• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will Resident Evil 7 have any form of Sony exclusivity?

Well for one PT was only released on PS4. So there must be something happening between Sony and Konami/Kojima and after how well it was received the partnership may well go further. Im not saying it will happen but it has more of a chance than RE7 exclusivity.
The game just seems too expensive to be exclusive. It won't be full exclusive, maybe timed with Sony publishing the game (ala ROTR). What I think is more likely to happen is to have a marketing agreement with Sony similar to Destiny.

EDIT: after reading @TheJollyCorner, well if Kojima and Del Toro are not directly involved, its more likely to be exclusive.

Well for one PT was only released on PS4. So there must be something happening between Sony and Konami/Kojima and after how well it was received the partnership may well go further. Im not saying it will happen but it has more of a chance than RE7 exclusivity.

Would also potentially be cheaper to snag exclusivity of a dying franchise like Silent Hill than it would a series that corporate management (Capcom) practically demands 6+million in sales for each entry.

We still don't even know Kojima & DelToro's exact involvement in the project. For all we know they are just exec producers/creative consultants & some old Team Silent guy like Tsoboyama is actually in the director's chair (dream on).

And they made bank. I doubt they care. Exclusivity is not going anywhere.

Enough to cover the 50% audience they lost? You don't know that. And MS are not fools to pay that amount of money only to be able to say 'Exclusive, holiday 2015'. They'd lock the game down tight.

I'm all for exclusivity though, in other cases - they allow the dev to focus on a single platform and make the best game they can..... usually.

RE is way bigger than SF, you might see some DLC deals but no way in hell it'll be full exclusive

Way bigger maybe, but SF should have been big enough to not need external funding.

Capcom is open to money hatting so I say maybe, wouldn't rule it out. Though I'm not sure if MS/Sony would want RE7.

If there's one AAA franchise Capcom will always have money to fund its RE, so I say no.

Stuff like DMC5 or DD2 has a possibility.

Sony and Capcom seem to be close though. Deep Down, SCE helping them create their next gen engine, SFV exclusivity, funding a prize pool for the tourneys....would not be surprised if more comes out of this relationship.

I seriously doubt it.

Sony may have been able to squeeze blood from a stone in order to purchase Street Fighter V exclusivity, but I don't think they have nearly as much money left as would be required to purchase Resident Evil as well.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
It is pretty much certain at this point. Our market share is way too high and the PS4 is 40% more powerful so the game will be 40% better without being held back by the xbox loss. M$ is pretty much done in the console race lol good luck with Bing xbots.

It is pretty much certain at this point. Our market share is way too high and the PS4 is 40% more powerful so the game will be 40% better without being held back by the xbox loss. M$ is pretty much done in the console race lol good luck with Bing xbots.

Mmmm...... ehhh..... 4/10.

Apply yourself.

lol.

ClearData

If they need cash a timed exclusive might suit them. I could see them offering that to Microsoft and Spencer as a "revenge" deal for Street Fighter V. Microsoft doesn't have a survival horror title in its portfolio.

I mention that because Spencer mentioned Tomb Raider as filling a spot in the action and adventure genre so they had a competing product to Uncharted. That seems to factor into his thinking.

LowSignal

With the past few resident evil's failures I don't think it's worth paying/helping for exclusivity. MAYBE if there is a stipulation that the title receives a set goal of review scores.

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
I want to know if RE6 is getting ported to PS4. I haven't played it and I hear some negative things, but I want to try it.

Amin_and_Azizah

Neo Member
Thinking about the Street Fighter deal and how that may kickstart a new collaboration between Sony and Capcom. Or is Resident Evil too big of a brand to be on a single platform? Judging by Capcom's focus on sales numbers and how Resident Evil 6 didn't sell as well as they wanted it to, is it feasible that they would go with either a timed or full exclusivity deal?

If had to make a educated guess, I would say that Resident Evil 7 is going to be exclusive to xbox one. With all of the money that Microsoft has in the bank and all of the troubles that sony is having financially, I don't think they're going to be able outbid Microsoft in regards to resident evil 7 because I believe both companies would want that game exclusive to their system and I think both companies will be willing to pay whatever it took to get that game on its system and we all know who has the most money

SF can be a system seller to a degree but there is no doubt that RE sells a large amount.
No doubt. I just think SF is a different animal here. SF sells sticks as well, which in turn sells more software, not just Street Fighter. RE sells a lot, I just don't see it having that much swing on a whole genre, or player population.

