• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 10 |OT| Something Happened? Something Happened.

clav

Last month's february update was delayed because of compatibility problems.

Wonder if this month will fix it, so you can wait until Tuesday.

if the windows update troubleshooter doesn't work i guess i can wait lol.
Edit. The troubleshooter fixed some registry but the update still didn't install.

Windows couldn't complete the update
Undoing changes
Don't turn. Off your computer

Done through the Windows update in setting then I tried the link posted earlier and after it was done installing it asked to restart but it still gives me the same message.

Is there a way to just block this update from downloading?

edit: checking the update article page i saw they pushed another update sometime after that replaces this one. gonna see what it does. hopefully it works this go around.

Edit: nope lol

SugarDave

mshta.exe is just a generic HTML application host. Basically a standalone Internet Explorer window.

It's almost certainly malware of some sort. I think you can right-click on Defender to report it and block it.

Yeah, looking it up, it's definitely malware, you'll have to probably use a boot time scan to get rid of it.

It's kind of funny that they're trying to get you to download Chromium, the unbranded version of Chrome.

So I know it's been just over a week but I figured the problem had been resolved which it apparently hasn't. I ran the boot time scan and have been using my PC as normal since then but the same pop-up reared its head again last night.

I'll continue looking for solutions elsewhere but I thought I'd ask here again in case anyone can offer further help.

i ended up resetting my pc. first time it didn't go through but second try it was fine. then i went and tried the windows 10 update and it pushed all the ones i couldn't install. and it installed without a problem.

i need to consider a new HDD as well. this one is showing its sign of slowly dying.

I'm baffled at how much better UC browser UWP is compared to edge. Faster, smoother, works amazing in tablet mode... Definitely switching XD

clav

Yeah if it resembles anything like every start of Windows 10 release rings, there are many bugs and subsequently many cumulative service updates.

Pooya

I installed that yesterday on my Surface Pro, actually it's very good. Way way better than anniversary was at launch. I don't have any issues so far. I was shocked to see that their privacy stuff actually a little better and you can shut off windows update for a bit if you like, haven't followed any of the news so I was quite shocked to see these.

There are actually some decent new features like Night time (works great), themes and custom colors, folders in start menu and picture in picture. So many revolutionary new features man... finally on feature parity with all windows before! Honestly it's good to have these finally.

This is supposed to support HDR in the OS right? haven't tried that yet. Game Mode doesn't do anything I can possibly measure. New Windows Defender seems better and actually matches the OS look. Cortana during Windows setup is cute, she almost convinced me to keep using her... Edge seems much more usable and stable, still not really touch friendly. Win8 IE was something else.

Definitely doesn't feel like a insider build. It's certainly RTM.

edit: If you go to your sound card properties now, there is a new option, spatial sound. You have an option to use Dolby Atmos which brings you to store for 'Dolby Access' app which isn't downloadable yet and 'Windows Sonic'. This is something that appeals to me a lot, having a system wide HRTF finally without external hw or some other nonsense built into Windows on every laptop and tablet to get some good surround sound.

I'm guessing Dolby Atmos app isn't free, wondering how well it works. I couldn't find anything on how it even looks like, like menus and such.

I've been rocking Creator's Update for a week now. It's pretty solid. Runs a little better than AU for me, except for Windows Defender using more resources than before.

My favourite change is that there is now an actual login animation, instead of the black flickering screen. I can't believe it took them so long to fix that.

Hey GAF, about to build my first PC and I have a few questions:

1. How can I go about installing Windows in the most secure/privacy conscious way possible? The site https://fix10.isleaked.com/ in the OP gives me a security warning on Chrome.
  2. Is it possible to download and load the .iso onto a USB stick on a Mac?
  3. My friend has provided me with a spare serial for Windows 10 (an OEM key) that I plan on using - however, I believe this is for a Dutch version of Windows 7 Premium. I live in the UK. Will this throw up complications? Will the key work with 10?
  4. I'm using a Gigabyte wireless network adapter (PCIe) to connect to wifi - will this work during setup, or will I need a wired ethernet connection until drivers are installed?

Thank-you in advance for any help you can provide me with, and if there's any other tips you have for a first time, new PC installation, I'm all ears!

Mr_Zombie

Übermatik;232969915 said:
[*]Is it possible to download and load the .iso onto a USB stick on a Mac?

It should be possible:
http://www.windowscentral.com/how-create-windows-10-installer-usb-drive-mac

[*]My friend has provided me with a spare serial for Windows 10 (an OEM key) that I plan on using - however, I believe this is for a Dutch version of Windows 7 Premium. I live in the UK. Will this throw up complications? Will the key work with 10?

Theoretically, the free upgrade program is over, so if the key wasn't previously signed for the upgrade, I don't think you can use it now to install Windows 10 (although I might be wrong). Anyway, another problem might be that the upgrade will install a Dutch version of Windows 10. My friend had a similar problem - he bought his laptop (with Windows 7) in the UK and somehow managed to change the language to Polish. But after upgrading to Windows 10 the system automatically changed back to English language and so far we couldn't figure out how to change it again to Polish (installing additional languages didn't help).

[*]I'm using a Gigabyte wireless network adapter (PCIe) to connect to wifi - will this work during setup, or will I need a wired ethernet connection until drivers are installed?

It should work out of the box.

Pooya

I'm pretty sure if you install win10 over some old valid windows 7 install, it will still activate despite program ending, it still works.

Do that and you get your 'digital entitlement' and you can sign in with MS account just to be sure, I don't think it's necessary though. Then you can do a clean install whenever and Windows will activate itself on that motherboard/cpu combination.

It should work out of the box.

Not during setup/installation though right? Like, my keyboard wouldn't connect?

Theoretically, the free upgrade program is over, so if the key wasn't previously signed for the upgrade, I don't think you can use it now to install Windows 10 (although I might be wrong). Anyway, another problem might be that the upgrade will install a Dutch version of Windows 10. My friend had a similar problem - he bought his laptop (with Windows 7) in the UK and somehow managed to change the language to Polish. But after upgrading to Windows 10 the system automatically changed back to English language and so far we couldn't figure out how to change it again to Polish (installing additional languages didn't help).

I'm pretty sure if you install win10 over some old valid windows 7 install, it will still activate despite program ending, it still works.

Do that and you get your 'digital entitlement' and you can sign in with MS account just to be sure, I don't think it's necessary though. Then you can do a clean install whenever and Windows will activate itself on that motherboard/cpu combination.

He said the key had been registered for the upgrade but not used. Sound right?
Does this then mean I can use that key to install Windows 10?
I don't want to have to install Windows 7 then upgrade to 10...
I'll try it anyway and see what happens.

Pooya

you actually have 10 key, I thought you have a 7 key. If it's not activated elsewhere it should work, you just enter it during install. Language doesn't matter, you can change all of that.

I think your friend means that he entered his key back then into the reserve program, it shouldn't matter as long as it's not activated on any hw.

In the end, there is only one way to find out what it actually is... try it.

you actually have 10 key, I thought you have a 7 key. If it's not activated elsewhere it should work, you just enter it during install. Language doesn't matter, you can change all of that.

I think your friend means that he entered his key back then into the reserve program, it shouldn't matter as long as it's not activated on any hw.

In the end, there is only one way to find out what it actually is... try it.

It IS a 7 key haha. Yeah, I'm building in a matter of hours so I'll hopefully let you know!

clav

April 5th is when the upgrade tool officially releases for those eager to get away from the Anniversary Update.

Cetra

Reinstalled Windows 10 Home over the weekend. On my previous install I was able to turn off Cortana and just have my taskbar search box act as Windows Search.

Since reinstalling this doesn't seem to be possible anymore. I've tried editing the registry to disable Cortana, but that makes my Start Button and Taskbar Seach Box completely non-functional. Is there no way to safely turn off Cortana in Win10 Home anymore?

I didn't know my work PC had Creator's update already or the setting was from a previous build. my home pc just got updated to creator update and it now matches how my work looks.

You can hide her by right clicking on the taskbar icon, and the start menu search works the same as it always has? If you want to narrow it down to local options, just open the start menu, begin typing, and click the icon in the top right corner to narrow your results.

Anyone here update to the Creators Update via the Release Preview ring? I moved from prod to RP and I'm not getting the update to pop

An article on what ms has cut from Creators Update:

http://www.windowscentral.com/heres-what-got-cut-windows-10-creators-update

Like I said (I think in the mobile thread), imo that's the biggest issue with Ms right now. Everything gets delayed to wait for OS updates that also get delayed, and the result is that their devices are suffering for it waiting on things that never come.

RS1 was supposed to be a big update, got many features pushed back to RS2 because of a focus on the kernel and platform. Then Rs2 also sees an unexpected need to rework the kernel and platform and tons of features get now delayed to RS3.

Now Rs3 is supposedly this really giant update that will have to deliver everything that was cut, and the huge promise of unifying all the platforms together (which was also one of the big stuff Rs2 was supposed to bring)... Who thinks it's also going to be heavily gutted?

clav

Disappointing although nothing was really announced for RS3 yet.

At least updates are super fast now. Takes seconds to update vs. slow patching in 14393.

Mr_Zombie

Like I said (I think in the mobile thread), imo that's the biggest issue with Ms right now. Everything gets delayed to wait for OS updates that also get delayed, and the result is that their devices are suffering for it waiting on things that never come.

RS1 was supposed to be a big update, got many features pushed back to RS2 because of a focus on the kernel and platform. Then Rs2 also sees an unexpected need to rework the kernel and platform and tons of features get now delayed to RS3.

But both RS1 and RS2 already have a lot of new and useful features, both big and small. RS1 was what basically turned Windows 10 beta into a proper release - it fixed a lot of annoyances, added a lot of new features and improved the UI. The same with RS2. Plus big improvements on the kernel. Just because Microsoft wasn't able to deliver on all the promises doesn't mean those updates are bad or that Microsoft's way of Windows development is faulty.

is RS3 this year?

Yes. It's supposed to be released in the autumn.

But both RS1 and RS2 already have a lot of new and useful features, both big and small. RS1 was what basically turned Windows 10 beta into a proper release - it fixed a lot of annoyances, added a lot of new features and improved the UI. The same with RS2. Plus big improvements on the kernel. Just because Microsoft wasn't able to deliver on all the promises doesn't mean those updates are bad or that Microsoft's way of Windows development is faulty.

Yes. It's supposed to be released in the autumn.

I agree with all that, but the point is: Win10 shouldn't have been a beta at release, and its updates shouldn't have to fix long lasting issues. And more importantly, they shouldn't just cancel everything until the magic update that makes everything perfect comes, specially when they keep delaying said update.

Win central made another article that outlines it better: http://www.windowscentral.com/universal-windows-platform-pointless-without-windows-10-mobile

We are 3 or 4 months away from the 2 year anniversary of uwp (counting public release, but it's even longer if we consider the win10 beta process) and what does it have to show for it? They shouldn't waited on mobile to get the enterprise features ready, they should push developers into supporting win10 mobile like they did in wp7 days (specially now that it's actually a platform that can go somewhere instead of silverlight and xna), but they are just going through the motions letting everyone steamroller them.

In Brazil they managed to get an impressive marketshare, you'd see people with windows phones everywhere, and them they decided to remove themselves from market and everyone went back to android.

dLMN8R

An article on what ms has cut from Creators Update:

http://www.windowscentral.com/heres-what-got-cut-windows-10-creators-update

Now Rs3 is supposedly this really giant update that will have to deliver everything that was cut, and the huge promise of unifying all the platforms together (which was also one of the big stuff Rs2 was supposed to bring)... Who thinks it's also going to be heavily gutted?

You said it in the Surface thread and I responded to you here. I'm sorry but the fact that software features were delayed doesn't automatically vindicate your misplaced assumptions.

First, there's literally no indication that any devices were delayed because of software delays. Second, RS1 and RS2 are huge updates, even if some of the specific features you were looking forward to were delayed.

Which specific features from RS1 are you referring to when you claim that they were pushed-back to RS2?

You said it in the Surface thread and I responded to you here. I'm sorry but the fact that software features were delayed doesn't automatically vindicate your misplaced assumptions.

First, there's literally no indication that any devices were delayed because of software delays. Second, RS1 and RS2 are huge updates, even if some of the specific features you were looking forward to were delayed.

Which specific features from RS1 are you referring to when you claim that they were pushed-back to RS2?

I'm obviously only talking about rumors and leaked stuff that aren't always correct, but the same sources that makes those claims also make others that do come to fruition so there's a level of credibility there.

And I'm not disregarding how big those updates are, and the stability speaks for itself. The creators update is indeed a lot more stable and fast than what it was when windows 10 launched, and delivering that for all platforms is no easy task.

I'm sorry if came out that way but it wasn't my intention at all to ditch your team's efforts.

But unfortunately, Ms is the one behind, they are the ones that need to catch up, unfortunately for you guys you now have to out do everyone else consistently to regain market share.

But I do apologize to get the "facts" wrong. The rumor mill always said that Rs1 would be a minor update feature wise to make room for stability and performance. It was RS2 which was supposed to bring the features, including the next version of continuum and with new devices to show that off.

But still, perhaps you guys at Ms should communicate better. Win 10 mobile looks to be abandoned. There's no device on the horizon. The ones that would come last year were supposedly delayed for updates RS2 would bring but ended up not, and the RS2 update on mobile itself is quite minor. It runs a lot better, but it lacks features added to desktop, the universal apps lack features on mobile as well (like no extension on edge or the photos app having almost no editing tools)...

Then there's the store. Again, I know how a tremendous amount of work must have been to unify them, and I also watched a few keynotes where I can see there's tons of improvements on developers side, with so many cool features to control and analise how the apps/games are doing. But for the consumer there's still little incentive to use it. You guys are still behind on features, are still behind on content, and there's nothing to show there's improving.

But it's mostly about the abandonment of mobile. You see how quickly Xbox one is bringing content to the desktop store, you see how well developers are reacting to being able to freely develop on xbone, but the one platform that could make the ecosystem really strong is abandoned. Win 10 mobile is abandoned, Win 10 for tablets is abandoned, and we are already amost at half of this year and not a subtle hint that there's something coming that can make the situation better.

And instead of abandonment you guys should make a footing and bring content. Look how well it turned out for Xbox. Is it the market leader? By any means no, but they insisted on it, they invested on it, they brought content to it, and it still find its audience even if the marketshare is dwarfed by Ps4.

This is again, in no way to say there's not a huge amount of work you guys are doing, and to be fair, it is impressive what you guys are pulling off, but this isn't a time where you guys have the luxury to wait for whatever what it is that you are waiting to bring the devices, if not by you by partners, you should have a stream of them coming, you should be supporting the platform, and you should be battling for more content.

On a less negative note, the new visual design is quite nice:

old_neon_concept.jpg

And I hope Snapchat in there is more than just a teaser.

And that the live tiles are flat when flipping.

Rootbeer

Banned
When checking for new updates in Windows Update it takes ages for it to find or not find anything. Is that fixed in the Creators Update? I'm current on all patches up to that.

clav

CU adds UUP, moving away from ESD (differential vs. whole update downloads).

As for checking for new updates time, still unsure.

Installing time has greatly improved though.

dLMN8R

LukasTaves - it sounds like you're mostly frustrated with de-focusing on mobile, which - while wholly legitimate to be frustrated about on its own - isn't really relevant to the arguments you're making.

I think you're taking your frustration about mobile and trying to stretch the truth to make it equally true about desktop as well, which simply doesn't work that way.

You're claiming that Microsoft is "behind" and needs to "catch up", but I honestly don't know what you're talking about. Microsoft is ahead on desktop hardware and software, or at least at parity with the competition, to the point where Windows OEMs are copying Microsoft (which Microsoft wants).

More importantly, Microsoft completely embarrassed Apple when it comes to desktop-class hardware, with the latest Macbook Pros getting negative reviews, and the Surface Studio making a compelling case (alongside the Creators Update) for influential creatives to switch from Mac back to Windows.

I'm not going to speak to the mobile strategy, and your general complaints about mobile clearly aren't unknown inside of the company, but still none of that vindicates your malformed claims about Surface hardware being allegedly "delayed", or the claims you're making about vast numbers of features being delayed from every Windows release. Yeah, some RS2 stuff was delayed to RS3, but that's not a wider trend like you're trying to make it.

clav

Creator's Update for those users wanting to upgrade early is live through this link:

Click on the word in the post.

Giolon

Installed the Creators Update via the Media Creation Tool on both my 2.5 year old MSI laptop and my 6! year old self built desktop. Went without a hitch on both.

Giolon

Ok gross. MS got rid of "Open Command Prompt Here" from the (shift) right-click menu in folders and replaced it with "Open PowerShell Here".

Registry edit required to bring it back.

This is the kind of shit that makes people not want to install Windows Updates.

Top Bottom