• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 11…. Is it time yet?

darrylgorn

583247.jpg

Get a Mac.

Last edited:

Tams

I did a reinstall/refresh of a Windows 11 system last night. Before I'd tried it and it was no better.

This time it is noticeably better. It was absolute shit until a restart after initial launch, but whatever. The new settings are quite responsive.

However, I did have reason to go into the old settings and the difference is still night and day. Old settings is just instant. Add to that, old settings (notably Control Panel) has access to almost everything in once click on less than one page. The new settings is more 'newb' friendly and all pretty, put everything is blown up and tucked away in sub-menus that you need to click to get to.

Not to mention, some settings just aren't there.

Whatever was really borking that system seems to have gone now.

The new widgets are okay, but I still can't find a way to get rid of the 'news'. There's only an option to edit your preferences (which then opens in fucking Edge).

And still, fuck the developers for making it slower and removing features.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Not at the moment no, but Microsoft will stop support for windows 10 in a couple of years, officially 2025, but that may change
When they stop supporting Windows 10 then upgrading makes sense, just for security updates....if that bothers you.
But otherwise even without those security updates Windows 10 does everything Windows 11 does, so no real reason to go forward.

There is literally no reason to be on Windows 11 over Windows 10.

Last edited:

simpatico

I'm an oldschool power user that used to keep full control over my Windows processes, if something sneaked in without my permission I just tossed it out, keeping everything clean and tidy.. I'm also a Linux pro at work (well, used to, I'm no longer working in a developer team). And also a long time former Apple / Mac fanboy. Anyway, the point is I still like the Windows 11 user experience.. With Powertoys it's just smooth sailing now when it's kinda starting to see signs of maturing, and I find myself missing mostly nothing. I'm just glad I'm spending my time better on other stuff than lots of largely useless OS tweaking.

Btw, system clock seconds are coming back in a build around the corner for those who for whatever reason miss it. There's absolutely no nag in my W11 version, but perhaps it's because I realized my compulsive resistance to stuff like onedrive was a waste of time. It's just there in the background now, never see it - just like automatic updates that I've rarely ever seen because it usually just happens in a lower power state (not just w11 of course but pretty neat).
I wear a mechanical watch and have been setting it to my Windows system time for over a decade. I understand that you can strip off the bloat, but after you do trim all the fat, aren't you left with...... Windows 10 with flat, minimalist accents?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
It's getting better and improving like 10.

It's better than it was a year ago for me. I'm in the beta program too but those changes are coming along.

And regardless of what software it is, it's reassuring to see quite the regular amount of updates much like a game that is getting improvements post release. I woke up this morning to another update as a matter of fact.

Praise the cooter.

Irobot82

Is there a way to stop the widget popup that happens whenever you get close to touching your windows menu button? I fucking hate that thing.

SZips

Is there a way to stop the widget popup that happens whenever you get close to touching your windows menu button? I fucking hate that thing.
Could always just disable widgets.

Right click taskbar > Taskbar settings > Widgets = Off

As for the topic: I switched to Win11 earlier this month. No major issues so far. Though I sometimes have this white border around some menu items the moment I open them? Not sure what's up with that. Searched around and it might be related to some accessibility stuff even though I don't use any of it. So I went and fully disabled all of those and I guess we'll see what happens on next startup.

Last edited:

Hoddi

I've been using Win11 since launch and I haven't had any issues. If your Win10 is up to date then it's basically the same OS anyway.

It just has a different UI and some minor features that are new.

There is Linux but that is like asking to cut a limb just to check how difficult is the life of a disabled person.
I'm on Linux since last year.

There are distros which work out of the box, download stuff with one click of the mouse.

Hell even run Windows games with one click on Wine/Proton.

Check out Zorin OS- free version.

It has everything out of the box, maybe not flatpak/flathub. I think it uses snap instead. You just install it and you can have every app installed with a click, newest versions. That's about it.

It is polished and looks like Windows too.

But yeah, lets post stuff like everything is an Arch install- and you have to do ms-dos everything with commands :messenger_grinning_sweat:.

Last edited:

Boss Mog

I have 11 on my laptop and I don't like it because they took away the ability to customize the Start menu. On my Windows 10 desktop PC I use a program called TileIconifier to create custom tiles in the Start menu for my most used apps and games ; it looks super clean and is very efficient. With that option gone in 11 I've been reluctant to switch to it on my desktop.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I'm on Linux since last year.

There are distros which work out of the box, download stuff with one click of the mouse.

Hell even run Windows games with one click on Wine/Proton.

Check out Zorin OS- free version.

It has everything out of the box, maybe not flatpak/flathub. I think it uses snap instead. You just install it and you can have every app installed with a click, newest versions. That's about it.

It is polished and looks like Windows too.

But yeah, lets post stuff like everything is an Arch install- and you have to do ms-dos everything with commands :messenger_grinning_sweat:.

Zorin? I'll have to remember that. I want to like Linux. I really do. It is just hard to. The lack of unity between distros is a huge headache. Sometimes just finding a Linux app that works on all flavors of Linux seems harder than it should. Tried using a simple screen snipping tool in one (Pop OS, I think) but it wouldn't work because Gnome wouldn't allow it. So fine.....swap on your Windows manager. But there are going to be sacrifices. Always are it seems.

Right now, I'm using my Steam Deck as an alternate PC. Posting from it now, in fact. I challenged myself to go a few days just using Linux. It is ok. Works for the most part.

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
Windows 11 is great. These threads remind me of some computer fair I was at in the 90s and these fat PC neckbeards were discussing W98 which had just come out.

I'M NEVER INSTALLING W98 IT SUCKS W95 IS PERFECT.

I always wonder what people are doing on their PC that it really needs the older OS. I mean, I'm gaming, running a Plex server, producing music etc etc and switching to W11 had exactly zero impact expect I like the Start Menu less but I don't care enough about that.

adamosmaki

Stick with 10. I have tried it on 2 systems. My old ryzen 5 1600 and a relatively new ryzen 5 5600. Both times felt laggy. File explorer especially was quite laggy. It takes a second to just open f****g file explorer where as w10 is instant. Also start menu is still quite sh*t ( somehow MS thinks everyone is on a tablet). Then i had vram leaks on a couple of apps ( although i give benefit of a doubt on MS here since it is possible to be an Amd issue more than a Ms issue ).

nkarafo

I always wonder what people are doing on their PC that it really needs the older OS.

And i always wonder, what are people doing on their PC that it really needs the newer OS?

Is there something Windows 11 does now that you can't do in 10? Do you really need the newer OS right now? Was the time you spent doing the jump worth it to you? Is it really better in any way? Because so far you only said it's the same, with only one thing that's worse but you don't care that much about. But it's still worse in a small way. Sounds like a waste of time to me.

Thing is, people are getting used to a certain workflow and when something changes that disrupts this workflow it means they will have to get used to the difference yet again. Getting used to something new that doesn't really offer you something extra or better than before and it's there just for the sake of change, is a complete waste of time. I would only disrupt my workflow if the new system offered me something that does indeed worth such a disruption. That or if i was forced to do the change because a bunch of programs i use no longer support the older OS.

So yeah, i was always late with OS changes. I kept my Windows XP setup until Windows 7 SP1 was released, skipping crap like Vista. And i kept my Windows 7 SP1 setup until Windows 10 became mature enough (around the 1909 update), skipping more crap like Windows 8. And even when i did those changes, i still kept my previous OSes as a dual boot until i was 100% used to the new ones. This always worked great for me since when i do the change, the new OS is mature and i don't have to be a beta tester myself. I let others do the work for me since they are so eager to do so i guess.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
It'll inevitably happen in the future but I see no reason to switch right now.

This is not the same situation like when jumping from 7 to 10 (because no one gave a shit about 8). I jumped to 10 very early on, probably before anyone else from my social circle, because it is just a really good OS for basic gaming needs. But 11 didn't offer any incentive to jump ship so far, and my brother who uses it was kinda meh on it too.

Ronin_7

Windows 11 is great. These threads remind me of some computer fair I was at in the 90s and these fat PC neckbeards were discussing W98 which had just come out.

I always wonder what people are doing on their PC that it really needs the older OS. I mean, I'm gaming, running a Plex server, producing music etc etc and switching to W11 had exactly zero impact expect I like the Start Menu less but I don't care enough about that.

Completely different situations and different timing.

There's nothing Windows 11 does that 10 doesn't.

Best to wait for Windows 12 which will be 11 Full release 👍

I don't have any issues with W11 anymore. The UI is still an inconsistent mess (and W10 is even worse) but it'll never change even with Windows 12 or whatever comes next. At first when I used W11 it was a buggy mess. I had issues with sound and wireless connections both wifi and bluetooth. a few other things i can't remember.

There is no way I'm ever going back to W10 now. Maybe if I didn't use my PC for gaming and wanted rock solid stability. W11 is very stable right now and in terms of gaming there is just so much new tech in W11 or coming to it. For example, if you have a 4000 gpu and use W10 then you're definitely not going to get the most out of your card.

I get if people wanted to avoid it in the first year of launch but there is no reason to NOT use it now. People don't like the new start menu but seriously get a grip lol. It's not even bad and W11 makes a lot of nice UI functionality improvements. File explore is easier to use, it has tabs, and even notepad now. Task Manager is significantly impoved too.

Too many are stubborn and don't like change. I love new software so always jump on it early. While I did have problems early on with W11 and went back to W10 it didn't stop me wanting to get back into it. I've been running it as my main OS for almost a year now.

I remember when people were saying the same about Windows 10. Most people were straight up refusing to move to it and telling everyone that they'd be sticking with Windows 7.

Now they are all wailing and moaning about Windows 11. Ain't using it. It's rubbish. I'm sticking with Windows 10.

People don't like change. If they want to stay stuck in the past then that's up to them. I'll be jumping to Windows 12 as soon as I can just like I did with W10 and W11. Not saying it will be smooth sailing and I might go back to W11 but I'm excited to see what's new and I'll be more than happy to move over.

Last edited:

kurisu_1974

And i always wonder, what are people doing on their PC that it really needs the newer OS?

Is there something Windows 11 does now that you can't do in 10? Do you really need the newer OS right now? Was the time you spent doing the jump worth it to you? Is it really better in any way? Because so far you only said it's the same, with only one thing that's worse but you don't care that much about. But it's still worse in a small way. Sounds like a waste of time to me.

Well it took like 30 minutes, it was free and I like new things. Also updating is inevitable at some point, so why not just go with it.

nkarafo

Well it took like 30 minutes, it was free and I like new things. Also updating is inevitable at some point, so why not just go with it.

Because as i said, i don't like disrupting my workflow that i got used to for no reason. Might as well delay the inevitable as much as i can. When the point where i'm forced to do so comes, i will. Plus, when i finally do, Windows 11 should be matured and settled, with many solutions for various quirks and regressions already found and solved in various ways. I don't like being a free beta tester for corporations.

yamaci17

I switched for directstorage and has been disappointed
only borked game forspoken uses it and it s only used for loading times
i thought they'd start utilizing dstorage to copy data to GPU VRAM directly from SSD but I guess that is a pipe dream at this point

kurisu_1974

Because as i said, i don't like disrupting my workflow that i got used to for no reason. Might as well delay the inevitable as much as i can. When the point where i'm forced to do so comes, i will. Plus, when i finally do, Windows 11 should be matured and settled, with many solutions for various quirks and regressions already found and solved in various ways. I don't like being a free beta tester for corporations.

I think you're overdramatizing, but you do you.

Topher

Gold Member

That's because Windows 98 was a buggy mess when it launched. It got better eventually, but these were the days when Windows cost of $100. That's over $200 in today's money.

You could also ask what are they doing that would require them to install a new OS. Nothing you listed requires Windows 11. Most people just use whatever was preinstalled on the PC they purchased. So when/if they buy a new PC, they will get the new OS. Why should anyone rush out to get Windows 11 unless there is a very specific reason?

I suspect I'll run 10 until I have no choice or until Microsoft purposefully make it si frustrating to use that people feel like they have to move on to 11.

kurisu_1974

That's because Windows 98 was a buggy mess when it launched. It got better eventually, but these were the days when Windows cost of $100. That's over $200 in today's money.

It was OK at launch, and I'm pretty sure they didn't pay for their ISO.

You could also ask what are they doing that would require them to install a new OS. Nothing you listed requires Windows 11. Most people just use whatever was preinstalled on the PC they purchased. So when/if they buy a new PC, they will get the new OS. Why should anyone rush out to get Windows 11 unless there is a very specific reason?

The sooner you get with the times, the less you are behind when forced to update. Upgrading will happen, so if there is no other specific reason, that still is a valid one, imo. I agree with the other guy, people just don't want change, I mean I have a colleague crying about where his tabs are in Windows Explorer ffs. (they can't be on the side anymore? I have no idea, always avoided non standard customization exact for that reason).

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
It was OK at launch, and I'm pretty sure they didn't pay for their ISO.

No, it really wasn't ok. They turned the OS into a web browser and it crashed constantly. I remember it well. Didn't pay for their ISO? What do you mean? Windows 98 was purchased at retail.

The sooner you get with the times, the less you are behind when forced to update. Upgrading will happen, so if there is no other specific reason, that still is a valid one, imo. I agree with the other guy, people just don't want change, I mean I have a colleague crying about where his tabs are in Windows Explorer ffs.

Like you said above "you do you". Not everyone takes that stance when it comes to upgrading. That's fine too.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Damn man, have you been in Europe in the 90s? But I see you are a last word kinda guy, so I'm out.

It was a simple question. If all you are talking about is your "guys from my example" then that's fine, but it is anecdotal. If you are going to make claims then it doesn't make a lot of sense to get upset and storm off when asked what the claims are based on.

Zorin? I'll have to remember that. I want to like Linux. I really do. It is just hard to. The lack of unity between distros is a huge headache. Sometimes just finding a Linux app that works on all flavors of Linux seems harder than it should. Tried using a simple screen snipping tool in one (Pop OS, I think) but it wouldn't work because Gnome wouldn't allow it. So fine.....swap on your Windows manager. But there are going to be sacrifices. Always are it seems.

Right now, I'm using my Steam Deck as an alternate PC. Posting from it now, in fact. I challenged myself to go a few days just using Linux. It is ok. Works for the most part.
Actually I've been eyeballing newest PopOS progress. They are ditching Gnome entirely. And are writing new envirement from scratch on Iced Rust.

And they will be maintaining UI of cosmic desktop.

I think it will be more snappy and lightweight.

Its supposed to work with Linux apps out of the box and possibly Windows apps.

And it's ditching the spaghetti code of Gnome.

I think it will be first new envirement wrote from scratch in 20 years or so.

Could be huge, its like Mircrosoft just announced it will ditch old Windows code and rewrite everything from scratch to make code extra clean and maintable. And remove unnecessary libs, calls and whatnot.

Native apps will be written in layers, saparate code for UI and seperate code for what the apps will do. Seems already like a jump at least is maintablity of OS. They also won't have to wait for Gnome certification to add new stuff or comunicate with Gnome team at all.

Aparrently its been such a chore. To test your stuff, gnome stuff, waiting for some feedback and certification and so on and so forth.

It's definitely worth to look out for in 2023! Saw some preview screenshots of some of the UI and man, seems like it will be good. Clean and hopefully lightweight.

Edit:

Apparently they've been converting existing Linux apps from GTK to Rust with Iced and are working on HDR implementation which can be at least as good as Win11 hopefully.

And they are adding fictional scaling- I've seen some apps not scaling very well. This should fix this.

More stuff to look out for :lollipop_sunglasses:.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Windows 10 broke itself in such a way that it could no longer install updates, and I was going insane trying to find a working fix without reformatting so I upgraded to Windows 11. Even that took some doing as the same broken issue was preventing the normal upgrade process, but I got it to work by creating an install USB.

It fixed my problem, and carried all my old stuff over seamlessly, so at least there's that. The UI is a bit worse and and less customizable. I can't ungroup my taskbar items or resize the taskbar anymore.

Other than that it's fine. Everything is snappy and runs and loads quick. It's not wildly stupid like Windows 8.

Top Bottom