• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will Sony continuing censorship practices effect your PS5 purchase?

Potential PS5 buyers, would Sony continuing censorship policies effect your purchase?

• Total voters
No, and I think it's stupid to do so. But I won't support games where other people in suits decide what I can or I can't see.
I won't blame the platform

Ryu_Joestar

I don't see why it would have an effect on purchasing a PS5 (unless they begin to do major censorship outside anime tiddies)

Sleepydays

Banned
It solidifies my decision more than anything: I feel like I'm pretty much done after this gen with anything outside of Nintendo. Modern gaming has become (for the most part) bloated and morbid, and I don't enjoy it as much.

Regarding censorship: I don't care too much about the games they're going after right now, but I'd be very surprised if Sony's current approach doesn't go much, much further given time.

Barakov

I'll wait and see. I like using the PS4 so I won't stop using it because Sony is making some bone headed decisions. That being said any game they decide to censor, I will straight up not buy on there. Depending on how things shake up on next gen I could be playing multiplats on Xbox or PC. If Sony is smart they'll make sure their first party studios and firing on all cylinders for next gen. Somebody at Sony sees that things could be potentially be going south for PS5 given how hard they seem to going for BC.

Ar¢tos

No. I'm gay, I can live very well without seeing boobs or butt cracks. When games feature naked middle-aged bearded hairy men, and those get censored, then I'll care.

It's so funny that people dont belive that sony will amp this up and censor games you like, it went from visual novels to DMC5 in a few months, how will it look in a year? will be fun to see how the "weebs btfo, who cares about anime" crowd will react when it happens. I dont even play anime games, but i sure as hell wont be giving money to a platform that censors games that have passed cero, pegi and esrb.

NickFire

I voted no even though I am not guaranteed to buy a PS5. OP - yesterday or the day before I could swear you made a poll with a simple yes or not choice. Please stick to that format on yes or no questions. Polls are ok. But your choices man.

Anyway, Sony has yet to block a game I would actually play. Not sure what the issue is.

nowhat

It's so funny that people dont belive that sony will amp this up and censor games you like, it went from visual novels to DMC5 in a few months, how will it look in a year?
So I have to ask, have you actually played DMC5? As I said before, without all the Internet fuzz, I wouldn't have paid attention. That "censorship" is like two seconds at best, out of a >10h game.

But related to that - there's another scene in the game with a surprisingly convenient lens flare as well. However, apparently that is cross-platform, i.e. present on every version. So, for the benefit of those who feel they're missing out:

Code:
(_x_)

Barakov

I voted no even though I am not guaranteed to buy a PS5. OP - yesterday or the day before I could swear you made a poll with a simple yes or not choice. Please stick to that format on yes or no questions. Polls are ok. But your choices man.

Anyway, Sony has yet to block a game I would actually play. Not sure what the issue is.
Well, they went from censoring anime tittys to censoring a butt in Devil May Cry 5 in a couple of months. So it's possible given their current trajectory it could start to affect more mainstream stuff in the very near future.

I will absolutely not buy a PS5 If they keep this up. I'll stick to Nintendo + PC. When I heard of the first game being afflicted by this I already moved from buying an Ultrabook like I usually do when I get a new machine, to a relatively high end gaming laptop and I've gone to that for DMC5 and Sekiro and others already. On the plus side, way better graphics and 60-144 FPS so ey. It's too bad about the exclusives, but them's the breaks.

Sorry to break this to you - Nintendo did this back in 2015.

That's not breaking anything to me actually. I know about Xenoblade X, they also did it with Bravely Default and more. Goes all the way back to the NES even, but currently they are in fact NOT doing it, not even just to their own games like with the previously mentioned titles. So I guess I'll take it for however long it will last. That's what so clownish about all of this actually, normally you'd expect it from Nintendo most of all.

Last edited:

Enygger_Tzu

Banned
If Sony keeps up, then Sony had lost me, as a customer since the PSX days and around 200-230 games owned in all consoles and a PS+ subscriber.

I will get back to Nintendo and stick with PC gaming.

After all it is not like I am missing on much, the last two games Sony's studios made that I enjoyed were The Last of Us in 13' and the Last Guardian in 16. All others were bland and uninteresting to me.

nowhat

That's not breaking anything to me actually. I know about Xenoblade X, they also did it with Bravely Default and more. Goes all the way back to the NES even, but currently they are in fact NOT doing it, not even just to their own games like with the previously mentioned titles. So I guess I'll take it for however long it will last. That's what so clownish about all of this actually, normally you'd expect it from Nintendo most of all.
I guess this comes down to personal preference then - as far as I've been concerned with the recent Sony censorship, I think having a lens flare for a few seconds really doesn't take away my enjoyment, or is noticeable even. As for Xenoblade X - I never thought that "gee, that girl who is supposed to be 13 but looks way younger even by anime standards should have more skimpy clothing". If I had, I think I would have required some professional assistance.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

A bottom, I take it?

(sorry, couldn't resist)
lol, not really. Versatile.
Tbh, I don't care for nudity in games, it's never a reason to buy a game for me, gameplay and story above everything else!
But I find, the very few, video games dicks that exist to be hilarious because of how unrealistic they look.

It's not about Jaanese games when people say "weeb' there's a different between a game like Metal Gear and a game like onechambara bikini smurai squad, almost all the Nippon Ichi Software library, and Neptunia.
Bullshit. Metal Gear Solid is anime as fuck. Have you seen Raiden? Giant mechs? Half of Metal Gear is basically borrowed from Ghost In the Shell.

a101115-analyse-boss-mgs4-the-beauty-and-the-beast.jpg

You may be thinking there is a difference in your head so you don't have to dirty your self image by associating with "one of those people", but there's not a difference. You one of us, asshole.

Weeb =/= Super Metroid or Metal Slug.

Weeb = Underage girl slashing dragons but naked, or overly anime aesthetic games, or niche visual novels.
latest
latest
latest
?
samus-gata.png
?

So I have to ask, have you actually played DMC5? As I said before, without all the Internet fuzz, I wouldn't have paid attention. That "censorship" is like two seconds at best, out of a >10h game.

But related to that - there's another scene in the game with a surprisingly convenient lens flare as well. However, apparently that is cross-platform, i.e. present on every version. So, for the benefit of those who feel they're missing out:

Code:
(_x_)

Yeah, i pre ordered the deluxe edition for xbox 1, finished it on devil hunter, about to start son of sparda, great game, played 1-4 before. it's not about how many seconds it is, it's about the principle for me, i wont support censorship, there was no reason to censor it.

nowhat

lol, not really. Versatile.
Tbh, I don't care for nudity in games, it's never a reason to buy a game for me, gameplay and story above everything else!
But I find, the very few, video games dicks that exist to be hilarious because of how unrealistic they look.
Glad you weren't offended, that was never the intention (for the record, there's a very specific, and small, subset of people I find attractive - beyond that point, the "naughty bits" are quite irrelevant).

But I have to agree, sexuality (as in actual sex) in games is tolerable at best. It can be charming with some decent writing (or decent fanfic in your head), but it's always more amusing than arousing.

I guess this comes down to personal preference then - as far as I've been concerned with the recent Sony censorship, I think having a lens flare for a few seconds really doesn't take away my enjoyment, or is noticeable even. As for Xenoblade X - I never thought that "gee, that girl who is supposed to be 13 but looks way younger even by anime standards should have more skimpy clothing". If I had, I think I would have required some professional assistance.

Well that's one step and it always start with that one step that seems reasonable but before I know it I'll be looking at daddy government telling me I can't see red blood anymore and it needs to replaced by green blood again like in the past, or Swastikas need to be taken out of the game where you kill Nazis, or religious imagery needs to be taken out, etc etc etc. As long as I can prevent it, I will simply just not give them an inch. That's all really. I don't actually care all that much about Xenoblade X's boobslider but that, to me, is just one stop on the train ride to the shitter.

petran79

Banned
What Nintendo did then is not what they're doing now. After TMS bombed they've since just started relying on the ratings boards to see what needs to be censored instead of deciding for themselves what is or isn't acceptable for their platform.

That is the proper way to do it. Sony on the other hand edit based on tweets by irrelevant and irritated people.

Isa

It matters to me a great deal. I'm currently watching and waiting to see how things continue to play out. I think that as time goes on, they will try to push their "guidelines" on other devs and pubs. Even the west. Granted money talks and it seems Sony is not yet willing to rock that boat, but I wouldn't be too surprised if early next gen sees them take a harder stance across the board. Be it sex, violence, or depictions of special interest groups. My plan right now is to skip the launch and see how things play out. If a multiplatform game releases that I really want I always have my gaming pc for that, but honestly I'm in no hurry to be suckered again.

Plus with my tastes leaning back towards Japanese gaming this past year I just find most western games to be cookie cutter pc safe shite. I know I'm from a far more Rad time but shit man gaming and art used to be about trying new things and pushing boundaries. And since Google and MS are so streaming focused and with games often launching as a buggy mess with laughably greedy price gauging in the form of launch editions and season passes etc and Gaas trying to steal as much grind-time away from the competition I just can't be bothered to care very much if at all. And with arrogant agenda-based translator groups threatening to ruin future titles like Catherine Full Body I'd rather just play the original without their propaganda bull. Honestly for me, gaming is not only what it was for most of my life, but I think its dying. I'll probably stick to hobby's not polluted by SJW venom.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Nothing they have censored so far is enough to make me not buy something. I don’t think they need to censor what they have been, but it hasn’t been a huge deal to me.

I probably won't be buying a PS5. Sony has been moving away from the types of games I want to play anyway, so the censorship isn't exactly the deciding factor, but I'd rather not support a company that treats their customers and third party developers badly just to virtue signal some progressive agenda. Screw that noise.

Zannegan

Of all the reasons I might skip a console, a little self-censorship (or even censprship on behalf of the platform holder) in order to help a game sell in my region has to be about last on the list.

Petrae

It’s so funny to see a platform-holder whose first-party games have sported nudity and sex in the past do a complete Puritanical reversal on sexual content while continuing to publish games of a graphically violent nature. Oh, except for the sacred cow that is The Last of Us, where everything sexual is okay because inclusion or LGBTQ “it’s art” or whatever other bullshit Sony decides to plead.

Is Sony protecting kids? Are they trying to score (more) points with the Left (because California)? Who fucking knows?

The pandering turn that Sony— and possibly other industry players as time goes by— has taken is laughable. “Progress”. Sure.

Imtjnotu

It’s so funny to see a platform-holder whose first-party games have sported nudity and sex in the past do a complete Puritanical reversal on sexual content while continuing to publish games of a graphically violent nature. Oh, except for the sacred cow that is The Last of Us, where everything sexual is okay because inclusion or LGBTQ “it’s art” or whatever other bullshit Sony decides to plead.

Is Sony protecting kids? Are they trying to score (more) points with the Left (because California)? Who fucking knows?

The pandering turn that Sony— and possibly other industry players as time goes by— has taken is laughable. “Progress”. Sure.
5HR.gif

nowhat

Are they trying to score (more) points with the Left (because California)?
Yes, the entire world revolves around the US. California - like seriously? I give equal amounts of fucks to California, Kentucky and Alaska. Which is to say, pretty much close to zero. Nada. Zilch.

Not everything is about the US.

Last edited:
I will absolutely not buy a PS5 If they keep this up. I'll stick to Nintendo + PC. When I heard of the first game being afflicted by this I already moved from buying an Ultrabook like I usually do when I get a new machine, to a relatively high end gaming laptop and I've gone to that for DMC5 and Sekiro and others already. On the plus side, way better graphics and 60-144 FPS so ey. It's too bad about the exclusives, but them's the breaks.

I agree. And to be honest, Japanese 3rd party publishers (or at least smaller ones) doesn't exactly need Sony anymore. They have Switch, PC & mobile.

Last edited:

nowhat

yep. for instance if cyberpunk 2077 has full nudity on xbox and not ps5 thats a problem..
...yep. So Witcher 3 and the expansions were not censored in any way. According to everything we've seen so far, something like TLoU2 won't be either.

So maybe this may come down to "artistic choice"? And if so - I'm not going to miss the underage waivus at all. If something like Cyberpunk 2077 will be censored, I'll have an issue. But thus far, it seems only some of the Asian sensibilities that are being censored*). Which, if I'm being completely honest, are quite creepy.

*) Yeah, that one lens flare in DMC5 is ridiculous - but at the same time, I don't really care, especially as a similar scene later on is censored on all platforms.

Last edited:
Whole console unlikely - they would really need to go into extreme and nuke their first party studios for me to not buy PS5

But I can see few games that I'd normally buy on PS go to Pc or Switch.

Even if it is literally the platform that is causing it?

You mean the console? Like, living chips and plastics?
I'd actually blame the company heads for stupid decisions. But why I shouldn't support games and companies that I think they respect me as a customer and user?
I'm more like to decide on games case by case, to stay informed, reward what I think is good, pass on what I think is bad.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
...yep. So Witcher 3 and the expansions were not censored in any way. According to everything we've seen so far, something like TLoU2 won't be either.

So maybe this may come down to "artistic choice"? And if so - I'm not going to miss the underage waivus at all. If something like Cyberpunk 2077 will be censored, I'll have an issue. But thus far, it seems only some of the Asian sensibilities that are being censored*). Which, if I'm being completely honest, are quite creepy.

*) Yeah, that one lens flare in DMC5 is ridiculous - but at the same time, I don't really care, especially as a similar scene later on is censored on all platforms.

Sounds like a bit of a reach thinking that the censorship is only some sexual content and somehow comes down to artistic choice. You mention The Witcher 3 but that predates this policy and therefore the point is null and void unless Sony actually went and censored past released games. I think that Cyberpunk 2077 is when the controversy is going to hit fever pitch and they will be forced to cross a line.

spawn

It's very annoying. It's just ass and boobs. This is why we have mature ratings for video games. I would still buy a PS5 however because I like Sony's exclusive games.

nowhat

Sounds like a bit of a reach thinking that the censorship is only some sexual content and somehow comes down to artistic choice. You mention The Witcher 3 but that predates this policy and therefore the point is null and void unless Sony actually went and censored past released games. I think that Cyberpunk 2077 is when the controversy is going to hit fever pitch and they will be forced to cross a line.
I think it's first and foremost a matter of having a set of rules, that sexualized content is limited to adults. Where it's fine. Whereas something more objectionable (and much more underage) - get a PC or buy the manga/anime and do your worst. Not judging, but also from a POV of a major platform holder I can see why you don't want that can of worms on your hands.

IF the version of Cyberpunk 2077 will be severely censored on PS4 (or PS5 - we all know it's not coming this gen) I'll buy you a beer. As we'll probably never meet in real life, I'll donate the same sum to charity of your choosing. But thus far, I think I'll drink it myself.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I think it's first and foremost a matter of having a set of rules, that sexualized content is limited to adults. Where it's fine. Whereas something more objectionable (and much more underage) - get a PC or buy the manga/anime and do your worst. Not judging, but also from a POV of a major platform holder I can see why you don't want that can of worms on your hands.

IF the version of Cyberpunk 2077 will be severely censored on PS4 (or PS5 - we all know it's not coming this gen) I'll buy you a beer. As we'll probably never meet in real life, I'll donate the same sum to charity of your choosing. But thus far, I think I'll drink it myself.

Yea I guess we'll have to see. Admittedly I'm not fully aware of all the games Sony has censored to date or plan to in the future but I can't see them censoring DMC5 and not sensoriing Cyberpunk. That just seems hypocritical. To you point though, there is plenty of time to right the ship prior to Cyberpunk's release but if I were a betting man, I'd wager that Cyberpunk will either cause a mass exodus and people would buy it on PC or Xbox 2 prior to its release, or they cave to pressure and let it go. The latter is less likely because it would piss off a whole lot of other people and developers who have had past games censored.

I’m honestly extremely skeptical of next generation as a whole because of the direction the gaming industry is heading isn’t very appealing to me. The moronic censorship policy is contributing to this as well, but the rise in online only games, multiplayer, dlc, micro transactions, streaming, etc makes me want to definitely true a wait and see approach.

0neAnd0nly

Consider me in the still most likely to buy PS5 day 1, but also worried about Sony’s current direction.

Sony is my overall #1 generally, but I do find their modern push to allow/ disallow art or artwork to be disturbing. I am a pretty “prude” guy too, so this isn’t coming from someone who enjoys edgy content at all. I simply know it sets a worrisome precedent.

The truth is that since Tretton left, I feel like PS has been stuck and/ or taking steps back. He basically was a key factor in rebuilding ps3 and giving PS4 the lead and hype, and unfortunately I don’t personally believe Shawn has been the answer or will ever be. I am not fond of his handling of PS NA, however I would love for him to continue to prove me wrong.

Just my .02. I will say that if Sony continues to put out such streamlined content (their e3 2018 showcase was like the same games with different skins), continues to stifle their Japanese games and market, and gets cocky regarding consumers again - that the generation after next may very well see me jump ship. But again, for now - I am still a PS guy.

Mr Hyde

No, not in the slightest. The games being censored are not games I´m interested in anyway, and even so, boycotting a console because minor censorship on anime T & A is fucking stupid. But each to his own I guess.

Top Bottom