• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will Resident Evil 7 have any form of Sony exclusivity?

Paracelsus

It's 2014, over a year since the announcement, and people still don't realize Bloodborne is just a respectful way for Sony to have a Demon's Souls 2 without shitting in Namco's eggs basket.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
It's 2014, over a year since the announcement, and people still don't realize Bloodborne is just a respectful way for Sony to have a Demon's Souls 2 without shitting in Namco's eggs basket.

It was announced in June.

Didn't say you did. Just seemed a bit strange that you want people to speak out against console exclusivity bullshit when you were arguing with people doing just that around Gamescom time.

I want people to speak up against console exclusivity as a practice. I don't care if Sony fans speak up against Microsoft moneyhats or Microsoft fans speak up against Sony moneyhats. This kind of 'speaking up' is meaningless since it is born out of console fanboyism instead of genuine interest in what is good for all gamers.

Rand6

Maybe DLC exclusive.

I don't know why, but I can see Microsoft doing a "TombRaider" and having the full exclusivity for 6 month lol.

Elandyll

Banned
I'm thinking some exclusive content (like some skins-costume/ weapons/ map) for one console, and some similar but different things for the other.

I doubt anything much bigger than that would happen, for either machine.

I don't know why, but I can see Microsoft doing a "TombRaider" and having the full exclusivity for 6 month lol.

Eurogamer posted an article on the 6th December that makes me wonder if "Rise of the Tomb Raider" is even going to come out on PS4 at a later date now.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...icrosoft-will-publish-rise-of-the-tomb-raider

Eurogamer said:
UPDATE: Microsoft has issued Eurogamer a new statement further clarifying Aaron Greenberg's tweet.

The statement compares Microsoft's partnership with Square Enix for Rise of the Tomb Raider to its recent deals with Capcom for Dead Rising 3 and Harmonix for Dance Central.

"Yes, Microsoft will be publishing Rise of the Tomb Raider on Xbox," a Microsoft spokesperson said.

"Similar to how we worked with Capcom on Dead Rising 3 or Harmonix on Dance Central, we're very excited to partner with the amazing team at Crystal Dynamics to bring Rise of the Tomb Raider in holiday 2015, exclusively to Xbox.

Seems like they may just be outright publishing it now. Rather than slapping down money for timed exclusitivity like before. Seems a bit shakey.

Draft

The less hardware it's on, the better. We need to keep as many gamers as possible quarantined from mainline Resident Evil's execreble content.

Harmen

The less hardware it's on, the better. We need to keep as many gamers as possible quarantined from mainline Resident Evil's execreble content.

Lol, this should do the trick:

Wii U exclusive.

What a twist.jpg

:)

In all honesty, I think going timed exclusive is not a good move in any way except for the platformholder. And I have a hard time believing RE is not a series where Capcom could return their investment in the game.

Megatron

The street fighter deal either a) caught Microsoft by surprise or b) they really did pass on it due to having KI/not thinking its worth it.

Neither of those would apply to RE. I will be honest if it has any type of exclusivity(beyond something like specific levels or dlc) I think Microsoft would outbid Sony for it.

While I'm not fond of Street Fighter going exclusive, there's definitely benefit in having a single shared player pool.

Can't really say that for Resident Evil. Part of what makes RE so successful is the fact that it's everywhere, including the movie theater.

I think some folks underestimate the influence of SF as a system seller. I just don't see that potential in RE at this point in the franchise.

No.

The reason Street Fighter went exclusive is because it's popularity is dwindling and there was more value in accepting a funding proposition from Sony in exchange for exclusivity.

Resident Evil doesn't have that problem (yet).

Thinking about the Street Fighter deal and how that may kickstart a new collaboration between Sony and Capcom. Or is Resident Evil too big of a brand to be on a single platform? Judging by Capcom's focus on sales numbers and how Resident Evil 6 didn't sell as well as they wanted it to, is it feasible that they would go with either a timed or full exclusivity deal?

Really? That's great news! Hopefully that was enough to sway them from making any more Resident Evil games completely.

While I'm not fond of Street Fighter going exclusive, there's definitely benefit in having a single shared player pool.

Can't really say that for Resident Evil. Part of what makes RE so successful is the fact that it's everywhere, including the movie theater.

I think some folks underestimate the influence of SF as a system seller. I just don't see that potential in RE at this point in the franchise.
SF can be a system seller to a degree but there is no doubt that RE sells a large amount.

Gradon

Capcom gave timed exclusive rights to the RE6 DLC for Microsoft, and I distinctly remember both the Resident Evil 5 and 6 demos coming to Xbox first (even in Japan).

If anything, I can't imagine the game being PS4 exclusive, but timed exclusive extras I can see happening.

Dai Kaiju

Ugh not this nonsense again...sony can spend billions in R&D, in making new products every year, they spent billions alone building the Ps4 before launch, yet you think they cannot pay for 1 game being exclusive?? Come on.

I don't necessarily think he's right, but buying 3rd party exclusives always comes across to me as being chump change for MS. It's rare for Sony to do it. I mean, at least it was last gen.

Sony seems to be close to Silent Hills development, would be redundant to go for Resident Evil considering both franchises could be easily asociated.

Stupid question: but do people actually still care about Resident Evil, arent zombies kinda becoming boring.

Yes, people do. They might be to some people, I for one enjoy zombie games and I am still waiting on the perfect zombie game to be released. It probably never will and RE definitely won't be it though.

Endo Punk

MS has more of a change to snag RE7. There is no way Sony will out spend them on Capcoms biggest IP.

Sony seems to be close to Silent Hills development, would be redundant to go for Resident Evil considering both franchises could be easily asociated.

I definitely see Sony getting SH.

At this point in time who even cares? That franchise has took such a terrible plunge I'm not even looking forward to another title. I can only take so much.

I don't think so, RE and MH seems to be the only franchises Capcom are still willing to foot the bill for.

Save that Sony exclusivity for Dragon's Dogma =P

Elios83

Yeah it will be a PS4 exclusive!!............in Japan :D

I totally expect multiplatform in the west although marketing deals and timed exclusive DLCs might be up for grab.

Eurogamer posted an article on the 6th December that makes me wonder if "Rise of the Tomb Raider" is even going to come out on PS4 at a later date now.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...icrosoft-will-publish-rise-of-the-tomb-raider

Seems like they may just be outright publishing it now. Rather than slapping down money for timed exclusitivity like before. Seems a bit shakey.

You probably have missed that Square Enix gently reminded a few days ago, right when the confusion started to arise again, that their deal with MS is timed:

http://gamerant.com/rise-of-the-tomb-raider-xbox-exclusive-square-enix/

http://arcadesushi.com/square-enix-confirms-rise-of-the-tomb-raider-is-timed-exclusive-again/

http://www.pcgamer.com/square-enix-clarify-microsofts-tomb-raider-exclusivity-deal/

I don't know what's up with eurogamer but their coverage hasn't been the most clear and unbiased lately....

Sydle

I hope not. Is Capcom is such financial trouble that they can't fund any of their multi-million seller franchises?

I hope not. Is Capcom is such financial trouble that they can't fund any of their multi-million seller franchises?
Well I don't think they are doing great but no so bad they can't make some games. Then again they took all the profit from MH4 and put it into a mobile games studio. I am not sure honestly.

Yep, XB1 version charted higher than PS4 version in that week, but only in that week IIRC. Something must have happened that week, we just don't know what it was.

Maybe X1 owners finally realised it was out?

I don't remember any deals or it being bundled. It suddenly charting is very strange.

Really? That's great news! Hopefully that was enough to sway them from making any more Resident Evil games completely.
It's not enough. Even though it didn't sell as planned, it was still the best selling RE game as far as I know.

I definitely see Sony getting SH.

I don't. Why would Konami bother getting Kojima, del Toro and Norman Reedus for a game tha will end up being exclusive?

Endo Punk

I don't. Why would Konami bother getting Koima, del Toro and Norman Reedus for a game tha will end up being exclusive?

Well for one PT was only released on PS4. So there must be something happening between Sony and Konami/Kojima and after how well it was received the partnership may well go further. Im not saying it will happen but it has more of a chance than RE7 exclusivity.

meptrep

I seriously hope not. Exclusives aren't good for consumers.

If it is, then I hope it's a console exclusive thing on PS4 so I can still play it on PC.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I'd rather Sony get exclusive content with some more American games. I honestly can't think of a single Capcom game last gen that I enjoyed.

Top Bottom