• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will it ever be possible to domesticate big cats (i.e. lions, tigers, etc)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pollux

Was reading the thread about the lions protecting the little girl, and was thinking about how much I want a pet lion/tiger. Science get on this.

kevinRichardson_li_1364837c.jpg

article-1161393-03DB2828000005DC-630_634x423.jpg

kid.jpg

apana

I think one of the qualifications for proving that a species is domesticated is that they would die in the wild without the aid of humans.

That is cute. And no i don't think it's possible to completely domesticate a big cat, even if it was possible the owner can be killed by a lion that is being playful.

EDIT: Can science make a breed of lions that never grow up to a certain size then stop? it will be cool having lions the size of big dogs.

Cat gets aggressive = scratch on your hand. Lion gets aggressive = missing hand. A subtle but important difference. Something so powerful is always going to be potentially dangerous.

DiscoJer

I'm not convinced house cats are fully domesticated, to be honest. Try playing with one without getting scratched. Even if you use a feather on a stick or something, sometimes they'll take a swipe at your hand if you get too close.

Not to mention the thing where they act cute and roll on their back, then when you rub their belly they go psycho and wrap their legs around your arm and start biting. Not every cat I've owned has done that, but enough that I think it's a pretty common trick...

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
A Russian scientist sort of domesticated a type of fox within his lifetime, although I suppose they're not nearly as domesticated as normal dogs. A big cat would probably take a lot longer.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
A Russian scientist sort of domesticated a type of fox within his lifetime, although I suppose they're not nearly as domesticated as normal dogs. A big cat would probably take a lot longer.

They are pretty domesticated from what I've seen.

To domesticate a big cat like this you would need to start breeding them and picking the smallest and or non-aggresive/domestic qualities and breed them. I brought up the smaller quality because you might be able to get a smaller lion that won't kill you right away when something goes wrong.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
It is possible.

Although the risk associated with it is big enough that I consider anyone doing it just for the sake of self-satisfaction as doing something stupid.

Bleepey

A friend of mine said in his home in Tanzania he had a pet Lion or two. That was till they got too big and they had to be sent away to be prepared to be introduced in the wild. No word of a lie he said that.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I like the idea of having a giant cat, but jesus christ I would not want to deal with a giant cat having a saucy moment.

Their sheer size and power makes it impossible. If you look at those who have formed a trust, or 'bond', with these cats they add that they are sometimes inadvertently hurt when they play with them and sometimes hurt seriously. And I don't imagine even them leaving their children within 20 feet of those animals

A friend of mine said in his home in Tanzania he had a pet Lion or two. That was till they got too big and they had to be sent away to be prepared to be introduced in the wild. No word of a lie he said that.

That actually is common. There is an indoctrination process for cats that are raised by humans. For example, whilst they begin their life inside the warmth and comfort of homes they progressively get introduced to sleeping in the open at night; a transition that isn't always easy for many of them.

RagnarokX

That is cute. And no i don't think it's possible to completely domesticate a big cat, even if it was possible the owner can be killed by a lion that is being playful.

EDIT: Can science make a breed of lions that never grow up to a certain size then stop? it will be cool having lions the size of big dogs.

Well, look at Roy Horn. He fell down on stage when a woman in the audience tried to reach up and pet a tiger during a show and the tiger tried to carry Roy off to safety, accidentally puncturing the back of his neck and causing severe blood loss. You can get big cats to accept you and not want to kill you, but there's always the risk they might accidentally kill you.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
It's possible that there might be special circumstances that prevent their domestication. For example, the cheetah is notoriously difficult to breed in captivity.

Yes and no. Yes, you could take a current big cat and domesticate through several successive generations of artificial selection . . . but no because the resulting animal would no longer be the same.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Genetic engineering!

Dwarf clawless tigers will be the pets of the future!

As far as I know, all of them had to be caught in the wild. They could not be domesticated through each successive generation by artificial selection.

They probably didn't go out of their way to domesticate them, they just did if they found a lone young one or some such.

linkboy

I'm not convinced house cats are fully domesticated, to be honest. Try playing with one without getting scratched. Even if you use a feather on a stick or something, sometimes they'll take a swipe at your hand if you get too close.

Not to mention the thing where they act cute and roll on their back, then when you rub their belly they go psycho and wrap their legs around your arm and start biting. Not every cat I've owned has done that, but enough that I think it's a pretty common trick...

They're not. They're just choosing to live with us until a better opportunity comes along. Cats are the ultimate moocher.

I also wouldn't be surprised if they're undercover spies sent to keep tabs on us.

i would love it but it will never happen

these guys are so fucking powerful you will get hurt one way or the other

i can always dream though. maybe when im a billionaire i can get a team of scientists to develop something that will allow me to communicate with the animal through a wicked mindsync or something. until then, ill just pretend my little cat is actually a vicious wild animal

FStop7

Banned
I was reading about wolves that have been socialized to humans the other day and the process has to start before the wolf cub is 19 days old or it's not possible. Another thing is that wolves have such a strong prey drive that in certain situations they are not going to be able to resist it. When they reach adolescence they will distance themselves from their owners, possibly challenge them for dominance, and possibly get violent with other animals or children.

I imagine the same thing applies with big cats, except more so.

I think one of the qualifications for proving that a species is domesticated is that they would die in the wild without the aid of humans.
I think that's generally true but domesticated cats can quickly go feral, and certainly biologically capable of surviving. Unlike many farm animals and breeds of dogs that would likely be physically incapable of sustaining themselves on their own.

I don't it's logical to domestic large cats. It's much easier to start selectively breeding already domesticated cat for larger sizes. In within about 50 years we could probably see cats about the size of medium sized dogs, ~60 lbs.

FireCloud

Possible? maybe

But why would anyone want to? They are facing enough pressures we are currently imposing upon them. Having to provide enough cats to support any sort of popular interest in making them domesticated pets would probably only serve to hasten their extinction.

Edit: In other words, I agree with what Lazy vs Crazy said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom