• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WiiWare now available in Japan.

WiiRevolution1 said:
Same way WiiSports tennis played.

Oooh... Is it as responsive? Better? Would be fucking hilarious if a no-budget WiiWare game replicated the Wii Tennis controls when no major third-party has done to date...

Gigglepoo said:
I thought you were talking about Pokemon Ranch for a second. I'm still trying to figure out what's going on there.
Well its just a Pokemon sim game where you can feed ur pokemon and stuff.

You can shake the WiiMote to flip the, cause a earthquake to them and ur mii, or a tornado!

So far they have:

A Tailow has picked my Mii up and flew it away
A Gyrados attacked a Mudkip
A Gyradois flew outside the ranch
A Pikachu zapped my Mii then it danced
A Mudkip hit my Mii on the head

And just random walking....O_O

Cosmonaut X said:
Oooh... Is it as responsive? Better? Would be fucking hilarious if a no-budget WiiWare game replicated the Wii Tennis controls when no major third-party has done to date...
Very responsive, I would say more so then WiiSports :lol

Haunted

Definitely liking the DS Wii Download Play feature. :D Games look good, too.

JohnTinker said:
kccsw3.gif
:lol :lol

Jiggy

Stumpokapow said:
And that's the beauty of this. Nintendo creates an artificial limitation that all of their biggest nerdiest customers will inevitably hit, and then sells a product for a high price-point that could easily be given away for free or sold for a lower price point to solve that limitation.

I mean, Nintendo could easily have raised the number of pokeys you could store on a DP cart...
Saving times are already crazily long for a portable game, since it's saving data on up to 426 Pokemon (even ignoring all other things) and making a backup file in case the first one corrupts. I'm not sure how the limitation can be called artificial.

And 1000 Wii Points isn't too high a price point. (Said with the disclaimer that I realize I'm an enigma who thinks 800 Wii Points for an SNES or Genesis game is superb, and think the ping pong game looks great for 500, but will pass on nearly any Wii retail game until it's $20 or less--which is the approximate inverse of everybody else on GAF.) Besides, a person would have to already own at least one copy of Pokemon, a DS, and a Wii in the first place to get any utility out of this title. They've got the discretionary money to take care of ten bucks.

But with that said...
or they could have built this stuff into Pokemon Battle Revolution... or it could have been a freely downloadable app... or it could have been 500 Wii points.
These things are very true. :/ PBR should definitely have had storage features, considering that Colosseum and XD did (albeit very minimally). And 500 points for just the storage would be almost infinitely better than 1000 points, considering the extra amount is going purely to shovelware that's an affront to the eyes and a disgrace to the series. I can't figure out why Nintendo hasn't done that just yet, seeing as it would cost basically nothing to develop. Just port over the Pokemon Box infrastructure and make it wireless. :/

Stormbringer said:
Eh, Saku Saku Animal Panic looks kind of...surprisingly fun.

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm2784529

And is it me or does it sound like Grasshopper could have designed this game's sounds and musics ? Pretty whacky.

...Oh, I just noticed that the impressions have already been posted ->

Kobun Heat said:
Okay, I can barely keep my eyes open, but here's Saku Saku Animal Panic. I'm saving FFCC and Dr. Mario and the ping-pong game for tomorrow, as they are going to require a bit more mental capacity than I can muster up right now.

http://blog.wired.com/games/2008/03/wiiware-impre-3.html

Nice ! It looks like it could be pretty fun indeed. I was surprised to learn that it was western developped too. Also ->
mrpogi23 said:
i would like to thank anyone to bought Saku Saku Animal Panic or planning to.

I hope you guys enjoy it as we enjoyed making it. I cant say yet what the official title for US release because Konami is still in process of finalizing the name... so just wait until then.
I think we are the only american indie developer to launch in japan :)
yes we are indie even tho we are under Konami.

Nice job, here. Looks like a damn fine game. *Thumbs up*

ivysaur12

Banned
Saku Saku Animal Panic sounds like a lot of fun. I'll definitely pick it up when it comes to America.

Sounds like you did a good job, mrpogi23. Congrats.

gutshot

Saitou said:
How much space are you left with after dling all of the WiiWare games, Kobun? :lol :lol

Also, hurry up with those FFCC impressions!

NintendoWorldReport has a pretty interesting quote in their WiiWare rundown regarding space (or the lack thereof) for WiiWare games:

And just to point something out: If you were to purchase and download all nine Japanese WiiWare launch titles, it would take up 1703 Blocks of Wii system memory. That doesn't leave room for much of anything else, considering the Wii only has 1840 or so free Blocks at its maximum capacity.

A storage solution has to be coming soon, right Nintendo? Right?

gutshot said:
NintendoWorldReport has a pretty interesting quote in their WiiWare rundown regarding space (or the lack thereof) for WiiWare games:

A storage solution has to be coming soon, right Nintendo? Right?
Seriously, that's getting pretty ridiculous.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Stormbringer said:
Seriously, that's getting pretty ridiculous.
it was getting ridiculous around last summer, we are way past that now.

RagnarokX

WiiRevolution1 said:
Well its just a Pokemon sim game where you can feed ur pokemon and stuff.

You can shake the WiiMote to flip the, cause a earthquake to them and ur mii, or a tornado!

So far they have:

A Tailow has picked my Mii up and flew it away
A Gyrados attacked a Mudkip
A Gyradois flew outside the ranch
A Pikachu zapped my Mii then it danced
A Mudkip hit my Mii on the head

And just random walking....O_O
I heard you can trade pokemon with the Mii that runs the ranch, maybe get some rare pokemon that way.

jarrod

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
Jeez, we might have to believe at this point.

Nintendo developers who are currently working on a known project: IntSys, MonolithSoft, HAL, Nexon, Paon, Grasshopper, Namco, SPD4, TOSE (8)

Nintendo developers who are not currently working on a known project for Nintendo or whose most recent project is not released but finished and sent to manufacturing: Hudson, Brownie Brown, Artoon, Treasure, Q-Games, Retro, AlphaDream, Game Freak, Genius Sorority, Noise, iNiS, Mitchell, NST, Camelot, Fuse Games, N-Space, Vanpool, MediaKite, Agenda, Arika, VITEI, RED, SPD1, SPD2, SPD3, EAD1, EAD2, EAD3, EAD4, EAD5, EAD Tokyo. (26)

Nintendo games that we don't have developers for: Wii Chess, Crosswords DS, Wii Music. (3)

Holy fuck is that a lot of people being paid for doing nothing (or at least nothing we know about publicly)
Mitchell's doing Puzzloop WiiWare for Nintendo btw.

Guys, don't worry. The milk will go off anyway, so just rearrange the fridge.

and by milk I mean channels and by go off I mean expire like the metroid prime preview one or mean they'll just get boring

Proven

So far, the Wii can store about 9 Wiiware games.

With a 2.0 GB SD card, you can have 9 games you can play at any moment, plus 36 more that can be transfered within 30 seconds, unless it is extremely large (around 300 blocks or more) or you have a crappy card.

If you're telling me you want 9 non-disc games ready to play at any moment, and actually play them all at least semi-regularly, sure.

But more than that seems unreasonable to me.

Of course, this is from my point of view, but it has been my biggest problem with HDD complaints. I'm the type of person that would have at most five on regular status, three or four on semi-regular status (mostly multiplayer games that I can even put out ahead of time if I'm having friends over), and then everything else might as well be put up on the virtual shelf, as they won't be played again very much at all.

So I finally got around to watch some of the FFCC play-though on NicoNico...And damn, what a cool, interesting looking little game. It's still pretty damn impressive to see the level of refinement achieved on this game by the S-E guys (regarding not only the graphics, but also the game mechanics, or the gameplay, from what I've seen of it) especially given some of the constraints they went through (see the summaries of the GDC Keynote on this subject).
Anyway, it certainly seems a bit pricey compared to the other games (and it IS definitely more pricey compared to the other games), but I think it could really end up being one of the best value on the service so far.
And what about the much controversial pay-to-play downloadable content for this game ? Well, fuck me, but I already can't wait to get my hands on it :( .

What happens if I buy all these games on Virtual Console and Wii Ware and Nintendo eventually shuts down their services say 10 years from now? I cant play the games I bought, nor have access to them at all.

Banned
DarthWaiter said:
What happens if I buy all these games on Virtual Console and Wii Ware and Nintendo eventually shuts down their services say 10 years from now? I cant play the games I bought, nor have access to them at all.
sandisk-2gb-sd-card.jpg

Spiegel

Proven said:

With a 2.0 GB SD card, you can have 9 games you can play at any moment, plus 36 more that can be transfered within 30 seconds, unless it is extremely large (around 300 blocks or more) or you have a crappy card.

If you're telling me you want 9 non-disc games ready to play at any moment, and actually play them all at least semi-regularly, sure.

Of course, this is from my point of view, but it has been my biggest problem with HDD complaints. I'm the type of person that would have at most five on regular status, three or four on semi-regular status (mostly multiplayer games that I can even put out ahead of time if I'm having friends over), and then everything else might as well be put up on the virtual shelf, as they won't be played again very much at all.

PikminOlimar.jpg

Nintendo can do nothing wrong for people like you

Linkup

DarthWaiter said:

Welcome to the world of DD services.

Anyway, Nintendo or anybody else won't shut down their servers or stop implementing said service into future systems until they stop making profit on them.

Terrell

Spiegel said:
PikminOlimar.jpg

Yes, because someone who likes Captain Olimar MUST be a Nintendo fanboy. Run that one past Amir0x, see how far that gets you. Give your head a shake.
I know it's very fashionable to shit all over Nintendo's storage solution, but it's not like it's horrible or beyond any sort of use... it's just not for GAF and its power-users who need 15-20 downloadable games immediately on the go. Shucks.

JonathanEx said:
Guys, don't worry. The milk will go off anyway, so just rearrange the fridge.

and by milk I mean channels and by go off I mean expire like the metroid prime preview one or mean they'll just get boring
WiiFridge: Arrange Your Fridge in Just Minutes A Day.

Make it happen Nintendo!

Proven

Spiegel said:
PikminOlimar.jpg

*blink*

I don't know how to respond to that.

I tried putting something here, but I don't even think you're worth a proper response.

Cheez-It

Proven said:

I agree. Think of the transfer times as the time it would take to find the physical disc, put it in, and load it up. Would allowing play off the SD card or allowing external storage to be used offer more? Of course. But the current solution isn't exactly a deal breaker for anyone but nit-picking pack-rats.

Spiegel

Terrell said:
Yes, because someone who likes Captain Olimar MUST be a Nintendo fanboy. Run that one past Amir0x, see how far that gets you.

No, only a blind nintendo fanboy could have said the text I quoted and the pikmins in his avatar fit perfectly with the quote

Terrell

Spiegel said:
No, only a blind nintendo fanboy could have said the text I quoted and the pikmins in his avatar fit perfectly with the quote
OK, some of us will continue anticipating downloading tons of WiiWare content and enjoying it thoroughly while the rest of you bitch, moan and consumer-protest about it being a "useless" service because of a damned inconvenience keeping you from the content you want. Because we all know Nintendo can't do anything right... right?

Shadowlink123 said:
Anyone know how much space each game takes, especially my life as a king?

Here is what I found (in term of blocks) ->

Mojipittan : 285 (without counting pay-to-play content, eventually)
Animal Panic : 302
Star Soldier R : 141
FFCC : 287 (w/o p2p)
Pokemon Ranch : 122 (meazured without any Pokemon in storage)
Dr. Mario : 86
LONPOS : 99 (w/o p2p)
Solitaire : 91
Ping Pong : 274

FFCC looks pretty nicely compressed compared to some other titles, especially given everything that is seemingly crammed into it.

Top Bottom