• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will you be trolling the GOP this primary sesaon voting for Trump?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Donald Trump is not fucking funny:

Consider, if you will, what did occur in the immediate aftermath of Trump’s remarks about “roughing up” Black Lives Matter protesters: Two nights later, a trio of white supremacists in Minneapolis invaded a Black Lives Matter protest there and shot five people, in an act that had been carefully planned and networked through the Internet.

What this powerfully implies is that Trump has achieved that kind of twilight-zone level of influence where he can simply demonize a target with rhetoric suggestive of violent retribution and his admirers will act out that very suggestion. It’s only a step removed from the fascist leader who calls out his paramilitary thugs to engage in violence...

What is most troubling, though, is the momentum that Trump’s candidacy has given that tide. He may not himself lack any real ideological footing, but he has laid the groundwork for a fascist groundswell that could someday be ridden to power by a similarly charismatic successor who is himself more in the mold of an ideological fascist. And it doesn’t take a very long look down the roll of 2016 Republican candidates to find a couple of candidates who might fit that mold.

Trump may not be fascist, but he is empowering their existing elements in American society; even more dangerously, his Tea Party brand of right-wing populism is helping them grow their ranks, along with their potential to recruit, by leaps and bounds. Not only that, he is making all this thuggery and ugliness seem normal. And that IS a serious problem.

http://dneiwert.blogspot.com/2015/11/donald-trump-may-not-be-fascist-but-he.html

The whole article is worth reading. But the idea that we can "troll" the GOP without it blowing up in our face is the height of stupidity. Donald Trump is dangerous, and the more establishment liberals laugh him off or, even worse, encourage him, the more time he's given to recruit followers into his dangerous white supremacist base.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Playing with fire, mate.

blackmirror.png

HylianTom

Banned
Just to be certain, I'd like to clarify:
Do people who use the term "troll voting" see a distinction between actual troll voting and strategic voting?

zeshakag

Are we really gonna look down on people who are apathetic about voting in a thread about ironically voting for the lolz?

Dear anyone thinking about doing this:

Donald Trump's candidacy for the nomination is a national DISGRACE. Foreign newspapers discuss his antics daily. His domestic support becomes more and more riled up with each horrible statement he makes.

It is NOT a game. If you vote for him as some sort of immature troll, congratulations, you just contributed to making America appear like a nation that would seriously consider a disgraceful, xenophobic liar for its highest executive office, and contributed to ISIS propaganda about how Americans hate Muslims.

Oh yes, real funny, hahaha. No, it's grow up time if that's how you're thinking.

About a week ago I was seriously considering voting for Trump to put the easier opponent up against Clinton.

After yesterday I'm convinced Trump is a threat to humanity, world security, and American ideals, and I don't want to try playing with fire. I will vote against Trump definitely now, it's just a matter of deciding who is next most likely that is not Cruz.

I'm generally trying to show people that he's not just a "funny troll."

Made this video to try to convey that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fvoG_CfmO8

My wife watched and was basically appalled - she doesn't stay on top of the specific news stories and developments..

esms

As cynical as I have gotten over the years, this gets my vote. I've seen enough elections to know that no true change really happens. For me personally no changes have happened regardless of who is at the helm over the past 40+ years.

Minus the Bush stimulus check which caused a spike in inflation which actually made me lose money.

And most of the states voting doesn't matter anyway, it's all up to a couple of states to decide the outcome.

My apathy is at all time highs, and I haven't been around nearly as long as you have...

kirby_fox

Banned
I honestly think that Trump expects those votes, so don't give them to him.

Everything he does is a power play. His fighting with Fox News or other outlets, his talking about demanding money to go to a debate, making fun of the reporter. Everything he does is a power play to get people to see him as powerful. And you know what happens then? He gets more followers, because people follow powerful people with the right rhetoric.

He could get up there and call a bunch of people every racial slur in the book, say the media is misinterpreting and out to get him, and people will believe him. This is dangerous rhetoric that basically makes people believe him over anyone else. Any word that comes out of his mouth-- no that's not what was meant, you're out to get me because you don't want to hear the truth!

Him getting the nomination makes him more powerful. He needs to be desperately shut down. Vote for Jeb if you want to troll the GOP, he's not gonna beat Clinton/Sanders either and his rhetoric isn't as batshit crazy as Trump or Cruz or Carson. Hell, Cruz and Carson are better choices here even because they aren't doing what Trump is doing. And I fear that if he gets the nomination, that just gives power to the hate that is inside his supporters. Now imagine these hate filled people are expecting Trump to win and he loses...you think they're not going to get violent when they already have been?

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Pretty glad lots of places have closed primaries to cut off fuckery like this, or at least put more hurdles in place.

benjipwns

Banned
Pretty glad lots of places have closed primaries to cut off fuckery like this, or at least put more hurdles in place.
Quite frankly, they should all be caucuses or conventions. Why should the taxpayer pay for the logistics of two political corporations' decision making process, one of which they likely abhor?

Miles X

Agree. It's all fun and games now. But we honestly need a good fucking president in the office and really shouldn't be joked around when the time comes to vote.

And there are better alternatives to Trump? (I mean on the Republican field). They're all awful.

My primary doesn't really matter much, and knowing my state he's likely to win anyway, but sure, if I'm feeling particularly depressed and suicidal that day, I'll toss him a vote.

And there are better alternatives to Trump? (I mean on the Republican field). They're all awful.

They may all be awful, but they aren't all "ban all the brown people and nuke the Middle East" awful. I agree with Ted Cruz on literally zero things; I would prefer him to Trump. Ditto the rest of the GOP field, who seem to have the good sense to not blanket ban specific religions (even if their policies are largely terrible).

Miles X

They may all be awful, but they aren't all "ban all the brown people and nuke the Middle East" awful. I agree with Ted Cruz on literally zero things; I would prefer him to Trump. Ditto the rest of the GOP field, who seem to have the good sense to not blanket ban specific religions (even if their policies are largely terrible).

Have any come out and opposed Trump tho? I honestly wouldn't put it past them to agree with him. Carson came out with just as much crazy shit!

Out of all of them I prefer Trump because in my eyes, he is still a bit of a clown, whereas the rest seem quite capable with their evil.

jmdajr

Have any come out and opposed Trump tho? I honestly wouldn't put it past them to agree with him. Carson came out with just as much crazy shit!

Out of all of them I prefer Trump because in my eyes, he is still a bit of a clown, whereas the rest seem quite capable with their evil.

They have. Specifically on banning Muslims.

boiled goose

good with gravy

Wow. Cruz is actually the closest to trump on policy but is worse on taxes and being a sellout to the rich. Plus being more religious.

He said we should only let Christian refugees in.

Cruz is THE WORST and most dangerous candidate of the lot. Trumps demagoguery plus religious theocrat plus corrupt politician plus tea party fuckery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom