• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will Super Mario 3D World be the beginning of the turnaround for Wii U?

Nope. Wii U will get a holiday bump, but January will be back to the doldrums. 3D World would've had better synergy with Donkey Kong to build an attractive holiday proposition. The line-up would've still been thin, but now let's look at the exclusives:

Mario 3D World
Wii Fit
Wii Party
2 download-only, remade Wii Sports games.

3D World might have some combined effect with Wii Party or the Wii Sports downloads, but even that's a maybe. I don't see the people willing to buy in for 3D World being the same as the Wii Fit crowd. Certainly the kids who like Mario aren't asking for Wii Fit. Probably their best bet is with families, but $300 is nothing to sneeze at and the iPad still exists.

The question is really if Wii Fit and Party will have any effect along with the promise of upcoming Wii Sports downloads. The cost is still higher than Wii was, and that came with a game. The Wii ____ games aren't going to be fresh experiences that capture the zeitgeist, and Wii Sports being locked away in the eShop makes it a harder sell (and a piecemeal remake isn't an easy sell anyway).

So then you have to look at Mario 3D World as a game that appeals more to the demographic that actually spends big money on games. To that demographic, are they going to be willing to buy in because of a single 3D platformer? When other consoles are on the shelves? And if they are traditional gamers, are they fine with having 3D Land on the 3DS?

Also the jury is out if Nintendo and the game itself can actually convince the general gaming press to generate the kind of free hype that accompanies a game like Galaxy. I'd guess their attention will be diverted elsewhere, leaving Nintendo to have no clear target. Their aim falling in a nebulous area between Wii Fit and a 3D platformer, which is uncoincidentally one of the key problems of the platform as a whole.

Baleoce

It'll be interesting to see, but i think Mario Kart is the title Wii U had to have for the holidays.

Yeah, and certainly in places like the UK where Mario Kart traditionally does very well. I was extremely surprised when they said it would be next year, considering the circumstances.

Gsnap

It's already sold a Wii U to plenty of people on gaf. We'll see how it affects the average consumer.

UNCMark

Banned
This is incorrect.

It's pathetic that I've seen more ads on TV this year for two consoles that haven't been released yet than for the one new console that's been out nearly a year. Nintendo Directs are an awful way to get the word out to the masses. They might want to try real marketing.

*shrugs*

Depends on what you mean by turnaround.

I can see it maybe tripling it's current monthly rate in America. So around 100.000 units in nonholiday months. But that's going to take everyone wanting the games coming this fall and onward. I don't know if Mario, Smash, and Kart have that kind of pull right now.

It has an insane attach rate of 80-something percent, so I don't think it's a stretch to say that people that bought the thing got it for NSMBU.

When dealing with system launches, it's not quite so simple. There are a bunch of people who would have bought the Wii U day 1 regardless of the games. Pickings were relatively slim, so NSMBU was a natural choice even if it wasn't a "system seller".

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Super Mario 3D World, Mario Kart 8, and Smash Brothers U are going to invigorate gamers with affinity to the Nintendo brand. Absolutely. The system will do some great software sales (finally) and much improved hardware sales.

The problem is they are going to spike sales while still pandering to Nintendo faithful and some diasporic Nintendo fans. They need a couple of big first party or third party published software that brings in other market shares.

Still. Some momentum is at least encouraging.

2014 is looking bleak for the Wii U so I don't think so

Glad to be proven by Nintendo tho

That's the biggest problem. DKC is the only one with any sort of solid release period (February). The other two stars of their 2014 calender have generic release dates of spring (MK8) and 2014 (Smash Bros). This is especially bad because they really don't have the third party support to carry the console through periods when their first party developers don't have anything to release.

So 3D World may give it a shot in the arm, but it's going to keep collapsing unless they can put together consistent release schedule.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
It would have to be one of the greatest turn arounds in history

61jf.png

I knew it was bad, but didn't realize it was this bad.

Dysun

Major titles will provide small temporary bumps, the course is already set. Anyone expecting a complete turnaround is in for a disappointment
No third party support, and sparse first party titles make it impossible to keep up significant momentum

Nope. Not at all. Mario doesn't save consoles anymore.

Mario always sell console but turn the whole thing around? Nah.

To save WiiU, Nintendo need to do something as drastic as Sony making the Vita TV. Not that I say the Vita TV will turn the Vita around but the change that WiiU needs should be in that magnitude. Good ol "Cutting the Price" and "More Mario!" tactic won't work anymore.

prwxv3

Major titles will provide small temporary bumps, the course is already set. Anyone expecting a complete turnaround is in for a disappointment
No third party support, and sparse first party titles make it impossible to keep up significant momentum

The obligatory Nintendo droughts will kill all the momentum their top tier games will generate. If Nintendo could not avoid droughts with the Wii (that has much better third party support then the WiiU) how are they supposed to do that with the WiiU that has much less third party support and requires much more dev time.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Software moves hardware.

There's going to be a lot more pieces of software that justify a Wii U purchase this holiday compared to last year.

Mario Kart 8 missing this holiday was a mistake though. That would have really moved hardware.

It will certainly help, no doubt. But turnaround like selling near N64 or Wii levels? I just don't see it. Unless Mario 3D World becomes a hit with the mass media.

nampad

Didn't NSMB sell much better than the Mario Galaxies on the Wii? I don't think 3D Mario games are really pulling in so many new people although this one might be better due to the multiplayer.
There will be a boost for sure because some Nintendo fans are still on the fence, but if there is a game that I would pick as the saving grace, it would rather be Mario Kart.

pizza dog

Banned
Nope. Mario Kart or Smash. Probably Mario Kart at that. There are a zillion and one Mario platformers; one and a half already on WiiU.

Historically NSMBWii outsold both Galaxy's, and the U's NSMB is already out. 3D World looks amazing but its rehashed aesthetic is gonna keep it from being a Galaxy-like must have for gamers. It will give the system some sales but it won't be a turnaround.

Combined with Zelda, Smash and Kart, the real heavy hitting system sellers, I think it will help lead to a huge increase in sales however

Timeaisis

If Nintendo can do a really great media blitz around SM3DW, Wii Party U, Wii Fit U, elaborating it's a completely new console, then yes, I can see it turning around. It has a good library already (despite what people say), I think the key is they need to market, market, market. Just make people aware there is a new system with a new Mario and a new fun "party-game" (like Wii Sports was for Wii), and they'll have a pretty good turnout.

If that's a "turn-around" or not, well that depends on your definition.

mui

Neo Member
Historically NSMBWii outsold both Galaxy's, and the U's NSMB is already out. 3D World looks amazing but its rehashed aesthetic is gonna keep it from being a Galaxy-like must have for gamers. It will give the system some sales but it won't be a turnaround.

Combined with Zelda, Smash and Kart, the real heavy hitting system sellers, I think it will help lead to a huge increase in sales however

Lets not forget that NSMBWii was the first 2D Mario on consoles since 20 years! I think the new bros. Series is a little bit overused and fatigued.

Futureman

Absolutely.

The Wii U is poised to have it's finest holiday season yet with a slew of entertaining and exclusive titles. HD graphics and the innovative Wii-U gamepad are marquee features.

terrisus

Not a chance.

While Super Mario 3D World and New Super Mario Bros. U are different styles of games, it's hard to imagine that many people being interested in Super Mario 3D World who weren't interested in the launch New Super Mario Bros. U.

Obviously at the forefront is SM3DW. I'm of the opinion that it's exactly the killer app the Wii U needs, coupled with a recent price drop, and hopefully (keyword) an uptick in marketing.

Price is a big deal obviously... but I'd think anybody who was excited by SM3DW would already own a Wii U? I figured NSMBU was a quality enough offering by reputation and as such I'd question this game making much difference at all. Similarly the other big titles could be seen as preaching to the choir (not a bad thing, but not something that will suddenly boost sales either).

Personally, whilst it looks great, I'm still dubious about it having any real length or challenge, which are my big concerns. Hopefully it does erase those fears and it really turns the Wii U into a strong competitor.

I don't think the Wii U will be charting huge numbers to be a threat for PS4 or possibly the Xbone, but it will coast along and remain profitable during its lifetime.

Arkam

I think it will be the beginning of some level of momentum of sure.
Mario looks great and has a lot of people excited.
Couple that with WW HD, Sonic, DK, MK8 coming in the next '6 months' & Smash Bros later n 2014. Bayonetta 2 and X at some point.

Makes it more appealing to jump in and get a WiiU.
Those games listed above plus what is already released make it solid console worth owning.
I think its just a matter value/price issue for most soon.
Especially when MS/Sony will be competing for those same dollars.

So it will be a turn around for sure, just anyones guess on size.

MarkusRJR

Nope. No major third party support apart from Ubisoft (which may stop depending on this holiday's software sales), very long first party droughts, too expensive even at $300 for main audience, etc.

They might have had a chance if they had Mario Kart and DKC this year, but having only a 10 year old HD rerelease, a niche Japanese action game, and a Mario platformer is not enough to make a major turnaround. The fact Xbox One and PS4 are also coming out is going to further remove the Wii U from the spotlight.

I love how people are claiming the Wii U has absolutely no chance, citing the new systems when the combined sales of XB1 and PS4 is currently zero. I don't know how Wii U will do this holiday and beyond, but I don't know how XB1 and PS4 will do either. Outside the bubble of GAF, things aren't so cut and dry. Did you people not learn anything from the Wii? I will say this though, systems' fortunes have been turned around by a single game (or a handful of them) before, and the response to the Super Mario 3D World trailer yesterday was interesting, to say the least. I think this race is anyone's to win, even Nintendo's. I think it's foolish to count them out just because they had a bad first year.

Ouroboros

I think a combination of a PS4/Xbone content drought and a strong WiiU lineup will save the WiiU. But if "next gen" systems have a continuous strong lineup each month the WiiU is done for. Mine would still be collecting dust if it wasn't for WW HD.

Edit: Also, Nintendo will need to market HARD this upcoming holiday season to compete. They had a price drop already, right?

Terrell

These threads are the hilarious inversion of the "when will the Wii fad die" threads of the first 3 years of the Wii's lifespan.

I'm gonna be interested to see these next-gen sales #s that everyone has such intense faith in being pre-ordained.

It'll definitely help, and it's a good start, but Mario isn't going to do it alone this time. If we're lucky, the Wii U will surpass what the Gamecube was around the same time frame - and that's a big change; a good change.

It's going to be a combination of Zelda, which is already doing its job, Mario which seems to be picking up a lot of buzz and a few other titles that people have probably written off as system sellers. Wii Sports Club will do good things for the system, but they should really bundle it along with Nintendoland or Super Mario 3D Land this holiday. Also, Wii Fit U should move quite a few units. Especially because it's free if you already own the first one. But again, Nintendo need to market that. How are John & Sue Person, who use Wii Fit daily, going to know that, that bundle or promotion exists?

So yeah, Mario and the combination of the rest of the upcoming titles will help. Don't expect Wii levels of hype, but a good amount of buzz this holiday and probably moving enough units to surpass the Gamecube. It's basically a re-launch.

Tuck

I hope so. It worked with the 3DS.

I'd say its the Wii U's last chance - if it doesn't work, nothing will.

I don't think mainline Mario games have that power now. Nobody wanted one for NSMBu and that game's predecessor sold gangbusters. Shame because I'm buying a Wii U for this

Tuck

Doubt it. If NSMB U didn't bring the Mario crowd in I don't see 3D World doing to much better.

But it did? The Wii U had an alright launch. And that was carried by what looked like a Wii game.

Expecting NSMB U to carry the system for half a year is a bit unreasonable.

No way. The Wii U is doa from the start.
The PS4 and XBone's pre orders alone already crushed Wii U's sales numbers to date.

There are simply no game support other than Nintendo games and sonic.

Top Bottom