• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will humanity ever produce great monuments again?

Status
Not open for further replies.

entremet

The Pyramids of Giza, The Great Wall of China, Mayan Ruins, etc. Given how much of new construction seems to favor glass and steel and also the elephant in the room is that most of these monuments were probably built by slave labor and most likely under terrible conditions, are there gonna be any great 20th/21th century monuments that are left over 500 years from now?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Too busy making amazing small shit.

And robots.

Air

Banned
Probably. I can see things like huge colonies, or underwater civilizations getting popular with advancing tech.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
China's new building, once it tips over, will be a sight to behold.

abusori

I dunno man, modern mega-skyscrapers are pretty impressive.
Yeah, I think this counts:

t6AfB.jpg

Edit: Oh god not the fonts again

The Martian rovers? They'll be eroding for centuries (unless we go recover them and stick them in a Martian museum).

How long could the International Space Station remain in orbit before degrading and crashing to earth?

The Viking explorers should head out into the cosmos for... ever?

These may not be "monuments" in the traditional sense, but they're testaments to our civilization's power/might/ambition.

Maybe Mt. Rushmore will be around? Hmm...

Toppot

To build something like you mentioned, these big stone structures, would cost a lot and be spent money really, you would be unlikely to have much functional use for it outside of a tourist attraction and the revenue it brought in.

No one person, company or country is going to spend that much on a monument, bar maybe China when its economy dominates the world and some leader gets the idea in his head.

I'd think that maybe the Statue of Liberty or Eiffel Tower will stand unless some war or terrorist attack takes it down to destroy morale. (Both constructed late 19th Century)

EDIT: Mt. Rushmore, as said above, will probably be around.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Sure.

Firs though they'll have to

Submit all of their work for inspection
Get committee approval
Hire contractors
Get zoning and city permission
Publicly release their design proposition
Survive public/internet scrutiny
Re-submit ideas when it doesn't match public approval
Re-hire new contractors after the original ones bailed from the 5 year wait
If they manage to get approval and backing actually build the damn thing
Actually build the damn thing
Oh wait, they're encroaching on some animals homes, possibly have to find new location
New location isn't as good as the last location
Public interest waning
Public asks "Where is all of our tax money going?"
Project possibly shut down to keep whatever they haven't lost during this 10 year wait

or I dunno...

maybe.

I remember seeing some documentary on history channel about what survives after we leave/die off. If I remember correctly nothing lasts more then a few 1000 years without some sort of preservation.

Chichikov

The Pyramids of Giza, The Great Wall of China, Mayan Ruins,

I sure hope we're not going back to building monuments to dead monarchs or giant human sacrificial temples.

As for the great wall of china - giant military projects of little use are still going strong!

Kinyou

Well if the nazis had won...

ger-welthauptstadt_geosg6f.jpg

or the soviet union not failed...

55610641k2e7g.jpg

Seems that those monuments are mostly built by military regimes and dictators anyway.

The Pyramids of Giza, The Great Wall of China, Mayan Ruins, etc. Given how much of new construction seems to favor glass and steel and also the elephant in the room is that most of these monuments were probably built by slave labor and most likely under terrible conditions, are there gonna be any great 20th/21th century monuments that are left over 500 years from now?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-KUbflnMEs

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
This looks like a mock-up. Is that how it currently looks now? Last I remember it being decrepit.

It's been completely covered and partly restored. The top also hosts some communications antennas installed by some Egyptian contractor.

pargonta

very interesting question!

There are landmarks around the world... but not on the scale or importance of those that you mention.

something like this though... with the passing of time, may come to be held in such a high regard for religions.

brazil-christ-redeemer_6011_600x450.jpg

and as stated above government can be represented by the stone columns or ornate structures in the capitals in the countries around the world.

Ecotic

Wat Rong Khun in Thailand is newly constructed and pretty awesome. It's not a gigantic structure like Angkor Wat, but the level of OCD attention to detail is staggering.

IMG_6638.JPG

GIR_01.JPG

It's also got cool statues of Predators, and Terminators, and paintings of Superman, Neo, and Batman and other stuff inside.
wat-rong-khun-12.jpg

entremet

I sure hope we're not going back to building monuments to dead monarchs or giant human sacrificial temples.

As for the great wall of china - giant military projects of little use are still going strong!

I'm talking about form not function.

They're still building crazy giant things it just takes a long time to get the 2,000+ years of mystique of the things your talking about.
The reason you think those things are so amazing is their users are long dead and they're just pretty things to look at. If people were still guarding the great wall or worshiping in the temples they'd just be viewed like most people view churches or military bases today.

Kabouter

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delta_Works
Perhaps not as visually impressive as some of those (though most of the Great Wall isn't as amazing looking as the sections people actually think of are), it's an awesome engineering achievement, and something that should last quite a long time. (Though with improvements/additions along the way)

noah111

Still Alive
Think, thousands of years from now when man kind begins to
re
grasp technical and scientific understanding, they will look back at their ancestors (us) and think we and the egyptian civilizations were one in the same. That's what we'll get for not leaving behind something to remember us by and how far we had come, when the inevitable doomsday hits us.

There should be a kickstarter project to build those giant prometheus human stone heads all around the globe, with all our accumulated knowledge in each.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
I just built a wooden replica of my eyeball.

It doesn't do shit.

obviously talking about buildings!

and the replica of your eyeball doesnt do shit just like the real eyeball since it doesnt understand anything in context. so there's your form = function for that.

Once unemployment in America is over 50 percent because of technology making most jobs obsolete, the government might have to start giving people jobs making useless monuments.

Think, thousands of years from now when man kind begins to
re
grasp technical and scientific understanding, they will look back at their ancestors (us) and think we and the egyptian civilizations were one in the same. That's what we'll get for not leaving behind something to remember us by and how far we had come, when the inevitable doomsday hits us.

There should be a kickstarter project to build those giant prometheus human stone heads all around the globe, with all our accumulated knowledge in each.

The internet

ReBurn

Gold Member
No, people get too offended over everything to build a monument to anything. It's easier to not do anything than include everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom