• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will paying for Live affect your Next gen console purchase(s)?

Bleepey

I loathe how MS treat Silver members like they are worst than dirt with regards to deals, online gaming and now the Netflix and Lovefilm app store. I was not too keen on buying an Xbox this gen cos i'd have to pay for Live. If my PC was not an unupgradable piece of shit and the PS3 didn't at the time have shitty third party ports as well as being tootoo damn expensive i would be a PC/PS3 gamer. Provided Sony don't charge for online i'll probably get a PS4 if all things else are identical. Would you be willing to pay for Live next gen and if Live is not free would you to the competition?

Alchemy

I'll end up buying all the consoles because gaming is my major hobby so it won't impact hardware sales for, but it will change what system I get multiplayer games on. Free all the way.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Absolutely.
I don't play consoles enough online to warrant the extra expense and 'Silver' Membership is pretty crap.

GDGF

Soothsayer
All things being equal, I'd go for the free service.

(hoping the NiN will be free and equal)

REV 09

I kind of understand the mentality now that the 360 isn't my primary console (pc), but microsofts few IPs are still too great for me to miss out on.

Cheech

Magic 8-Ball says "Too soon to tell". I doubt Sony is going to make the same mistakes again. Need party chat, need cross game invites, need all that good jazz that makes Xbox Gold worth paying for.

I don't care currently because I've managed to renew Gold past 2015 because of sales.

However, Microsoft is incredibly stupid to lock apps that are FREE to use elsewhere, like Netflix, behind a pay wall. They are just pushing casuals and families to Rokus and other devices.

Eusis

I'll end up buying all the consoles because gaming is my major hobby so it won't impact hardware sales for, but it will change what system I get multiplayer games on. Free all the way.
I feel similarly. If anything the lack of compelling exclusives would more likely push me from getting an Xbox more than anything else, and if things are like they are now I definitely could see skipping on an Xbox in favor of the Playstation with some actual Japanese support, and the Wii U for having Nintendo's stuff.
However, Microsoft is incredibly stupid to lock apps that are free elsewhere, like Netflix, behind a pay wall. They are just pushing casuals and families to Rokus and other devices.
This is one of those things that wears down my opinion of MS, and if they're stupid enough to KEEP demanding a charge for stuff like Netflix next generation I hope it really does bite them in the ass. Unless I'm going to get a discount on Netflix via a XBL membership or something I don't want to put up with crap like that when Netflix works out better for me on other devices, my PlayStation seems to have better image quality for it AND is wireless. Especially with XBL-exclusive features like party viewing axed.

Lingitiz

I think its a little early decide without knowing what the revamped service will offer and if any worthwhile online games will launch with it. If Halo 5 is a launch title for the system, sure i'll gladly pick up the new system on day one. Otherwise its going to take alot of convince me to drop $60 on a sub when I can get a game instead.

Sophia

If Live stays as it is, I probably will play exclusively on handhelds and PC. I've been pretty unimpressed with how Live has progressed in the later half the 360's life.

Owzers

Dear Sony:

Make your system easy to develop for so your multiplatform games don't suck.

Make your analog stick placement like the 360's so my thumb doesn't rub against the right stick on games where you constantly use the square button.

Keep PSN free and don't migrate every decent feature to PSN +

If sony does those three things it will be easy to pass up microsoft's next system.

Camilos

Banned
Microsoft is incredibly stupid to lock apps that are free elsewhere, like Netflix, behind a pay wall.[/B]

This is exactly how I feel. But I will still buy the next xbox console and sign up to live because all my friends are there & all my apps are there(assuming the games are bc).

Firestorm

The free Live Gold I got lasts until sometime in 2013 and by then I'm sure I'll have found other $30 or free offers too so nope.

Derrick01

Banned
Not necessarily. If it was my primary system due to having tons of games like 360 used to then I would pay for it like I did earlier this gen.

But now I have a gaming PC and I've been exposed to better deals like PS+ so I don't see the point in paying for Live any more. If I do somehow end up buying the next xbox it'll be Silver only most likely.

Eusis

This is exactly how I feel. But I will still buy the next xbox console and sign up to live because all my friends are there & all my apps are there(assuming the games are bc).
But are your friends already set to get the next Xbox? Do you think they will STILL feel that way when it comes? The success of the PS3 seemed nigh-inevitable before this generation properly started, given the PS1's rise and the PS2 instantly destroying the Dreamcast and leading by a ridiculous amount over other consoles, yet it managed to fall all the way back in to 3rd place. Whose to say Microsoft doesn't make similar slip ups and most people go back to PlayStation or Nintendo anyway?

angelfly

No, since I don't care about Live. It didn't affect my decision this gen and it won't next gen. Exclusives, console features, and downloadable games will be what I'll be focusing on when choosing.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
No, deciding a purchase based on a 5$ a month fee (or less, given frequent sales) over the game library, online features and performance is a damn stupid weighing of options.

LosDaddie

Banned
I guess it was about time for another anti-XBL thread

As long as there are exclusives I want to play on the next Xbox, then no, I'll still pay for XBL. And besides, being on GAF means I always get a heads up on Gold sub sales anyway. Haven't paid more than $30 in a long time.

daevv

I'm debating on if I'm even going to get the next gen consoles. If they implement the "no used games" rumor then I know I'm out of the console scene.

Live doesn't effect me that much really. I have bought 2 years of Live so far and I will get a 3rd this summer. I keep an eye out for the $39/year which is nothing really. I have not bought PSN Plus though.

