• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will paying for Live affect your Next gen console purchase(s)?

Fredrik

Console purchase - No. There are offline games too on the console.

Game purchases - Yes. I never buy games that I want to play online for Xbox.

Eusis

Console purchase - No. There are offline games too on the console.

Game purchases - Yes. I never buy games that I want to play online for Xbox.
Actually, I suppose that IS what will get me to stay with Live next generation (well, and if enough people I know DO jump and stick with the next Xbox for online): exclusive games best played online. Granted, there's already going to be Halo and Gears for that, but I didn't put much into Reach and never could get into Gears online anyway. If msot of the games are multiplatform, equally good on PS4/Wii U, and I know people playing on those instead, no way would I want to go with the Xbox version unless it's the superior version. And maybe if I didn't care about the online (very likely).

Bumblebeetuna

Gold Member
Will still be there day one. I don't mind paying essentially a dime a day for what is imho the best online gaming service.

Just get the steambox. No fees!

But seriously, MS of today is more interested in getting early dlc rights than console exclusives. And with ps4 highly likely ditching cell... I do expect pc ports of most games next gen.

I'll pick up a wii U for nintendo stuff.

jrpgs will probably never thrive on next gen consoles... so I have a 3ds and will eventually pick up a vita. Maybe a ps4 if some killer software exists.

Sledge Hammer

Neo Member
Another 5-8 years of live subscriptions, no thanks. If psn is free and both the ps and xbox are in the same ballpark performance wise, PS4 4 life

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I think this gen is the end of the road for me and consoles. Will pick up a slimline 360 at some point over the next few years to secure my current catalogue. And then just keep it around for archival purposes like my Dreamcast.

Sony has been playing up the fact that PSN is free in a lot of commercials lately, so I'm thinking PSN will continue to be free next gen.

$60 a year for pretty much the same thing can fuck off.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
$60 a year for pretty much the same thing can fuck off.

Especially with how big digital distribution is nowadays. Last gen it didn't seem so outrageous because it did offer a great experience and there probably was a lot of backend stuff to make all that possible in 2002. But nowadays that needs to just be chalked up as an operating cost. I just got an email my gold sub was ending yesterday as a matter of fact. This will be the first time since 2003 that I dont resubscribe.

$60 x 6 years = $360 just to play multiplayer. Almost the cost of a consle itself.

So lets say the next Xbox costs $400 , inorder to get the full experience (multiplayer) you will spend $760 , which is the true hidden cost .

No thanks. I'd rather spend that money on actual games.

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
I don't pay to play online. I pay for my internet access, and I can pay for MMORPGS, although I prefer a free-to-play subscription. But I don't think console makers should demand payment for services that should be considered free.

I don't play online very often so paying for it is out of the question. It's a very small amount of money, but considering how little I use it, it's not worth it.

Labadal

It doesn't determine if I will buy the next Xbox or not, however it does determine the games I buy for the console. Buying gold membership is optional, so is buying games that focus on multiplayer.

I like how PlayStation Plus works. I tried one year just for the heck of it. I've gotten enough free stuff and rebates on games I was going to buy anyway. I'm happy enough that I will renew. I had Xbox Live for 1 year and it was simply not worth it to me and when my subscription "ended" they autorenewed without my knowledge and despite me having turned off auto renew.

I have all consoles and have never payed for Live... so it doesn't matter for me, it just makes the new x-box less likable for me (I got it mostly for Vesperia)

If they have games i want i'll buy console (not likely with kinect stuff at the moment), however I'll not pay for online since I'll have pc and possibly other platforms.

Bluth54

Yeah I doubt I'll get the next Microsoft console the next time around, but for a number of reasons (paying for gold is just one of them).

Sojgat

No. I would rather it was free, but it isn't. What if Sony adopts a similar scheme with the next gen, what then?

squidyj

Just get the steambox. No fees!

But seriously, MS of today is more interested in getting early dlc rights than console exclusives. And with ps4 highly likely ditching cell... I do expect pc ports of most games next gen.

I'll pick up a wii U for nintendo stuff.

jrpgs will probably never thrive on next gen consoles... so I have a 3ds and will eventually pick up a vita. Maybe a ps4 if some killer software exists.

Port to PC? I don't see it. Making it easier to for crossplatform devs with a different arch on PS3 I can understand but I doubt you're going to see Sony first party studios porting content to PC at all.

I doubt i'll pick up a nextbox myself, if they're putting kinect in everything and then selling it as a casual thing and failing to capitalize on it's real potential in terms of core then it's pretty worthless tech for me. Paying for their online service is pretty bad too especially when it's essentially a pay wall they hide everything behind.

I get all the major platforms every gen, so it won't stop me from buying a new XBOX and being a subscriber to XBLive 3.0, but it depends on what the competition does to close the gap that my purchases and time spent might start shifting over. Since it seems highly unlikely that Ninty and Sony will be able to make any more serious headway into MS' console DD superiority, I'd say no. Live costs next to nothing over a year for me, and the convenience level of improvement in options available to me that comes with it ensures that, as long as I am a fairly active user and still buy a fair amount of content and games online, it will be worth the cost.

I can accept paying for a GOOD online service that offers a lot. And at the beginning that was true for the Xbox360 as it offered a lot more than PlayStation did.

But Sony came quite after them and improved their online services continuously (PS Plus). They are still not on par with MS in terms of online service, but I like Sonys approach much better by now. Who gives you free access to the most basic thing in online services: multiplayer gaming. And then offers you to pay for some nice extra services, not locking you out of anything unless you enter the hallowed circle of being a Gold member.

That said I can live with both approaches in their current form and I would consider not buying a console only if the conditions get much worse.

Having to pay to play online is one of the biggest reasons I haven't picked up a 360 yet. If they go the same route next generation, I'm less likely to buy their console.

No. Paying for LIVE isn't a huge deal for me because I keep getting 1 month for a dollar ads on the dashboard.. Oh, and I only play online like once every few months so there's that too.

Ploid 3.0

I have a 360 and have never logged onto live with it. I don't really care about demos anymore, and if I need a game that depend on online I will use PS3 then PC in that order. The only PC game I bought with a good online community is TF2. There is no way that I'm paying for online play.

I'll be sticking to PC for a while, then PS4 if it's good, and maybe wait until someone gives me a Xbox next as a gift again. I'd buy whaever is worth it on PC and PS4 for the exclusives that I'm used to (GT6!).

Depends on exclusives. Live fees won’t effect my decision because I don’t pay for it anyways.

WiiU and PS4 are definite buys. I don’t want to miss out on next-gen Zelda and I definitely don’t want to miss out on Sony 1st party (next-gen games from Sucker Punch, Naughty Dog, Polyphony, SSM, Guerilla, etc.? Hells yeah.)

I personally don’t really care for MS first party games at all, so whether I end up buying the next box will depend on whether MS are able to lock up an awesome 3rd party developer like Epic for an awesome must-play exclusive. If the system ends up with a few must-play exclusives I will buy one a few years down the line when they are selling for $150-200.

Sydle

Well, I love the service. The weekly deals more than pay for the service on an annual basis. Xbox 720 and a year subscription are day one purchases for me.

Danielsan

It depends. If Sony continues free online gaming then I will probably refrain from purchasing Microsofts' new console. The 360 was my first console this generation and once I got my PS3 I hardly if ever used the 360 to play games online. Paying an additional fee just to play P2P online is bullshit.

I'm in Australia, so I wouldn't get Netflix or Hulu or whatever else is on there, and I'm not interested in online multiplayer so I really have no interest in Xbox Live Gold whatsoever. I'mma buy the shit out of that next Xbox.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Nah, I'll still pay for XBL. I'll think about not paying when Halo dies or my love for Halo dies.

Definitely. If Sony continue to make PSN awesome and free, Nintendo step up their game and make their online service viable, Microsoft's going to look pretty stupid charging $60 a year for the same thing.

Cookychan

Banned
It will.
Hell, my Xbox 360 Arcade SKU still sits collecting dust.

Sony's is free, Nintendo's most likely will be, if Microsoft keep sucking for money harder than a whore on New Year's Eve, people are gunna retaliate next gen. :L

JJD

I'll probably do the same as I did this generation. I have an 360, but I'm a silver user. All my online gaming in done on the Wii.

Kidding!!! I play online on the PS3. I'll probably get the 720 anyway! MS doesn't have many AAA exclusives, but the XBLA ones are enough for me!

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
I can't see Live subscription costs affecting my decisions - I've been gold since day one, and just accept it as a mandatory cost.. PSN+ on the other hand, wammp wammmmp - no dice from me - I keep that standard.

JJD

I can't see Live subscription costs affecting my decisions - I've been gold since day one, and just accept it as a mandatory cost.. PSN+ on the other hand, wammp wammmmp - no dice from me - I keep that standard.

