• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WiiWare now available in Japan.

Teknoman

Man...NA better get Star Soldier R. That is just awesome. Nice soundtrack too. It's even got cool stage intro sequences :D

sp0rsk said:
It's a full game, the point isn't playing a straight shooter, its honing your skills to get the most points out of that 5 minutes.

So...would it be possible to actually "beat" the game since it's supposed to still be a full game?

EDIT: Never mind, read the impressions. Man now im kinda iffy about the game. Would be nice if they have periodic free stage packs to add different point challenges to the game. They would be on to something with that.

Shit, I hardly have any blocks left... and no SD card handy.

If I delete games from my Wii, can I redownload them without having to pay again?

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
marvelharvey said:
Shit, I hardly have any blocks left... and no SD card handy.

If I delete games from my Wii, can I redownload them without having to pay again?
yep.

swerve

Yeah, in the end I got bored of moving things around to the SD card, and just decided to delete and re-download when I want to.

This would be totally acceptable to me, too (seeing as I recently moved house and my new connection is way quicker) if there were a place on the wii menu where I could browse a list of all the games I've got on my account, and choose to link straight to the download from there (rather than having to go into the shop to see that).

I accidentally bought ping pong when checking out the required space :/ but it's quite sweet. I used my FFCC points to get it though. Heh.

Gagaman

swerve said:
Yeah, in the end I got bored of moving things around to the SD card, and just decided to delete and re-download when I want to.

This would be totally acceptable to me, too (seeing as I recently moved house and my new connection is way quicker) if there were a place on the wii menu where I could browse a list of all the games I've got on my account, and choose to link straight to the download from there (rather than having to go into the shop to see that).
I beleive there is a "titles I have downloaded" page that you can do excatly that from.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
I knew S-E was the main reason they announced Pay-to-Play, so anybody try FF:CC yet?

mrpogi23 said:
i would like to thank anyone to bought Saku Saku Animal Panic or planning to.

I hope you guys enjoy it as we enjoyed making it. I cant say yet what the official title for US release because Konami is still in process of finalizing the name... so just wait until then.
I think we are the only american indie developer to launch in japan :)
yes we are indie even tho we are under Konami.
I think I might pick this up. I hope you all enjoy the Ferrais you'll be buying from your royalty cheques.

batbeg

solid2snake said:
"you encouter a new enemy, plz buy the DLC. thanks!"

Except you don't encounter enemies in the game :p

I'm probably on my own, but I think DLC for this type of game could be really good, so long as it's appropriately priced (cheap). Have the ability to send your townspeople out on new missions to new locations, or have new classes, etc.

Uh, SSR only being time attack suddenly makes the price point not that appealing anymore.

Gagaman said:
I beleive there is a "titles I have downloaded" page that you can do excatly that from.
But that requires you to go to the shop channel, which is clunky and slow. I think that was his point, it would be easier if there was a channel on the dashboard. And I agree with him, if Nintendo requires us to rearrange the fridge, at least give us direct access to it.

Hunahan

Banned
Wow. Star Solider looks like a serious fucking hose-down of a rip off.

I've seriously played demos that are longer than that game. 8 bucks for 2 stages that don't even last 5 minutes combined? Can't believe people are actually looking forward to a localization on that deal.

Paging Mr. Barnum....

Model 500

Hunahan said:

I've seriously played demos that are longer than that game. 8 bucks for 2 stages that don't even last 5 minutes combined? Can't believe people are actually looking forward to a localization on that deal.

Paging Mr. Barnum....

Well, I've played the 6 minute mode of Zoo Keeper DS approximately 32 768 hours. SSR is a high score game and if the level design is open enough for serious score maximizing there's no problem at all.

batbeg

Hunahan said:

Paging Mr. Barnum....

Wow. There's a lot of stupid in this post.

There's a 2-minute mode and 5-minute mode (look, more than 5 minutes!) which you are encouraged to play multiple times, further increasing the length of the game - there's also that quick-shooting mood.

Look, SMB3 can be beaten in 8 minutes, it's now a ripoff!

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Fuck.

Does Japan's Wii Store handle foreign CC's?

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
That's encouraging!

I really don't want to use my CC but I can't find point cards anywhere.

Hunahan

Banned
Model 500 said:
Well, I've played the 6 minute mode of Zoo Keeper DS approximately 32 768 hours. SSR is a high score game and if the level design is open enough for serious score maximizing there's no problem at all.
Every shmup is a high score game. Only difference here is that you get way, waaaay less of it.

I call a spade a spade.

Hunahan said:

Paging Mr. Barnum....
Not a fan of Pac Man CE then?

Hunahan

Banned
batbeg said:
Wow. There's a lot of stupid in this post.

There's a 2-minute mode and 5-minute mode (look, more than 5 minutes!) which you are encouraged to play multiple times, further increasing the length of the game - there's also that quick-shooting mood.

Look, SMB3 can be beaten in 8 minutes, it's now a ripoff!
Look, man.

I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade. You think that's worth 8 bucks, feel free to indulge yourself. I'm certainly not going to stand in your way. Whatever blows your hair back.

I'm just saying that to me, as someone who has, and continues, to consume digitally downloaded shmups, that sure seems to be a pretty piss-poor effort to hide the fact that they only made two stages of a game.

