• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 10 |OT| Something Happened? Something Happened.

maeh2k

Ooh.. What tools do you recommend?

Can't recommend a specific tool. It's been years since I last used one (on a defective harddisk).

Here are some recent lists:
- http://www.techradar.com/news/software/applications/best-free-data-recovery-tools-1321723
- https://www.lifewire.com/free-data-recovery-software-tools-2622893

For the best chances of recovery, one approach is to first clone the disk so that you can't lose what's still on there. If you just install one of those applications on the same disk, it might be overwrite a few of those bits you still want to recover.

Ahasverus

Not that I don't believe you, but there's no way Windows could delete your photos on its own. During the upgrade all the installer modifies are system folders: Windows, Program Files and AppData in your User folder. It doesn't touch your personal files.
I thought the same, but I swear by god. It deleted everything on my "library", my docs were not there thank god but the photos went mia.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I am about to get a new Notebook with Windows 10 on it and I am already looking for some nice things to do with the new functions of Windows.
I am curious if there are Apps to add things like Notifications for specific websites like ebay to the notification center without the need to install the Windows App from the store

can someone help me with this POS OS?

Every time i boot up I cannot use the start menu, nor does the keyboard short cut work either. Also nothing appears on my taskbar unless I kill explorer process and then run it again. Even then the start menu still doesn't work.

The windows store doesn't even open says

explorer.exe class not registered.

So I can't even play gears of war 4 now.

Anybody having graphical issues with the latest update? I updated to something today and now I have graphical glitches watching YouTube or from GIF's. I updated my Nvidia drivers past the buggy one so I know that isn't the issue and I assume it is the Windows update because that's when it started right after installing and restarting.

DonMigs85

Anybody having graphical issues with the latest update? I updated to something today and now I have graphical glitches watching YouTube or from GIF's. I updated my Nvidia drivers past the buggy one so I know that isn't the issue and I assume it is the Windows update because that's when it started right after installing and restarting.

My tiles and app icons are flickering like crazy and I can't actually click any of them. This was after I woke my desktop from sleep, will try a restart. Also on the latest Nvidia driver.

xrnzaaas

I haven't installed KB3197954 yet, but I'm curious why Microsoft keeps wasting my bandwidth and time on Adobe Flash Player updates. That shit is gone from my current PC and it's never coming back.

Harmen

So are me and my inner circles just having extremely bad luck or is the Windows 10 anniversary update broken as fuck?

-My previous laptop stopped working after the update, windows won't boot beyond the windows 10 logo (no menus are accessible, no safe mode etc.) and I can only access the motherboard.
-My mothers laptop could not boot anymore and required a clean install after the update, which an IT guy did for her. The IT guy said he had to fix a huge amount of laptops since the update.
-My dad's laptop got stuck and required a reset, after which things got normal thankfully.
-Three housemates had similar issues to the degree they couldn't use their laptops anymore without an IT savvy person looking at it.
-My new laptop remained stuck on the update of last night and a reset was required.

In the cases I know, people waited for their machines to update over night or longer, so it is not like people interfered with the update process or something. I gave my old (now non-working) over 48 hours to do its thing and then resorted to several resets and other tricks on the web (in vain).

But yeah, that's seven laptops in the span of a few weeks right after an update by Windows. Though I don't know what other people are doing with their machines, this seems a bit odd to me. Anyone else had similar issues?

SoulUnison

Banned

I've got this weird rectangle in the lower left hand corner of YouTube videos now where it's like there a portion of the video that's a few frames out of sync with everything else, or like a constant, specifically located screen tearing.

Latest NVidia drivers, issue appeared after a random update a few days ago.

Jarsonot

Hey y'all, question for ya. Not sure if it's really a Windows 10 question or a browser question or what =) But maybe someone can help me out:

I've got a big old monitor (think it's WQHD?) and sometimes my daughter sits on my lap and watches Sesame Street streaming from HBO Now, or funny animal youtube videos or something, while I'm working in another window.

My problem is for HBO Now the only options I have are full-screen, which I don't want, or a really tiny video window in the browser. Any way I can get that to popout so I can resize that video larger?

I have chrome or edge, and am willing to get a different browser, extension, or app if it'll solve this problem. Any ideas?

(And thanks!)

Edit: contacted HBO Now support, they said they don't support scale to fit. But still I wonder if there's a way to do it..?

I feel like my computer should be faster than it should be.
First, does everyone else still get that janky-ass logon experience where after entering your password and waiting a while, it just blinks to the desktop. Looks really bad. And it's been that way since day 1 of Windows 10.

Whenever I try to preview a picture of any size with the legacy Photo Viewer, it now takes 1 full second or more to open. It's ridiculous and it wasn't doing this earlier. And why does my Photoshop take so long to open? I have an i5 2500K, 16GB of RAM, and a GTX 1060. No reason I should get mouse lag when hovering over the menu dropdowns.

KKRT00

Anyone knows if there is a way to force media creation tool to not install windows 10 with anniversary update onto USB?
Or any alternative solutions?

---
Managed to find last year Win 10 iso on my PC!

Harmen

Hey y'all, question for ya. Not sure if it's really a Windows 10 question or a browser question or what =) But maybe someone can help me out:

I've got a big old monitor (think it's WQHD?) and sometimes my daughter sits on my lap and watches Sesame Street streaming from HBO Now, or funny animal youtube videos or something, while I'm working in another window.

My problem is for HBO Now the only options I have are full-screen, which I don't want, or a really tiny video window in the browser. Any way I can get that to popout so I can resize that video larger?

I have chrome or edge, and am willing to get a different browser, extension, or app if it'll solve this problem. Any ideas?

(And thanks!)

Edit: contacted HBO Now support, they said they don't support scale to fit. But still I wonder if there's a way to do it..?

Maybe just use the zoom function of the browser to resize the video window and then adjust the window of the browser itself? It is clunky but it works for youtube video's, for example. In general zooming to, say 200%, makes every element depicted in the browser appear twice as large and then you can make the actual browser window smaller to adjust to the video borders. Not sure if that is what you are seeking for though.

Jarsonot

Maybe just use the zoom function of the browser to resize the video window and then adjust the window of the browser itself? It is clunky but it works for youtube video's, for example. In general zooming to, say 200%, makes every element depicted in the browser appear twice as large and then you can make the actual browser window smaller to adjust to the video borders. Not sure if that is what you are seeking for though.

That's what I'll do until I can find some other workaround, thanks.

I got an extension that enables pop out video on YouTube, Netflix, and other things I've never heard of. I know HBO Now uses flash. There's GOT to be some way to pop out a flash video, right? Right? =)

Nikodemos

Did Microsoft change Windows Hello policies? My fingerprint scanner stopped working after an update and now I have to input the pass every time. Tried switching it back on but it now says not compatible in the sign in options screen.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Guys I need desperate help I've been at this all day and nothing works.

Got new sdd installing fresh win 10 off usb after some serious hassle learning about formatting and partitions I finall got clean install on the ssd.

When I first boot up windows it's fine fresh new desktop. I can use pc like normal for about 2-3 minutes then windows go away mouse goes away only taskbar remains. Keyboard control remains I can see in taskbar when I alt tab to windows but the windows are gone. I can ctrl alt del and screen goes black like it's trying to show the login screen. I hit escape and broken desktop returns. Only taskbar.

When I reboot it's same issue only desktop is black no wallpaper. No mouse cursor etc. PC is basically bricked. I reformatted SDD and reinstall Windows from scratch 3 times now same thing happens. Fine for three mins then it breaks.

I don't know where else to turn I'm googling every combination of terms to find solution and nothing fits.

edit: HOLY SHIT!!!!!

Ignore everything I posted above unless you want a laugh. I am NEXT LEVEL STUPID.

Turns out Windows was defaulting my plugged in but not turned on 2nd monitor as the default and moving all windows to it, and it's on the right but Windows was orienting it to the left, so my mouse existed the whole time, it was just off screen.

Computers are hard.

Woorloog

Banned
Windows 10 touch features are pretty good but is there some way to make opening Action Center harder? IE require longer press or something? As it is, i keep opening it while trying to scroll, or just by accident.
Also, is there any quick way of closing it without touching elsewhere? (like triple-touch or additional button to the panel.) I prefer to support my device with left hand and use with right, having to use left hand to close it while just reading/browsing is annoying.

And i think i need to enable dictionary feature... useful for touch typing but goddam frustrating since it insist(ed) on appearing in skype, and for messing with keyboard typing. (I have a hybrid device.)

nynt9

I can't make threads, but I think this should be posted about:

http://www.theverge.com/2016/10/31/...erability-sandbox-google-microsoft-disclosure

Google just disclosed a major Windows bug — and Microsoft isn’t happy

Today, Google’s Threat Analysis group disclosed a critical vulnerability in Windows in a public post on the company’s security blog. The bug itself is very specific — allowing attackers to escape from security sandboxes through a flaw in the win32k system — but it’s serious enough to be categorized as critical, and according to Google, it’s being actively exploited. As a result, Google went public just 10 days after reporting the bug to Microsoft, before a patch could be coded and deployed. The result is that, while Google has already deployed a fix to protect Chrome users, Windows itself is still vulnerable — and now, everybody knows it.

Google’s disclosure provides only a general description of the bug, giving users enough information to recognize a possible attack without making it too easy for criminals to replicate. Exploiting the bug also depends on a separate exploit in Adobe Flash, for which the company has also released a patch. Still, simply knowing that the bug exists will likely spur a lot of criminals to look for viable ways to exploit it against computers that have yet to update Flash.

The brief grace period is in accordance with a policy Google put in place in 2013, allowing critical vulnerabilities to be disclosed only seven days after they’re reported to the vendor. At the time, a number of researchers criticized the policy as overly harsh, arguing that seven days was not enough time to properly respond to a complex vulnerability. This is the first major invocation of the policy in the three years since it was put in place, although Google’s engineers defended it as necessary given the active exploitation of the bug.

Mr_Zombie

That's a really stupid policy. 7 days is not enough to fix a bug, throughouly test the fix and release a patch for a system the size of Windows. Not to mention there is the Patch Tuesdays- Microsoft releases all its security patches on a certain day of the week so that admins/companies using the system could plan to apply them.

Woorloog

Banned
What the hell...

I'm having... i had a display scaling problem, on my Windows 10 tablet-hybrid.

I run Windows at 125% scaling because 100% is too small. The problem with 125% is that is broke full-screen games by displacing the screen heavily. Except now i figured that by using custom scaling level set at 125%, this displacement issue does not happen.
How the heck is that possible? 125%=125%, does it not?

I mean, I got the problem fixed so no problem but Windows 10 problems are so very baffling.

EDIT Sigh, just realized trying to fix the issue took 1.5h...

EDIT Just in case, is there some way to force Windows 10 to reset display settings completely? Resolution, scaling, fonts... everything to as it is when first installed?

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Not a day goes by I don't find something completely irritating about Windows 10. Today it's the fact that you can't specify a folder to install apps to from the store. You can only assign a drive and then Windows just shits them all onto the root directory. Good stuff.

I can't even be mad at Microsoft. They're just trying to turn our PCs into big cell phones so they can make money off of us. I get it. I'm more mad at every single person that convinced me that Windows 10 was better than Windows 7 and told me that upgrading was mandatory to future proof my PC.

BadWolf

Not a day goes by I don't find something completely irritating about Windows 10. Today it's the fact that you can't specify a folder to install apps to from the store. You can only assign a drive and then Windows just shits them all onto the root directory. Good stuff.

I can't even be mad at Microsoft. They're just trying to turn our PCs into big cell phones so they can make money off of us. I get it. I'm more mad at every single person that convinced me that Windows 10 was better than Windows 7 and told me that upgrading was mandatory to future proof my PC.

I ordered a new PC and have no idea which windows to go for.

Is it okay to go for Windows 7? Will all games, programs etc. work on it no prob? Would it be a hassle getting drivers etc. set up for the new PC?

I'd rather not go to 10 unless I really need to with all the negativity I tend to hear about it.

LiQuid!

I ordered a new PC and have no idea which windows to go for.

Is it okay to go for Windows 7? Will all games, programs etc. work on it no prob? Would it be a hassle getting drivers etc. set up for the new PC?

I'd rather not go to 10 unless I really need to with all the negativity I tend to hear about it.

Well there's a lot of shit that's exclusive to the Windows 10 store. All the games that they are porting over to PC from Xbone for example. It's basically a proprietary app store that MS is using to sell shit to you directly on your PC. Games, movie, Zune music subscriptions etc. It's the PC equivalent of Amazon's $50 Kindles. MS was happy to give it away for free because it's a gateway into their commerce ecosystem.

If you're not ok with having all that stuff on your PC you can use PowerShell to remove a lot of it and for the most part Windows 10 works a lot like Windows 7. There are more workarounds available for some of the more annoying aspects, but there are a lot of impvements needed. As somewhat of a power user who has a bit of undiagnosed OCD, I find the annoyances of Windows 10 probably effect me more than most.

Honestly for the most part Windows 7 is probably fine and IMO easily better than windows 10 because it's not a fucking cellular phone OS BUT, and this is the but that convinced me to upgrade before MS stopped giving out upgrades for free, Windows 7 isn't going to last forever. I think it's going to be updated until 2020, so you're going to have to upgrade eventually anyways.

BadWolf

Well there's a lot of shit that's exclusive to the Windows 10 store. All the games that they are porting over to PC from Xbone for example. It's basically a proprietary app store that MS is using to sell shit to you directly on your PC. Games, movie, Zune music subscriptions etc. It's the PC equivalent of Amazon's $50 Kindles. MS was happy to give it away for free because it's a gateway into their commerce ecosystem.

If you're not ok with having all that stuff on your PC you can use PowerShell to remove a lot of it and for the most part Windows 10 works a lot like Windows 7. There are more workarounds available for some of the more annoying aspects, but there are a lot of impvements needed. As somewhat of a power user who has a bit of undiagnosed OCD, I find the annoyances of Windows 10 probably effect me more than most.

Honestly for the most part Windows 7 is probably fine and IMO easily better than windows 10 because it's not a fucking cellular phone OS BUT, and this is the but that convinced me to upgrade before MS stopped giving out upgrades for free, Windows 7 isn't going to last forever. I think it's going to be updated until 2020, so you're going to have to upgrade eventually anyways.

Thanks for the reply man.

I don't care for any of MS's services (completely ignored the store and everything else when using Win8) but if 7 is going to be obsolete in 2-3 years then I might as well go with 10 now instead of going through the hassle of an upgrade later :/

At this point I'd be more comfortable going with Win8.1 though (which was on my PC that died).

mattx5

Wife got an Acer a few months ago with Windows 10. Constant wireless card problems. I know this isn't necessarily the fault of W10, but everything I've read says that it could be a culprit (in addition to the shit wireless cards that come with Acers). So I'm looking to install an older version of Windows to see if it clears up any incompatibilities.

Q: Is there a way to install Win 7/8.1 using the Windows 10 key that came with the laptop? I can't downgrade since it came with 10 already installed.

tzare

Hi, just got a new low cost pc to use as a plex media server and web browsing and maybe office. It is an i3 with 8gb ram and 64 SSD, installed w10 pro but i am having random freezes an have to reboot the system with the power button since nothing responds.
Anyone have a clue what could i do to fix that?
Thanks!

clav

Current production build has wifi problems after resuming from quick boot.

Latest release preview build solves it, so I guess users are left cold until next week's patch.

Disabling hibernation would be a quick fix.

Ran rp

Oh yeah, I should probably ask here too.

Does anyone know of a Windows program that will blur out of focus windows?

Basically, something like this Isolator program for Mac.

https://willmore.eu/software/isolator/

isolator-blur.png

I've looked all over but can't find anything. Just programs that will dim the inactive area with a black image or apply blur only to the windows' boarders.

cdyhybrid

Anyone know if I can get four File Explorer windows linked together in a 2x2 grid, but considered one window? I'm thinking something like Terminator for Linux, but File Explorer windows instead of terminals.

I can open four windows and snap them to corners of my monitor, but when I'm tabbing back and forth between an internet browser, some other programs, and four File Explorer windows it can get out of hand pretty quickly. Would like to just tab to one File Explorer window and have them all move to the front. I'd also like them all to be visible at once as I'm dragging/dropping stuff between them.

Screenshot for reference:

maeh2k

Anyone know if I can get four File Explorer windows linked together in a 2x2 grid, but considered one window? I'm thinking something like Terminator for Linux, but File Explorer windows instead of terminals.

I can open four windows and snap them to corners of my monitor, but when I'm tabbing back and forth between an internet browser, some other programs, and four File Explorer windows it can get out of hand pretty quickly. Would like to just tab to one File Explorer window and have them all move to the front. I'd also like them all to be visible at once as I'm dragging/dropping stuff between them.

Screenshot for reference:

Doesn't work out of the box, but there may be other file explorers that offer that functionality. I don't know if any do 2x2 grids, but a lot of alternative file explorers at least feature a split view with two directories. E.g. http://www.gpsoft.com.au/index.html

pestul

Wow.. just wow. Windows 10 just auto-rebooted my server while I was recovering data with PhotoRec from a damaged hard drive. Thank God PhotoRec is awesome software and it gives the option to continue, but jesus christ is that scary and frankly unbelievable.

aaaaa0

Wow.. just wow. Windows 10 just auto-rebooted my server while I was recovering data with PhotoRec from a damaged hard drive. Thank God PhotoRec is awesome software and it gives the option to continue, but jesus christ is that scary and frankly unbelievable.

sc config wuauserv start= disabled
net stop wuauserv

[do your long running task]

sc config wuauserv start= demand
net start wuauserv

:(

Akai__

How come that UWP stuff is still not showing up in the built in Windows 10 Volume Mixer and I have to use stuff like Ear Trumpet to customize my volume for running UWP games/apps?

I hope this is something that will be in the next update.

Quick question: Does anyone knows when you make a system refresh but chose to keep your files if the packages folder is emptied? That's where metro apps are installed.

I ask, because I've been through a few refreshes, and today I noticed I should have more space left than I had on my surface, and pinned down to that folder. That folder is occupying over 60 GB, but if I go to the installed apps list in settings, it doesn't go over 8.

I dunno if I can just delete anything from that folder XD

Looks really nice. Not a fan of the waste of space above the minimize, restore, and close buttons but it is still in progress.

I think those are just mockups, the pictures from the actual apps have a normal sized bar.
Which is a huge deal and something that has distinguished Apple and Google OSes for years.
Indeed, the apps that seem to be updated with the new language (grove and photos) are super have both super smooth animations, it does make them look a lot more polished.

Now I know why 150007 was pushed so fast, what a crappy build 150002 was. I thought I was going to be stuck with it forever. It wouldn't download the new one, everything was crashing all the time... It took me almost 2 whole days to manage to upgrade past it and a reset XD

Now I know why 150007 was pushed so fast, what a crappy build 150002 was. I thought I was going to be stuck with it forever. It wouldn't download the new one, everything was crashing all the time... It took me almost 2 whole days to manage to upgrade past it and a reset XD

15007 doesn't seem to be that much better on my SP4. Lots on weird behavior from UWP apps and a general slowness. It's expected with how many features got introduced in those builds, though. I guess the feature lock down is coming soon and it's going to be bug fixes from then on out.

Mr_Zombie

On both 15007 and 15002 I have a problem with logging in; after I boot up my PC the system hangs on the login screen (or so it seems, because the loading animation goes on and on for minutes). I have to restart the system and then the system logs in immediately. And this happens every time. :/

Also, each time I start the system one or more icons pinned to the start menu is messed up - either they are rearranged or a duplicate shows up.

Both those updates introduced a lot of improvements, but I think they are the most buggy ones in a while.

Top Bottom