• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wild Hunt GOG + Steam sales breakdown (1.3M total)

It is.
You can copy game folder to another pc that doesnt even have steam installed and it will run no problem.

Ah, cool. So it's one of the ones where just the initial install requires an internet connection? (which is a kind of DRM, but one that no publisher can opt out of at the moment)

Haunted

I'd imagine since higher numbers are more impressive that CDPR is trying to count every sale possible here.

People are arguing that the numbers in the OP might be missing retail copies not activated on GOGG? I can't imagine they wouldn't at least try to account for those in some way.

Derp

Upset that the collector's edition / retail versions were tied to GOG (well obviously they would be) as I prefer having all my games on Steam if I can. I was actually pretty hesitant because of that. Was my first collector's edition of anything.

I like how Bethesda's games all activate on Steam regardless of whether you buy digital or retail (but it isn't surprising since they don't have their own form of DRM). Fallout 4 collector's edition here I come. Cyberpunk 2077 will be next whenever the hell that comes.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Hm, good for them, then.

I distinctly remember them going the other way on that with Witcher 2 (at launch anyway) and I just expected them to do so again with this one.

Yeah, both the original game and 2 use CEG.

Sijil

I wonder why. Seems like oversight, or perhaps their publisher mandated it.

CDPR wasn't always anti DRM, in fact they once tried to sue anyone they caught pirating Witcher 2 before they gave up and became anti DRM and started GOG.

CDPR wasn't always anti DRM, in fact they once tried to sue anyone they caught pirating Witcher 2 before they gave up and became anti DRM and started GOG.

No, they started GOG back in 2008, TW2 was released in 2011. It's true that they tried to sue pirates but they started their DRM free policy way before that. TW2 was DRM free at launch too on GOG.

Sijil

No, they started GOG back in 2008, TW2 was released in 2011. It's true that they tried to sue pirates but they started their DRM free policy way before that. TW2 was DRM free at launch too on GOG.

Oh my mistake then, as others have said DRM was mandated by distributors.

KR_remix

Also TW2 was only DRM free at launch on GoG, it came with drm on steam and physical copies iirc.

There are currently 24 games that sold more than TW3 on GOG. So each of them sold more than 700k. But I'm not sure if retail copies and keys from other stores are included in that list.

http://www.gog.com/games##sort=bestselling&page=1

I'm surprised NWN2 isn't higher since it isn't available on steam anymore. Glad that Planescape is number 1 though, as it should be.

Has anyone ever tried to figure out how much revenue CD Project RED generates from GOG? I've always wondered how profitable it is for them!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I wonder why. Seems like oversight, or perhaps their publisher mandated it.

I'm leaning towards the latter. TW3 is the first game CDPR funded itself, so naturally that would result in a stronger bargaining position vis-a-vis distribution particulars. Similarly, EA is Valve's retail distribution partner, but EA isn't mention anywhere on retail packaging as Valve handles development and marketing itself.

If you've ever wondered why the Portal 2 early release ARG didn't end on the date that was all but categorically stated by the bathysphere clue, that was due to EA, although to be fair it's not clear as to what exactly happened -- either Valve failed to run its plans past EA (understandable and entirely fair) or EA changed its mind at the eleventh hour (lol).

it looks like they could have made the game without the consoles but it would have been close. The extra profit is going to bankroll Cyberpunk and everything else.

orava

I hope other publishers look at these numbers. GOG (and the galaxy client) is great but for me it's worthless because there aren't really games there that i want.

I hope other publishers look at these numbers. GOG (and the galaxy client) is great but for me it's worthless because there aren't really games there that i want.

Heh, I bet that the fact that Witcher 3 is DRM-free yet it still sold so many copies must have most big publishers dumbfounded. "Why aren't they stealing the game?", they must be asking themselves. Who knows, maybe they'll get the message that their audience isn't comprised of crooks.

Yeah, right.

Top Bottom