• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will future Rockstar games have that Rockstar feel?

Woggleman

I know a lot of people criticize the way Rockstar games control and the feel they have to them that is unique but I personally like it and it is why I will buy a game from them no questions asked even if GTA V let me down. I am worried that with Dan Houser gone they will make them more arcadey and dumbed down and they will feel more like Saints Row or a Ubisoft game.

fermcr

The Rockstar feel is...

a1338f7070f948a8ba03b771fe797679.jpeg

Don't worry. They'll still have the same trash controls they've had for twenty years. I don't understand how that equates to less "arcadey", though.

Fbh

I think they'll go with an "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality.
If there are changes I'd expect them to be in the tone of the game as well as a higher focus on multiplayer from day 1, more than the gameplay.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I will play next R* game if they decide to give me proper game instead of simulator to show off their tech.

Last edited:

Woggleman

I will play next R* game if they decide to give me proper game instead of simulator to show off their tech.
I mean no disrespect but to me the sim aspects are part of the fun especially in the Red Dead games. I am worried that Rockstar will make their games more arcadey and gamey instead. At the very least add an arcade and sim mode so people can choose.

ACESHIGH

Banned
What exactly is Rockstar feel these days? Tap A to run? 2004 style mission design? Terrible shooting controls and movement? TBH I think that the only reason GTA games are so succesful these days otther than MP is because a new generation of 9 year old kids will be born from GTA V release through the day VI releases. And that is going to be their first open world game. So they do the usual stuff we did in our first GTA.

And the cycle repeats on and on and on...

I think that GTA is the quarter pounder with cheese of open world games these days: Fills you up, but pretty sterile. Not sure how GTA will make a difference in an era where open world games are the standard. The answer will be of course the massive marketing push a new GTA game will have. But personally, IV was the last great GTA to me. After that game, I much rather play stuff like Just Cause, Saints Row, Sleeping Dogs or hell even Watch Dogs. While they don't have the same budget and polish, I feel these games excel at something in particular while GTA is a jack of all trades.

Last edited:

McCheese

GTA is a cultural phenomenon, GTA5 is still in the top 10 charts! so I'm not sure cancel culture has reached its ultimate final form yet to be able to stop it; would be like that gurren lagann final battle where they are throwing entire galaxies at each other or something.

Oh and the GTA writer retired, so maybe that too.

I mean no disrespect but to me the sim aspects are part of the fun especially in the Red Dead games. I am worried that Rockstar will make their games more arcadey and gamey instead. At the very least add an arcade and sim mode so people can choose.
Ok, I need to know. What does "arcadey" mean exactly?

But, no, I wouldn't expect Red Dead 3 or GTA6 to be like a game you play for 3 minutes per credit at an arcade.

Last edited:
We're talking about a series that has had a lock-on shooting mechanic for twenty years. WTF could be more arcadey than that?

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Except their games weren't even proper simulation like Microsoft Flight Simulator, because in R* game when mission starts all that goes out the window and you have to follow their rule in exact letter or you will fail the mission.

R* can't decide to want to make liner story driven game or open world game.

Last edited:

Woggleman

Except their games weren't even proper simulation like Microsoft Flight Simulator, because in R* game when mission starts all that goes out the window and you have to follow their rule in exact letter or you will fail the mission.

R* can't decide to want to make liner story driven game or open world game.
It is two in one and many including myself like it that way.

Rockstar has peaked i think. outside of ports/remasters the last thing they put out that wasn't GTA or Red Dead related was Max Payne 3 in 2012. twenty twelve. they are a two game studio now: GTA + Red Dead. The next games we get will likely be GTA III/VC/SA remakes and of course GTA VI. They'll be milking GTA VI well into the mid 2030's. If we are ever gonna get another Bully, Max Payne, Midnight Club, or Manhunt game (or a new IP) then it probably won't come out until the end of this decade. Chances are though that what we'll get in 2029/2030 is Red Dead #4.

I know Sam Houser is still there but with Dan + Leslie gone it'll be interesting to see how things go. Leslie was the one who ran day to day development at Rockstar North. He is arguably gonna be a bigger loss than Dan.

I'm not saying that GTA VI will suck or not sell well. It will be a good game and sell like crazy but I do think it won't feel the same. GTA V might be the last game in the golden age of GTA. Or maybe I don't know what the fuck i'm saying and Rockstar will be just fine :)

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
Funnily enough I was playing this yesterday and I thought the same when an HR ad came on the radio, made me hopeful they would keep the same level of shit

Bored but bossy, desperate for power, and upset nobody will listen to you? Keen to patronize? Try a career in human resources. Your job is to fire people or make them feel bad for telling funny jokes. Take the joy and pleasure out of the workplace. Work is called work for a reason - it shouldn't be fun. You'll have more power than management. Make people fill out long questionaires about their feelings. So you can see the data or blackmail them at a later point, get paid to snoop on employee email. Train for three evenings and you'll be qualified to begin an exciting career as a human resources professional. Contact Ovine Human Resources Academy today.

Flutta

Banned
On thing is for sure tho is that the next GTA will have that WOKE feel this time around. Enjoy!
🚪 🏃🏻‍♂️

Roberts

I don’t think current climate will affect the games. I saw The Suicidal Squad recently and there is tons of humour that is considered to be inappropriate these days, I guess it all depends on context and delivery.

Top Bottom