• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 10 |OT| Something Happened? Something Happened.

Melon Husk

Can someone help with special characters in filenames? My wife has a bunch of music with Japanese filenames. These show up in Windows ok. But I'm trying to upload them to onedrive so she can play them in groove music, but they're failing because they have 'special characters'. Is there any way around that? I'm trying to upload via the web, as I'm not syncing the music folder to my computer due to lack of space on my C drive

https://onedrive.uservoice.com/foru...ecial-characters-in-the-na?page=4&per_page=20

September 27, 2016 #workingonit

As a random throw you could try installing the appropriate language pack (press winkey and type "language").

(Disclaimer: I don't use onedrive)

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
After I installed the anniversary update, it's like my IO devices are all laggy and lock up every few seconds. Mouse pointer stops moving for a few seconds, some keystrokes are missed, etc.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
What the fuck. My Windows updated today and now I can't use Bluetooth at all. My speaker and headphone doesn't work. (I paired with my cellphone and everything is okay).

WTF Microsoft...

Can anyone help me?

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
My Win 10 can't seem to update properly to the Anniversary edition. It tries to do it every other day but after installing and rebooting it always locks up at a black screen with a spinning circle of dots. It will sit there for half a day just spinning, I've tried it. Inevitably I have to press the reset button and then upon booting up it tells me the update failed and it restores Win 10 to pre update status. And two days later it tries again, and fails, and this is the circle my PC seems to be stuck in.

Is there any way to STOP the Anniversary update? I've googled it but found nothing, and it seems like my issue is super common, yet I can't seem to find a resolution to it. Very frustrating, suddenly I'm very much missing Win 7. :(

https://onedrive.uservoice.com/foru...ecial-characters-in-the-na?page=4&per_page=20

September 27, 2016 #workingonit

As a random throw you could try installing the appropriate language pack (press winkey and type "language").

(Disclaimer: I don't use onedrive)

I fell bad for all of those guys trying to sync their VS projects.

When they get past the special characters problem they will have to deal with the insanely high cpu usage, the files not syncing properly, and every now and them creation of duplicates with the "-PCNAME" added to the files (and it does it even on a single user account, I can't imagine how it would go on a business one XD).

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Well i was hoping a system restore might allow me to undo things, or a startup repair.

Both options failed to process fully. :/

wtf did MS do with the updates over the last week?

Oh great.

I was stuck at a preview build because of an error. When I tried to install a new build it said an application prevented it (though it wouldn't tell me which) and even after uninstalling every single win32 applications and services installed it still wouldn't update.

Then I decide to refresh the install (keeping my files, but apparently not my settings) and the insider ring gets changed on its own to slow.

But, it turns out the build I'm using has a known bug that you can't change the ring. Which was okay again as I could just wait for a new build on the slow ring.

But then a pop up came telling me that in a little more than two weeks my pc won't even boot.

Any chances Ms releases a new build by then or will I have to get ahead of it and force update a new build?

Well, yeah. Not totally unexpected but Ms did indeed expired build 14905 without fixing the bug that prevents changing the insider ring, or even releasing a newer build on the slow ring so people stuck can upgrade.

And it gets better. The build doesn't just restart as they said it would, it does so by erroring into a blue screen with no warning or countdown before. Just a blue screen of death that happens no matter what you are doing and have no consideration to the apps running. Since these restarts started happening I got Edge to lose all my cookies twice, word corrupted a file I was working on (thank god for onedrive that saved a previous version), and even Corel corrupted another file that I wasn't so lucky because onedrive uploaded the corrupted version and there's no version story for this file type.

Oh, and you know what's even better? I tried getting a newer ISO to download so I could upgrade all of last week, but the Windows Insider page wouldn't recognize me as being a insider for whatever reason and thus blocked me of downloading it. (And I can log into the windows insider webpage fine, it's just the particular page where you download the ISO that doesn't recognize me.

Great handling of the insider builds, Ms. This totally makes me want to continue on it.

I got the anniversary update a week or two ago on my personal PC at home and everything went great.

