn.net/gamesp.../gsm_169_bayonetta2_wiiu_e3_ot_061113_640.jpg

AzaK

Gonna be some butt hurt when people realise that the Smash shots are bullshots.
The. Game. Will. Not. Look. Like. These. Shots.

Those shots look terrible. Some OK shading on the faces to make them look round but there are tonnes of edged curved surfaces due to very low poly counts.

Man, the art style differences... lol.

Anyway, to be fair, ModNation Racers and LBP Karting both have dynamic/deferred rendering engines that probably eats up so much more power than it should.

I think splinter cell & Bayonetta 2,The wonderful 101 enough for me.

From my view I think wii U greater 2-4 times than ps360.

Bayonetta 1
http://paulfordsound.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/bayonetta.jpg

Bayonetta 2
http://image.gamespotcdn.net/gamesp.../gsm_169_bayonetta2_wiiu_e3_ot_061113_640.jpg
THIS.
Bayonetta 1 vs 2 is the most accurate comparison we have at this point. Both are made by the same company adn with the same artstyle.
And despite being Bayonetta 2 much better in terms of texture quality, polygon count and lighting it still manages to achieve better framerates than 360.
The PS3 port was so bad (it was 30fps at best, and most of the time it was below 25) that of course I'm not even counting it.

Hermii

On those shots it looks like night and day generational difference. But Im sure you can find better shots of both modnation and all star that will make them seem more favorably. It probably had a lot to do with the artstyle too, I am not good at seperating good art from technicly good graphics.

THIS.
Bayonetta 1 vs 2 is the most accurate comparison we have at this point. Both are made by the same company adn with the same artstyle.
And despite being Bayonetta 2 much better in terms of texture quality, polygon count and lighting it still manages to achieve better framerates than 360.
The PS3 port was so bad (it was 30fps at best, and most of the time it was below 25) that of course I'm not even counting it.

Bayonetta would be a good comparison if there were any decent direct feed gameplay screenshots out yet. The released video meterial is pretty bad in quality, can't judge much from that to be honest. Guess we'll have to wait.

Effect

I immediately start ignoring people that say anything stupid like the Wii U is being maxed out already. Unless they are developers making exclusive games for the system they are just ignorantly running their mouths. There is no reasoning with people that go off in that direction because facts and logic don't matter to them.

It's quite clear how powerful the Wii U is over the PS360. Even doing split screen 1080p 60fps on MK Wii U shows that. GT5 has split screen at 60fps, but it cuts out all the other cars because of it. WipeoutHD runs at 60fps and MOSTLY 1080p...split screen, the resolution drops even more.

I still stand by my statement that the Wii U is 2 - 2.5x the power of current gen. Which is enough for 1080p games at current gen + effects.

ahm998

It's quite clear how powerful the Wii U is over the PS360. Even doing split screen 1080p 60fps on MK Wii U shows that. GT5 has split screen at 60fps, but it cuts out all the other cars because of it. WipeoutHD runs at 60fps and MOSTLY 1080p...split screen, the resolution drops even more.

I still stand by my statement that the Wii U is 2 - 2.5x the power of current gen. Which is enough for 1080p games at current gen + effects.

This really blow my mind more than any ps360 games on e3 2013

http://www.gamersyde.com/download_mario_kart_8_e3_gameplay-30282_en.html

MK8 is 720p

This really blow my mind more than any ps360 games on e3 2013

http://www.gamersyde.com/download_mario_kart_8_e3_gameplay-30282_en.html
Looks great but that's an off-screen vid, and also from a decent distance... the ultimate bullvid combo.

Isn't that an apples to oranges comparison? There is a lot more heavy assets in GT5 than there would be in mk.

nordique

DirectX is Microsoft. Neither Sony nor Nintendo will or ever have used it to my knowledge. So does WiiU (or its games) support DX11? No, neither does PS4.

WiiU supports a toolset of which features are also present in DirectX. So while it doesn't support DirectX (owned by Microsoft), it does support many of those features. WiiU runs an equivalent of DirectX10.1 features and a few specific ones also present in DX11.

I agree with the first part of this post (the part I deleted)

Solely regarding the DX10.1/DX11 stuff however, this is what Tetsuya Nomura recently mentioned when asked why Kingdom Hearts III isn't coming to the Wii U:

Sadly, Square Enix’s tradition of not releasing Kingdom Hearts games on Nintendo home consoles will likely continue. Tetsuya Nomura all but ruled out a Wii U version of Kingdom Hearts III at Square Enix’s Future of Final Fantasy E3 event a few days ago. When asked about the title possibly coming to Wii U, Nomura explained that the team is developing it using DirectX 11. Square Enix can only bring the game to hardware that is “appropriate” for Kingdom Hearts III.

The Wii U’s inability to properly support DirectX 11 is apparently one of the major reasons third-parties pointed to when asked why their PlayStation 4/Xbox One games aren’t planned for Wii U.

http://nintendoeverything.com/125742/kingdom-hearts-iii-all-but-ruled-out-for-wii-u/

Does anyone want to chime in on this? I didn't think the difference between DX 10.1 and 11 is that great that is would prevent this from happening...is it then a purely horsepower thing rather than functional?

edit: I just realized this was addressed p.132-133 ... will quote this post because it has a great explanation of DX10.1 -> 11.

I could have sworn I've specifically replied to you about this very same thing before. DX11 added 3 main features to the DX standard over DX10.1. The big main 2 were tesselation, and compute shaders. The 3rd addition was better support for multi-core processors. The only things we need to be looking at here are Tesselation and Compute Shaders. DirectCompute can be run on AMD 10.1 hardware. DX11's flavor of tesselation couldn't directly be run on the tesselators found in AMD's chips do to not supporting certain function calls of DX11. That said though other API's could absolutely make use of the Tesselators. Now it is a given that the Tesselators that followed were much more efficient, than the ones found in AMD's 7xx line of chips.

We know from the leaked specs that were confirmed by multiple insiders that the Wii U GPU supports Compute Shaders, and we know from Shin'en confirming that it supports a tesselator.

So the two main features added by DX11 over DX10.1 are there, though yes the Wii U hardware is not as powerful as the XO/PS4, but were talking feature set not power. Also yes DX11 spec parts are going to be more efficient, and also support shader model 5.0 but the main feature set is there.

nordique

So now that we have seen better looking Wii U games, and PS4/One games, what do you guys think of the comparison?

I know I'm late to reply to this post, but I honestly can't see a huge difference outside of maybe MGSV (and this is me personally)

I was very unimpressed with the Madden 25 and FIFA 14 next gen revealings, which looked to me barely better than screens of Fifa 14 and Madden 25 for the current gen systems albeit with more mud textures, somewhat better lighting and clothing physics

Nothing at all even remotely comparable to the PS1 -> PS2 or PS2 -> PS3 jump for me, let alone SNES -> PS1.

That said, I do appreciate how the IQ has improved, with many games now at 1080p and 60FPS. For me that is great, and hopefully 1080p becomes the norm.

I could tell that there was a difference between the Wii U and some of the other titles on other systems but honestly, in this age of HD where none of my friends could point out screens from Forza 5 vs Gran Turismo 6 when I showed them, its seeming like it's minuscule for all but the most avid of gamers.

The only game that truly impressed me graphically in terms of a "next gen" feel, in all honesty, was MGSV.

Meelow

Banned

Solely regarding the DX10.1/DX11 stuff however, this is what Tetsuya Nomura recently mentioned when asked why Kingdom Hearts III isn't coming to the Wii U:

http://nintendoeverything.com/125742/kingdom-hearts-iii-all-but-ruled-out-for-wii-u/

Does anyone want to chime in on this? I didn't think the difference between DX 10.1 and 11 is that great that is would prevent this from happening...is it then a purely horsepower thing rather than functional?

The thing about this, the PS4 doesn't even support DX11 so I think Square could put KH3 on Wii U if they wanted to...Or if Nintendo pays them too, but that's what I think but I know for a fact PS4 doesn't support DX11 because Microsoft owns it.

I know I'm late to reply to this post, but I honestly can't see a huge difference outside of maybe MGSV (and this is me personally)

I was very unimpressed with the Madden 25 and FIFA 14 next gen revealings, which looked to me barely better than screens of Fifa 14 and Madden 25 for the current gen systems albeit with more mud textures, somewhat better lighting and clothing physics

Nothing at all even remotely comparable to the PS1 -> PS2 or PS2 -> PS3 jump for me, let alone SNES -> PS1.

That said, I do appreciate how the IQ has improved, with many games now at 1080p and 60FPS. For me that is great, and hopefully 1080p becomes the norm.

I could tell that there was a difference between the Wii U and some of the other titles on other systems but honestly, in this age of HD where none of my friends could point out screens from Forza 5 vs Gran Turismo 6 when I showed them, its seeming like it's minuscule for all but the most avid of gamers.

The only game that truly impressed me graphically in terms of a "next gen" feel, in all honesty, was MGSV.

MGSV looked amazing, but I do agree, both Wii U and PS4 impressed me visually, Xbox One didn't really do that.

MK8 is 720p
720p and 60fps is still more than what most PS360 games can pull off =P.
Isn't that an apples to oranges comparison? There is a lot more heavy assets in GT5 than there would be in mk.

2 player split screen doesn't even render the cars in 1st person mode, showing that their LOD is lower than normal. I mean.. GT5 "1080p" is super impressive. More so than MK8 IMO, but it also does 720p 3D as well.

But MK8 shows that it holds up better when you start pushing things like split screen.

The thing about this, the PS4 doesn't even support DX11 so I think Square could put KH3 on Wii U if they wanted to...Or if Nintendo pays them too, but that's what I think but I know for a fact PS4 doesn't support DX11 because Microsoft owns it.
It doesn't support DirectX, but all those DX11 features are still a part of the OpenGL pipeline.

720p and 60fps is still more than what most PS360 games can pull off =P.

2 player split screen doesn't even render the cars in 1st person mode, showing that their LOD is lower than normal. I mean.. GT5 "1080p" is super impressive. More so than MK8 IMO, but it also does 720p 3D as well.

But MK8 shows that it holds up better when you start pushing things like split screen.

but you whole post is about 1080p this and 1080p that if GT5 and Wipeout HD were 720p your whole post would be irrelevant, and seeing as MK8 is 720p your whole point is rendered useless

Mario kart seems to be doing a lot more geometry and effects in the background while most of GT5's assets go to the cars.
I pray to sweet baby Jesus that this is a joke

ozfunghi

edit: I just realized this was addressed p.132-133 ... will quote this post because it has a great explanation of DX10.1 -> 11.

That is what my initial post was about... :/

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=62956486&postcount=6346

Which is pretty amazing because during discussions of WiiU the idea of it being 50% more powerful than 360/PS3 was described by many as just "being on par" or "insignificant".
I don't think that's contradictory.

We don't know the exact capabilities of the Wii U, but a 50% difference between systems released at the same time is pretty significant, while a 50% difference between a next gen console and last gen consoles could be seen as "being on par" or "insignificant", meaning it would still be in the same ballpark.

ozfunghi

We don't know the exact capabilities of the Wii U, but a 50% difference between systems released at the same time is pretty significant, while a 50% difference between a next gen console and last gen consoles could be seen as "being on par" or "insignificant", meaning it would still be in the same ballpark.

That doesn't really make sense. We're comparing hardware, not timeframes or release schedules.

I'm curious to know if the latest X footage has changed your mind about it looking better than Just Cause 2 (on consoles)?

Donnie

I don't think anyone was talking about how significant the differences were relative to release dates? We're just talking about people's opinions of the gap in performance here as far as I'm aware. Which apparently has had some people claiming PS4 is a generation ahead of Xbox One due to a bit more RAM and 50 percent more graphics processing power.

Not saying it's contradictory by the way, because we could be talking about entirely different people than the ones who took part in the WiiU discussions. Just saying it's amazing how different opinions can be on two very similar subjects.

Also I don't want to quibble but like I said at the time, on par means the same. Therefore 50 percent more certainly can't be considered on par.

bomblord

Banned
but you whole post is about 1080p this and 1080p that if GT5 and Wipeout HD were 720p your whole post would be irrelevant, and seeing as MK8 is 720p your whole point is rendered useless

I pray to sweet baby Jesus that this is a joke

Why does saying Mario Kart has more noticeable background geometry than GT5 have to be a joke?

edit.
wiiumariokart8scrn08e3jpg-30b944.jpg

gran-turismo-5-screenshots-0909-2.jpg

I couldn't possibly disagree more with nearly every point made in this post save for MGSV looking next-gen and the sports games not blowing us away. There were quite a few games shown, not just MGSV, that trounce everything from current-gen and are fully worthy of the 'next-gen' moniker. It's a legit generational leap over last-gen, huge. Crow was served at E3, although there will always be people that deny and downplay it.

jackal27

Banned
I know that I've been sounding a little fandoyish as of late, but E3 just got me really excited to own a Wii U. I was really disappointed when I saw that the WiiU's hardware was pretty weak, but after comparing it to some of the other next-gen graphics coming out of the Xbone and Ps4, I have to say that it's looking like it can pump out some really gorgeous visuals.

Like, Monolith Soft's X might be the most gorgeous game I've ever seen. I don't think that is an exaggeration. Whatever they're doing with the hardware is incredible.

sorry bit off topic.

I want to go Wii U only as my time for gaming is not much with work and the family. If I find that Wii U only is not satisfying certain gaming aspects then I will get a decent PC. PS4 and XB1 will be easily surpassed by PC this time, so I don´t get all the hype for PS4, I will surely wait.

Based on what I have seen (not much, maybe Watch Dogs with effort) this early Wii U can hold pretty well to the XB1 and PS4, with obvious sacrifices, but ultimately what matters most to me is that the result on the Wii U looks good enough. It is sad the situation with 3rd parties, but I am hoping Wii U does well on the coming months.

It would be huge if we get at least some info from multiplatform developers if what we were guessing about Wii U development benefiting from XB1/PS4 development, because in the end architecturally Wii U is similar to XB1 and PS4 than PS360.

off topic but interesting: is something to be announced for Wii U soon?
Fils-Aime: "My bet is that there are going to be more announcements the closer we get to whatever their launch date is." http://kotaku.com/nintendo-saying-next-gen-is-only-sony-vs-microsoft-is-514050644

Meelow

Banned
sorry bit off topic.

I want to go Wii U only as my time for gaming is not much with work and the family. If I find that Wii U only is not satisfying certain gaming aspects then I will get a decent PC. PS4 and XB1 will be easily surpassed by PC this time, so I don´t get all the hype for PS4, I will surely wait.

Based on what I have seen (not much, maybe Watch Dogs with effort) this early Wii U can hold pretty well to the XB1 and PS4, with obvious sacrifices, but ultimately what matters most to me is that the result on the Wii U looks good enough. It is sad the situation with 3rd parties, but I am hoping Wii U does well on the coming months.

It would be huge if we get at least some info from multiplatform developers if what we were guessing about Wii U development benefiting from XB1/PS4 development, because in the end architecturally Wii U is similar to XB1 and PS4 than PS360.

off topic but interesting: is something to be announced for Wii U soon?
Fils-Aime: "My bet is that there are going to be more announcements the closer we get to whatever their launch date is." http://kotaku.com/nintendo-saying-next-gen-is-only-sony-vs-microsoft-is-514050644

COD on Wii U should be announced eventually and probably other titles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom