• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wild Hearts - PS5/Xbox Series X/S and PC DF Tech Review - A Next-Gen Monster Hunter?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

The complete tech breakdown of developer Omega Force's new action RPG. Built on its proprietary Katana Engine, the team focuses only on newer PS5, Series X and S consoles and PC here. The result? A game with incredible visual ambition - and clearly with a debt owed to the Monster Hunter template. But technical issues, such as bugs, frame-rate drops, and hitches on PC make Wild Hearts a less assured recommendation.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Dj Khaled Mtv Emas GIF by 2020 MTV EMA
Not even watched yet...but...

ungalo

Sometimes we say that Youtube compression doesn't give justice to how beautiful a game looks, but for this one we're actually very lucky.

Haven't seen a game that ugly in years, technically speaking. You can tell they wanted to make ambitious environments. But it's Omega Force, it was bound to go wrong.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Summary: 10 mins in. The game is ridden with issues. What a shame.

Edit: Full summary

BUGS:

- Keep the motion blur disabled; it's a bug.
- PS5 Resolution mode has a flickering bug.
- PS5 performance mode is fine and doesn't have that issue.

RESOLUTION MODE:

- Both PS5 and XSX render at 4K in 30 FPS with a dynamic res element (drops resolution up to half) and a locked 1080p in Performance mode.
- XSX has lower-quality ambient occlusion when compared to PS5.
- There are stutters and frame drops up to 50 FPS on PC even on a RTX 4090.
- PS5 is a locked v-sync 30 FPS in Resolution mode.
- Series X holds 30 FPS in Resolution mode well but there are frame pacing issues which feels like dropped frames while playing, even if there are none. There are some scenes where Series X drops to 29 and 28 FPS.
- Series S 30 FPS is the same. Stuttering issues and a couple of dropped frames.

SERIES S:

- Series S offers only mode and targes 900p, and a solid 30 FPS. There is no 60 FPS mode on Series S.
- Series S has even lower-quality ambient occlusion than Series X, which creates a weird white-ish environment.
- Series S has lower-quality assets. Screen-space reflection accuracy and Global Illumination are also pared back.
- Digital Foundry says "it's hard to recommend the Series S version." They believe the limited 10 GB RAM of the Series S is the biggest culprit here.

PERFORMANCE MODE:

- PS5 60 FPS mode is generally smooth but in certain heavy scenes, it drops frames from 48 to 60 FPS. But it's generally stable and Digital Foundry recommends the 60 FPS mode to PS5 users with or without VRR.
- Series X mirrors the PS5 performance closely in the 60 FPS mode and drops frames in the same heavy-duty scenes. Drops in the 40s.
- Digital Foundry managed to do a head-to-head by running in the hub area on both consoles: PS5 runs at 10-12 FPS better than Series X in the heaviest areas. In most other areas, the gap isn't this pronounced because the consoles are not being as taxed in non-hub areas.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
- New-gen and PC only. No last gen responsibilities.
- The results are often "quite eye catching"

- Texture work uses low resolution in a lot of places
- SSR is also low resolution and causes pixelation
- Series S has lower quality settings for above compared to PS5|SX
- Global shadow maps are missing entirely on the consoles for a lot of things
- AO is also missing a lot of times
- Shadow pop-in is very visible with just camera swings
- TAA method produces some of the worst motion banding DF has seen
- Wild Hearts motion blur is bugged. It seems it's better to turn it off.

Visuals:

- PS5|SX have 2 modes. Resolution and Performance
- Resolution mode targets 4K but can drop dynamically by axis dropping to half.
- Performance mode targets 1080p/60. Cut-scenes still lock to 30 FPS in this mode.
- 1080p is quite the image quality hit but still DF's recommended setting.
- No visual change besides resolution target across the 2 modes
- PS5|SX have parity in almost everything outside of 2 areas.

- On PS5, in the 4K mode, the game currently has a lot of visible texture flickering. This issue is not present in the Performance mode.
- Series X has ambient shading cut back in some areas compared to PS5.
- This is present in both modes but happens in select areas only.

- Series S only has one 30 FPS mode at 900p.
- No texture flickering issue. But uses lower resolution textures compared to PS5|SX
- Series S completely cuts out AO and SSR resolution is even lower
- Light bounce is also further stripped back

Performance:

- the PC version suffers from huge frame time spikes thanks to shader compilation stutter and hitching.
- DLSS/FSR support and performance fixes are promised in future patches

- In resolution mode
- PS5 has locked 30 FPS with V-sync
- Series X has locked 30 FPS but suffers with frame pacing issues and spikes
- Series S also suffers from frame time spikes. No other mode on Series S makes it hard to recommend.

- In performance mode
- PS5 and SX alike, open world roaming works at 60 FPS without hitch
- PS5 drops to 40 to 60 FPS in larger fights
- Series X mirrors PS5 in combat scenarios
- In the hub areas PS5 version runs at higher FPS, peak of 10~ fps.
- In practice in missions there is little to no difference
- Locked 60 FPS is off the table on any console.
- DF recommends Performance mode on either console over the 30 FPS mode.

Last edited:
Imagine buying expensive PC parts to play unoptimized and buggy ports from consoles. It seems like every big release keeps getting afterthought ports to PC while consoles are comparatively smooth running and with far less bugs.

I loved PC during the 2010 to 2017 stretch but since then it seems to get the short end of the stick.

Ceadeus

Gold Member
Makes me want to see what Capcom is cooking for us right now.

It's gonna be epic. Monster Hunter is the Original and the best.

Banned
no amount of hardware can safe you from bad and incompetent developers.
how a game that wouldn't even look good as a PS4 game can run so badly is astonishing

Last edited:

GHG

Real Housewives Of Atlanta Nene GIF by Bravo TV

The ram speed on the Series S makes things worse than I originally thought it would be. Literally just said this in another thread:

Not all workloads scale with resolution, it's a simple fact. The slower (and less) ram has the potential to hold the system back in ways that can't be resolved by simply dropping the resolution to 1080p.

Interesting times ahead, we are in uncharted territory where people are celebrating the potential of stagnation. Never thought I'd see the day but here we are.

Best case scenario is that devs treat it like they have the OG Xbox One for the latter part of this generation - it's an afterthought and it gets shit ports.

The only reason some people are happy with the system is because they think it will have the potential to help Xbox "win" a generation. It's even more nonsensical when you consider these are the people who are most likely to buy the Series X and not the S.

Here I think the problem is not bandwidth (those are Switch textures!), the problem is the amount of available ram. They have to seriously reduce resolution of every assets in order to being able to fit them in the buffers.

I gather it could render higher resolution textures but the ram simply can't store them. Few people remember but that thing has less available ram than old gen X1X! The amount a ram is the last thing you don't wan't to lack because it's a big problem and need big devs optimizations. Even on PC some expensive GPUs have problems in some games because of it.

Last edited:
What`s going on this generation?

- This game: Total mess
- Dead Space Remake : Sub 1080p internal resolution @ 60 fps
- Hogwarts legacy: Also pretty unstable 60 fps
- Evil West: Only 1080p @ 60 fps
- Gotham Knights: No comment
- Halo Infinite: No comment

And the list goes on and on. Also, I've only talked about PS5 and XSX so far. XSS is a technical disaster³.
The PC as a platform isn't much better off either, with its constant "stuttering issues" and generally poor optimization.

GHG

I gather it could render higher resolution textures but the ram simply can't store them. Few people remember but that thing has less available ram than old gen X1X! The amount a ram is the last thing you don't wan't to lack because it's a big problem and need big devs optimizations. Even on PC some expensive GPUs have problems in some games because of it.

Yep, we've seen this exact same thing happen with various GPUs on the PC side for many a year. When you run into bandwidth and/or VRAM issues the only solution is to make drastic cuts which result in a much less pleasing image overall.

Reading back through that thread is wild now. Some people really fell for the marketing BS. I've also been proven right on the knock on effect it's had on the PC GPU market.

Oh well. Hopefully it's the last time any console manufacturer attempts a stunt like this.

Last edited:

Banned
Yep, we've seen this exact same thing happen with various GPUs on the PC side for many a year. When you run into bandwidth and/or VRAM issues the only solution is to make drastic cuts which result in a much less pleasing image overall.

Reading back through that thread is wild now. Some people really fell for the marketing BS. I've also been proven right on the knock on effect it's had on the PC GPU market.

Oh well. Hopefully it's the last time any console manufacturer attempts a stunt like this.

there is NO excuse to how this game looks and runs on any system. it's a terribly made game by incompetent developers using a dogshit engine.

anyone using games like these as any indication for the performance of any hardware is absolutely out of his mind

Last edited:

GHG

there is NO excuse to how this game looks and runs on any system. it's a terribly made game by incompetent developers using a dogshit engine.

anyone using games like these as any indication for the performance of any hardware is absolutely out of his mind

It's not the only game that's had a particularly poor showing on the Series S of late. If it were the only one then you'd have a point.

Yes the game runs poorly overall but even still it's scaling as expected across the range of hardware tested.

Correct me if I'm wrong but it's not just the textures that took a hit correct?

Seems like the polygon count is reduced on the XSS. That can explain why the land resembles Clouds hair if that makes any sense.

FDiKxJVWYAQwuTi.jpg

Well it's 6.26 Gpolys/sec rasterized Series S, 7.3 Gpolys/sec rasterized Series X, and 8.92 Gpolys/sec rasterized PS5 so...maybe?

Seems like more of a background thing than character model thing though with the S here, at least from the shots I've seen (granted I haven't looked at very much at all, yet).

Pelta88

The game has some tech issue but it is crazy fun. I got my future weapon and gear builds all planned out :messenger_beaming:

RafterXL

This game is such trash in terms of IQ and tech. It seriously looks a generation behind MH:World which is over 5 years old at this point. It's the ugliest game I've played this gen and EA basically sent it out to die looking like this. Such a shame.

Fatmanp

Wtf is this dogpiling? The game runs at 1080p, looks like that and still drops frames on whatever your favourite plastic box is.

Banned
It's not the only game that's had a particularly poor showing on the Series S of late. If it were the only one then you'd have a point.

Yes the game runs poorly overall but even still it's scaling as expected across the range of hardware tested.

that has nothing to do with the hardware and everything with developers neglecting it.

the game running on a 6GB GTX1060 (~4TF)

medium at 1080p uses about 4.3GB VRAM.
it's hard to say how much system memory it uses because the overlay only displays the total memory used by windows + the game and any programs open at the moment.

memory bandwidth 192GB/s vs the 224GB/s the S has

Top Bottom