• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 10 |OT| Something Happened? Something Happened.

jelly

Question: If i upgrade to from Win7 to Win10 today. And then at a later date decide to reformat my drive or rebuild my rig, will I still have the Win10 licence?

Yeah, Microsoft has your computer registered on their servers.

Do people use Groove as their music player or something else? I haven't used it much but couldn't believe it doesn't have a seek bar among other things. I feel like I should just download Zune again.

dLMN8R

Do people use Groove as their music player or something else? I haven't used it much but couldn't believe it doesn't have a seek bar among other things. I feel like I should just download Zune again.

What? Of course it has a seek bar. What Groove are you using?

FyreWulff

What? Of course it has a seek bar. What Groove are you using?

I was confused about this too. The seek bar ONLY shows up when Groove is maximized. Windowed you have no seek bar. It's silly.

windowed

Cojh20hUAAADbL0.jpg:large

Maximized

dLMN8R

If you click the name of the artist/track that's playing, it brings you into a Now Playing mode that does have a scrubber even in the most minimized state:

Anh1hJQ.png

dLMN8R

What is this light theme garbage?? You monsters!!

Dark themes always mess with my vision :-(

Whether it's the Windows dark theme, or web sites which happen to have dark backgrounds with light text, it always leaves me screwed up after I finish reading or using things.

You should use Zune regardless. It's the better software, if you have your own music library.

clav

So for Celebrating the Windows 10 Anniversary, they had given us Insiders a bunch of wallpapers and Gifs which is cool i guess.
fjVoN1k.gif

That reminds me.

When will Windows bring back Vista's feature of animated desktops?

Cinemagraphs can replace static wall papers.

Still don't understand why all we got was a still of the illuminated Windows logo rather than an animated one.

Caayn

You in Release Preview?
Jup.
That reminds me.

When will Windows bring back Vista's feature of animated desktops?

Cinemagraphs can replace static wall papers.

Still don't understand why all we got was a still of the illuminated Windows logo rather than an animated one.
Didn't Windows 7 supported it as well, albeit via registry hack. I remember doing that when W7 was just released. Would be a cool feature to bring back.

PaulLFC

Have Microsoft commented on whether the "Xbox Play Anywhere" games will be listed on the Windows Store once the public Anniversary update is out?

I want to preorder Forza Horizon 3, but at the moment it's not listed on the PC Store, so I don't have anything in the way of visual feedback that it'll be "available" to me on release day if that makes sense.

Have Microsoft commented on whether the "Xbox Play Anywhere" games will be listed on the Windows Store once the public Anniversary update is out?

I want to preorder Forza Horizon 3, but at the moment it's not listed on the PC Store, so I don't have anything in the way of visual feedback that it'll be "available" to me on release day if that makes sense.

I'm pretty sure the pre-order shows up when you search for it via search box in the Store app.

Edit: I fixed it

Crossposting this from the NAS thread:

This seems to be the right thread for this IT question:

I have a NAS device, and everything was peachy on Windows 7. I upgraded to Windows 10 and now I can't connect to it through programs.

Here's a screenshot showing that my QNAP NAS shows up on Windows explorer:

Ok, now here's the missing path on my (really important business) software:

Worse yet, if I manually enter the path, my software gets borked and then refuses to open, with Event Viewer displaying one of those vague Event ID 1000 errors, "the process was terminated due to an unhandled exception." I have to reinstall the software in order to be able to open it again.

Does anyone know how to get software to recognize a path that it should be able to see?

shoreu

Hey guys so my friend is swearing by god that cutting off Superfetch on my computer will make is run so much faster is this true (for gaming)

Did you try re-mapping the network drive?

Also, if that does not work, try running your software in compatibility mode?

Yeah I did both of those and updated the firmware for my NAS, still not working. Other programs can find it just fine, but this one can't.

Edit: fixed it

I got a scary update story.
I have another scary story...

I downloaded the update and it went well, then I closed everything and clicked on reboot now. I waited the update to be done, then after I put my user password it shows the screen of "We are getting everything ready" and went to dinner, when I got back my laptop was showing the BIOS screen.

It was weird but once, some weeks ago, when my laptop crashed and shut down out of the blue, it did show my BIOS screen too, I only had to exit without doing any change and everything went back to normal. (That was the only time it has happened since November - when I got my laptop)

So I exit BIOS, my laptop reboots.... and BIOS again. This time I change the boot sequence, but it didn't work. So I look up my Storage Information in my BIOS fearing the worse, and yep. For some reason my laptop no longer detected my PCIE SSD's (which are on RAID).

I used my USB with the recovery tool for Windows 10 to have access to cmd, then conected my usb which has the drivers for the SSDs and tried to install them from cmd, but it didn't work. So I went with the installation wizard of windows 10, and used the option to load drivers, and once my drivers were installed and the ssd showed up in the driver selection in the installation wizard I stop the installation process, reboot my laptop, remove my USB.

And magic, I'm back, but with Windows 10 Redstone installed.

For a moment I thought I would have to do a clean install of Windows 10, then download an ISO of Redstone, and do another clean install...

Thanfully it was avoided. Just one question, did the text selection color change in W10 Redstone?
6xUDQgu.png

I don't recall it being that dark...

Outside of installing Soldier of Fortune on a Win 7 machine and directly copy all the files over, is there a way to get around Win 10's ability to stop apps/exes from running on the OS (it's basically saying it's not compatible/too old or something and it won't allow it to run)?

Outside of installing Soldier of Fortune on a Win 7 machine and directly copy all the files over, is there a way to get around Win 10's ability to stop apps/exes from running on the OS (it's basically saying it's not compatible/too old or something and it won't allow it to run)?

Compatibility still needs work on Windows 10, Windows 7 is still far better in that department. I'd post that issue on the feedback app to get it fixed.

DonMigs85

Compatibility still needs work on Windows 10, Windows 7 is still far better in that department. I'd post that issue on the feedback app to get it fixed.

I wanted to install some old Nvidia graphics demos but after unzipping it doesn't do anything. They worked on Windows 7.
Applying compat mode settings didn't work either

PaulLFC

I'm pretty sure the pre-order shows up when you search for it via search box in the Store app.
Thanks. Decided to take the plunge and preordered on Xbox.com - it shows up there (obviously) and on the XB1 itself that the preorder is "owned", but nothing when searching the PC store as yet - the game (FH3) doesn't exist there yet. Ah well, presumably it'll all work itself out by launch day.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Not sure if it was an update or what, but for the second time Win10 decided to tie a Live/Microsoft account to my PC instead of letting me continue to use my local account.

I restarted my PC tonight, and was greeted with a lock screen and password prompt. I normally don't use a password on my PC, and quickly realized what had happened, because it's not the first time. I use lastpass and long randomized strings of characters for all my passwords, so I couldn't just remember it and type it in. Especially since my MS account serves as little more than a tertiary email account.

So I grab my phone to use lastpass and get the password, but lastpass tells me I'm logging in from an unrecognized device or new location, and that I need to verify via email. Which I can't do because I can't use my PC or log into shit anywhere else because I can't access lastpass!

I was extremely fortunate to remember an old "backdoor" to some of my passwords, and fortunately that worked. But why the fuck was that even necessary? What is MS doing adding an account and password to my PC without my permission and knowledge? It happened before not long after I first upgraded and it was an old account I hadn't touched for the better part of a decade. I was fortunate in that case that I was able to work out the password and get rid of it then.

cabot

I'm having a strange issue where my GPU seems to be getting severly impaired, and I'm pretty sure it's windows based.

Basically there are 2 symptoms

1) The sound from my soundbar (send through HDMI from graphics card) becomes distorted and warped when I do stuff which puts load on the GPU (opening browsers, possibly where flash is involved)
2) Games performance is a lot worse. Example being Dying Light main menu was chugging in the 20s whereas in a brief period of the issue not occurring, it looked ~60 frames.

Now as mentioned I did the cumulative update for the insider build, and after rebooting the issue was gone completely. Hooray. I turned it off to go in the bedroom for a while before returning and turning it back on.

The issue returned, and here I am.

Anyone experienced anything like this?

I did a clean install of my graphics driver, I'm now considering going back a build.

You can downgrade from Insider to standard release right? That's a simple thing to do.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
been up and running a few hours now. so far so good...i guess time will tell how it is stability and performance wise. played a couple games with no issue.

i was worried about the changes to the start menu but i actually prefer it this way. it was just one of those things i had to try out for myself. also there was stuff about cortana. i thought we wouldn't be able to turn it off. i don't use cortana only the search box to find programs and stuff. works exactly like it did before. also notifications seem to be better now that i can finally get them for incoming email. never seemed to work for me before.

as long as i don't get any performance or instability then i'm happy. great update!

noomi

So I wake up this morning and turn on my computer to do some work before leaving the house....

"Please do not turn off computer, updating 30%"

MOTHERFUCKER! I wanted to wait until the weekend... oh well.

Anyways, I got the update played around for a few minutes, and everything seems ot be working for now.... will do a fresh install this weekend though anyway.

I noticed that the start menu has now changed.... is there any way to get it to look how it did pre-AU? Meaning, when I click on the start menu to not have it show all programs? I don't like that I have the click the little 3 lines in the upper left to show my computer, downloads, music...etc... is there a way to have it always displayed rather than clicking the three lines?

ezodagrom

I noticed that the start menu has now changed.... is there any way to get it to look how it did pre-AU? Meaning, when I click on the start menu to not have it show all programs? I don't like that I have the click the little 3 lines in the upper left to show my computer, downloads, music...etc... is there a way to have it always displayed rather than clicking the three lines?
Seems like there's no way to change that atm, for me that's even the main reason I'm sticking to the TH2 version (that and the action center icon being on the right side of the clock).

Now I'm glad I have the pro version though, since my windows update is set to notify me before transfering/installing updates instead of it being automatic (had to be set through group policies though, gotta hide options away), was able to use this tool to hide the anniversary update from the windows update list.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930

On my Windows 7 machine at work, if I try to open a pinned folder from my jump list, it will bring the explorer window into focus if it was already open.

In Windows 10, it opens a duplicate explorer window. Where do I find the setting to configure this behaviour?

clav

Sorry, just doublechecked on Speedtest. We have a 5MB/s upload speed.

The max OneDrive upload speed I can get is ~650KB/s.

Speedtest measures things in bits unless you changed the reporting measurement in settings.

5 Megabits * 1 Byte / 8 bits *1000 = 625 KB/sec

B and b are not the same thing.

tim.mbp

Is there any setting to allow W10 apps like WatchESPN to continue playing when minimized? The Background App settings don't seem to cover it.

commedieu

Banned
thanks for that update MS, now my printer doesn't work and removing/ installing drivers hang on install.

Broke that 6 year run!

Top Bottom