• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WiiU "Latte" GPU Die Photo - GPU Feature Set And Power Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nintendo should make a new studio with all the old Factor 5 employees and let them have the same freedom Factor 5 had.

...Too bad that will probably never happen.

i really cant understand why they didn't snap them up, then again maybe julian whatshisname really likes making ios games

Why? This doesn't prove this its not what the Wii U version will look like.
Hey my friend these are your words:
And how many people in this thread refused to accept that the this was running on the Wii U earlier? Let me go count the names.
What i was telling you as well as others was:
You are not alone here, first that is probably not runing on Wii U hardware (i could totally see the system doing in it at 720P) but since it's a crowd sourcing proyect the prototype must be runing on PC.

And you didn't had a problem with statements like this backing you up:
Enjoy serving all of the crow, Mr. Krizzx ;). They've had it coming for quite a while.
So don't take your words back and pretend that nothing happened, asking for you to be reasonable is too much obviously, but im asking you to be humble at the least.

Official stance from the devs:

What platform was the demo video created with?
The demo is running on a PC, but it is compatible with the Wii U. Since CryENGINE supports the Wii U, we do not expect substantial differences between the two versions.

http://www.precursorgames.com/shadowoftheeternals/crowdfunding-update-1/

The moral of the story is that common sense and logic tend to be the most sensible tools a reasonable person uses when entering a disscussion, and fanatism should be put aside when searching for the truth. If that's indeed the purpose of the debate, and not some twisted way to hide an individual's insecurities.

...Well I guess it will never happen lol.

They should off, It's about time where Nintendo shows off a Wii U game that truly looks better than PS3/360, a game made by the Factor 5 devs would of done it.

it really makes no sense the were the geniuses of the TEV and gecko i wouldn't have been surprised if they could've done a wii game looking as good almost as ps360 games, i'd almost think they fell out with nintendo but they cant have done, almost their post lair unfinished projects were for the wii, flying game?, brutal legend port, superman (multplat), rogue squadren trilogy and the dodgy kid icarus pitch

Meelow

Banned
it really makes no sense the were the geniuses of the TEV and gecko i wouldn't have been surprised if they could've done a wii game looking as good almost as ps360 games, i'd almost think they fell out with nintendo but they cant have done, almost their post lair unfinished projects were for the wii, flying game?, brutal legend port, superman (multplat), rogue squadren trilogy and the dodgy kid icarus pitch

Yeah Factor 5 just made a mistake, I've noticed too that usually when a company leaves Nintendo they turn bad or non existent.

Factor left Nintendo because they were disappointed with the Wii specs...Maybe they should of stayed, at least they would still be around.

Edit: Did Factor 5 really say that they're Wii game would look like Lair on PS3 or even better? WTF?

I know this is off topic, but as I recall from an interview with Eggebrecht Factor 5 didn't even know the what the Wii's specs were when they went to Sony for a deal. The problem was they wanted to work on a game for Nintendo but Nintendo essentially wanted them to lay low for a bit as they finalized the Wii. Factor 5 needed money and went to Sony for a deal.

=|

As for the rest of your post, I do think that a dev leaving a console because of the specs rather than the money they can get from making games for it is an obviously idiotic decision.

It was about the money.

I think it was from the same interview, but Factor 5 was working on a 720p engine for the Wii. To do it they had to bypass the framebuffer and use the 24 MB 1T-SRAM as the frame buffer or some such. I really wish they could have done something on the Wii with a budget. He considered the Gamecube to be a very powerful design but the paltry 24 MB of usable RAM was always a problem, so seeing what they could do 88 MB would b interesting. Of course, had they gone to 720p I can only imagine the memory headaches of only having 64 MB.

Van Owen

Banned
Is the need for absolute word from the mouth of the developer confirmation that it's running on Wii U so important because people can't believe it or what?

It looks like we have two brands of naysayers here.

Those who want to downplay how good the game looks regardless, since it will be on Wii U

and

Those who won't believe it's running on Wii U without an exceptional form of confirmation.

Seriously guys, what's the deal?

The Wii U is a VERY capable machine. If competent developers who understand the machine well, put good effort into it, then we will have great looking games that have modern features. Will they always be at the same Frame rate as PS4 Nextbox, or always in 1080p? No. But that begs an entirely different question. If such a thing is that important to you, then why not just buy a decent gaming PC?

Anyway, I loved the lighting effect of the torches and the torch holder shadows on the wall.

Looks like we were right to be skeptical.

I don't see Wii U running a Cryengine 3 game with that fidelity.

I know this is off topic, but as I recall from an interview with Eggebrecht Factor 5 didn't even know the what the Wii's specs were when they went to Sony for a deal. The problem was they wanted to work on a game for Nintendo but Nintendo essentially wanted them to lay low for a bit as they finalized the Wii. Factor 5 needed money and went to Sony for a deal.

It was about the money.

I think it was from the same interview, but Factor 5 was working on a 720p engine for the Wii. To do it they had to bypass the framebuffer and use the 24 MB 1T-SRAM as the frame buffer or some such. I really wish they could have done something on the Wii with a budget. He considered the Gamecube to be a very powerful design but the paltry 24 MB of usable RAM was always a problem, so seeing what they could do 88 MB would b interesting. Of course, had they gone to 720p I can only imagine the memory headaches of only having 64 MB.

ah yes i remember that about them trying to do 720p, i dont doubt they could've done it either

krizzx

It was about the money.

It certainly would have been nice if they had made it 720p. The Wii could certainly do it if someone put the effort in, because, once again, ATI said the Wii GPU was capable of HD graphics but nintendo had it firmware locked.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
Looks like we were right to be skeptical.

I don't see Wii U running a Cryengine 3 game with that fidelity.

Is the trailer more impressive than those first screens? They didn't look that great to me, a lot of corners being cut (low res-AO, av IQ, some low res textures and smeared parallax) I don't see why the Wii-U would struggle to produce something along those lines.

"What platform was the demo video created with?
The demo is running on a PC, but it is compatible with the Wii U. Since CryENGINE supports the Wii U, we do not expect substantial differences between the two versions."

I will not believe this. It was running on a PC, I'm sure, Wii U can't do that lighting, particles and tesselation. There will be dramatically differences. It only has 176 GFLOPs, absolutely no power.

The demo is running on a PC, but it is compatible with the Wii U. Since CryENGINE supports the Wii U, we do not expect substantial differences between the two versions."

I will not believe this. It was running on a PC, I'm sure, Wii U can't do that lighting, particles and tesselation. There will be dramatically differences. It only has 176 GFLOPs, absolutely no power.

Did you only read the first page of this thread?

You should propably wait until E3 to make those claims. Also 176gflops is highly unlikely.

Just go to the Deutsche Bahn and drive around in a Dampflok until E3.

Also gflops is only part of what's needed for pretty images you know. Also Wii U IS capable of tesselation (Shin'en announed their next game will use it)

You should propably wait until E3 to make those claims. Also 176gflops is highly unlikely.

Also gflops is only part of ehats needed for pretty images you know. Also Wii U IS capable of tesselation (Shin'en announed their next game will use it)

Why is 176 GFLOPs (or 352 GFLOPS) unlikely? The analyse was made pretty well and it's very safe.

lol :D The Deutsche Bahn is always late, you know ^^

Yes, I know. But it has to share the power with the weak CPU to maintain PS3 framerates.

Where did Shin'en said that? o_O

Why is 176 GFLOPs (or 352 GFLOPS) unlikely? The analyse was made pretty well and it's very safe.

Yes, I know. But it has to share the power with the weak CPU to maintain PS3 framerates.

Why is it unlikely? The answer is in the discussion you apparently don't have time for.

https://twitter.com/ShinenGames/status/288610850833563648

176 glops (unlikely), 352 gflops (most likely). We dont have the 100% accurate gflop number. Thats the fact.

There alot about the GPU we dont know and its not even based on any existing HD Radeons. Its a complete custom job. It DOES borrow tech from Radeon HD series but were not even entirely sure from wich... (Lowest possible is HD4000 series, due to tesselation)

I might have missed something though, since i didnt follow the whole thead. Feel free to correct me.

https://twitter.com/ShinenGames/status/288610850833563648

176 glops (unlikely), 352 gflops (most likely). We dont have the 100% accurate gflop number. Thats the fact.

There alot about the GPU we dont know and its not even based on any existing HD Radeons. Its a complete custom job. It DOES borrow tech from Radeon HD series but were not even entirely sure from wich... (Lowest possible is HD4000 series, due to tesselation)

I might have missed something though, since i didnt follow the whole thead. Feel free to correct me.

Thanks, that's interesting. I'd know that it is custom, though. But that tweet from Shinen is indeed new to me.

D-e-f-

Banned

I'm curious how you'd know that the WiiU can't possibly do lighting, particles and tessellation like that. What are you basing this on? Even if particles and tessellation are toned down, how is that a "substantial" difference? This is some really minor stuff. Does Arkham City on PC look substantially better than its console counterpart because it has a bunch of extra particle effects and tessellation? http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/exclusive-physx-in-batman-arkham-city-a-first-look

Just as an example. Is that a SUBSTANTIAL difference? Like looking at a PS2 game next to a PS3 game, for example? That is very minor stuff that definitely looks cool when it's there but you barely notice it when you're actually playing.

I find the notion that WiiU games cannot possibly look this good quite laughable (esp. since I personally don't think the SotE demo looked particularly mind blowing). Stop getting hung up on numbers.

Thanks, that's interesting. I'd know that it is custom, though. But that tweet from Shinen is indeed new to me.

Nintendo fucked up with the dev kits, the sdk and documentation. Final kits arrived in November (according to Criterion, NFS:MW devs) but the SDK was still crap back then.

Also Nintendo missed to really bring a game that shows what Wii U can do. Thats gonna happen this E3.

Iwata said in the last financial meeting Q&A from last April that its Nintendos job to prove Wii U is not underpowered.

And NO Wii U wont be able to produce PS4/720 level of visuals, but im very confident we will see Wii U being a clear step up from PS360. (Since even the HD4000 tech would be 3-4 generations newer than PS360 GPU)

test_account

XP-39C²

Also gflops is only part of ehats needed for pretty images you know. Also Wii U IS capable of tesselation (Shin'en announed their next game will use it)
What is ehats?

test_account

XP-39C²
look at the letter that is next to E on your keyboard. there is W and R. now insert any of those two and see which combination forms a word that fits his sentence. once successful, imagine hearing the treasure chest chime from Zelda.
Play TF2 and you'll know!

lol

Should have been "what's"
Lol, i honestly didnt think that it could be a typo. Thanks :) There are different types of hats, like moneyhats etc., so i thought it was an actual word that i didnt know about hehe.

D-e-f: What if my keyboard looks like this? ;)
It doesnt, but my old keyboard actually had about 5-6 keys that were blank due to wear hehe :)

D-e-f-

Banned
Lol, i honestly didnt think that it could be a typo. Thanks :) There are different types of hats, like moneyhats etc., so i thought it was an actual word that i didnt know about hehe.

D-e-f: What if my keyboard looks like this? ;)
It doesnt, but my old keyboard actually had about 5-6 keys that were blank due to wear hehe :)

If your keyboard looked like this, you'd have never heard that sweet sweet chime. :D

test_account

XP-39C²
If your keyboard looked like this, you'd have never heard that sweet sweet chime. :D
Hehe, true :) Right now i'm actually using a keyboard from 1994, but it does have all keys printed and the keyboard isnt that much used, so i can see all the letters and numbers =)

krizzx

Who's Fourth Storm and where's his analyse ^^?

And 176 GFLOPs would be much more laughable. I can't believe this, that would be much worser than PS3...

If Fourth Storms theory is correct, then that would mean the GPU is even stroner than we think it is at 352 Gflops.

QaaQer

If Fourth Storms theory is correct, then that would mean the GPU is even stroner than we think it is at 352 Gflops.

Either way, it seems rather unconventional; which, I suppose, could partly explain 3rd party issues and spotty support.

tkscz

But I can't read 78 pages. So what's the informations I don't know, please?

Not sure why he won't tell you, so I will. As you saw from the OP, we got to see the inside of the GPU, thing is, it was discovered that a big chunk of the GPU is made of fixed silicon (possible fix function silicon). We aren't positive about what it does, but if it is fixed function silicon, then the number of Gflops on the GPU won't affect it. Most here are guessing the fixed functions, if they exist, are for tessellation, lighting, or maybe particles. I personally think it's tessellation AND lighting.

Pretty sure this is prior to the fixed silicon discovery.

QaaQer

Not sure why he won't tell you, so I will. As you saw from the OP, we got to see the inside of the GPU, thing is, it was discovered that a big chunk of the GPU is made of fixed silicon (possible fix function silicon). We aren't positive about what it does, but if it is fixed function silicon, then the number of Gflops on the GPU won't affect it. Most here are guessing the fixed functions, if they exist, are for tessellation, lighting, or maybe particles. I personally think it's tessellation AND lighting.

I think he mentions fixed silicon in the blurb, but it is a 3 week old post.

tkscz

I think he mentions fixed silicon in the blurb, but it is a 3 week old post.

I read the wrong date, my apologies. If it's only 3 weeks old, then the FS discovery was found before this. Something to remember though is that this is just a theory, like all the other ones.

I didn't tell him because I didn't want this debate to regress to what it was for the first half a dozen or so pages. Maybe I was just irritable because it was the middle of the night, but I found it annoying that he refused to do any research on the subject before trying to make contributions to the discussion. I'm not saying he should be an expert on the Wii U hardware, but I'd rather this thread move forward, not backward.

Either way, it seems rather unconventional; which, I suppose, could partly explain 3rd party issues and spotty support.

The launch ports were bad for the system in terms of showing potential.

But the launch ports now that we know the tools were not there from Nintendo, I think it could be seen as a positive. AC3 was at least on par, as well as Black Ops 2. Batman and ME3 had some issues but not game breaking, in Batman it is believed that the console should be set on 720p to get better results. There were other shittier ports I agree. But if studios like Ubi and Treyarch could get the game running with unfinished tools, then devs can only go up from there.

Some people like to think that those ports are the base for every Wii U game, good luck to them.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member

What's the difference between fixed silicon and fixed function silicon :p? Just messing with you, but the discovery wasn't that large chunks of the die were 'fixed' but that they didn't match up with what was expected to be found in a shader cluster. Anything beyond that is speculation. BTW, even if it was a stock HD4XXX chip the tesselator would be fixed function, but I can't recall if the unit has been identified on the die.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom