• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will we ever see the next Spielberg in this era of producer controlled blockbusters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheebo

Banned
The rebirth of the blockbuster came with Jaws 1975 and cemented by Star Wars in 1977 and ushered in an era where studios had no idea what to do so they gave the keys to the kingdom to young directors like Steven Spielberg, George Lucas, James Cameron, and so on. Which led to director created and controlled massive blockbusters like the original Star Wars, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Jaws, E.T., Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Alien, The Terminator, and so on. Many kickstarted franchises but organically, there was no plan in place, no producer laying out decade long arcs that every film had to adhere to.

Studios trusted them and their producers remained very hands off in this period. Spielberg even started producing and stuck very closely to this vision of being very hands off and letting the director do what they want which lead to other director controlled blockbusters like the Back to the Future trilogy.

Later examples like Peter Jackson on Lord of the Rings, left to pretty much do whatever he wanted. Or the Wachoski's on the Matrix.

However we are now in an era where Marvel does 2-3 movies a year and the producer is the lead voice on the film, where directors can get kicked off a film and have them heavily changed in reshoots to fit the overall goal of the producer controlled franchise. And now it is quickly becoming the norm. WB is doing it with DC. And ironically the same with Star Wars with their now yearly movies.

With these producer led franchises of 2-3 Marvel movies a year, soon 2-3 DC movies a year, and a Star Wars movie a year....and who knows what else. Even when a voice can come through like James Gunn in Guardians of the Galaxies it is still part of these massive hands-on studio franchises that adhere to the overall goals of the main producer and the franchises long-term plan.

Is there any room for the director controlled unique blockbusters in this genre anymore? Major blockbuster films defined by the directors vision, not part of a massive franchise plan. It seems like those days look pretty much over for now.

Nibel

Well, with the Marvel movies it's because every single one of them is like a tiny puzzle piece that needs to be part of a bigger puzzle that is the MCU. Not sure if this would work if every movie didn't have some kind of consistency.

At least, that's my take on them.

Cheebo

Banned
Lol.

I like Nolan's films but he's no Spielberg.

Edit: Reread the OP and my comment is dumb. Yeah, Nolan fits that bill pretty well.

Like I said earlier, he kind of got in there at the end of things, hitting it big with Batman Begins 10 years ago leading to The Dark Knight. You'd never get his type of Batman films today. It's all about building a universe now with films every year from a multitude of directors.

And Nolan would have never got Inception without The Dark Knight, a Batman movie that wouldn't come about in this obsessive universe building sort of era of blockbusters.

I would include him with my later examples like Jackson. I am mainly using today as in post-Avengers when every studio decided to copy the marvel method and do yearly or multiple times a year movies in a franchise that isn't director led. Which is what is going on with DC, Star Wars, etc.

The system changed because it wasn't working, movies were dropping in profitability and accessability so they asked younger filmmakers to create stuff as a last resort. When the current system stops working and movies starts making less and less, the studios will have more reasons to ask directors to do their thing to create new stuff.

It's started small with several types of film like Looper, Grand Budapest Hotel, Spring Breakers and Fincher. What we've seen with CoD will probably happen with blockbusters and the whole cycle will restart. Then directors will have more input as they are the ones with ideas. Then the Rian Johnsons, Joseph Kosinskis, Darren Aronofskys, Neil Blomkamps etc. will have a chance to shine.

Say what you want about him but Nolan fits the bill as well as anyone. He's no Spielberg by a million miles but he can make any big budget movie he wants.

Raistlin

Will we ever see the next Spielberg in this era of producer controlled blockbusters?
Given that Spielberg himself is peddling dreck like Transformers as a producer ... obviously not. Basically only the rare bird like Nolan will be given the chance to take risks with any sort of real budget.

At least with the changing market the internet and streaming services have provided we can get risky stuff at lower budgets though. And since tech has advanced in terms of photography and video editing / CG, there's definitely some democratization there ... and the drop off is nowhere near what it used to be. We'll see more District 9's in the future.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
It's a shame we'll probably lose Rian Johnson to Star Wars for the next 5 years. And that virtually every other filmmaker to do a competent low-to-mid budget action or sci-fi movie has jumped into the mega budget franchise game.

Anyone know what is Jaws production budget adjusted for inflation?

I believe that'd be around $35-40m.

Yes, it will be Duncan Jones.
Meh. Moon is overrated, Source Code was tripe, and he's off doing World of Warcraft bullshit.

Nolan is that guy.

The problem is no directors seem to also right in mainstream Hollywood nowadays.

It's a shame we'll probably lose Rian Johnson to Star Wars for the next 5 years. And that virtually every other filmmaker to do a competent low-to-mid budget action or sci-fi movie has jumped into the mega budget franchise game.
After Looper I wouldn't be mad if he never made another movie.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
After Looper I wouldn't be mad if he never made another movie.
But Looper was fantastic...

I'd say Abrams as well, but "Into Darkness" while fun, was def made by committee.

Abrams hasn't directed anything good since the Lost pilot. #realtalk

His great personal project Super 8 was a hollow, soulless facsimile of 80s Amblin movies. He can use all the Spielberg tropes he wants, but he doesn't have a quarter of the genuine heart. He's just senselessly copying far better directors.

Raistlin

Next to irrelevant, the industry is completely different now.

That is a good point.

For the most part, the sorts of budgets and advertising dollars we now see in the typical summer blockbuster were entirely unheard of back in the day. And that's even after adjusting for inflation. It's a different beast in terms of financials, and therefore has inherent restrictions in order to get the go-ahead.

So other than a very few elite directors that have proven track records, you just can't expect 'summer blockbuster' sorts of money on anything that isn't what we now come to expect from a summer blockbuster.

Dead

well not really...yet
I don't see it happening honestly. The last director to fit into that mold is Peter Jackson at this point. He clearly does what he wants. Same with Chris Nolan to an extent.

But I don't see anyone else. Maybe Blompkamp depending on his future film choices. Meanwhile you have directors that people seem to think have a vision like Duncan Jones who instead is wasting his time with a fucking Warcraft movie.

Industry has changed either way. Will be a sad day when everyone mentioned in the op is no longer making movies and we have to suffer through more producer driven cape shitflicks directed by nobodies.

Raistlin

I'd say the best example in terms of pushing budgets is actually Cameron. But he's all about pushing the envelope in terms of technology, not story telling. His movies are safe in terms of content / concept. He gets a pass due to his record, and the fact that his technology advances end up trickling down.

bomma_man

It's not like the superhero boom can last forever, audiences will eventually tire of them. It depends on what they're replace with.

FeD.nL

Well are we not getting the best of both worlds at this point, not talking specific directors, but a year and a half ago we got Giant Mechs fighting Giant Monsters on a $190m budget. Past fall we got a film discussing the fifth dimension and quantum mechanics on a $165m budget. I mean in less than a month we're getting Jupiter Ascending which probably has a production budget of over a $100m.

Given that Spielberg himself is peddling dreck like Transformers as a producer ... obviously not. Basically only the rare bird like Nolan will be given the chance to take risks with any sort of real budget.

Speilberg is slowly shifting from a full-time director to a full-time producer.

Raistlin

Yes. But what I'm saying is he isn't really producing the sort of films he would have directed back in the day. As others of said though, that's really due to the changing financials of today's summer blockbuster.

I'd personally rather see him produce more experimental stuff :\

Heigic

I don't think so. The same thing has happened in gaming too. As someone that dislikes superhero movies the next 5 years are going to suck.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
The rebirth of the blockbuster came with Jaws 1975 and cemented by Star Wars in 1977 and ushered in an era where studios had no idea what to do so they gave the keys to the kingdom to young directors like Steven Spielberg, George Lucas, James Cameron, and so on. Which led to director created and controlled massive blockbusters like the original Star Wars, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Jaws, E.T., Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Alien, The Terminator, and so on. Many kickstarted franchises but organically, there was no plan in place, no producer laying out decade long arcs that every film had to adhere to.

Studios trusted them and their producers remained very hands off in this period. Spielberg even started producing and stuck very closely to this vision of being very hands off and letting the director do what they want which lead to other director controlled blockbusters like the Back to the Future trilogy.

Actually, it was the success of the blockbuster films like Jaws and Star Wars that killed the era of the director as auteur period in Hollywood in the 70s as the suits tried to imitate the success of those films. Also the fact several box office bombs like Heaven's Gate caused the suits to balk at giving directors more power and gave it back to the producers. You should see the documentary Easy Riders, Raging Bulls if you're interested in that period in film history

Abounder

Banned
I thought JJ Abrams had quite a lot of control, for example he was offered the entire sequel trilogy and rewrote Episode 7, but his career took off before Avengers like Nolan's. But yea it seems unlikely that we will get original blockbusters like the 70's/etc - the 2000's trended towards building, adapting, and making sequels off of brands worldwide.

Cheebo

Banned
Actually, it was the success of the blockbuster films like Jaws and Star Wars that killed the era of the director as auteur period in Hollywood in the 70s as the suits tried to imitate the success of those films. Also the fact several box office bombs like Heaven's Gate caused the suits to balk at giving directors more power and gave it back to the producers. You should see the documentary Easy Riders, Raging Bulls if you're interested in that period in film history

I have seen it. And read the book it was based on. Yes, it helped bring back the studio but there is no doubt in the era of these "Phase" based franchises that will have multiple entries a year things are far far worse and a lot less room for big unique blockbusters to grow. I mean compare top 10 grossing films the last few years to the 90s. Far more franchises.

Wait, Star Wars is going to be a yearly series now?

That doesn't seem sensible.
Yep yearly. They have dated films for the next 6 years.

I love star wars (see the avatar!) But 2-3 Marvel Universe movies a year, 2-3 DC Universe movies a year, 1 Star Wars movie a year, not to mention all the other copycat universe franchises that will happen...there just isn't any room left.

I agree with what has been said. The "AAA" gaming scene has morphed into a very similar beast with Call of Duty and the like.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I think the prevalence of CGI and the type of "directing" Lucas did with the prequels is diminishing the role of the director since so much can be done in post, from tweaking expressions to deleting entire actors from shots. Why spend expensive camera time getting just the right take when you can craft it later?

Since the budgets are huge, the studios want absolute security and adherence to their market driven formula. Unless we front the 150 million in a crowdfunded move, I can't argue with their caution.

Abrams has already kind of fit the role. Star Wars seems to be a sequence break for him (since he's not taking an active role in the story work) - but he's very hands-on with his other recent directorial efforts. Nolan as well.

It seems like only nolan and Jackson are given "do whatever the fuck you want here's 200 million" passes

Neither of them are ever going to have that Spielberg streak in them though. That kind of relevancy comes once in a lifetime.

Oh and james Cameron but he's stuck with the one franchise until he retires it's looking like

It seems like only nolan and Jackson are given "do whatever the fuck you want here's 200 million" passes

Neither of them are ever going to have that Spielberg streak in them though. That kind of relevancy comes once in a lifetime.

Oh and james Cameron but he's stuck with the one franchise until he retires it's looking like
Cameron will be done with Avatar less than 4 years from now. He's only ever said he's doing the trilogy of sequels which will shoot simultaneously this year.

All those reports of him only making Avatar movies from now on are the best example of the the worst in Internet reporting. One rag taking a quote out of context and the rest repeating it.

Ridley327

I don't know about slowly shifting. Once he established himself as a box office force by the time Raiders of the Lost Ark came out, he used his name on the films he produced for various directors to get them a boost. The man has always been incredibly savvy about how the business of making films is supposed to work, and he's had as good a track record as a producer as you can get for over 30 years now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom