• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will you tell your kid/future kid that Santa is real?

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadbeef

My daughter is two this year and we have another child on the way. I've been telling her that I am Santa Claus periodically this season, but telling her not to tell anyone else. Sometimes she will say "Daddy!" when someone talks to her about Santa and its funny because nobody but the two of us know why she is saying Daddy. I will catch her eye and give her a "shhhh!" motion when she does.

Rootbeer

Banned
I have great memories of being a kid from when I still believed in Santa. I think it's a very fun tradition that adds a spark of magic to the lives of children. I'll gladly continue it.

highrider

Banned
I've never been fond of the idea, but my wife wanted to see how she'd react so when my daughter was 3 we told her Santa was going to come down the chimney to bring all her presents. In response she seemed a bit scared and said, "Nobody's going to come down the chimney, that's just pretend." We were both a bit surprised and I was pretty proud of her.

We'd never told her anything about Santa prior so I imagine being told a strange man is going to sneak into your house through the chimney at night might set off even the youngest bullshit detectors. This year she's 4 and says "I don't like him," when she's seen Santa's at the mall.

So no, we're not going to tell her he's real because she's already not into it. Also it's lying and lying is wrong. When I learned the truth I felt tricked and I don't want her to feel that way.

There are ways to present the idea to kids that are more vague . When I was a kid Santa was always sort or spoken about with a smile and a wink. There was no sense of being tricked or deceived. It sounds like this was presented to your kid in a completely serious way, which is failing spectacularly to grasp the concept of the Santa myth.

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
I never believed in Santa (as far as i can remember) and I never let any of my kids believe in Santa either. Christmas seems to be fine just the same.

Keri

I'm of a similar mindset. I wonder if that's the reason millennials have become so ungrateful to their parents once they get older because Santa has made them less appreciative of their parents hard work. I always knew from a young age my mum bought my Christmas gifts despite our struggles and her raising us on her own.

I feel like it's mostly millennials complaining about wanting the credit for Christmas. So, I would guess that they understand the sacrifices of their parents, but years of getting "participation badges" have left them needing constant validation?

JABEE

Christmas for children is about magic and wonderment. It's a beautiful innocent thing that children can enjoy before the world comes crashing down and cynicism ruins everything for them.

Let people feel that magic in their youth. One thing I hate about holidays is how adults have made it about their own satisfaction. Everything must relate to their own sense of politics and their own convenience.

Kids must trunk or treat because it's easier for parents to drink and socialize. Halloween parties have overtaken what amounted to a children's holiday of spookiness, mischief and treats. Exploring neighborhoods and accomplishing something.

Getting older I feel Christmas has changed in the same way. Over the years, people selling cars, jewelry, etc have given up on trying to keep the myth alive for younger people. They have taken a childish thing and morphed it into a big joke without care for anyone but the 45 year old sarcastic assholes buying cars.

Ads that modernize/poke fun at the Santa myth while protecting it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnQFWYvxWDo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iE8CJwXSPRs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y888mx7hMZ0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMjPpTz3EYg

Versus this smut.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_9Q6MePfwM

I'm aware this is a part of getting older. I'm just stupid and unaware that Christmas ads have always been like this, but for some reason I feel stuff like the ad above are different. It annoyed me when I saw it during a football game.

Ecto311

I'm probably won't be telling my future kids a it Santa because I really don't see what the positive is for anyone. The kid either learns that he isn't real from the playground kids or you have to have that awkward conversation that you lied about it for no reason.

Man I thought the same till I had a kid and your ideas of things go out the window. You have no idea what you will tell them till they are right there in front of you asking. They will come to you with all kinds of concerns and questions and when you are looking them in the eye it is a lot different than being rigid on ideas right now.

I tell my daughter that I don't know because like Jesus or god (or any god) I have yet to see them but there is no proof either way. Makes for a nice transition into questioning everything and thinking on your own not just buying in on some shit you heard.

Believing in santa isn't bad so why just shit on it day one. Let the kids decipher it on their own.

Naudi

Banned
Kids only get to be kids for so long, next thing they know they will have bills to pay. It's a little bit of harmless fun and the magical feeling they have this season and xmas morning is worth it. But to each their own.

So no, we're not going to tell her he's real because she's already not into it. Also it's lying and lying is wrong. When I learned the truth I felt tricked and I don't want her to feel that way.

So if you got to Disney or any big theme park based around a character.... or even a kids party with the cast of frozen. Do you just politely remind her none of it is real and it's just dress up?

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
Is believing in Santa actually a thing? When I was a kid I don't think even my white friends believed in Santa, but maybe that's a side effect of our city being pretty culturally diverse? I dunno. Either way, kids are smart. Like, the whole chimney thing is definitely a huge red flag when a lot of people don't have chimneys.

Is believing in Santa actually a thing? When I was a kid I don't think even my white friends believed in Santa, but maybe that's a side effect of our city being pretty culturally diverse? I dunno. Either way, kids are smart. Like, the whole chimney thing is definitely a huge red flag when a lot of people don't have chimneys.

He has a magic key.......