So don't try and tell me that there's something new or different about this particular two stages of a fairly standard and straight-forward shmup runthrough that makes this an exception to the standard value equation, because there really isn't. It is what it is.

Now you can try to morph my argument into something it isn't, call me stupid, bring up warp zones in old Mario games, or whatever makes you feel better about this situation, but it ain't going to change the facts of the matter. It's two short stages from a shmup that they're trying to charge full price for. If you're ok with that, have fun. Me? Like I said, I call a spade a spade. And apparently so does Kohler, if you can be bothered to cool down long enough to read his write up on the subject.

I get that people are excited about the launch, but there's absolutely no reason to completely throw objectivity out the window because of that.

Hopefully some of the other games turn out a bit better. Cheers.

soul

So wait, I'm at work and can't use my Wii: Does 'My Life has a King' have paid additions? that sucks. Can anyone provide more details about wihhc parts cost money, etc?

Cedille

It seems the soundtrack of the new FFCC no longer features early music. Maybe sampling of early instruments is, if sequenced as the predecessor did, virtually impossible because the size of the games is limited to less than 40MB.

Model 500 said:
I don't have problems with a "true" single player mode lacking. But at 800 points with just two levels there's not enough value for me to really justify a purchase.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
sp0rsk said:
Go to a conbini, they have em too.

Yeah RK, there should be a either an electronic kiosk with a touch screen you can use to buy tickets or point cards, or a section at any of your conbinis for point cards. All the ones around me sell Wii, Xbox Live, and PSN points.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
the star soldier games have always included the two and five minute score attacks, but it's pretty lame that star soldier r is nothing else -- i've never spent much time in those modes. if it weren't for my congenital inability not to buy shooters, i wouldn't buy this

is it reasonable to expect a full-featured original shooter for $8? well -- omega five is $10.

batbeg

So the FFCC is literally just DLC in the form of costumes? Lame. Hopefully there's something more interesting.

Hunahan said:
Look, man.

I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade. You think that's worth 8 bucks, feel free to indulge yourself. I'm certainly not going to stand in your way. Whatever blows your hair back.

I'm just saying that to me, as someone who has, and continues, to consume digitally downloaded shmups, that sure seems to be a pretty piss-poor effort to hide the fact that they only made two stages of a game.

So don't try and tell me that there's something new or different about this particular two stages of a fairly standard and straight-forward shmup runthrough that makes this an exception to the standard value equation, because there really isn't. It is what it is.

Now you can try to morph my argument into something it isn't, call me stupid, bring up warp zones in old Mario games, or whatever makes you feel better about this situation, but it ain't going to change the facts of the matter. It's two short stages from a shmup that they're trying to charge full price for. If you're ok with that, have fun. Me? Like I said, I call a spade a spade. And apparently so does Kohler, if you can be bothered to cool down long enough to read his write up on the subject.

I get that people are excited about the launch, but there's absolutely no reason to completely throw objectivity out the window because of that.

Hopefully some of the other games turn out a bit better. Cheers.

Try again, I don't give a damn about the game (although I did read Kohler's post and know enough about it to point out you were factually wrong on both accounts of the number of modes and amount of time).

Furthermore, if $8 is to you a full-price game, when Nintendo consider it the equal to a ROM dump of 15-year old games... :lol Hell, that's so cheap that if it comes to the UK I'll probably buy it anyway as it looks like a quality product, though I don't really play shmups.

Fact is, it isn't the equivalent of 5 minutes or under gameplay, no matter how you try to spin it, and people are really looking forward to a mode they enjoyed where they will be able to measure their e-peens with their high-scores.

soul

batbeg said:
So the FFCC is literally just DLC in the form of costumes? Lame. Hopefully there's something more interesting.

Square Enix has revealed that extra features for Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a King will be sold for up to 300 Wii Points. These features include extra skins for the king, new dungeons, buildings and even a new race. The company didn't give an official release date for these additions, but said they will announce one soon.

batbeg

soul said:
Square Enix has revealed that extra features for Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a King will be sold for up to 300 Wii Points. These features include extra skins for the king, new dungeons, buildings and even a new race. The company didn't give an official release date for these additions, but said they will announce one soon.

Okay, I'm pretty turned on now.

Neo Child

Banned
soul said:

~200 Wii Points for a new race is pretty hot.

I would have loved, however a FFCC: Ring of Fates style game for WiiWare - with downloadable races and dungeons. That'd be well worth my WiiPoints if they did that.

batbeg

There are still dungeons, you just don't go to them, you get reports of your heroes having gone to them, basically. There's also a map with the locations planned out and stuff.

The point of the game is the city-building aspects, really, training up people to send to dungeons and building the city.

webrunner

DeaconKnowledge said:
So, can somebody explain what the point of FFCC is? Dungeons? I thought there was no combat?

I assume it's dungeons for your citizens to explore.

Also, 5 minutes plus 2 minutes = 7 minutes. Star Soldier is more than a dollar per minute!

batbeg said:
There are still dungeons, you just don't go to them, you get reports of your heroes having gone to them, basically. There's also a map with the locations planned out and stuff.

The point of the game is the city-building aspects, really, training up people to send to dungeons and building the city.

sooo it's not like Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles at all then? Sounds great...

Top Bottom