• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WiiU "Latte" GPU Die Photo - GPU Feature Set And Power Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schnozberry

The fixed function silicon is still very much speculation.

I wouldn't be surprised by fixed function hardware in the Wii U at all. They seem to be getting a lot more performance from the hardware than would seem to make sense on paper for a 160:8:8 configuration, if that's truly what it ends up being. Fixed function would be one way to explain that, but I'm sure there are others we haven't thought about. It would be nice of some kindly gent from AMD would come along and explain it to us.

somebody on TV tropes seems to think that the clock speeds of the system were increased after the most recent update
Technical Specifications
Processors
The CPU and GPU are built on the same package.
CPU: IBM PowerPC 7xx-based tri-core processor "Espresso" clocked at 1.24 GHz before the 3.0.0 update, 3.24 GHz after the 3.0.0 update. This is an evolution to the Broadway chip used in the Wii, is 64 bit and uses Power6 technote When IBM has said that Nintendo has licensed the Power7 tech from IBM, Nintendo is not using it for the Wii U, explaining its backwards compatibility.
GPU: AMD Radeon High Definition processor codenamed "Latte" with an eDRAM cache built onto the die clocked at 550 MHz before the 3.0.0 update, 800 MHz after the 3.0.0 update.

Meelow

Banned
somebody on TV tropes seems to think that the clock speeds of the system were increased after the most recent update

Isn't 3.24GHz really close to the PS4/720 CPU's? Or am I thinking about something else? And the GPU being at 800MHz is a lot better than what people thought before the Wii U released.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/article_history.php?article=Main.WiiU

edit:

5lXZkG2.png

edit 2:

eh.. may be realsies, may be wrongsies.. I put it there regardless..

TheD

The Detective

Because some random on TV tropes should be trusted...........

It is also completely illogical to launch a home system that is running at clockspeeds so much lower than what it can run at then upgrade it's speed in a patch.

AzaK

Please do not spread this information. It will NOT end well for anyone concerned.

If clock speeds were increased, wouldn't you see performance gains on software?

Indeed.

EDIT: Assuming that the "unlock" is system wide and not "turned on" by games that want to use it.

It is also completely illogical to launch a home system that is running at clockspeeds so much lower than what it can run at then upgrade it's speed in a patch.

Listen to this man.

btrboyev

Sony and Nintendo both have done this in their handhelds. Nintendo has even gone as far as unlocking cores and adding more RAM access on 3DS.

I however do not buy this Wii U rumor.

If clock speeds were increased, wouldn't you see performance gains on software?

For the already released games? I don't think so. Remember the ps3 unlocked some extra ram via the os throughout the years but old games never noticed an increase in anything, it's just from games that came out after the unlock.

iamvin22

Industry Verified

thank you! the heating solution would be useless with such a upgrade.

Well, PSP had that happen, but yeah. I'm still rather skeptical.

TheD

The Detective
Sony and Nintendo both have done this in their handhelds. Nintendo has even gone as far as unlocking cores and adding more RAM access to games on 3DS.

Handheld consoles run on batteries, that is why some are underclocked at launch (because higher clocks mean more power usage).
Home consoles do not have that limitation.

bomblord

Banned
Handle consoles run on batteries, that is why some are underclocked at launch.

Is it feasible that they did it to keep heat down but later deemed it safe enough for extended use within the thermal ceiling, assuming the power supply could support it.

So, they increased the clock by 2.5+ times and increased the eSRAM 250Mhz?

And all of a sudden this heat sink is going to keep this thing cool? Yeah, I doubt that.

btrboyev

For the already released games? I don't think so. Remember the ps3 unlocked some extra ram via the os throughout the years but old games never noticed an increase in anything, it's just from games that came out after the unlock.

If clocks are running higher full time, then yes, even old software should see improvement.

Meelow

Banned
Handheld consoles run on batteries, that is why some are underclocked at launch.

I'm obviously going to wait until we get more info, and someone tests the power draw and stuff like that, but Nintendo made the OS have 1GB when we know later Nintendo will unlock half of that for the games later on, so it's possible Nintendo under clocked the Wii U for launch I think, we'll have to see of course.

btrboyev

Handheld consoles run on batteries, that is why some are underclocked at launch (because higher clocks mean more power usage).

Nintendo may have underclocked because their tools weren't ready or their OS wasn't ready, which clearly it wasn't and still isn't.

TheD

The Detective
Is it feasible that they did it to keep the power draw and thermals down but later deemed it safe enough within the thermal ceiling to run at a higher clock speed, assuming the power supply could support it.

No, not unless they made some huge mistake measuring the heat and power draw when making the system.

I'm obviously going to wait until we get more info, and someone tests the power draw and stuff like that, but Nintendo made the OS have 1GB when we know later Nintendo will unlock half of that for the games later on, so it's possible Nintendo under clocked the Wii U for launch I think, we'll have to see of course.

Freeing up RAM usage for newer games is not like changing the clock speed at all!
It has nothing to do with hardware and is just about optimizing the RAM usage of some system services.

Nintendo may have underclocked because their tools weren't ready or their OS wasn't ready, which clearly it wasn't and still isn't.

It has nothing to do with tools or the OS!
It has to do with hardware.

Not taking this seriously yet.

The 3.24 could mean the total amount, so the CPU was lowered 1.08 each (stability issues????).

The GPU at 800Mhz I think that is possible (GPGPU???).

btrboyev

RAM is different than CPU. A games RAM usage is locked and set, unless a patch is made.

USC-fan

Banned
I wouldn't be surprised by fixed function hardware in the Wii U at all. They seem to be getting a lot more performance from the hardware than would seem to make sense on paper for a 160:8:8 configuration, if that's truly what it ends up being. Fixed function would be one way to explain that, but I'm sure there are others we haven't thought about. It would be nice of some kindly gent from AMD would come along and explain it to us.

I would be shocked If there any "fix function" beside what in there for bc.

Just no power left or any sign of it. It's only wishful thinking.....

Really the wiiu is very impressive for it's power consumption. Just the CPU in the ps4/720 will use more power than the wiiu system.

The 3.24 could mean the total amount, so the CPU was lowered 1.08 each (stability issues????).

Easy way to test is just check power consumption or does it feel hotter.

z0m3le

Banned

The GPU at 800Mhz I think that is possible.

I wouldn't even take this serious without a power draw test, does no one really have a measuring device for the task?

Ryoku

Hmm?

Anyways, I'm not buying that "rumor". There's so much against it. That small console would suddenly have to be ready to keep itself from melting (unless, of course, Nintendo planned for it, which itself is unlikely).

z0m3le

Banned
Hmm?

Anyways, I'm not buying that "rumor". There's so much against it. That small console would suddenly have to be ready to keep itself from melting (unless, of course, Nintendo planned for it, which itself is unlikely).

honestly it could easily disperse the extra heat, it is more a problem with the PSU, you'd have to move the power draw up by ~20watts putting the console's power draw just under 55watts... sort of reaching that limit there. The casing and heatsink I assume are designed to handle the full TDP of 75Watts.

AzaK

aHuwT0r.jpg

Yep. I believe it!

All someone needs to do to confirm or deny this is check the power draw. You can't just increase the clock that much without increasing the voltage...

Can anyone test this?

You read my mind. ;]
I have a metre at at home that can measure power draw. I'll check it in about an hour if noone else does.

TheD

The Detective
honestly it could easily disperse the extra heat, it is more a problem with the PSU, you'd have to move the power draw up by ~20watts putting the console's power draw just under 55watts... sort of reaching that limit there. The casing and heatsink I assume are designed to handle the full TDP of 75Watts.

Power draw does not scale linearly with clock speed.

jaz013

Banned
I just wonder, if the cpu rumor were on the other direction, what would have be the reaction? I suspect, at least three new threats by now.

The rumor may be true, but not double the speed. Up to 2, and using some Nintendo magic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom