• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wildman, Gas Powered Games Kickstarter Action RPG

R1CHO

Give Chris Taylor money sight unseen?

Fuck. No.

Come on, at least it's going to be fun. I would give the money just to watch some videos of Chris feeding the horsez.

AvAge.gif

Shai-Tan

Banned
Supreme Commander is my favorite RTS (looking forward to Planetary Annihilation from the other guys who worked on it) but I have no idea what this game will be like from reading the pitch. It isn't clear at all how it will play from moment to moment.

Loved Supreme Commander. From what they're saying about the gameplay, it sounds like Wildman is an RTS with some direct control elements, a woefully underused concept (Battlezone II, Sacrifice, Savage sorta.) Awesome. I hope the RPG elements aren't DOTA style. I got DOTA 2 for that. I want to control a hero unit like an action game once I plan out and initiate my strategy with my units. Sins of a Dark Age recently took out a lot of their RTS ideas. That was disappointing.

I might pitch in at a later date depending on how the kickstarter progresses.

If you're interested in this, then it's a much much better idea to pitch in now, and remove your pledge later on if your not satisfied with the progress. Since they don't take any money from you while the kickstarter is running, it's better to show support now and make the pledges go up.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Even after going through the materials I have no idea what these guys are going for beyond the aesthetic. It is really hard to feel like these kind of Kickstarters aren't a scam for underdeveloped ideas that publishers won't touch.

Wiktor

I like how it sounds. Always hated the pure action-RPG combat. It's boring as hell. To make it interesting they need to either make it more action-game like or add whole armies and make i RTS-like. And since nobody has done mix of RPG and RTS properly in quite some time, then I'm all in for Wildman.

Rootbeer

Banned
Not feeling the art direction or the concept. I like action rpgs but this feels so totally vanilla and safe. All that combined with the fact gas powered games has been all downhill since the first Dungeon Siege (alright, Supreme Commander almost turned it around, but not quite)... how they have survived so long does baffle. Easy pass for me. If it turns out good I might get it down the road.

Izayoi

Banned
Almost everyone who worked on Total Annihilation other than Chris himself left after Forged Alliance, and none of their games since have been very good... I'm apprehensive at best.

gabbo

Almost everyone who worked on Total Annihilation other than Chris himself left after Forged Alliance, and none of their games since have been very good... I'm apprehensive at best.

How many were even left by the time SupCom was released?

They need to explain the game concept a bit better, but so far it's a pretty good kickstarter.

*An original title
*Lots of work already put into it
*Gameplay footage posted within days
*Moved quickly to dismiss DRM,
*Lots of activity in the comments section on the kickstarter page, good job answering questions

okiemok

Well, it looks like the Kickstarter is finally getting back on track with the game after the whole layoff thing. He has posted an update with some images of

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gaspoweredgames/wildman-an-evolutionary-action-rpg/posts/390986

"A Level In TheEditor"
image-203983-full.jpg

"Running the level in the engine".
image-203984-full.jpg

He is caveating these are with the "old renderer", or some such thing. I think they are moving towards OpenGL.

Also, yesterday they did a reddit AMA, and he mentioned Sup Com and mistakes made, as well as talks about money and his company.

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/170j68/i_am_chris_taylor_founderceo_of_gas_powered_games/

They are now over $300K

gabbo

It's a good description of what they have in mind.
Who knew watching Chris Taylor draw on some chart paper would be so interesting.

freddy

Banned
It actually remind me of all those custom campaigns from places like Heaven Games.

Some of the best of these were RTS-ARPG Hybrids.

Deadstar

At first I only backed this because it was GPG, but after that explanation video, I'm really excited. Things do not look good at the moment but I really hope this gets backed. It sounds incredible. Though who knows if 1 million is enough to make the game awesome, they were probably hoping for a lot more.

Has there been a game like what they are describing?

At first I only backed this because it was GPG, but after that explanation video, I'm really excited. Things do not look good at the moment but I really hope this gets backed. It sounds incredible. Though who knows if 1 million is enough to make the game awesome, they were probably hoping for a lot more.

Has there been a game like what they are describing?

Warcraft III maybe?

SnipeyMcGee

Pretty boring concept. Sure, I hope I'm wrong and it turns out to be a great, interesting game- but I'm struggling to care about this one. Also surprised that Gas Powered is still around.

Deadstar

Pretty boring concept. Sure, I hope I'm wrong and it turns out to be a great, interesting game- but I'm struggling to care about this one. Also surprised that Gas Powered is still around.

You think so? I'm trying to wrap my head around it. It seems kind of like a dota/diablo/rts hybrid. You control a hero that levels up and uses items (Diablo), waves of enemies move back and forth on the battlefield (dota) and you can place building on the map (rts). It's hard for me to imagine if it will be fun or not to play but it does sound interesting to me. Especially if each base had a different looking enemy type and different technology.

DocSeuss

The art style reminds me a bit of Age of Empires Online... which makes sense, because Age of Empires Online was worked on by both GPG and Robot.

TrutaS

Just backed it up. Even if the game isn't really compelling yet, the team deserves some recognition and trust. Hope they get funded.

1/4 of the money with two weeks to go, despite the begging video? I have my doubts about this succeeding, but I wish that guy luck and hope he gets his company back together

Deadstar

The mod tools look pretty cool. Could be fun to work on a mod with friends using the infinite desktop. Infinite desktop looks awesome too.

Top Bottom