Well, if your primary console is the 360 I guess this is OK, but PSN+ is amazing. If my signature ended today I would have saved a lot of money on a ton of games I bought. Not to mention the free stuff you keep while you're signed.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Will not buy an MS console if they pull this nonsense again. Won't buy a PS4 either if they upgrade PSN+ to a gold style service.

What about Nintendo you say? If they charge for online then I become a goat farmer. Got a nice hilly few acres behind the house.

Cookychan

Banned
Will not buy an MS console if they pull this nonsense again. Won't buy a PS4 either if they upgrade PSN+ to a gold style service.

What about Nintendo you say? If they charge for online then I become a goat farmer. Got a nice hilly few acres behind the house.

All of Nintendo's online offerings so far have been free, not sure about Satellaview and that kinda thing though, I don't think they'll suddenly switch.

M-PG71C

I'll be buying a Wii U day one, that is the only thing I know. Between MS and Sony, that's going to heavily depend on what they have to offer me.

So I can't say really. Honestly, my Gold subscription is turned on only at certain times of the year for multiplayer. Otherwise, Silver is fine for me. Fuck their Netflix, I'll be happy to watch it on Wii where I don't have to pay extra fees just to access something I'm already paying for.

kevm3

I'm a PS3/PC only gamer... I plan on staying that way into the next generation. Sony console/PC unless Sony starts pulling that nonsense too.

Cartman86

Banned
No, but i'm weak, and I need it to play with friends. The main problem I have with Live is it's supposed to be this walled garden where Microsoft can perfect and protect the service. Instead they charge developers for updates, limit update sizes, and give us 512MB of cloud storage? Yeah fuck off.

Everdred

Unfortunately, I am such a Halo fanboy that I have to buy the system. It is literally the only reason I buy Xbox at this point.

manzo

I'd rather not. Most likely will stick to PS3 + Vita + PC next gen.

Live is still extremely bad value for europeans and we pay the same.

JonCha

Nope, it's pretty cheap to be honest. My first console purchase will come down to what games it launches with, and what the software is like (especially for the Wii).

derfybzh

I will pay for gold on XBOX Whatever.

When I look at my vita and the horrible mess of online on it, I'm glad MS has handled it right even if I have to pay for it :'(

Dabanton

Too early to tell. I'm going to guess MS is going to want to launch with a stellar line specifically a big MP game or two that locks people in early. I don't know many gamers who can resist new hardware and shiny new games. Especially on here.

As for Live I don't really mind paying for it considering i use it daily,and most of my friends are on it.

And i can see Sony also charging next gen the promise they made with the PS3 'free online' would no longer stand with any new system they make.

Nintendo will probably be the only ones offering 'free' online but with less features..

But at the end of the day three things are going to get me to 'jump in' next time. Good launch games, a day one exchange for all my paid for digital content and more new useful features.

You don't have to pay for Live. It's just that you can't play any multiplayer. MS will undoubtedly push for Live next gen. No reason to stop. I would rather stick to PC if Sony goes their route too. I always asked this hypothetical question to my coworkers about Live. What if a tornado runs through your isp, but you recently renewed your Live subscription prior of the disaster for a year? What then? LOL!

AniHawk

if i want to play online multiplayer, and other services are offering it for free, and the difference is paying for online mulitplayer or not paying for online multiplayer, i'd go for the free one.

if there was a game that was only online multiplayer and only available on the xbox 360, and i really wanted to play it or it was the only way i could play it (like team fortress 2 in 2009), then i would buy live.

live actually kinda scares me away from the console though. because two other consoles (and the two current-gen handhelds) have free online multiplayer, it means i'd be getting the next microsoft system strictly for single-player experiences.

You don't have to pay for Live. It's just that you can't play any multiplayer. MS will undoubtedly push for Live next gen. No reason to stop. I would rather stick to PC if Sony goes their route too. I always asked this hypothetical question to my coworkers about Live. What if a tornado runs through your isp, but you recently renewed your Live subscription prior of the disaster for a year? What then? LOL!

what if you buy the new xbox with a bunch of games and then go blind the next day? lol, blind fools wasting their money.

Yes, I gave up paying for Live a while ago and I will never be renewing it, ditching the fee is one of the only ways I'll consider picking up Microsoft's next console. Considering how little I actually play online it's a waste of money paying £30-40 a year for the odd occasion I feel like using it.

Bleepey

Another thing, MS hate free DLC and put all manner of restrictions on devs who want to offer it and I have to pay for this privilege? I remember left4dead. I think I will get PS4 next gen most likely.

Top Bottom