• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will Final Fantasy 16 be what people wanted from God of War Ragnarok?

In terms of large scale, epic fights between gods and tiny humans trapped beneath them?

Final-Fantasy-16-Odin-vs-Bahamut-Cover.jpg

GymWolf

Since large enemies gimmicky boss fights that are all spectacle and zero substance are the parts i hate more in gow games, i sincerely fucking hope for a resounding no.

Go_Ly_Dow

God of War Ragnarock was forgetful and Ragnarock itself was very disappointing after all the build up. Anti-climactic game. It seemed limited by the PS4 and creative talent

The Garuda boss fight and set piece from the new FFXVI footage excited me more than any of the fights I came across in modern GOW. Imagine what they will do with Odin or Bahamut and other boss fights.

Last edited:
No, because youre not a tiny man defeating large enemies. I find it boring af when you're just a giant god fighting another giant god. No sense of achievement tbh. On the other hand like say classic GoW or Souls games, you're just a strong normal sized man, facing overwhelming bosses. Now thats epic.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
As long as FFXVI allows us to squeeze through a tight space, kill 5 or 6 enemies, squeeze through another tight space, be faced with a simple puzzle involving rerouting some water to a water wheel, yet 5 seconds after arriving at said puzzle a companion goes "HEY! I bet that water needs to be flowing over that waterwheel! HAW!"

Last edited:

ToTTenTranz

Banned
In terms of large scale, epic fights between gods and tiny humans trapped beneath them?
This is not what "people" wanted from God of War Ragnarok.
It might be what you wanted from that game and that's fine, but considering its critical acclaim from audiences you're very clearly a tiny minority.

"People" already got from God of War Ragnarok what they wanted.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Yes, I really dislike the fact that Kratos is this rough-and-tough rugged warrior with multiple battle wounds. I want a perfect Korean K-Pop boy with clear skin and not a blemish on his face. He also needs to have voluminous shiny hair and...

Oh, you were talking about gameplay? Probably not.

EN250

Since large enemies gimmicky boss fights that are all spectacle and zero substance are the parts i hate more in gow games, i sincerely fucking hope for a resounding no.

Poseidon Boss Fight was peak GOW, nothing came close after, I'm not agreeing 100% with you, but it was better seeing SM moving on from that format

Gaiff

Poseidon Boss Fight was peak GOW, nothing came close after, I'm not agreeing 100% with you, but it was better seeing SM moving on from that format

Nah, not true. It was a visual spectacle but is pretty bad mechanically. A whole lot of sitting around by Poseidon. That's kind of expected with large-scale bosses though, they're crowd pleasers. In terms of boss fights that actually play well, Zeus, Scorpion, and even Hercules are better.

The only boss from the new series that doesn't dunk on the Poseidon fight is the dragon one which is awful. Magni & Modi, the Valkyries, Baldur, the Berserkers, Gna, etc, are all far better than the Poseidon fight from a mechanical perspective. The story ones filled with stoppages like Baldur, Odin, and Thor are also better.

Last edited:
It might be what you wanted from that game and that's fine, but considering its critical acclaim from audiences you're very clearly a tiny minority.

I loved Ragnarok but i heard a lot of complaints about how the ‘Ragnarok’ aspect of it felt underwhelming and some of the boss fights

Synless

Tell me what they wanted? No skin in the game remark: God of war 3 has a higher user score than Ragnarok.

It was more “epic” in every way over the newer games.

EN250

Nah, not true. It was a visual spectacle but is pretty bad mechanically. A whole lot of sitting around by Poseidon. That's kind of expected with large-scale bosses though, they're crowd pleasers. In terms of boss fights that actually play well, Zeus, Scorpion, and even Hercules are better.

The only boss from the new series that doesn't dunk on the Poseidon fight is the dragon one which is awful. Magni & Modi, the Valkyries, Baldur, the Berserkers, Gna, etc, are all far better than the Poseidon fight from a mechanical perspective. The story ones filled with stoppages like Baldur, Odin, and Thor are also better.

Should clarify then, was talking about specific "giant enemy vs human" not in general, I liked the new GOW style better than previous, but that's probably because I played every game and it got kind of stale when I finished Ascension

GymWolf

Peak spectacle over substance sure.

In the mean time, the filthiest valkirie\berserker was mechanically a 100x times better boss fight that require actual skill.

Edit: i forgot chronos boss fight, that one takes the cake.

P.s. don't get me wrong i appreciate the spectacle but i prefer humanoid boss fights way more.

Last edited:

Spaceman292

Banned
Yes, I really dislike the fact that Kratos is this rough-and-tough rugged warrior with multiple battle wounds. I want a perfect Korean K-Pop boy with clear skin and not a blemish on his face. He also needs to have voluminous shiny hair and...

Oh, you were talking about gameplay? Probably not.
Fuccboi of War: Grabmycock

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Hopefully. I’ve beaten GoW 1-3 twice each. Enjoyed the reboot to a lesser extent and couldn’t even finish Ragnarok. I really think that game is an example of “death by 1000 paper cuts.” It’s a chore to play and completely hampered by the technology as well.

And while this is completely anecdotal, I sort of feel like people got over the game pretty quickly. I don’t think it’ll be remembered as one of the better GoW’s a year or two from now.

Activate Rainbow Six Siege GIF by Xbox

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Big summons shooting lasers from space isn't new to FF. This will be simple action set pieces like Platinum does, with some QTEs instead of cutscenes.

I'm basically just imagining Bayonetta 3 with a larger budget. That game also had large summons, but they were fully controllable and had detailed command lists. Was one of the best games of last year. If people are excited about bombastic boss fights, they could have tried some last year.

Last edited:

Gaiff

Should clarify then, was talking about specific "giant enemy vs human" not in general, I liked the new GOW style better than previous, but that's probably because I played every game and it got kind of stale when I finished Ascension
In that case, yeah. If we're talking purely bombastic setpieces that make you go ZOMG!!! This is epic!!, nothing really tops the Poseidon fight except for maybe Cronos later in the game.

The close over-the-shoulder camera kinda prevents the new series from having giant-scale bosses that don't play like shit. Nidhogg is probably the best giant-type boss and she really isn't that big.

[Sigma]

I loved Ragnarok but i heard a lot of complaints about how the ‘Ragnarok’ aspect of it felt underwhelming and some of the boss fights
Boss fights in these new GOW games just kinda suck in general due to the overall change in gameplay. Kinda can't be helped.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
People who played earlier God Of War games were more likely to be disappointed by Ragnarok than those newer to the series. Ragnarok lacked the scale and impact or laser-focused rage of God Of War 3, couldn’t compare to the puzzles and fantastic pacing of God Of War 2, and wasn’t as emotionally resonant and as well written as God Of War 2018. Ragnarok suffered from poor pacing, bloat, and a real lack of creative vision in regards to weaving a satisfying conclusion to the Norse Saga. Atreus failed utterly to be interesting as a character and Kratos turned from a strong masculine archetype to an apologetic, new age dad.

However - by most objective and mechanical measures Ragnarok was a damn good game, but it wasn’t a good God Of War game, not even close.

As long as FFXVI allows us to squeeze through a tight space, kill 5 or 6 enemies, squeeze through another tight space, be faced with a simple puzzle involving rerouting some water to a water wheel, yet 5 seconds after arriving at said puzzle a companion goes "HEY! I bet that water needs to be flowing over that waterwheel! HAW!"
truly goty material

Last edited:

Gaiff

People who played earlier God Of War games were more likely to be disappointed by Ragnarok than those newer to the series. Ragnarok lacked the scale and impact or laser-focused rage of God Of War 3, couldn’t compare to the puzzles and fantastic pacing of God Of War 2, and wasn’t as emotionally resonant and as well written as God Of War 2018. Ragnarok suffered from poor pacing, bloat, and a real lack of creative vision in regards to weaving a satisfying conclusion to the Norse Saga. Atreus failed utterly to be interesting as a character and Kratos turned from a strong masculine archetype to an apologetic, new age dad.

However - by most objective and mechanical measures Ragnarok was a damn good game, but it wasn’t a good God Of War game, not even close.
It's funny that Ragnarok manages to feel bloated and rushed at once lol.

It was a good god of war reboot game, not god of war trilogy

Top Bottom