The AU just hit my work laptop while I was at work in the middle of something. Something fucking happened. It fucked everything up beyond salvage. All the permissions got wrecked, all 'apps' stopped working including Settings, all the appdata got fucked so half my programs no longer worked, start button was dead, .net framework was messed up and windows update itself was broken. Documents and Downloads were moved entirely to Windows.Old too given me a short panic when I thought all my files were gone since those folders in their usual locations were totally empty. Best of all, it would not allow me to revert any recent updates. Failed every time.

Shit this has been a fucking mess. Really a big waste of my time. In the end I threw in the towel and wiped the damn thing to start over, but it's going to take me a couple more hours to reinstall all the work necessary programs and configure them all correctly.

Joe

Guys and gals, how is a 7,200 RPM HDD in Windows 10? I love the SSD in my old laptop because it boots up quick and opens applications really quick.

I need a new computer I'm wondering if an SSD still makes that big of a difference in W10 or would an HDD be a little slower but still really quick?

Boot-up comparison videos on YouTube make the HDD look like a complete snail but the videos are kind of old.

clav

Makes a huge difference.

Otherwise, consider installing an OS that uses a more efficient file system (ext4).

DonMigs85

A SATA3 SSD generally makes a big difference only in bootup times, loading background apps/tasks and loading larger/more complex apps and games. But honestly for regular usage that doesn't involve heavy reads/writes a larger capacity 7200RPM HDD is preferable IMO.

ezodagrom

Guys and gals, how is a 7,200 RPM HDD in Windows 10? I love the SSD in my old laptop because it boots up quick and opens applications really quick.

I need a new computer I'm wondering if an SSD still makes that big of a difference in W10 or would an HDD be a little slower but still really quick?

Boot-up comparison videos on YouTube make the HDD look like a complete snail but the videos are kind of old.
For me it takes several minutes for the PC to fully start with a 7200 rpm HDD (that is, reaching the desktop with every application in the taskbar that appears next to the clock up and running). A SSD is alot faster, no comparison.

Outside of that, a HDD is okay for regular use.

Really fucking hate how even with Pro, and how things are set up, the computer will always restart to install updates. There is no deferring, there is no rescheduling, there is nothing other than going into the task scheduler, changing a value and then screwing with something in the Windows/System32 folder. Fuck you MS for doing FORCED restarts. I really don't want to use third party software to prevent resetting or do things to these files but fucking hell...

Really fucking hate how even with Pro, and how things are set up, the computer will always restart to install updates. There is no deferring, there is no rescheduling, there is nothing other than going into the task scheduler, changing a value and then screwing with something in the Windows/System32 folder. Fuck you MS for doing FORCED restarts. I really don't want to use third party software to prevent resetting or do things to these files but fucking hell...

You can absolutely delay and schedule the restarts for you updates. I believe even up to 7 days after the update was installed.

l9f0fod.jpg

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2953010/windows/how-to-schedule-your-windows-10-updates.html

ezodagrom

While the setting is kinda hidden, in the pro version, can set windows update to notify without downloading and installing through group policies.

Windows key + R, gpedit.msc, Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Update, Configure Automatic Updates, and select "Notify for download and notify for install".

While the setting is kinda hidden, in the pro version, can set windows update to notify without downloading and installing through group policies.

Windows key + R, gpedit.msc, Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Update, Configure Automatic Updates, and select "Notify for download and notify for install".

Awesome, thanks. Hopefully that did it. But seriously, fuck you MS for basically hiding that shit.

Le-mo

I got Windows 10 last week and been holding out on the anniversary update cause of the problems I've read about. Is it safe to update now?

Mr_Zombie

A new preview build landed today on the Fast Ring and there's an option to hide the all apps list from the Start Menu:

You toggle between app list and tiles by clicking on those two buttons under the hamburger.

I got Windows 10 last week and been holding out on the anniversary update cause of the problems I've read about. Is it safe to update now?

It really depends on a PC. At home, I'm in the Insider Preview program and I haven't got any problems with any build that has been released thus far. My work laptop also upgraded nicely to the Anniversary version without any problems. However, my coworker's laptop (the same model) suddenly stopped recognizing finger prints after the update. So, yeah, it's really hard to tell whether it's safe or not.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I got a forced update yesterday. How much crap that I disabled am I going to have to try and disable again, regarding privacy and all that stuff from the link in the OP?

A new preview build landed today on the Fast Ring and there's an option to hide the all apps list from the Start Menu:

You toggle between app list and tiles by clicking on those two buttons under the hamburger.

It really depends on a PC. At home, I'm in the Insider Preview program and I haven't got any problems with any build that has been released thus far. My work laptop also upgraded nicely to the Anniversary version without any problems. However, my coworker's laptop (the same model) suddenly stopped recognizing finger prints after the update. So, yeah, it's really hard to tell whether it's safe or not.
Much better without the app list.

Are there any cheap small win10 tablets now? My sp3 battery life is terrible these days and a bit too heavy for using around all the time.

Jigolo

Anybody know a simple way to make the computer switch to this little amp thing I bought when I plug in the headphones?

When I plug in the amp all sound goes through there which means the speakers on the monitor don't produce anything. (headphones unplugged obviously)

Anybody know a simple way to make the computer switch to this little amp thing I bought when I plug in the headphones?

When I plug in the amp all sound goes through there which means the speakers on the monitor don't produce anything. (headphones unplugged obviously)
LYTBXQ2.png

Click on the arrow to expand/colapse the list.

JB1981

Thought this might be the best place to ask. I "upgraded" to Windows 10 yesterday and now my PC crashes whenever I play Steam games. I get a D3d override error or something? I thought it might be because I didn't install the latest Nvidia drivers so I went it got the latest drivers. Drivers are installed, Windows Anniversary installed yet I'm still getting the D3D override crashes. Never had this problem on Windows 8.1.

Any tips? I uninstalled my graphics drivers and Steam and reinstalled but still getting same errors

Joe

Makes a huge difference.

Otherwise, consider installing an OS that uses a more efficient file system (ext4).

A SATA3 SSD generally makes a big difference only in bootup times, loading background apps/tasks and loading larger/more complex apps and games. But honestly for regular usage that doesn't involve heavy reads/writes a larger capacity 7200RPM HDD is preferable IMO.

For me it takes several minutes for the PC to fully start with a 7200 rpm HDD (that is, reaching the desktop with every application in the taskbar that appears next to the clock up and running). A SSD is alot faster, no comparison.

Outside of that, a HDD is okay for regular use.
Thanks a lot! I'm going to go with an SSD and HDD combo. Fast booting is a really nice luxury to have.

Joe

Windows 10 Update is hanging and the window won't open, is this common?

I did a clean install with the latest Win10 ISO available . Only issue right now is Updates download progress has been stuck for about 30 minutes and now the window won't open.

I'm curious if I should just let it sit or just stop it altogether.

CSJ

Working on a PC that a blind guy uses that just had the Windows 10 Anniversary Update.
It's made all the programs he uses to navigate stop working as well as disabled hardware he uses to help with this.

:(

To clarify, the update happened at his home not while I had it. Lord no!

Working on a PC that a blind guy uses that just had the Windows 10 Anniversary Update.
It's made all the programs he uses to navigate stop working as well as disabled hardware he uses to help with this.

:(

To clarify, the update happened at his home not while I had it. Lord no!

Great job, Microsoft. Nothing wrong with forcing updates on the disabled or even the technically illiterate at all.

They just have to flip some registry keys and update some drivers. Duh.

Melon Husk

Some recent update I was forced upon removed the "show lock screen background picture in sign-in screen" -switch. ��

Quick

Banned
Is there a way to upgrade my PC from Windows 10 Home to Pro using a Windows 8 Pro product key without doing a reinstall of 8?

I have a Windows 8 Pro key not in use since I got a new PC.

Baleoce

I swear since the anniversary update Windows 10 has decided to give even less shits about the minuscule bandwidth that's available to me.

Here's my process list in task manager organised by network activity:

tIcwIjt.png

(Yeah I know, 1.8Mbps is a joke, but it's what I have to live with)

Somebody throw me a bone here, because Windows Update is doing nothing, I checked myself. it's up to date. In 'advanced options' everything is off, and in 'choose how updates are delivered' I've set it to 'Off', as I thought maybe other devices on the network could be contacting it. For good measure I turned the settings off on the other machines too. I also turned OneDrive off.

So if that's not the issue, then I decided to look up this Background Intelligent Transfer Service (or BITS for short) that appears at the top of that SVCHost Process list.

Looked up a guide here where it reads:

If you have a Pro edition of Windows, you can use Group Policy even if you're not on a domain. Run gpedit.msc to open the Local Group Policy Editor. Expand the following containers in the left pane: Computer Configuration → Administrative Templates → Network → Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS). Double-click the setting called Limit the maximum network bandwidth for BITS background transfers. In the dialog that appears, you can set one maximum rate for "working hours" (on a schedule you define) and a different maximum for other times. If you want to set the maximum to a certain value all the time, just make the two rates the same and clear the Use all available unused bandwith box, like this:

00jwv.png

So I did this (setting it to something reasonable for my connection that would still allow me to operate but let the OS do whatever it needed to do), and it achieved nothing. SVCHost was still using 1.8Mbps constantly. I read up about it a bit more, and heard anecdotes of other people noticing that Windows 10 actively ignores that BITS limiter.

The only thing that actually ended up working for whatever reason, was when I rebooted my machine, and even that doesn't work all the time. But what kind of a solution is that? I want to know what is using that bandwidth and limit it or restrict it to certain hours, none of which seems possible. Webpages load at a crawl whenever Windows 10 decides to do this, and I at least want to know why, and I don't think that's asking too much of any half respectable OS.

Help! Is top10antivirus.com safe?

They link me to the McAfee site with a sale on the program for a price of like $25.00

Yet on the actual McAffee site, the sale is at $40.

Is this a special promo or am I being redirected? Keep in mind these are canadian prices

dLMN8R

They link me to the McAfee site with a sale on the program for a price of like $25.00

Is this a special promo or am I being redirected? Keep in mind these are canadian prices

Just stop altogether. Use Windows Defender. You'll be fine.

Sydle

Why would I get 50%-100% harddisk usage sometimes with nothing open? When it happens my PC becomes pretty much useless and I have to do a hard reset. Sometimes my PC will take 10 minutes to boot when typically I can go from cold boot to browsing the internet in 15 seconds.

I'm running Windows 10 Pro off of a 256GB SSD that has only 60GB in use, with everything else on a 1TB HDD that has only 300GB in use. All drivers up to date. 16GB of RAM. i7 3770k. All this stuff started happening with the Anniversary Update, but I don't know how to diagnose the exact problem and turn off or eliminate whatever shit MS put into this update.

I have a friend who just updated and all his display ports stopped working. I don't know how to fuck MS releases garbage like this and thinks it's okay.

Just use Defender and Malwarebytes. All you really need, honestly.

xrnzaaas

Just got my first BSoD in a while after this month's update (video tdr failure) when using Windows Media Player Classic. I've updated my Nvidia drivers (I was too lazy to do that on my own ;)) and we'll see if that solves the problem.

Ahasverus

My Windows updated and deleted 10 years of family photos. It also doesn't let my pc recignize my external 3.0 hdd anymore. I mean, it gets read but I can't access it. My windows pre-anniversary laptop accesses it OK.

Microsoft is a joke man.

maeh2k

My Windows updated and deleted 10 years of family photos. It also doesn't let my pc recignize my external 3.0 hdd anymore. I mean, it gets read but I can't access it. My windows pre-anniversary laptop accesses it OK.

Microsoft is a joke man.

Two things:
- if you have important data, back it up
- even if the photos are deleted, as long as you don't overwrite all those bits and bytes, they are basically still there. There are tools that can search the disk for lost files and restore them. If you want to go this route, try not using the disk. Use another device to read up on which tools there are and how to use them.

Ahasverus

Two things:
- if you have important data, back it up
- even if the photos are deleted, as long as you don't overwrite all those bits and bytes, they are basically still there. There are tools that can search the disk for lost files and restore them. If you want to go this route, try not using the disk. Use another device to read up on which tools there are and how to use them.
Ooh.. What tools do you recommend?

Mr_Zombie

Not that I don't believe you, but there's no way Windows could delete your photos on its own. During the upgrade all the installer modifies are system folders: Windows, Program Files and AppData in your User folder. It doesn't touch your personal files.

Top Bottom