• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wild Hunt GOG + Steam sales breakdown (1.3M total)

Very impressive sales, especially if we take into account that a) many retail PC copies are likely not included and b) most of them came from GOG where CDPR keeps 100% of every sale. It also tells us a few very important things about the state of the market today:

- For big games that appeal to the mainstream, multiplatform is the way to go. All three major gaming platforms (PC, PS4, XB1) need to be targeted in order to achieve the maximum number of sales. There really is no good reason to skip a platform outside of moneyhats (Tomb Raider, SFV) or gameplay/design issues (XCOM 2).

- PC gamers are more than happy to give alternative storefronts a chance, provided that they actually offer a better service and/or price than Steam. CDPR didn't need to make the Witcher 3 GOG exclusive in order to outsell Steam. They sold a lot of copies through their platform and took advantage of the sizeable Steam audience. EA, is any of this getting through to you?

- Platform warriors will keep on bundling "console" sales together in order to prove a non-existent point (uh, consoles rule, I guess?), despite the fact that the PS4 and the XB1 are two distinct, locked-down platforms with no relation whatsoever to each other aside from form factor. Maybe if the Steam Machines become a hit they can bundle game sales on them with the rest of the "console" sales and "prove" that consoles rule even harder.

belmonkey

When a company sells a game, do they tend to keep a larger percent of the money on PC compared to consoles? Was thinking of this old picture:

6a00d8341c630a53ef0120a8b7438c970b-600wi

patapuf

When a company sells a game, do they tend to keep a larger percent of the money on PC compared to consoles? Was thinking of this old picture:

6a00d8341c630a53ef0120a8b7438c970b-600wi

There's no Royalty on PC, otherwise i'd think retail costs are the same.

Digitally i think it's 30% pretty much everywhere including PSN and XBox live.

With GOG CDPR gets 100% of the money since they own the store.

Durante

Where's the "500k on Steam means 700k total at most on PC" guy now?

Anyway, they sure make a lot more money per copy on GoG than anywhere else.

cripterion

To me anyhow, that's a shocking amount of console sales.

That's my take on it too. And it inevitably means Cyberpunk won't be as ambitious as they make it out to be if they go same way they did with The Witcher 3.

I'm glad the game sold well though, it deserves it.

Saty

Great numbers. Pretty much means it's the second best-selling sku. 2 platform out-selling 1 is just what you expect, it's the unmarked situation.

Instead of treating one platform outselling two as the noteworthy scenario, some posters in threads similar to this one do that when two platform outsell one. Duh, that's the idea. When you compare 2 versions you expect them to sell more that just the one.

Durante

Also another indicator of how well SteamSpy works by the way.
(Not that we needed that really, but some people are still skeptical)

SparkTR

Great numbers. Pretty much means it's the second best-selling sku. 2 platform out-selling 1 is just what you expect, it's the unmarked situation.

Instead of treating one platform outselling two as the noteworthy scenario, some posters in threads similar to this one do that when two platform outsell one. Duh, that's the idea. When you compare 2 versions you expect them to sell more that just the one.

This is pretty much in-line with other multiplatform games, outside of the annual franchises like CoD, AC and sports games it's becoming increasingly more common for PC sales to equal other individual platforms.

For reference, this time last generation Oblivion released on one other console platform and only 10% of sales were on PC.

Cuyejo

Very impressive sales, especially if we take into account that a) many retail PC copies are likely not included and b) most of them came from GOG where CDPR keeps 100% of every sale. It also tells us a few very important things about the state of the market today:

- For big games that appeal to the mainstream, multiplatform is the way to go. All three major gaming platforms (PC, PS4, XB1) need to be targeted in order to achieve the maximum number of sales. There really is no good reason to skip a platform outside of moneyhats (Tomb Raider, SFV) or gameplay/design issues (XCOM 2).

- PC gamers are more than happy to give alternative storefronts a chance, provided that they actually offer a better service and/or price than Steam. CDPR didn't need to make the Witcher 3 GOG exclusive in order to outsell Steam. They sold a lot of copies through their platform and took advantage of the sizeable Steam audience. EA, is any of this getting through to you?

- Platform warriors will keep on bundling "console" sales together in order to prove a non-existent point (uh, consoles rule, I guess?), despite the fact that the PS4 and the XB1 are two distinct, locked-down platforms with no relation whatsoever to each other aside from form factor. Maybe if the Steam Machines become a hit they can bundle game sales on them with the rest of the "console" sales and "prove" that consoles rule even harder.

Why does the statement: it sold better on consoles, seems to annoy you so much?

What does it prove? Well I guess it depends on whatever the point you are trying to make, but it is a fact nonetheless...

Why does the statement: it sold better on consoles, seems to annoy you so much?

For two reasons:

- There is no single "console" platform. I can't play the Witcher 3 XB1 copy on a PS4 and vice versa. The PS4 and the XB1 are two distinct platforms Every time a game is announced the platforms are mentioned as "PC, PS4, XB1". Not "PC, Consoles". That is because unlike PC, where every PC that meets the minimum specs can play the game, the Microsoft and Sony platforms are not compatible with each other. Lumping all the sales together makes literally zero sense. The PS4 and XB1 have nothing in common aside from form factor. Hardware, software, online services, everything is different.

- It is my personal observation and not in any way indicative of the total console gamer audience that part of said audience enjoys platform wars and will take any chance at belittling the PS4 or the XB1, with one notable exception: as soon as the PC is brought up there is often an impressive display of solidarity on display where the previous bitter enemies join together to fight the common foe. It's quite amusing to watch.

King_Moc

Banned
I figured the gog version would outsell the steam one. Good on cdpr for that. And given that that's 1/3 of the total sales, I think that confirms that the PC version has outsold the XB1 version too. PC gaming is dead indeed.

Almighty

So anyone know how many game codes Nvidia normally moves when they do their promotions like they did with the Witcher 3?

CTLance

Yay for gog - although this was expected since CDPR tried their best to push people towards their own store (combined with the comparatively tiny but steadily growing genuine gog fan base).

Also, that's some good numbers for Witcher 3.

Asmodai48

I remember in the other thread about the 4 mil witcher 3 sales, some people thinking GoG only had like 200,000 sales... Good call.

Striek

Where's the "500k on Steam means 700k total at most on PC" guy now?

Anyway, they sure make a lot more money per copy on GoG than anywhere else.

I assume he, like me, was not counting Nvidia redemption as sales for the purpose of comparing these storefronts? I got mine by purchasing a 980, but I'd have almost assuredly bought it off Steam otherwise.

erawsd

For two reasons:

- There is no single "console" platform. I can't play the Witcher 3 XB1 copy on a PS4 and vice versa. The PS4 and the XB1 are two distinct platforms Every time a game is announced the platforms are mentioned as "PC, PS4, XB1". Not "PC, Consoles". That is because unlike PC, where every PC that meets the minimum specs can play the game, the Microsoft and Sony platforms are not compatible with each other. Lumping all the sales together makes literally zero sense. The PS4 and XB1 have nothing in common aside from form factor. Hardware, software, online services, everything is different.

I agree. Its an observation thats about as useful as lumping PC and Xbox sales together and saying that a game "sold better on Microsoft platforms".

bombshell

2:1 in the UK? That seems...unusual... The install base split here doesn't match that, and didn't Microsoft have exclusive marketing rights to the game?

Yeah, that split is bigger than the install base split in the UK.

To my numbers can actually be added that in US May NPD, PS4 sold 60% of Witcher 3, XB1+PC sold 40%. Retail only, of course.

I assume he, like me, was not counting Nvidia redemption as sales for the purpose of comparing these storefronts? I got mine by purchasing a 980, but I'd have almost assuredly bought it off Steam otherwise.

Most of the GoG codes aren't Nvidia codes. Maybe a chunk but not most.

Literally any place you purchased the game that wasn't the Steam Store was a GoG code. Amazon, Green Man Gaming, Gamestop, Best Buy, any digital key seller, any physical copy in the world, they were all GoG codes.

Not to mention a lot of big Witcher / CD Projekt Red fans bought from GoG for the sole purpose of giving CD Projekt Red more of their money in support of them.

Striek

Most of the GoG codes aren't Nvidia codes. Maybe a chunk but not most.

Literally any place you purchased the game that wasn't the Steam Store was a GoG code. Amazon, Green Man Gaming, Gamestop, Best Buy, any digital key seller, any physical copy in the world, they were all GoG codes.
We'll never know without the receipts, but I'm willing to bet that Steam is far more popular than all those vendors combined and that Nvidia codes make up a very large chunk of GoG owners, and after those and VPN abuse is accounted for a small sliver is made up of (near) full price purchases through GoG or other digital storefronts.

Durante

Or, you know, retail sales.

Witcher 2 sold 75% at retail in its first 6 months. Assuming that its followup would sell less than 20% at retail (which would need to be the case for a 500k Steam / 700k total scenario) -- never mind all other digital platforms -- always seemed way off.

Best thing about this is the data it gives GOG to show to other publishers - "we sold a game DRM-free and more then 1.3M people bought it week one."

We'll never know without the receipts, but I'm willing to bet that Steam is far more popular than all those vendors combined and that Nvidia codes make up a very large chunk of GoG owners, and after those and VPN abuse is accounted for a small sliver is made up of (near) full price purchases through GoG or other digital storefronts.

How many 900 series GPU's do you think Nvidia sold in a month?

That will answer your question.

Berto

Great numbers, but those aren't all, right?
Because not everyone is using GOG Galaxy to play the game even if he bought his copy on GOG, no? And not everyone who bought the retail copy used the GOG code.. So the numbers for the PC version after two weeks should be higher than 1,23 mil., right?
Correct. I know a bunch of people that bought physicaly and even on GOG but are not using galaxy. PC numbers should be easily pass 1,50 mil mark.

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
Correct. I know a bunch of people that bought physicaly and even on GOG but are not using galaxy. PC numbers should be easily pass 1,50 mil mark.

Correct me if I am wrong, but gog galaxy has nothing to do with the numbers, it's more about if you have the game in your library especially if you got it retail (using the redeem code), right?

Striek

How many 900 series GPU's do you think Nvidia sold in a month?

That will answer your question.
I've no basis for answering that question, I assume theres a good, significant number of people like myself who bought a new GPU recently for the game.

Didn't every first print retail edition require a day one update? If I were GoG you can bet I would include them all in my figures for Galaxy whether they utilize the client or not.

Sijil

It's not like Nvidia got the Witcher 3 promo codes for free, CDPR still took money for the codes when they signed whatever contract they did.

Striek

It's not like Nvidia got the Witcher 3 promo codes for free, CDPR still took money for the codes when they signed whatever contract they did.

For sure, I just wouldn't count them towards any emerging popularity that Galaxy has created for GoG. Though I just re-read Durantes post and hes talking about total PC sales, whereas I've been referring to the split between Steam and GoG.

pa22word

Best thing about this is the data it gives GOG to show to other publishers - "we sold a game DRM-free and more then 1.3M people bought it week one."
They also arbitrarily put DRM into another version of their game in order to bolster sales on a platform they control royalties on.

I mean good for them for selling a DRM free version and running a DRM free site, but let's not pretend they do it for the goodness of their hearts please, otherwise they'd rip the DRM out of their steam versions and sell it DRM free there too, because they can if they wanted to.

Aegus

It's not as if they get any cut for pc sales.

I'm trying to mock people who like slicing numbers up to support whatever viewpoint they have. I know it's stupid to lump PC and XBox ales together. Just like it's stupid to lump PS4 and XBox sales together.

Denton

They also arbitrarily put DRM into another version of their game in order to bolster sales on a platform they control royalties on.

I mean good for them for selling a DRM free version and running a DRM free site, but let's not pretend they do it for the goodness of their hearts please, otherwise they'd rip the DRM out of their steam versions and sell it DRM free there too, because they can if they wanted to.
Steam version is drm free too.
What were you saying again?

Sijil

Isn't that like $35 million just from GOG sales?

Yeah and add to that the Steam numbers and you'll get over 50 million $ of course you have to subtract Valve's 30% cut and then you have retail cuts for GOG boxed which we do not know how much it is and how many boxed copies account for boxed copies. In the end given the budget for the game which was pointed out earlier to be in the 30 million $ range all I see is PC not only breaking even by itself but making profit as well.

But of course you'll have people around here to downplay this, and lump together X1+PS4 sales in their effort to justify it.

Steam's not DRM-free?

martino

- It is my personal observation and not in any way indicative of the total console gamer audience that part of said audience enjoys platform wars and will take any chance at belittling the PS4 or the XB1, with one notable exception: as soon as the PC is brought up there is often an impressive display of solidarity on display where the previous bitter enemies join together to fight the common foe. It's quite amusing to watch.

It's common for animals.Unconscious wild reaction to threat/fear.

JK

Top Bottom