• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 10 |OT| Something Happened? Something Happened.

JCG

I guess the prudent move would be to sit out this update for at least a couple of weeks, no? Hopefully there will be new user tweaks and fixes to common issues by then.

The heck, my Windows Start Button doesn't work anymore. As in when I click the Windows Button the start menu doesn't pop up. Furthermore right-clicking doesn't do a thing as well, same goes for the icons in the taskbar.
Is MS forcing me to download and install the latest update or something? lol

commedieu

Banned
thanks for that update MS, now my printer doesn't work and removing/ installing drivers hang on install.

Broke that 6 year run!

Reverted to previous build after hours of installation attempts. Printer works fine.

Disabling updates as it keeps reverting to the new buid.

Drifters

Reverted to previous build after hours of installation attempts. Printer works fine.

Disabling updates as it keeps reverting to the new buid.

Was there a known issue with Windows 10 for your product? Generally us power users upgrade and then run a "reset" which is close to a clean install that you're going to get. Obviously that wipes out your 'windows.old' folder and you can't go back, but generally, updates address issues that broke things.

Sayers

Anyone else have iTunes completely break after the anniversary update? No idea if they are related but ever since the update, iTunes locks up as soon as I open it.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Since I installed Windows 10, it seems like my pc boots up by itself sometimes. I return home from work today and my pc is on, wtf. This happened last week as well

edit: googled a bit and changed a setting for my router, see if that works

bryanee

Has anyone else experienced this on windows 10? My wifi and Ethernet connections stop working a few times a day and the only way to get them to work is to reboot my laptop.

I've looked into this and I cant find a fix. My consoles and tablet seem to stay connected just fine.

dLMN8R

Has anyone else experienced this on windows 10? My wifi and Ethernet connections stop working a few times a day and the only way to get them to work is to reboot my laptop.

I've looked into this and I cant find a fix. My consoles and tablet seem to stay connected just fine.

Do you have the latest cumulative update installed from Windows Update? I think they have some fixes to crashes which brought down the networking stack until a reboot.

bryanee

Do you have the latest cumulative update installed from Windows Update? I think they have some fixes to crashes which brought down the networking stack until a reboot.

The latest I have is from July 13th. Windows Update says I have the latest updates.

edit -

I'm now up to date with everything. Still getting the issue and I'm now going to proceed to pull my hair out.

I think the anniversary update broke something for uwp vpn apps. No app is working now in any device I have and I've tested on many different networks.

Is it known? Will it be fixed?

Heads up, newest preview build (fast ring) seems to've fucked up my WLAN drivers (Lenovo Y500 laptop). Easy fix, but I had to go out and pick up an ethernet cable.

I dared to switch my Edge browser default search to Google, and Cortana gave up the ghost until I switched it back to Bing. It's ridiculous that the two features are so tightly coupled like that.

Fëanorian;214189308 said:
So I just noticed there's no windows movie maker, so what do I download for that? Any suggestions guys!!

I got it for 7 here, but I haven't used it since I moved to 10. No idea if it'll even function, since the table in there implies they didn't test it on 10.

thenexus6

Just turned on my computer and my media keys aren't working.. iTunes and spotify aren't reacting when I pause, skip track.. I wonder what happened?

Woorloog

Banned
This fucking update!
Fucked up all my start menu settings, updated Skype is a pain in the ass thanks to unclear ugly UI, and i wonder what else is screwed up...
EDIT oh, "light theme" Skype is classic UI. Well then, that helps.

Why can't they make updates that don't touch any settings or at least give an easily accessible list that tells what exactly was adjusted or reset?

EDIT How the fuck do i get rid of that program list in start-menu? It is ugly and takes unnecessary space not to mention being completely unnecessary.
EDIT Looks like i can't? Any regedits for getting rid of that list? I really, really don't want it.

nillapuddin

I have a tablet that Im using in a car, and although in the bios I have it set to "State After G3: s0 State" but it doesn't work. It just stays charging but not turned on.

When I drive everyday its not a big deal because the battery doesnt die that quickly, but if I go an extended time without driving it does and I didnt want to have to engineer a physical button to turn it on. So Im really hoping I can make it work via software.

Suggestions?

context:

BS7iAKR.png

Question for anyone: I have W10 on a SSD that I think might be failing. I had upgraded it from W8.1Pro through the free offer, but never got a chance to pull down an ISO.

If I have to replace the SSD, is there still an ISO available for W10, or do I have to go back to 8.1? (or install 8.1 first and then get 10 from somewhere else?)

Thanks!

Welp, lent my mom my PC for the day and she helpfully tried to upgrade me to the "latest" Insider Preview build.

4 hours later, I've successfully executed a factory reset (thank God for Lenovo's NOVO button) and reupgraded to 10. Now to reinstall everything.

Sigh.

maeh2k

Question for anyone: I have W10 on a SSD that I think might be failing. I had upgraded it from W8.1Pro through the free offer, but never got a chance to pull down an ISO.

If I have to replace the SSD, is there still an ISO available for W10, or do I have to go back to 8.1? (or install 8.1 first and then get 10 from somewhere else?)

Thanks!

The Windows 10 iso should be available somewhere. I wouldn't go back to 8. Better do a clean install.

It might also be possible to create a backup of your current installation and use that on the new ssd. Might get a bit complicated if the ssd size doesn't match.

Thanks!
You can create an ISO or have it put onto a USB drive using this Media Creation Tool they provide.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10/

ZZMitch

So I am not sure if there is a better thread for this but I'll give here a try..

Is it possible to choose audio output on a program basis in Windows 10? I have a laptop hooked up via HDMI to a TV (extended monitor setup). I often play strategy games on my laptop while watching youtube videos on my TV. I am hoping I can have the videos I watch be output from the TV speakers while the games be output from my laptop speakers. Setting a default audio output in Sound just makes them both get output from one or the other.

I am trying out a program I found called CheVolume but it's not free and so I wanted to make sure there was not another way to do this before I bought the software.

dLMN8R

So I am not sure if there is a better thread for this but I'll give here a try..

Is it possible to choose audio output on a program basis in Windows 10? I have a laptop hooked up via HDMI to a TV (extended monitor setup). I often play strategy games on my laptop while watching youtube videos on my TV. I am hoping I can have the videos I watch be output from the TV speakers while the games be output from my laptop speakers. Setting a default audio output in Sound just makes them both get output from one or the other.

I am trying out a program I found called CheVolume but it's not free and so I wanted to make sure there was not another way to do this before I bought the software.

I don't think you can change it app-by-app, but in the anniversary update there's finally a quick toggle right in the main UI:

http://windowsreport.com/change-audio-playback-windows-10-anniversary-updte/

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
So yesterday a massive update started downloading. I have slow DSL (1Mbps) so judging from how long it took, it was about a 3GB update. I had to actually shut down my PC for the night and finish the download today. For whatever reason, Windows Update said the install failed, and now it looks like it's downloading the whole damn thing over again.

With no way to throttle the bandwidth the update is using, my internet connection is basically useless for anything other than downloading this junk until it's done. Is there any way to throttle it, or at least to make it not try to re-download the whole thing?

thetechkid

So I went ahead and applied the newest windows update and now after the laptop finished rebooting and installing transparency appears to be gone in the windows. Am I missing something or was it changed?

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
So my pc started an update tonight, and it literally took 2 hours to go to 100%. I'm guessing this is the anniversary update? But after it rebooted I've now been staring at a black screen with a spinning circle of white dots for well over one hour. I don't know if it's working yet or stuck. My gut tells me to hard reboot the pc but my head tells me to just let it run overnight and check it in the morning.

Sometimes I love Win10 and other times I miss the effortless reliability of Win7....

wwm0nkey

For those who got the missing HDD error, how did you go about fixing it or did you just revert back pre-anniversary update? Because it looks like its either that or using EaseUS recovery

How long is this Anniversary update supposed to take? Came home yesterday to see it at 12%, left it for about 4 hours and nothing. Hard-reset and tried again - this time 3% and another 4 hours and no progress.

Downloaded media creation tool to try that way, now sat watching it at 13% for the last 2 hours.

What a piece of shit.

There's something.... sinister, about Windows 10. I don't know what it is.

UrbanRats

Hey y'all, i need some help.
Back when MS was giving away free W10 update to all W7/8 users, i did "preorder" my copy (it was last summer, or maybe even the 2014 one?).
Anyway, all good there, all it said was that i had reserved my copy, and i had to wait for them to send me the notification to download it, eventually.

The OS wasn't out yet, so i just waited and forgot about it, also 'cause i was fine with W7, but that notification never came.
Even now, that i'm somewhat interested in upgrading due to exclusive games like Forza, if i click the W10 icon in the bottom right of the screen, it tells me that i reserved my copy and to wait for them to notify me when the upgrade is available (the same message i got back in the day).

So how do i actually go about downloading and installing this damn update? My W7 is also completely up to date, too.

teiresias

Neither my desk PC nor my HTPC have had the Anniversary Update pushed to them - they're both on default update settings? Is this normal?

DarthWoo

I'm not sure what's up with this, but ever since the update finally got installed fully (took about two and a half days) my system keeps randomly hanging. I decided to do a backup of stuff from my primary HDD to the secondary, and I noticed it would repeatedly just stop every few minutes, the file transfer speed dropping to zero. Concurrently I could see a bandwidth monitor I had open in my browser would also stop. Everything would eventually resume, and the bandwidth monitor would advance really quickly to catch up to the current time and go back to normal speed. Did this update screw up my PC?

Edit: I guess I've managed a solution for now. From various sites I managed to put together that other people were having a similar issue that was caused by the update reverting the SATA driver back to an older version that was somehow defective when coupled with the update. I installed a newer Intel RST driver and things seem to be OK thus far. Pretty stupid thing to break my system though.

Oh great.

I was stuck at a preview build because of an error. When I tried to install a new build it said an application prevented it (though it wouldn't tell me which) and even after uninstalling every single win32 applications and services installed it still wouldn't update.

Then I decide to refresh the install (keeping my files, but apparently not my settings) and the insider ring gets changed on its own to slow.

But, it turns out the build I'm using has a known bug that you can't change the ring. Which was okay again as I could just wait for a new build on the slow ring.

But then a pop up came telling me that in a little more than two weeks my pc won't even boot.

Any chances Ms releases a new build by then or will I have to get ahead of it and force update a new build?

Octavia

Unconfirmed Member
If you don't want to read whining negativity just skip this post but I need to vent. I try to stay moderate on this forum and I generally don't get heated unless it's about animal rights stuff, but I will blatantly say this OS is pathetic, and so are Microsoft for the tactics they used this time around.

My first encounter was when this 'thing' installed itself on my moms computer randomly without her consent. We've been over the fakeout auto-upgrade bullcrap before on here, and it got her. She's not good with tech and she couldn't find any of her files or programs on it anymore (which I now understand why after experiencing it myself). They ended up getting help to fix it since I'm a days travel away, but I was seriously not amused by that, and she wasn't at all happy.

With the Win10 game exclusives, I caved wanting to play the free Halo 5 thing and I got interested in Forza H3. There's already enough discussion for there being exclusives to an OS and using the cruddy windows store, so I'll save harping on that.

I made a dual boot between my 7 and the new 10 install, and my entire experience has been extremely frustrating to downright broken. Start sucks, it's impossible to find anyting without classicshell, bloatware zynga junk pre-install, spying, blah blah you heard it all I'm sure but having to go through it all is so annoying.

The biggest point I wanted to touch on though: is why in the holy mother of fuck did they make it so that if you log into the windows store, it will, without warning, forcibly change your computers user sign in and password to the windows store login email and password?

This has got to be the worst designed bug I've ever seen. It's such an ameature mistake. I'm the use case where this would have borked my computer. I use Keypass for big long convoluted high bit passwords. My windows store logon was an old hotmail I've been using with a high bit password to protect it. If I wasn't dual booting and couldn't go check the keypass file on the other partition, I'd have been locked out of my PC, without warning or consent. That. Is. Horseshit.

edit: OH, so then when I want to actually change my password (even though I know it) they make me send a recovery code to another email of mine, this takes forever (when every other service I've used is instant) and they have the gall after entering the code to nag me to use their smartphone app to make it faster. What the fuck is their problem?

Swig_

I'm not sure if this is a Windows 10 problem or Windows in general, but:

I have a media server pc in my living room. I mostly use to as a Plex server, but it has decent specs and a 750ti. It's a modified Dell Optiplex 960 SFF.

I bought a Linksys WUSB6300 WiFi adapter for it. For some reason, whenever it's connected via WiFi, RDP to the machine is unusably slow. Things take 10-30 seconds to show up, like Chrome or Control Panel. When it's plugged in wired by the built in ethernet port, RDP is fast enough. I've reinstalled the WiFi adapter drivers, messed around with settings, but nothing seems to work. There's almost nothing on the PC, aside from Plex, Steam, Dropbox and a handful of other utility programs.

I used to have Windows 7 and Windows 8 on it, but it's only been noticeably bad with Windows 10, as far as I can remember.

Any ideas why this would be happening? I'm about to just install Linux, but Linux gaming is mediocre at best.

The biggest point I wanted to touch on though: is why in the holy mother of fuck did they make it so that if you log into the windows store, it will, without warning, forcibly change your computers user sign in and password to the windows store login email and password?

I have my account as a Ms account already, but I think it doesn't. At least it's not supposed to. I believe it asks the first time you log in into a Ms account if you want to log into just one app or change your Pc account into a Ms account.

EDIT:

Why does onedrive creates albums automatically for every freaking photo I upload to it? Even screen captures XD It's okay to auto tag anything I upload, but actually creating an album? Why would anyone want that?

And more importantly how can I disable it? I prefer to create my albums myself, thank you.

Baleoce

Spent all of yesterday evening and overnight downloading the Windows 10 anniversary update on a 2MB download internet connection, and it got to 80% and failed due to a lack of space. Instead of you know, pausing itself and letting me remove stuff. Just nope. Let's start again from scratch. Bloody ridiculous. This OS makes too many assumptions about your connection quality and how it affects the usage of the OS. With a 2MB connection, whenever an automatic (or other) update is done directly from the update menu, the connection is crippled.

Line_HTX

Has anyone been having random hangups or slight freezes after the Anniversary Update was installed? I've been getting more unresponsiveness since last Friday, and I'm not using many programs just like before the giant update. It's kind of frustrating because the update for whatever reason feels like it's slowing down my PC. These hangups never happened before. I tried opening Task Manager and for some reason Disk was at 100% and I can't figure out what is causing that because it's frozen until it comes back.

Also, why the fuck did this update put Cortana on permanently?

Putosaure

What the hell is wrong with this 1607 update?
I can't uninstall shit, and can't download apps from the Windows Store. Is it that hard Microsoft?

DarthWoo

Has anyone been having random hangups or slight freezes after the Anniversary Update was installed? I've been getting more unresponsiveness since last Friday, and I'm not using many programs just like before the giant update. It's kind of frustrating because the update for whatever reason feels like it's slowing down my PC. These hangups never happened before. I tried opening Task Manager and for some reason Disk was at 100% and I can't figure out what is causing that because it's frozen until it comes back.

Also, why the fuck did this update put Cortana on permanently?

I was having such problems. Check your event viewer. I had a ton of warnings about my hard drive resetting or something like that. It turned out that something was wrong with the default SATA/AHCI driver that the update had installed, and I had to install a newer Intel RST driver in my case, which seems to have fixed it for the moment.

Juanfp

Two days ago I did the Anniversary Update. Before the update all my games where running fine, was playing Deus Ex HR at 1080p 60fps locked max settings, after the update it began to drop fps alot. I disable the Xbox DVR and nothing. Then in reddit some told me to go to Nvidia Panel and change Power Management Mode to "Prefer maximum perfomance", with that I think that it resolve the problems.

But now thinking, I don't even remember changing that option before and the performance of my game was good. This is the first time I had problems with an update.

xrnzaaas

Windows 10 is really something else. The anniversary update became available to install today. :) Hopefully it's fixed by now so I won't have to rollback.

red731

Fuck this update!
Messed my PC real good!
Can't use start menu, can't see uat prompts, chrome is white, Spotify not rendering at all!

MarkusRJR

I feel like I'm going to throw my tablet at a wall. So done with this. Fuck Windows 10 on tablets. Can someone please help me?

Tried updated my Windows 10 tablet to Anniversary, since it constantly keeps giving me notifcations whenever I use the tablet. Problem is I'm using a 16gb tablet and I only have 3gb usable space with nothing installed (3.8gb if One Drive didn't automatically copy eveything onto my storage instead of being online only). With a few apps apps I only have 2gb left.

So the first time I try to update it tells me I have no space and that I can use a USB stick to update. I borrow a OTG Micro USB to USB cable and at first it works, but then the battery dies. I charge it up and try again but it refuses to give me the error window that gives me the sub stick option and instead just tells me I have no space and tells me to try again. Now I have no option to update via USB and it keeps telling me to update whenever I use the tablet.

Spent forever deleting all my apps and I still can't update. What the actual fuck am I supposed to do? I have a 32gb microSD card in the tablet and 128gb USB stick but nope, Windows 10 needs to use internal storage. Ugh.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Can someone help with special characters in filenames? My wife has a bunch of music with Japanese filenames. These show up in Windows ok. But I'm trying to upload them to onedrive so she can play them in groove music, but they're failing because they have 'special characters'. Is there any way around that? I'm trying to upload via the web, as I'm not syncing the music folder to my computer due to lack of space on my C drive

Top Bottom