• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will paying for Live affect your Next gen console purchase(s)?

meppi

Not in the slightest. I've made up my mind after getting annoyed with lots of crap that goes on that's either Sony's fault, the developers fault, or a combination of the two.
So if that means paying for a service that actually works when it should, and doesn't piss me off nearly as much as Sony's online "vision" even as a PS+ member, than I'll gladly pay €36 a year for XBL.
It's not like I don't get back every cent with the weekly promotions and sales anyway.

SykoTech

I'll never pay to use a service that I'm already paying for. It's a ripoff. So if the next Xbox charges for online (which it obviously will), then I won't be doing any online downloads/gaming there. Not falling for the scam.

I wouldn't say that it would determine whether or not I buy the console though. Exclusive games determine that. But it was pretty easy to ignore the 360's offerings in that category. So unless they really step it up with the exclusives next gen, I can see myself skipping the Xbox again anyway.

gatti-man

I'll never pay to use a service that I'm already paying for. It's a ripoff. So if the next Xbox charges for online (which it obviously will), then I won't be doing any online downloads/gaming there. Not falling for the scam.

I wouldn't say that it would determine whether or not I buy the console though. Exclusive games determine that. But it was pretty easy to ignore the 360's offerings in that category. So unless they really step it up with the exclusives next gen, I can see myself skipping the Xbox again anyway.

Agreed. It would be different if they offered dedicated servers but paying for p2p is a sad joke.

The main reason why I won't purchasing their next console. The whole vernacular of MS "taking over the living room" means nothing to me if that bs subscription fee is applied to it.

I knew I didn't want to pay for live but I still bought it over the PS3 primarily because it had a better library(early 2008) & it was cheaper. Now with both successors probably launching at the same time with similar 3rd party support, and most likely being the same price (no $599), I see myself picking up an 720 5-7 years from now when it's dirt cheap to play the few exclusives it has.

Kuga

Yes, it will have a significant impact on my console purchasing decisions. Until Microsoft/Sony/Nintendo offer free functionality equivalent to what I can obtain on the PC platform, there is little chance that I'd even consider looking at a paid service. (And that's only if the premium features are worthwhile.)

I guess I've just been spoiled rotten by what I can get for free on the PC. But I'm certainly not going to be the target consumer for the console manufacturers anyways.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Nope. Paying for a service for a game I paid for and get bombarded with ads? No thanks, I'll do steam.

knitoe

From this thread, the PS4 is going to kick the shit out of the Xbox3.

This help my decision to get Xbox3

Bleepey

Another thing i forgot to bitch about. MS refused to allow the fricking BBC the chance to give the iplayer away for free for over 2 years. It's scary how XBL seems less and less appealing the more i am reminded of this shit.

surly

Banned
It depends really. If PSN is as shit as it is on the PS3 then paying for Live won't be a problem, but they'll surely step it up a gear with features and make it less clunky. If it can do at least what Live does now and for free - and assuming cross-platform games aren't regularly worse on the PS4 like they are on the PS3 - then I'll have very little reason to pay for Live other than to play exclusive stuff.

That said, in the UK, prices for stuff on PSN is regularly higher than for the same stuff on Live. If I'd bought all of the downloadable games/DLC I bought on Live on PSN instead, it would have cost me more and that's taking into account the Live sub.

Top Bottom