• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will Sony come out with a PS4 Digital Edition

KAL2006

Banned
I was thinking now that we know PS5 will have both disk and digital version. And cross geb games likely being a thing for a while as well as the rumoured Lockhart from Microsoft.

A PS4 Digital Edition at $199 sounds like a good idea.

I think once the PS5 comes out they will also stop producing PS4 Pro similar to how Microsoft are going to stop producing the One X as the premium option doesn't make sense as the next gen system is automatically going to be that premium option.

Something like this will make alot of sense
PS4 Digital Edition 500GB + 2 months PS Now - $199
PS4 500GB - $299
PS5 Digital Edition + 2 months PS Now - $399
PS5 - $499

Of course a disk drive doesn't cost $100, most likely $15. But Sony just take a hit and get people to invest in digital ecosystem so they can take a bigger cut in game sales

Birdo

Banned
Maybe.

They need to offset the costs of the PS5 with a cheaper console. So maybe a cheaper PS4 will be released.

Codes 208

Once the ps5 launches i believe the focus will be shifting to the new system and clearing out current stock. I dont believe theyre interested in making another PS4 model (especially when they can just price drop the current one to $200)

I think the digital edition is quite ballsy, given the amount of free advertising space all retail stores give them but I guess this is the way things are headed. No sense taking a hit on the profits if hardly anyone is using the drives.

Will a PS4 discless edition appear? Well I guess that's down to how well it still sells. I know people shifted significantly to digital games this gen. Could make sense if they do new models again, the PS3 got a super-slim ghetto model.

I don't really believe they so come out with any new PS4 models. I remember they said they wanted people to jump on the PS5 as quickly as possible and making new models will just slow that down.

Once the ps5 launches i believe the focus will be shifting to the new system and clearing out current stock. I dont believe theyre interested in making another PS4 model (especially when they can just price drop the current one to $200)

Smaller components and streamlined improvements mean they can't afford not to make a newer model if it is still selling. Plus it brings a new buzz and a new audience to the system.

Last edited:

scalman

how about online edition ? ... ohh wait .. but then what about PS4 phone edition. its ps4 phone . remember Xperia play ?

Codes 208

Smaller components and streamlined improvements mean they can't afford not to make a newer model if it is still selling. Plus it brings a new buzz and a new audience to the system.
New buzz about an inferior model i guess. Most people buying xbox ones generally avoided the SAD edition like the plague.

they could easilycreate the same buzz by discontinuing the 500gb,cutting the price of the 1tb to $200 and the pro to $300 and advert the crap out if it before the ps5 launches.

Last edited:

Moogle11

Banned
No. They want people to move on to PS5 as quickly as possible.

When companies do a cheap new skU of their old console after the next gen one is out it’s usually mostly aimed at developing nations. Digital only doesn’t make sense in those markets as broadband is less widespread.

New buzz about an inferior model i guess. Most people buying xbox ones generally avoided the SAD edition like the plague.

they could easilycreate the same buzz by discontinuing the 500gb,cutting the price of the 1tb to $200 and the pro to $300 and advert the crap out if it before the ps5 launches.

Yes it is an inferior model. That's the point. Once you get close to £100 a new market is opened up.

They will reduce the price of the current models too in time, but they'd be stupid not to take advantage of this super-casual impulse-buy section of the market also. There are many people just not interested in the Pro at any price, let alone at 300 bucks.

Jigga117

the better question is, why is the ps4 still that expensive (also the xbox)

because people kept buying it at the price it is at and a company is stupid to drop the price if you have consumers seeingthe price as acceptable. When you saw sales drop each month for game consoles they countered with a sales drop. These companies are already on record trying to move on as quickly as possible and simply state whoever has our system today can move forward or stick with what you got. So far one company is providing a smooth transition with accessories and games disc and digital if you go next gen and the other doesn't have a universial solution.

Last edited:
PS4 had it's best sales Last Year, I doubt they will be moving to PS5 that quickly when the PS4 had it's best sales year ever on Year 6.

If they go the Digital only version, then it has to be made smaller and given a 2TB size as 500GB fills up quickly.

I think it will sell great at £179.99 with a similar Disc Based model at £199.99 but with only 1TB storage.

Last edited:
Top Bottom