• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wildman, Gas Powered Games Kickstarter Action RPG

Frogacuda

Banned
I dunno... If this group can successfully attain a million dollars for their MMORPG project, you would imagine that a higher profile developer like Gas Powered might have a pretty good shot at it.

Pathfinder made it because of the blind loyalty and poor frontal encephalization of its fan base. The average pledge was like $126. And they didn't even need the money to make the game.

Durante

Honestly, "from the creators of dungeon siege" does more to discourage me from pledging to a kickstarter for an action RPG than motivate me.

1stStrike

Banned
Yea, it definitely needs a major awareness push in the next week.

I just honestly don't see it happening. The trending charts are generally pretty accurate, and with the way things are going, they'll end up short by a few hundred thousand.

With this kind of game/concept, 1.1 mill is really pushing it. Don't get me wrong, I want them to succeed and would definitely at least play the game to see how I liked it, but most people are iffy on the actual concept of the game itself right now which isn't working in their favor at all.

okiemok

It looks like Kickstarters generally experience a huge push in the last week. The questions are will they be close enough to take advantage of the push and will that push be enough to put them over the top. Pathfiunder online was moving in a very similar trend to Wildman. They gained over $400K in the last 5 days. PA (which had a very different trend obviously) did over $600K in their last 5 days. IMHO, I think it will be shockingly close and fun to watch.

They are running a live Q&A session Monday at 1pm PST.

EDIT: evidently the stream starts at 12PST, Taylor to be on at 1PST

Here's the forum where people are posting questions:

http://forums.gaspowered.com/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=61485

Here's the llink to the stream (Twitch TV):

http://www.twitch.tv/gaspoweredgames

MachoSuave

Neo Member
How can you see art like this and not send them all of your money, goddamn.

image-208371-full.jpg
image-208370-full.jpg

The comments section seems to have amassed a small crew of dedicated fans spreading the word about the net, you'd think with that and all these interviews the project would have a little more traction. I think they may need something big and bold stating there's far more to the concept than was initially thought, there just seems to be an awful stigma about the company after an initially poor introduction, misinterpreted lay-offs and the AoEO confusion (gg MS).
A damn shame, really.

Deadstar

[IMG said:

You forgot this one. Dinosaurs! This game is going to be incredible. I'm loving more with each reveal. No idea why people aren't throwing money at this. Sure, it didn't make sense at first, but when you understand the concept it's great. Kind of a Diablo type game where you can control waypoints from unit buildings that your creeps come out of.

You will be able to morph into a lion or leopard as seen above. Incredible stuff!

Munin

By not being interested in the product they're offering. Make another Supreme Commander and I'm in.

Why make another of a game that exists already anyway? I never understood why innovative game concepts get kicked to the curb in favor of nostalgia or "let's do another one exactly like this" projects on Kickstarter.

Purkake4

Banned
Why make another of a game that exists already anyway? I never understood why innovative game concepts get kicked to the curb in favor of nostalgia or "let's do another one exactly like this" projects on Kickstarter.
ARPGs are dime a dozen, even if this one comes with some extra gimmicks, large-scale RTSs are pretty much extinct.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Because people want it? Planetary Annihilation had no problems getting Kickstarted.

Deadstar

There's nothing samey about Wildman....I guess people still don't understand the concept? Your wildman is your diablo like character and you explore a giant world. You approach an enemy base and start attacking it. Enemies start attacking you that come out of buildings like creeps in Dota. You then can start building buildings for your own creep waves and you can direct them with waypoints, controlling where your creeps go.

So there are a ton of enemy creeps fighting your creeps as well as your Wildman getting in on the action as well as the enemy warlord. I guess it's hard to explain since it's never been done before. The world is seamless. You'll move from area to area fighting new characters and looting new technology from enemy warlords.

It's a little confusing to be honest but it does sound really awesome and you can't really compare it to anything that's ever been made.

freddy

Banned
So there are a ton of enemy creeps fighting your creeps as well as your Wildman getting in on the action as well as the enemy warlord. I guess it's hard to explain since it's never been done before. The world is seamless. You'll move from area to area fighting new characters and looting new technology from enemy warlords.

It's a little confusing to be honest but it does sound really awesome and you can't really compare it to anything that's ever been made.

Powermonger?

MachoSuave

Neo Member
ARPGs are dime a dozen, even if this one comes with some extra gimmicks, large-scale RTSs are pretty much extinct.

I think you're getting your wording mixed up there, decent diablo-clones aren't dime-a-dozen, in fact before Torchlight they were just as dead as the large-scale RTS, and even since then the only notable titles have been Diablo 3 and Torchlight 2. What they are however is incredibly same-y, which is what GPG is trying to tackle here, it's not a gimmick, it's half of the experience and looks really interesting to me.

Also Chris already stated if they wanted to make a large scale RTS (specifically K&C) it would cost a hell of a lot more than what PA was asking for or even ended up with and with Uber already beating them to the punch, it would've been far greater a risk to take than what Wildman has been. He also stated he's interested in seeing if they'll be able to stay in budget with the scale they're going for, but some have already drawn the link that he may have been under the assumption they were including a campaign, which they aren't, or making specific maps instead of having procedurally generated planets, which they aren't, so hopefully they'll make it.

prudislav

Yeah, I would have put real money into Kings and Castles instead of just the preorder tier I did for this. Too many samey games and I was really pumped for Kings and Castles.
If Wilman succed there will be more chance to revive Kings and Castles - but if it fails - Kings and Castles will be doomed as well

Wiktor

Yeah, I would have put real money into Kings and Castles instead of just the preorder tier I did for this. Too many samey games and I was really pumped for Kings and Castles.

But they would need AFAIR 5mln dollars for it. There's no way it would ever reach this much.

adixon

I just pledged a few days ago... feel bad for waiting so long, but the game didn't particularly appeal to me. Definitely about keeping GPG alive at this point for me, as well as giving them a chance to make something creative (which even if this game doesn't have a hook for me, it is at the very least a creative recombining of genres, and could turn out fun.)

okiemok

Final 5 days. Looks like they have Half a million, slightly less than half. PLedge amounts have increased over the last couple of days, but it will be a long shot.

ymmv

Banned
I dunno... If this group can successfully attain a million dollars for their MMORPG project, you would imagine that a higher profile developer like Gas Powered might have a pretty good shot at it.

The big difference is that Pathfinder has 3700 supporters pledging $100 and 700 supporters pledging $175. Wildman doesn't have that kind of support and therefore is just halfway there despite having more backers.

There's fat chance this kickstarter will make it to the finish line - unless a miracle occurs. But I don't see it happening at the current pace. The worst bit about a failed kickstarter is that Gas Powered Games will close because they've run out of funds. Such a shitty way to go ...

ymmv

Banned
Breaking news: Wildman is canceled. I just got a project update:

We have some news today. We are canceling the Wildman Kickstarter.
At this point, it makes sense for us to focus our attention on other ways to keep Gas Powered Games running.
Unfortunately, we are unable to share any specifics in public. When we have news to share, we will be posting it on our site. If you want status updates, or if you want to continue discussing Wildman and/or this Kickstarter, please consider migrating over to forums.gaspowered.com.
We are profoundly grateful to those of you who backed this project and Gas Powered Games. Your passion and hard work put us in a position to write this exciting new chapter in the history of GPG.

1stStrike

Banned

I'm hoping they do manage to salvage the studio and keep things running. Honestly, Chris looks like shit, which means he was probably up all weekend stressing over this. I thought he was going to break into tears a couple times in the video.

Those guys working there must all be pretty stressed too, since they don't know how much longer they'll be employed (and he said some of them have been there for like 15 years).

Whether you like the studio or the games they put out, the fact remains, it's sad to see them in a situation like this. Either way, I hope they pull through.

Purkake4

Banned
Ooh interesting.

This is obviously sad news, but there was obviously not enough interest for the project. I hope they come back with a new different one. Kickstarter shouldn't be "give us money or everyone gets fired".

Zen

Banned

There was also an absurdly high chance that they weren't going to raise over half a million dollars in 4 freaking says. The Kickstarter was an idea for keeping the company afloat, clearly it wasn't going to work.

Maybe they found a publisher for it but it doesn't sound like it.

Concept17

Because people want it? Planetary Annihilation had no problems getting Kickstarted.

I don't think anyone, at least not enough people, would want another Supreme Commander. Not under that name. Maybe similar concepts with a new skin, sure. But I imagine SC didn't actually do them many favors as far as keeping their company alive.

Purkake4

Banned
I don't think anyone, at least not enough people, would want another Supreme Commander. Not under that name. Maybe similar concepts with a new skin, sure. But I imagine SC didn't actually do them many favors as far as keeping their company alive.
It's not really about the SupCom IP specifically, as I said above, the large-scale RTS is pretty much dead. It doesn't matter how you package it, but having tactical missiles, nukes that don't instantly end the game, giant energy shields and non-gimmicky experimental units does create a unique gameplay experience.

There is so much more you could do with that concept instead of butting into the bust ARPG market.

freddy

Banned

We are profoundly grateful to those of you who backed this project and Gas Powered Games. Your passion and hard work put us in a position to write this exciting new chapter in the history of GPG

Well at least this bit sounds like their might be some interest from somewhere in publishing circles. Maybe...

Top Bottom