Grayman

won't pay for what live offers. PSN+ paywalling features like cloud saves is bothersome enough to me. I am already leaning towards no console purchases though, so next gen is going to have to do something interesting to pull me in.

CTE

No. Costs about 30-35 a year for me with all the deals out there. So less than 3 bucks a month. I waste more than that on gum and other trivial shit in a few days, never mind a month.

zroid

Banned
I don't, on principle, have a problem with Live, but unfortunately I very rarely play games online, so whatever cost I would have to endure is still too much. PSN suits my needs because I don't need a robust/reliable service for my on average one or fewer online sessions each month.

I know people who game online a lot swear by it, so I'm sure Microsoft will get by just fine. It sucks for people like me, but I guess that's just how it goes.

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
Nope. I don't have any issue with the current price of Live and if there are exclusive games that I want to play, I'll buy the system. If the oft-rumoured subscription price increase happened then I'd re-evaluate my stance depending on what the next Live service offers.

I'll also say that, more importantly, if my XBLA and 'Games on Demand' games from this generation are not backwards compatible then I won't be buying the new system at all. Ever. The same applies to the next Playstation.

Valnen

Definitely. Why pay $50 just for online play when I can pay $50 and get things like free games or cloud saves. Online play should be a basic feature, and they should offer compelling reasons to want a gold membership.

SeanNoonan

Within development I feel you need to grab all the consoles just to stay current, but as far as paying for a subscription goes, I currently pay for an Xbox Gold account. That said, the games I play are multiformat so there's not a lot keeping me on the service.

With all the monthly free content on PSN Plus I'm tempted to jump platforms. Quite strong words - I was on Live from day one. Almost ;)

So really I think paying for Live this time around and it somewhat underdelivering in recent months is making me more likely to pay for a Plus account or just start using PSN for free...

I'm aware I could just skip all the costs by using Steam (and I sometimes do) but there's nothing like the console experience :D

Slightly off topic, but is it as common as it seems for people with both active 360 and PS3 accounts to have maxed their 360 friends lists but a PS3 friends list of about 5 - could just be my group of friend/work colleagues, but it seems awfully common, and it's one of the sticking points for jumping ship (achievements/trophies can suck a fuck for all I care).

Anustart

I subscribed to Live for probably a year, and in hind sight it just wasnt worth it. I only played portal 2 co-op, couple hours of CV: HD and some worms 2. What I found ridiculous was you couldn't even watch Netflix without a gold membership.

And next gen I'll more than likely only bee getting a Wii U anyway, and only game on it and my PC. I can go without playing xbox and playstation exclusives, but Nintendo has me by the balls. I could never dream of not getting all their consoles.

Carl

Magic 8-Ball says "Too soon to tell". I doubt Sony is going to make the same mistakes again. Need party chat, need cross game invites, need all that good jazz that makes Xbox Gold worth paying for.
PSN has cross game chat etc, just not on PS3 ;)

Yes. Why?

Well, I've never experienced better online that Live supposedly has. I still run into about the same amount of people with lag on my fighting and shooting games just the same as I do on PSN, so I see no reason to pay for 60 or however much it will cost.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS

That not a need... more of a want

gatti-man

Its a tie breaker for me. Live doesnt add anything to my MP experience VS the playstation and it virtually guarantees p2p which is garbage. So yeah if the ps4 brings equal power I wont be buying an xbox 720.

Emitan

Yep. Not buying the next Xbox unless it absolutely blows me away. Then again, same thing for PS4. I'm getting a Wii U because hopefully it's where Japanese console development is moving (and I've had my ear to the ground a bit and this seems to be the case).

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
I'm not a fan of paying for Live, or anything else for that matter, but it's worth it.

In doing so, I've built up a nice little groove that I'm not likely to come out of this gen or next, unless MS do something to royally screw it up.

tim.mbp

I don't pay for Live now and won't in the future. I'm not sure if I'll even buy a TV console next gen, I'm sure I'll be happy with gaming solely on my 3DS.

Fjordson

No. I've enjoyed the service thus far.

And Live has been cheap as hell for me this entire generation thanks to deals on time cards.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I'm likely going to just stick with MS consoles by proxy of XBLA and having everything carry with me. Live being a pay service doesn't matter much to me considering that, but if PSN opts to do the same thing I'd reconsider that since I'm far less invested in PSN and have no plans to ever be a Plus member.

Eusis

I don't, on principle, have a problem with Live, but unfortunately I very rarely play games online, so whatever cost I would have to endure is still too much. PSN suits my needs because I don't need a robust/reliable service for my on average one or fewer online sessions each month.
I have to admit, my core problem is how much is being tied into XBL Gold. Playing games online is fine, even demo exclusivity and discounts aren't too bad. But keeping ALL demos on a one week exclusive, rather than just a few big ones? And (almost) ALL discounts? Nevermind the bullshit like Netflix streaming that's likely Netflix's bandwidth rather than their own, it feels more like they lock away things to create a better perception of value than actually CREATING value, even worse for those who want all of that BUT online play, the sort of thing that is a service you're actively paying for. Leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

No. If Microsoft secures lots of good, one player exclusives, I'll be back on board. I don't play MP very often in the first place and if I do, it's on the PC or PS3.

It's not something that will make me get or not get the next Xbox. I'm not a Gold subscriber now and IF I buy the next Xbox, I won't pay for XBL Gold then either.

Top Bottom