Mr Git

Making your children believe fantastical lies seems like one of the boons of having them really. In my experience the reality of Santa is usually shattered pretty early anyway by a relative or someone at school.

I remember when I was a kid the story seemed to be amended with Santa having some fucking skeleton key for those houses without chimneys. To be honest for me it was the reverse - we had a chimney but it was functional and a fire was usually going.

ThisGuy

They'll know papa bear is why there's gifts under the recycled plastic tree. I better get my milk and cookies too.

AlphaDump

Gold Member
Ill let them have fun with it. I think it will be awesome to do that when they are really young. I figure they will be smart enough to figure it out, like everyone else.

Amon37

Santa, tooth fairy, Easter bunny. I told my daughter about them all, it's fun and magical and she ans I fun with it, nostalgia for me. Hell I'm 40 years old an my mom still gets me presents with "from Santa" on the label.

I feel sorry for any of you "No fun allowed" types

kswiston

My daughter turns 3 in a couple months. Reality and make-belief have a pretty fuzzy boundary at that age, so Santa is as alive and real as any other cartoon character, stuffed animal, etc.

I'm not going to go out of my way to trick her into thinking Santa is real when she gets older and starts questioning things, but I'm not saying "No, that is an old man in a suit and fake beard making $12 an hour" every time she excitedly points out a mall Santa.

xrnzaaas

I was lied to even longer than that and I see no problem here. There are far worse lies you could tell a kid, like that a deceased relative is on a long trip and won't come back anytime soon.

But to answer your question, I'd wait for them to figure it out and take part in this game until that happens.

Concept17

My 10yo finaallllly gave up the belief. Was relieved, personally, especially since she's a very logical child.

My 7yo is pretty skeptical. My 5yo is just happy to get presents.

Laieon

Grew up in what is now the most diverse city in the nation. Knew plenty of people who believed in Santa. I also went on the sub for schools in that area for a bit, plenty of preschoolers/kindergartners still believe in Santa.

kendrid

Banned
In my school district (population of 50,000) a middle school teacher made reference to Santa only coming for 'little kids' and some parents threw a fit on Facebook. WTF people, every middle school kid knows it is mom and dad.

We did the whole Santa thing and with two logical kids they get it is fake but they still have fun with it. It is harmless.

You want stupid? The tooth fairy. WTF is that all about.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
Grew up in what is now the most diverse city in the nation. Knew plenty of people who believed in Santa. I also went on the sub for schools in that area for a bit, plenty of preschoolers/kindergartners still believe in Santa.

Well, I said "culturally diverse", although that probably wasn't the best term I could have used anyway. My city is like fifty percent immigrants, mostly from Asian countries where believing in Santa isn't a thing.

It might be unethical to lie to your kid about Santa Claus... but at the same time, with all of the bad in the world; There is nothing that can go wrong by telling them that there is a being that indiscriminately gives out gifts and toys to all the good little boys and girls, men and women, poor and rich... of all races and backgrounds. That there is a being which treats all humans as humans. Let's be honest, the world sucks. But maybe by believing and spreading the lie you can help make it a little bit better. And that's really what it's all about.

So yeah, I would tell my hypothetical children about Santa Claus. And when doing so, the above is the exact version of the story I would go with. At the same time, if my child were to come up to me and sincerely ask if Santa is real I will admit the lie, congratulate them on being able to use their brain properly and and explain the reasoning behind it.

Not only will I be telling my child that Santa is fake at the earliest possible point of his/her comprehension, I will also tell my child that she's/he's free to disseminate that information if desired.

IMO it's cute when kids believe in things like Santa and I think it makes it more exciting for them to believe there's more to Christmas than just "oh i asked for this so my mom bought it." They don't need to learn about the value of a dollar the minute they're out of the womb. Let them be innocent while they still can. They'll learn eventually, and I sincerely doubt any 10 year old has ever been upset at their parents for telling them Santa's real. It's silly to expect young children to understand and appreciate how hard you work to provide for them. That's something that comes with age and general life experience.

Sami+

My dad told me it was a dumb American thing and I got in trouble at school for parroting that lmao

Nah though, I'm just gonna say it's a Christian thing and that me and their mom buy them presents because we love them.

Being a parent of 2 kids and having them run into our room Christmas morning all excited that Santa came is something I look forward to every year.

No, i won't. I wasn't not told it was true neither.

I don't believe that is a solid foundation for trust.

If your kids don't trust you because you made them believe in Santa then you have bigger issues on your hand.

muu

My daughter at 11 months: fucking freaks out when she met Santa.

My daughter at nearly 3: fucking bawling when Santa at a winter festival got near her.

She doesn't give a fuck whether Santa's real or not, since she's scared shitless of him.

Lynd7

Being a parent of 2 kids and having them run into our room Christmas morning all excited that Santa came is something I look forward to every year.

If your kids don't trust you because you made them believe in Santa then you have bigger issues on your hand.

This. If a kid held a massive grudge over lying about Santa, there's something bigger going on.

Thinking Santa and magic were/could be real as kid was super fun and felt magical. No need to not let kids not enjoy that.

I have very fond memories of when I was a nipper at my Grans house and she would dress up and pretend to be Santa for me and my siblings, handing us all one present and we would give Santa some cookies. As I got older that tradition slowly died out and by the time my youngest sister was 'too old' for Santa I was well aware that he wasn't real but now that my cousins and nephew are old enough the family tradition has came back and seeing the excitement, joy and enthusiasm on those kids afterwards is amazing and when I have kids I will let them believe in Santa so they hopefully have similar moments like that (and create great memories like it had done for me).

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I look back fondly on my childhood believing in Santa. It's not harmful, and it's a chance for kids to enjoy Christmas eve.

I'm totally going to do it.

Dunkley

Of course, why should I tell them anything else but the truth?

I'm kidding of course. Yeah I would do that if I planned to have children, part of what made my childhood so great was that I was sheltered mostly from what a shitty place our world can be, and you know even tho it's a weird concept, it gives the children something to look forward to and introduces at least a little bit more wonder to their world, something I would definitely try to do since reality hits you like a brick later anyway as you get older.

I would say I am surprised by just how many joyless anti santa people are here but im not lol.

Its just some fun. Kids love it. Just adds to the magic and fun of the holiday.

My son is 3 and he is getting very excited about christmas and that santa will be coming etc etc. Its all over the TV anyway so its not like we really need to work hard on building up that thought process.

The only thing we are doing differently is telling him that some presents are from santa and some are from family so he get excited on both fronts and as he learns its just a fantasy he will even quicker realise its just family and everyone enjoys the fantasy even us adults.

If you cant see the point in fantasy and fictional characters then i guess you hate fiction books as well? As an adult you know they are fake of course but they can still feel real to you and thats not that different.

You shield kids from all the bad shit going on in the world until they ask about such things. Then you be careful with what you say.

And you lie, make up stories about father christmas, the easter bunny and the tooth fairy right up until they call you stupid. Then you carry on because it's fun.

Spades

Hell yes. I was disappointed when I eventually found out the truth, but Christmas was and is so magical to me that I would never take away that feeling from my daughter.

tuna_love

Banned
even the dumb white kids? whoa

No fucking way am I lying to my kids about shit like this.

Magic isn't real ffs.

We'll still have fun and play pretend about the whole thing but no way am I perpetuating silly fucking myths that will only contribute to an already-inevitable sense of disillusionment and depression they're bound to develop because of shit like this.

For reference - raised hardcore Roman Catholic, have nothing against my mother's faith etc. but I'm not a religious adult.

Actually fucking love Christmas, it's my favourite holiday and we will celebrate every single part of it - except with the knowledge that Santa is just a fun story we tell ourselves to make it all more fun.

(It's all about family, food, and good vibes after all).

Damn right I would. There was nothing greater than the run up to Xmas knowing Santa was coming. Xmas Eve looking out the window at the rooftops at 2am because you can't sleep hoping you'll see him, fighting back every bodily urge to get some rest until you eventually pass out.

Then waking up the next morning, running to your parents bedroom to ask if he's been (we were told we had to ask our parents if he had been incase he was still putting out the presents and we would scare him off, in adult speak go away we were up till 5am assembling your fucking Ninja Turtles Sewer)... At this point my dad would make us all wait at the top of the stairs as he slowly walked down to check if he had delivered the presents eventually signalling us to run down and open them.

Those were some of the fondest moments of my childhood and i'd never dream of depriving those moments from a child of my own all for the smug pleasure of letting them know i'd worked hard to buy them presents or I didn't want to lie to them. I doubt i'd have anywhere near the appreciation for Xmas I do nowadays without those magical memories.

The Santa Clause got this shit sorted.

Conan-san

Eh, I'll er on the side of "don't poke bear until asked by bear" on this one.

Conversely I will be the santa for my kids the world needs before then.

tuna_love

Banned

Magic isn't real ffs.

We'll still have fun and play pretend about the whole thing but no way am I perpetuating silly fucking myths that will only contribute to an already-inevitable sense of disillusionment and depression they're bound to develop because of shit like this.

For reference - raised hardcore Roman Catholic, have nothing against my mother's faith etc. but I'm not a religious adult.

Actually fucking love Christmas, it's my favourite holiday and we will celebrate every single part of it - except with the knowledge that Santa is just a fun story we tell ourselves to make it all more fun.

lol

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
There is no awkward conversation. Kids understand you wanted them to have fun. They're smart like that.

Personally, it felt like I was on the receiving end of a mean and pointless practical joke.

I don't have any particularly strong opinions toward the practice itself one way or the other, though.

Magic isn't real ffs.

Equating religion to santa is kinda insane.

With stuff like santa you just roll with it for fun, You know your kid is going to clock on at somepoint and when they realise that you dont sware its true to there face and punish them for being a non believer. You just have fun with it. Most kids know its fake by a pretty young age and just carry on the facade along with the parents for fun.

Its the same result as you mention but with a few years being extra magical to the kids when they are really young.

If you think "lies" such as this "contribute to an already-inevitable sense of disillusionment and depression" there is something much deeping causing this, not Santa. You even follow it up about being raised "raised hardcore Roman Catholic". Pretty sure i know which part cause your negative feelings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom