• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wildman, Gas Powered Games Kickstarter Action RPG

1stStrike

Banned
Oh man, those modding tools look amazing.

The modding community should be all over that just for the tools alone - the potential there is enormous.

dukeoflegs

I'm glad they final showed this off, it blew me away with what they wanted to achieve with it when I first saw it, and I really think if they had some time and money they could do something exceptional.

Purkake4

Banned
Nice that they finally got off THQ's leash.

However, not interested in this in the least. Would pledge for an actual SupCom sequel, soo many amazing ideas there.

MachoSuave

Neo Member
Okay, gave it a shot. Never made a thread 'round these parts before, can I get marks out of ten before I post this, please:

Project Mercury/Infinite Desktop: GPG's cross-platform, unified desktop environment powered by HTML5

I'm gonna be clear with you guys: I know the square root of bugger-all about how HTML5 works, the amount of access it has to your hardware or the power/potential behind it, but if GPG's new project is anything to go by, it's looking pretty sweet.

From what I can see, we're looking at the product of a simple idea that popped into Chris Taylor's head one day: What if Supreme Commander were a desktop environment? Starting as a mod platform on which they've built either all or parts of Wildman within, it seems to have grown quite a bit.
To learn more, have some videos:
Wildman video update featuring the tools [Game thread here]
Hour long Mattchat (Not specifically about PM, but if you like GPG/Chris Taylor at all and/or want to know what's really going on behind the scenes with his criminally under-funded, damn-cool Kickstarter project , this is a must-see) [thread here]

Hype points:
  • Modular development environment: Something broken and you can't pinpoint the problem? No need to rollback everything, just the program the problem originated from.
  • Hugeass desktop: Strategic view all up in here, run a gorillion programs at once.
  • Cross-platform: Supposedly good to go on Windows, Mac and Linux.
  • Cloud support: Done at work? Go home, fire up your home PC and bam, everything's there: running programs, windows placement, the lot.
  • Instant resume: Program crash? Ctrl+R, you're back up and running... mostly.
  • Good for multiple games: I'm not too clear on how this would work, but this will either simplify the development of mod tools, or act as an all-encompassing mod tool for a few/many/a lot of games straight out-of-the-box from the sound of it.
No release plans seem to be confirmed as of right now, but going by that update vid it sounds like project-backers will be getting the first test, possibly.
Also not to sound like a marketer (just a big GPG fan), but these guys' days are numbered. You like the look of this you might want to also look into the kickstarter project and consider backing if the game takes your fancy as well.
Also also: It's not a MOBA, damnit. If you feel like jumping in and bashing it for being "just another MOBA" riding the Dota2/LoL/F2P cash-train, please take a moment to educate yourself.

Not sure what makes a good thread a good thread, don't want to screw up something basic and have the thread derail into semantics due to a tiny error in the title or something as often happens around here.

1stStrike

Banned
Ah, can junior's not start threads? Wasn't aware of that.
If that's the case I'd be happy for someone else to take it and use it/tweak it/run with it.
Text with HTML formatting here: http://pastebin.com/jWu4xwVY

Nope, need to post more so you become a member. Once you hit that then you can make new threads.

It's so that new Juniors don't come onto the forum and start spamming stupid ass threads :p

I'd be happy to post it up for you and give you credit if you like. It's an interesting topic, for sure.

MachoSuave

Neo Member
Nope, need to post more so you become a member. Once you hit that then you can make new threads.

It's so that new Juniors don't come onto the forum and start spamming stupid ass threads :p

I'd be happy to post it up for you and give you credit if you like. It's an interesting topic, for sure.

Well, I can appreciate that, also stops marketers from jumping in and spamming the place up too I guess. If you could do that, that'd be great, cheers. It is a little opinionated though so you may want to watch out and/or edit for that, just in case anyone takes those words as your own.

1stStrike

Banned
Thanks a lot, man, nicely tweaked.

No prob! It'll probably be a 1 page-r (not very popular) but it's still worth posting up :)

I've pledged, hoping this kickstarter turns around for Chris and his team, they are a talented bunch.

They have actually been getting a good amount of pledges throughout the day, so glad to see another person stepping up to the plate. It's not 500k in a day, but the money is definitely coming in. With 17 days left, hope is most certainly not lost.

ToxicAdam

Why would anyone give money to a bunch of guys who put their name on Space Siege? I'm going to assume many people never played it or forgot about it.

Ugh, what a hunk of shit that game was.

Purkake4

Banned
Why would anyone give money to a bunch of guys who put their name on Space Siege? I'm going to assume many people never played it or forgot about it.

Yup, it's not like Dungeon Siege was masterpiece either. Really scraping the bottom of the IP barrel here...

PFD

I loved Dungeon Siege 1. Never played the sequels.

gabbo

The first DS was flawed but enjoyable. The 2nd was more of the same, and I can't say I ever played Space Siege.

ToxicAdam

Both DS games were a lot of fun though. Perhaps not spectacular but still nice enough. Space Siege is one of the worst games I've played.

Dungeon Siege benefitted greatly from when it was released, rather than what it was. There just wasn't many other diablo clones out at that point and people were starving for more. Don't get me wrong, I liked it and put 60 hours into it, but there was no real imagination or inspiration into the game at all. The story, the skill tree, the fight mechanics, the setting. It was all pretty boilerplate stuff.

The biggest insult is that they never tried to do more with DS2. It was literally just more of the same, but with prettier art.

Purkake4

Banned
Dungeon Siege benefitted greatly from when it was released, rather than what it was. There just wasn't many other diablo clones out at that point and people were starving for more. Don't get me wrong, I liked it and put 60 hours into it, but there was no real imagination or inspiration into the game at all. The story, the skill tree, the fight mechanics, the setting. It was all pretty boilerplate stuff.

The biggest insult is that they never tried to do more with DS2. It was literally just more of the same, but with prettier art.
Co-signed.

The really cool thing about DS was the loading-less world.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I got DS2 for free and couldn't be bothered to play it for more than a couple hours. I really have no interest in another ARPG from that studio.

Deadstar

The new video update says that if this is successful we can possibly see Kings & Castles in the future. I can't even imagine how awesome a medieval rts game in the scale of SupCom would be.

I think it's possible this might hit it's goal. It's a real slow burn but I think people are starting to get excited for it.

1stStrike

Banned
The new video update says that if this is successful we can possibly see Kings & Castles in the future. I can't even imagine how awesome a medieval rts game in the scale of SupCom would be.

I think it's possible this might hit it's goal. It's a real slow burn but I think people are starting to get excited for it.

It's definitely increasing in backers. Gone up several thousand dollars since yesterday. When I first backed it they were around 6600 backers and it's almost up to 7,000 now.

Purkake4

Banned
The latest Three Moves Ahead podcast has Chris Taylor on along wish some semi-bitter tears about retro remakes getting more kickstarter buzz than his innovation.

Deadstar

The latest Three Moves Ahead podcast has Chris Taylor on along wish some semi-bitter tears about retro remakes getting more kickstarter buzz than his innovation.

This podcast was really great. Anyone interested in Supreme Commander should check it out. Chris talks about what went wrong in SupCom2 and what they would do if they made SupCom3.

An interesting point he made was that unique types of games are hard to describe because they haven't been done before, so there isn't something to compare them to. Which is why, at least from his perspective it's been difficult to explain what Wildman is.

freddy

Banned
Chris Taylor from Update 8 said:
If Wildman is successfully funded will Kings and Castles eventually see the light of day? And the answer is, absolutely.

Ok people, put some money into this, please.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Ok people, put some money into this, please.
That's not the right way to do it. If they want to make Kings and Castles then they need to Kickstart it directly. GPG is not guaranteed nor obligated to do K&C if they get money for Wildman.

freddy

Banned
That's not the right way to do it. If they want to make Kings and Castles then they need to Kickstart it directly. GPG is not guaranteed nor obligated to do K&K if they get money for Wildman.

The quote is from Chris Taylor from GPG so you argue with him the way he phrases his words.

I imagine what he's getting at is the obvious. If Wildman fails then there's little chance of seeing Kings and Castles. If it succeeds then the chances are slightly better and he would be optimistic.

Gannd

Banned
When I was 17, I e-mailed Chris Taylor after seeing DS at E3 2000 about getting into the games industry. He wrote me the nicest e-mail back so I'm going to buy anything he releases. I hope he gets funding, really good people.

This podcast was really great. Anyone interested in Supreme Commander should check it out. Chris talks about what went wrong in SupCom2 and what they would do if they made SupCom3.

An interesting point he made was that unique types of games are hard to describe because they haven't been done before, so there isn't something to compare them to. Which is why, at least from his perspective it's been difficult to explain what Wildman is.

It was a fantastic podcast. Chris Taylor has such enthusiasm, and damn it if the man hasn't helmed some absolute classics. The SupCom/SupCom2 part was immensely fascinating. What a damned if you do/damned if you don't predicament.

As it stands, SupCom2 is one of my absolute favourite RTS games - particularly for co-op. Nice to hear Troy Goodfellow feels the same!

Anyway, Wildman!

MachoSuave

Neo Member
Here is an hour interview that is almost all talk about the game
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zokY_7x7374

Thanks, good vid, lots of gameplay talk.

I think I now have both a clearer idea of how this plays and have considerably more hype it for than I do 99% of the games I buy into, and yet the chances of it actually happening are hovering on 1%.
At least it's put Chris back in the spotlight, something my life had been sorely missing since the K&C blogs stopped.

Also: more dinomen art
image-207098-full.jpg

Frogacuda

Banned
I hope they pull through, but I feel like they really screwed themselves with the gloom and doom announcement.

Personally, I would never give to a KS to a company who is that on the verge. It puts them in a spot where they have no money for overruns or additional bug testing or anything unanticipated. The risk of failure feels extremely high without some kind of revenue stream to fall back on. At least enough to cover a couple extra months if need be.

I know that seems to run very counter to the indie spirit of Kickstarter, but that's just how game development goes.

okiemok

Personally, I would never give to a KS to a company who is that on the verge. It puts them in a spot where they have no money for overruns or additional bug testing or anything unanticipated. The risk of failure feels extremely high without some kind of revenue stream to fall back on. At least enough to cover a couple extra months if need be.

I have heard things like this before and this thinking confuses me for a couple of reasons in this case:

1. The members of this studio are not novices at game design and project management. I think this studio has been around for 15 years. The might know what they can and cannot do. This is why they are asking for a minimum amount that is fairly high. It is the least they need.

2. Regarding other projects, I certainly would not assume stability just because they haven't said they have issues. Aren't mostl unfunded projects really high risk of failure, where they will not get completed if they are not funded? If they don't make the goal, they can't make the game.

Seems like the risk is only recognized when the company makes their status transparent as they have in this case. I suspect the odds of this project completing on this budget are greater than many others at the same level?

Another point to add about this particular instance from a risk perspective, Taylor has already stated know they more than likely will need more funding to complete it. He has also stated they do not have any debts. Seems to me that this project would fair better than most.

Effect

With more details now being provided I wonder if he has approach any publishers or does he simply not want to do that no matter what? Not just the western ones but perhaps some fo the Japanese ones with the possibility having to turn it from a PC game to a console one (maybe a digital only game)?

Frogacuda

Banned
1. The members of this studio are not novices at game design and project management. I think this studio has been around for 15 years. The might know what they can and cannot do. This is why they are asking for a minimum amount that is fairly high. It is the least they need.
This had nothing to do with the talented folks at GPG. Overruns in game development are commonplace, even expected. Making a game for the bare minimum amount without any resources to cover the unforseen is very dangerous.

2. Regarding other projects, I certainly would not assume stability just because they haven't said they have issues. Aren't mostl unfunded projects really high risk of failure, where they will not get completed if they are not funded? If they don't make the goal, they can't make the game.
Oh, I think you misunderstood me. I'm not saying they need to be able to cover the WHOLE development (in fact, if they had THAT much, I probably wouldn't feel charitable for the opposite reason).

I just mean that even for experienced producers, it's difficult to impossible to keep a game to an exact budget with certainty, and if they're literally 2 or 3 weeks from being bust, that's just not enough to cover any need for delays or further QA toward the end of the project.

Seems like the risk is only recognized when the company makes their status transparent as they have in this case. I suspect the odds of this project completing on this budget are greater than many others at the same level?
It's true, we might not always know, but if you look at a lot of the devs that succeeded, like Double Fine, Obsidian, Uber, inXile, etc... they have income from existing products coming in, and they can cover overages if it's necessary. They're not on the verge of bankruptcy if they have to extend development for a month.

Anyway, I hope they succeed, and I'm glad people are giving, but it just seems too risky to me. Either that they'll be unable to complete it, or that they'll have to rush it out before it's ready because they're out of money.

Havoc2049

With more details now being provided I wonder if he has approach any publishers or does he simply not want to do that no matter what? Not just the western ones but perhaps some fo the Japanese ones with the possibility having to turn it from a PC game to a console one (maybe a digital only game)?

According to the Matt Chat interview, publishers were dropping all the titles Gas Powered Games were working on and they couldn't find a publisher for any of their games. This kickstarter is basically a last ditch effort to save the company. If Wildman doesn't fund, it sounds like it's "Game Over" for Gas Powered Games. As it is, it sounds like they are already down to a skeleton crew.

okiemok

Christopher Roberts of Star Citizen and Wing Commander fame endorsed the Wildman project yesterday and encouraged his followers to support it. It looks like they got a bump from that.

freddy

Banned
Maybe they can do some more things with social sites and Reddit. It seemed to work wonders for that Molyneaux game in the latter stages.

Top Bottom