No doubt. I just think SF is a different animal here. SF sells sticks as well, which in turn sells more software, not just Street Fighter. RE sells a lot, I just don't see it having that much swing on a whole genre, or player population.
Yeah that Madcatz deal is probably still pretty good with Capcom. I expect some SFV sticks on release. I understand what you mean, I just can't see Capcom not having money to put out an RE game by themselves is all.

dmr87

I seriously hope not. Exclusives aren't good for consumers.

If it is, then I hope it's a console exclusive thing on PS4 so I can still play it on PC.

As someone who owns all of the current gen consoles (and a capable PC) I don't really care about 3rd party exclusives, rather I think it adds some flavour to the different systems. But of course I understand that I'm in the minority and for the majority of people it's considered bad.

Loakum

Banned
There is NO way on earth Microsoft is gonna let Resident Evil 7 be a Sony exclusive! Trust me, after what happened with Street Fighter V, they will definitely make Capcom an offer they can't refuse...

Amused

As a PS4 owner, a potential parity trend would make me more inclined to root for more third party ps4-exclusives. For now (no real trend has manifestet yet) though i'll hope as many as possible will get to play this game as well.

Third party exclusives are not without
(potential)
benifits as far as performance goes though.

Pretty much certain.

Its starting to look more and more likely.

Um, why? I know Sony has got SFV exclusive, but mainline RE is a much bigger deal in the west. Capcom could not afford to limit its audience in North America by ignoring a huge part of the home console market.

It could just as easily be exclusive to Microsoft

If we're giving credence to the scenario that Sony could buy RE7 exclusivity then you're right, we should consider that it could be Xbone exclusive just as easily. MS have history with this given that they funded and distributed Dead Rising 3, and they're obviously prepared to pay big money for big exclusives, as they have demonstrated with Rise of the Tomb Raider Rising. Bearing in mind that TR 2013 sold >6 million copies as did RE6, so the cost to get both games exclusive would likely be similar. And further, Phil Spencer admitted that they'd bought Tomb Raider so they have something similar to Uncharted, and given Sony have Until Dawn and reportedly another horror game in the works, maybe MS would decide that paying for RE7 exclusivity would be worthwhile so they have an 'equivalent' in their portfolio.

If MS/Sony/Ninty are going to fund anything, they should fund a new Dragon's Dogma or Onimusha.

RE is tired. Let it rest outback and quietly fade away.

While you're right in terms of potentially striking gold and growing a franchise, MS and Sony are probably more interested in buying a game they know is going to sell 4+ million copies. From Capcom's perspective they should be looking to growing a new franchise like Dragon's Dogma, which can compliment their top franchises RE, SF and MH. Given the popularity of fantasy genre games at the moment I think it's very worth trying to grow DD after what was presumably a relatively flat debut.

While I don't know the nature of the Street Fighter V deal I'm pretty sure Resident Evil is the bigger franchise. Looking at their multi-platform release plans for Revelations 2 I'd guess that RE isn't going exclusive anytime soon. I think the bigger question is what the heck will RE7 even look like? After playing both Revelations and RE6 I'm much more excited for Revelations 2 than I am for RE7.

Crayon

Unlikely. SF5 is an opportunity to co-develop a game that will win more mindshare than sales. Covering ~$7.5 million in lost profits for Capcom just to make life hard for xbox players probably isn't a priority for sony.

Neoxon

Resident Evil & Monster Hunter are the guaranteed money-makers in Capcom's eyes (not to mention RE's western popularity), it'll be multi-platform.
Watch me get proven wrong.

btags

At this point, with capcom having had large franchises exclusive to both platforms (Dead Rising and Street Fighter), I would not be surprised if they have future exclusives for their bigger franchises. It is a crappy situation but it might make the most finncial sense for them to be exclusive to certain platforms.

killatopak

There's a decent chance it will based on the SFV treatment but if they want to profit on the short term, I think they need a multiplatform release.

I would be so fucking happy if Resident Evil 7 is announced as a PlayStation 4-only exclusive. I'll be disappointed if it's a multiplatform game. Multiplatform = no buy.
I'm sorry what, that is a stupid decision, hell limiting a series like this to only one console will probably kill the series off when compared to being on multiple platforms.

On Topic: The most I can see is timed exclusive dlc to a platform not the entire game.

Maybe but I doubt it. I think capcom is looking for buyers for all its franchises.

I think MS was willing to let Sony pay for street fighter due to them already having there own exclusive fighter.

I don't think Microsoft would be willing to let Sony do that with resident evil.

Top Bottom